• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie is now the third biggest animated movie ever, behind only Frozen and Frozen 2.

Draugoth

Gold Member
mario-movie-wide-mario-tap-1280x535.jpg

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Illumination and Nintendo adaptation cleared $1.248 billion in worldwide ticket sales this week, which puts it ahead of the previous third-placed animated film The Incredibles 2 (2018, $1.243 billion).

According to The Numbers, a site which collates global movie ticket sales data, only Disney’s Frozen 2 ($1.284 billion) and Frozen ($1.452 billion) have generated more than the Mario Bros. Movie, which puts it within a chance of topping the table.

ALL TIME WORLDWIDE ANIMATED BOX OFFICE​

Source: The Numbers

12019Frozen II$1,453,683,476
22013Frozen$1,284,540,518
32023The Super Mario Bros. Movie$1,253,606,176
42018Incredibles 2$1,242,805,359
52015Minions$1,157,271,759
62019Toy Story 4$1,073,064,540
72010Toy Story 3$1,068,879,522
82017Despicable Me 3$1,032,809,657
92016Finding Dory$1,025,006,125
102016Zootopia$1,002,462,578

It’s the biggest film of 2023 to date, ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which launched a month after Mario and has grossed $659 million, according to Box Office Mojo.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm not sure why they're rushing it.
Prob thinking that a lot of cinemas will reduce the number of Theaters it's on due to bigger movies coming out, so they wanna cash in on the hype.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Umbasaborne

Banned
You can bet other studios are now staring at video game ip’s they can license with dollar signs in their eyes. I think the age of the comic book movie is ending, and we are entering the era of good game adaptations. They have been on an upswing lately. Mario, Sonic 1 and 2, and Pikachu were all pretty good and successful. The last of us was good and successful. Halo may not have been good but it got a lot of viewership

Last edited:

Andyliini

It performed wonderfully, especially post covid. It will probably pass Frozen, but not Frozen II, that is too far ahead to catch now.

Oh, and this list does not seem to count the Lion King remake, that has crossed over 1,6 billion at box office. How did that movie cross so much, I'll never understand.

Unknown?

Are all these figures adjusted for inflation? If not it's pretty meaningless. I'm sure after hyper inflation Zimbabwe had movies that racked in quadrillions. 1B in 2010 is the equivalent of 1,394,000,000 in 2023 for example.

That said, I'm still impressed and happy it did so well!

Last edited:

Eotheod

Deserved.

Perfect movie for kids, just a fun ride for the family, something Disney and Hollywood don’t care about anymore cuz woke propaganda is more important.

Movies actually good, glad disney is on suicide watch rn, strange world is an ok movie but the wokeness is so forced its pretty cringe while lightyear did it the right way
Like clockwork in every Mario thread. Does the "woke" propaganda know it's living rent free in your minds?

Anyway, it was a fantastic film that truly had me smiling like a little school boy seeing all the nods to my early childhood. Fiance and I loved it, even if the story was somewhat rushed it still had heart. Apparently that's hard to critique appropriately for many reviewers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You can bet other studios are now staring at video game ip’s they can license with dollar signs in their eyes. I think the age of the comic book movie is ending, and we are entering the era of good game adaptations. They have been on an upswing lately. Mario, Sonic 1 and 2, and Pikachu were all pretty good and successful. The last of us was good and successful. Halo may not have been good but it getting a lot of viewership

I’d say that’s already happening. Nintendo is the gold mine though. I’d say a lot less gaming franchises are going to do well in comparison to comic-book character movies.

Rran

Good for Mario; it's destined to work its way up to number two but that's likely as far as it goes. Weird that The Lion King (remake) isn't on here, but that's just as well because it sucks.

I can't see Illumination doing justice to Zelda. In a perfect world, Nintendo would work with Ghibli on that.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Good for Mario; it's destined to work its way up to number two but that's likely as far as it goes. Weird that The Lion King (remake) isn't on here, but that's just as well because it sucks.

I can't see Illumination doing justice to Zelda. In a perfect world, Nintendo would work with Ghibli on that.
There is no world in which a hand animated ghibli film appeals to todays children in the same way a cg animated movie by illumination does. Yes, hand drawn 2d ghibli zelda would undoubtedly be better, but children wont want to watch that 5 times in a row, and it will bomb at the box office

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Was a well animated movie and a lot of little touches for fans. You can’t help but smile at some of call-outs like Diddy baby Mario and Luigi and perfectly timed nostalgic sound effects and touches. You can tell a lot of love went into the movie. Legend of Zelda might work or Luigi’s mansion. Yes the plot was basic, but that was enough.

Mhmmm 2077

It will become 2nd biggest soon enough, as the movie isn't yet in cinemas in some countries... yeah don't ask me why, but it's premiering this Friday in Poland.

Mhmmm 2077

No other Nintendo IP can work like Mario in an movie's adaptation
Why do you think so? I'm sure you could make amazing movies out of Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero and Kid Icarus. And probably a bunch more that I didn't mention.

Top Bottom