• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Suffering (late to the party or was there any?)

Ranger X

I rented the shit the other day and was surprised. First time i appreciate FPS style of controls in third person. The mood was nice, graphics doing their job and the sound was good. I really like the effect when you see something in the dark horizon and at the same time as the "grun"-like sound of the monster thing the game slows down and blurr. It was the best effect reproducing the feel of a rush of adrenaline from fear i've ever seen! Very nice.

Well, didn't finished it but it was very nice for what i've played (i was finishing the second mine pit). Good game. I feel it's dangerously overlooked by gamers.

For those who have played the game, what do you think about it?

----

Banned
This game is not popular here because it doesn't have the words Silent Hill or Resident Evil in the title.

it was ok. The combat really turned me off though, and made me not want to finish the game. Felt like it should have been a FPS or something.

aku:jiki

I had to review it, and didn't feel very strongly either way about it. The combat was decent, if standardized, when played in first person view, and it had some decent voice actors and a mood that was ok at best but was often ruined by those "horror shots" Wyzdom mentioned. They're flashes of pictures, like deviantart photoshops, that are supposed to shock you. Problem is they come up every other second, so you start getting used to them fast. The story was plain retarded, as well. You didn't even get to check it out half the time, since they'd throw enemies at you when you tried to listen to your wife and/or kids. Maybe that was just my review build. It froze, so I never beat the game. I had just beaten that steam boss, or whatever.

Ah, I dunno. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't really having fun either.

Ranger X

aku:jiki said:
but was often ruined by those "horror shots" Wyzdom mentioned. They're flashes of pictures, like deviantart photoshops, that are supposed to shock you. Problem is they come up every other second, so you start getting used to them fast.

err, actually it's not what i mentionned at all. Yes those screens appearing suddenly while you play are really shitty and bad idea. What i was talking about was when there's an effect to recreate the feel of a rush of adrenaline or something and the game slowdown and blur volontarily (spell?). Anyhow, i did like this effect alot when it's not used for some "on the fly" cut-scene where the wife or the child talk with the main character.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I was at that party. It was ok.
Game got pretty repetitive near the end. And I hated the language through it. But the game controlled well and stay pretty intense throughout. I enjoyed it, great rental.

Pimpbaa

I somewhat enjoyed it through my initial play through. After I finished it however, I had no desire to play it again so I consider it a bad game.

Hellraizah

Wyzdom, please explain why you rent this before even taking a shot at Splinter Cell ?

That's like watching Van Helsing when you could be watching The Shawshank Redemption.

Bog

Junior Ace
Ninja Scooter said:
it was ok. The combat really turned me off though, and made me not want to finish the game. Felt like it should have been a FPS or something.

You do realize you can play the whole game in first person, right?

Ranger X

I thought you knew my friend. I feel no rush to play the Splinter Cell series. My interest is not there simply. I didn't like the demo version back then, it did turn me off. Also i like this type of game but taken lightly, more arcade = Metal Gear Solid series. Splinter Cell looks fucking serious and implies being to dedicated for me for now. But as i said to you once or twice, i'm gonna really try Splinter Cell in some futur. The likes of next time i'll come to Oneself's place or something.

I enjoyed it. Not the best game ever, but far better than I expected.

I really enjoyed some of the enemy designs. Particularly the guys with swords for limbs. Not because of how they looked, but how they acted.

So many times they would fly right by my character literally out of nowhere. I'd think I was fighting one and I'd suddenly be surrounded. In a hallway, one slowly walked towards me and grated his bladed arm against the wall. I think the best thing they do is when they jump up to the ceiling and walk around like spiders. You can't even see them half the time, but you hear them clanking around up there. If you manage to shoot them when they're hanging from something, sometimes their whole body will go limp and the corpse will hang by the one blade still wedged in the ceiling. I wish more games spent time on a single enemy like that.

I thought the sub-boss fights were cool too. Not run of the mill, at least.

Top Bottom