• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many people who were rooting for Eduardo are missing the point. I felt bad for him too but he was a fucking terrible partner and made some bad bad decisions. If it wasn't for the Parker/Zuckerberg combo there wouldn't be a facebook today.

Dax01 said:
I found myself rooting for Mark the entire time. I know a lot of people feel the same way.
Really? I actually had more sympathy for the twins than Mark. The only guy that is even more obviously "the bad guy" in the movie is the Napster founder.

Seriously, I constantly thought Mark was an asshole, and he's surrounded by unsympathetic characters. That he sometimes gives this puppy-eyed look when Eduardo complains about being treated badly, really won't sway me into liking him. So the first hour and a half I was aggravated that I couldn't really root for anyone, even though the movie is clearly based around several antagonistic, rivaling parties. As I said, it's only towards the end that I'm fully sympathizing with Eduardo because he's being stabbed in the back by his "friend".

Discotheque said:
So many people who were rooting for Eduardo are missing the point. I felt bad for him too but he was a fucking terrible partner and made some bad bad decisions. If it wasn't for the Parker/Zuckerberg combo there wouldn't be a facebook today.
I didn't watch the movie as a cunning business man that gives priority to his business skills over basic decency, I watched it as a regular human being. I'm no CEO, so I'm not familiar with the horrible games and backstabbing maneuvers that go around in that world. I know they exist, but just because they're "facts" doesn't mean I should be sympathizing for the people involved in them. I am however, a regular boring person with friends, so throughout the movie that was the only thing I could relate to, and all I saw was a protagonist that doesn't deserve any friends at all.

820485p36175s04reznor_rossw600h600w556.jpg

Congrats Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross! :D :D

enh09.jpg

Holy shit, Nicole Kidman is so tall!! :lol :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Discotheque said:
This is how I felt. When the movie showed that Eduardo didn't even know how to update his status it was quite overboard in trying to hammer home this point. The dude was out of touch.

I also felt that the movie was propaganda for facebook. For a movie that skirts the privacy issue and makes frequent mention to the value of facebook...not once does the movie mention where facebook's money comes from.

Plumbob

Souldriver said:
Saw the movie today. Some thoughts....

• The OST works well for the movie. As stand alone music, not so much. Not that it has to off course. Just an observation. The music also sounds more like it would fit an '80s / '90s technology related movie. Like the beginning of the internet with AOL and such. Facebook is from 2004, the music sounds far more dated than that.

• ?

The music was pretty brilliant and fit the film perfectly, IMO. Not dated at all just because it incorporates electronic effects.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Why are the characters in this film not black and white? I need a clearly defined protagonist! All my favorite cartoons can do it, why can't this stupid facebook movie?

Gattsu25 said:
This is how I felt. When the movie showed that Eduardo didn't even know how to update his status it was quite overboard in trying to hammer home this point. The dude was out of touch.

I also felt that the movie was propaganda for facebook. For a movie that skirts the privacy issue and makes frequent mention to the value of facebook...not once does the movie mention where facebook's money comes from.
wat

Gattsu25 said:
For a movie that skirts the privacy issue and makes frequent mention to the value of facebook...not once does the movie mention where facebook's money comes from.
Facebook propaganda. That's a good one, dude. Haven't seen that before.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Gattsu25 said:
For a movie that skirts the privacy issue and makes frequent mention to the value of facebook...not once does the movie mention where facebook's money comes from.

A: The movie isn't about Facebook. It's not a history of Facebook, it doesn't cover every facet of Facebook, it's not about Facebook.

B: It ends before the private information stuff really started up, and that stuff has no real bearing on the story.

Blader

Gattsu25 said:

Zuckerberg has denounced the film as fiction since day 1.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah.

I feel that privacy concerns/monetization of facebook should have been addressed at least once in the context of Facebook. Privacy was only briefly mentioned in the movie and it appears that the only reason it was there was to provide Mark with a zing.

For a movie that stressed the future monetary importance of facebook (and even ended with a $25b evaluation) I felt that totally omitting the source of that income was either horribly neglectful or purposefully done.

Gattsu25 said:
Yeah.

I feel that privacy concerns/monetization of facebook should have been addressed at least once in the context of Facebook. Privacy was only briefly mentioned in the movie and it appears that the only reason it was there was to provide Mark with a zing.

For a movie that stressed the future monetary importance of facebook (and even ended with a $25b evaluation) I felt that totally omitting the source of that income was either horribly neglectful or purposefully done.
It's not a story about how Facebook works as a business model. What more can be said?

Gattsu25

Banned
butter_stick said:
It's not a story about how Facebook works as a business model. What more can be said?
So you're saying that it's more of a story about the people behind the creation of facebook as well as the roots of its popularity as a social networking platform?

I'll buy that.

Firestorm

Gattsu25 said:
Yeah.

Why?

FStop7

Banned
Discotheque said:

"Mistakes were made." would have been a good tagline for the film because everyone did their share of fucking up.

Nicole Kidman looks like a Human Swan

Also this movie got robbed at the oscars. I thought it was the best film of 2010 right up there with Inception and Toy Story 3.

One thing that i thought detracted from this film (and theres not many) was the end title song. Its cleverly used, but i just didn't work for me. Everything else was good.

hsin

Banned
Souldriver said:
Really? I actually had more sympathy for the twins than Mark. The only guy that is even more obviously "the bad guy" in the movie is the Napster founder.

Seriously, I constantly thought Mark was an asshole, and he's surrounded by unsympathetic characters. That he sometimes gives this puppy-eyed look when Eduardo complains about being treated badly, really won't sway me into liking him. So the first hour and a half I was aggravated that I couldn't really root for anyone, even though the movie is clearly based around several antagonistic, rivaling parties. As I said, it's only towards the end that I'm fully sympathizing with Eduardo because he's being stabbed in the back by his "friend".

I didn't watch the movie as a cunning business man that gives priority to his business skills over basic decency, I watched it as a regular human being. I'm no CEO, so I'm not familiar with the horrible games and backstabbing maneuvers that go around in that world. I know they exist, but just because they're "facts" doesn't mean I should be sympathizing for the people involved in them. I am however, a regular boring person with friends, so throughout the movie that was the only thing I could relate to, and all I saw was a protagonist that doesn't deserve any friends at all.

It's easy to see where you're coming from and I completely agree that Mark deserved to lose Eduardo's friendship. However, I think Mark deserves to lose the friendship because of HOW he separated with him, not WHY. Eduardo clearly didn't have what was needed to launch Facebook into behemoth status. Parker had the goods; he's an asshole but Facebook was successful because of him. It doesn't take a cunning businessman to see that; it takes a cunning business man to execute it.

Mark comes off as an asshole but I think part of that is his lack of social awareness, his fatal flaw. His inability to connect and form relationships with anyone is what draws sympathy, imo. But yeah, I agree, I hate him too.

Andrex said:
Anyone have a GIF of Mark saying "Oops" to Eduardo?

Also, anyone know the "California" song Dustin plays after the guy wins the hacking shots contest?

California Uber Ailes by The Dead Kennedys. Whats interesting is that the song was made about Jerry Brown who is now once again Governor of the State.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anticitizen One said:
California Uber Ailes by The Dead Kennedys. Whats interesting is that the song was made about Jerry Brown who is now once again Governor of the State.

Ah thanks. The script said it was a Dr. Dre song. :p But I knew that wasn't right.

Ominym

Banned
So I purchased the Blu-Ray a while back off of Amazon. Loving the movie, I sprung for the collectors edition to boot. But after recently cracking it open and watching it, I also decided to watch the bonus features as well; much to my dismay however, I open the case to find this:

448556-img_2851_super.jpg

Instead of a bonus disc, I have two full Blu-Ray copies of the movie, and no bonus disc. I loaded it up regardless to try and see if it was just mislabeled, but it isn't. I searched the interwebs to find that I am not crazy. That said, what on Earth should I even do now? Try to return it to Amazon? Keep it?

Halp GAF.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nightshade1765 said:
So I purchased the Blu-Ray a while back off of Amazon. Loving the movie, I sprung for the collectors edition to boot. But after recently cracking it open and watching it, I also decided to watch the bonus features as well; much to my dismay however, I open the case to find this:

448556-img_2851_super.jpg

Instead of a bonus disc, I have two full Blu-Ray copies of the movie, and no bonus disc. I loaded it up regardless to try and see if it was just mislabeled, but it isn't. I searched the interwebs to find that I am not crazy. That said, what on Earth should I even do now? Try to return it to Amazon? Keep it?

Halp GAF.

Contact Amazon, pretty sure they'll send a replacement copy.

Ominym

Banned
Wario64 said:
Contact Amazon, pretty sure they'll send a replacement copy.
Only thing that kept me from doing that was it not technically being their error, so I wasn't sure if it would matter. I have emailed them now however.

jax (old)

Banned
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/11/josh-pence-cast-as-young-ras-al-ghul-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

http://drlillianglassbodylanguagebl...etwork-film-shows-the-power-of-body-language/

MIND FUCKING BLOWN

WTF!?

is this real?

I thought they cast twins as the winklevoss but apparently not?

So they digitally covered pence's face for the entire movie? I'm kind of blown away. It was flawless this facing matching + body movement And poor josh pence. At least now he's in the new Dark Knight movie.

I now really need to watch Social Network again.

Jax said:
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/11/josh-pence-cast-as-young-ras-al-ghul-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

http://drlillianglassbodylanguagebl...etwork-film-shows-the-power-of-body-language/

MIND FUCKING BLOWN

WTF!?

is this real?

So they digitally covered pence's face for the entire movie? I'm kind of blown away. It was flawless this facing matching + body movement And poor josh pence. At least now he's in the new Dark Knight movie.

Yeah man, it's true. They just put a digital face over him.

Jax said:

MIND FUCKING BLOWN

WTF!?

is this real?

Yeah they talk about it in the Documentary that comes with the Blu-Ray.

WillyFive

Finally got to see the movie. Yeah, the ending was rushed, but what came before it was pretty neat. You got interested on the characters, their relationships with each other, and what happens to them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Willy105 said:
Finally got to see the movie. Yeah, the ending was rushed, but what came before it was pretty neat. You got interested on the characters, their relationships with each other, and what happens to them.

This post seems rushed.

dc89

I'm a bit LTTP here but I bought this today on Blu Ray for £6.

Brilliant film, I loved the soundtrack and the whole thing was really well written and shot. Nothi more to add really.

dc89 said:
I'm a bit LTTP here but I bought this today on Blu Ray for £6.

Brilliant film, I loved the soundtrack and the whole thing was really well written and shot. Nothi more to add really.

Where'd you get it for £6?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to bump the thread after so long, but I couldn't find anything more recent. I was very skeptical of this movie since I first heard about it, but I decided to buy the Blu-ray when I saw it on Amazon for like $8 during their Black Friday sale.

I finally popped it in this Saturday, and wow, what a great film. The cinematography is incredible--easily the best I've seen in any movie in recent years. I love the lighting and the way many scenes are framed. Really, just about everything in the movie is great, from the visuals, to the amazing soundtrack, to the sharp dialogue and expert performances. It all comes together to make a truly gripping movie. I'll definitely be watching this one quite a few more times in the coming years.

Oh, and count me as one of the people who had no idea that the faces of the Winklevoss twins were digitally grafted on. I had no idea until I watched the bonus features on disc two. I wonder if I'll be able to notice it on my next viewing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Obligatory Fincher was robbed post.

I watched The King's Speech the next evening (yesterday), and I really don't have a problem with it getting Best Picture. The performances in The King's Speech were that good, in my opinion.

I still haven't seen True Grit, The Fighter, 127 Hours, or Black Swan, though.

I watched The King's Speech the next evening (yesterday), and I really don't have a problem with it getting Best Picture. The performances in The King's Speech were that good, in my opinion.

I still haven't seen True Grit, The Fighter, 127 Hours, or Black Swan, though.

I said Fincher was robbed. If not for Best Picture, then certainly for Best Director.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I said Fincher was robbed. If not for Best Picture, then certainly for Best Director.

Sure. I really liked The King's Speech, but I must have a fundamental misunderstanding of what 'directing' actually entails if that movie won the Best Director award over The Social Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom