• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

billsmugs

The very top is a point of no return, as you guessed, but you can restore an earlier save and clean up the stars after the fact.

Thanks, I think I'll
finish the tower first then, and reload to get the last few tricky stars afterwards.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game, holy crap

I just finished it. What an immensely rewarding game.

(End game spoilers.)
Does anything happen if you choose eternal life earlier in the game?

Sciz

(End game spoilers.)
Does anything happen if you choose eternal life earlier in the game?

Alternate ending. Short, but it really drives home the nature and purpose of the simulation, and Elohim's gameplan.

Blizzard

Banned
Just finished. Incredible game with a great ending. You guys should play it.
I suspect the people in this thread are most likely to have been playing it, compared to other posters. :p I've been playing it, but I still have a couple of C levels to finish, and like 15 stars to hunt down, before I'm done with the game.

epmode

I suspect the people in this thread are most likely to have been playing it, compared to other posters.

Man, it's hard to get GAF to play games I know they'd love if they gave it a chance.

PC exclusives are better off here than they were a few years ago but it's still an uphill fight.

Waiting to see if this goes any deeper on the Steam sale, but if not I'll grab it by the end. Heard nothing but good things and it seems like it'll kinda scratch that Witness itch.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, it's hard to get GAF to play games I know they'd love if they gave it a chance.

PC exclusives are better off here than they were a few years ago but it's still an uphill fight.
You should probably be glad. At least it's this way, with 99% positive reviews on Steam, and presumably selling well enough for those who do try it. If more people find out, it can be a game that people enjoy as they come across it.

If it were more popular, or everyone was lauding it ala Portal, you might face a backlash of people saying it's overrated, or too pretentious, or whatnot. :p

Waiting to see if this goes any deeper on the Steam sale, but if not I'll grab it by the end. Heard nothing but good things and it seems like it'll kinda scratch that Witness itch.
I'm almost certain I saw mention of the developer confirming it will not go below 10% this sale, since it just came out. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jonathan Blow said there will be comparisons for the Witness, but he seemed to think there would be enough differences. Hopefully it won't feel too similar when/if I get to play it.

I haven't bought the game but I did play their iOs spinoff that gave me free codes to use within this game. For some reason, Mode "C" is off limits despite finishing all the puzzles. Can anyone who played it explain why? Is it something to do with owning the main game?

Sciz

The C puzzles were only recently released on the PC version, presumably the mobile build hasn't been updated yet.

Tizoc

Is this game comparable to portal 2?
In terms of puzzles i mean.
I worry the puzzles may be to tricky for me :p

Blizzard

Banned
I finished all the normal levels, but still have 9 stars to get. I was a bit saddened because I solved a puzzle late in the game:
The one to get to the stairway up to the top of the tower
, but when I died or reloaded later, the latest autosave didn't have that puzzle solved. I hope there's a way to make the game autosave after it, like
going back down the tower
, since it's slightly time-consuming and irritating to solve.

B5 question about an easter egg:
I found a mounted binocular thing looking away from the level, but it beeps when I try to use it. It says keys only, insert keys. Unfortunately...that level seems to have NO puzzles with keys in them. Is there a set of keys hidden somewhere in the level anyway? (Unfortunately, if there are, they're probably buried in grass or underwater...or maybe launched from a weird fan I found in one spot but haven't gotten to yet)

voodooray

Is this game comparable to portal 2?
In terms of puzzles i mean.
I worry the puzzles may be to tricky for me :p

Try the free public test. If you can manage these, you'll be fine. Generally, the game does a great job of easing you into the game-solving mechanics, except for a couple of things which I felt were not exactly clear up front (or if they were, I missed them):

• Placing cubes on top of robots
  • Placing cubes under existing cubes that are already on top of active fans to boost them higher
  • Being able to pick up connectors, without losing Line of Sight to the things they were already connected to.
There are more, but I'll avoid describing them, as I feel they are intended for finding secrets rather than completing the core game.

B5 question about an easter egg:
I found a mounted binocular thing looking away from the level, but it beeps when I try to use it. It says keys only, insert keys. Unfortunately...that level seems to have NO puzzles with keys in them. Is there a set of keys hidden somewhere in the level anyway? (Unfortunately, if there are, they're probably buried in grass or underwater...or maybe launched from a weird fan I found in one spot but haven't gotten to yet)

The view finders always require a key to use and the key can be found within the level / area you find the view finder. They're not like puzzle keys which glow and hover, they're a single small key that can be usually found on the ground / hidden near the view finder itself.

I'd recommend just looking on the ground thoroughly near where you see the view finder. The B5 one is really close by and the water guess is a good one. It'll come up saying "use" when you hover over the key and it'll just be added to you and you can use it then.

Tizoc

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get it on the last day of the sale, just in case it goes on a deeper discount.

Blizzard

Banned
The view finders always require a key to use and the key can be found within the level / area you find the view finder. They're not like puzzle keys which glow and hover, they're a single small key that can be usually found on the ground / hidden near the view finder itself.

I'd recommend just looking on the ground thoroughly near where you see the view finder. The B5 one is really close by and the water guess is a good one. It'll come up saying "use" when you hover over the key and it'll just be added to you and you can use it then.
Thanks. That was the first of those (easter egg spoiler)
viewfinders I had found

I ended up finding ANOTHER easter egg in B5 while I was scouring it:
The warp to the place with Pink Floyd music, though it took me forever to figure out how to get there.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get it on the last day of the sale, just in case it goes on a deeper discount.

The Talos Principle won't be getting a deeper discount. It'll remain at 10%.

Thanks. That was the first of those (easter egg spoiler)
viewfinders I had found

I ended up finding ANOTHER easter egg in B5 while I was scouring it:
The warp to the place with Pink Floyd music, though it took me forever to figure out how to get there.

Nice!
Yeah, that's a great easter egg! Getting there can be a real pain but it's good you figured it out. Be on the lookout for a couple more view finders in other levels too!

Blizzard

Banned
One other question about something that's either an easter egg or a star in a B level, outside all the puzzles:

There is a boarded-up hole in the ground. You can't take axes into levels. Should I scour this level looking for an axe somewhere, e.g. in the sand?

I don't want told what to do, but I do want to know if I'm on the right track before I spend an hour looking for an axe outside the puzzle areas that's not there. :p

*edit* Also I somehow missed audio log 15, and I've been pretty thorough about looking over the whole area each time I reach a new level. Does anyone happen to even know what level this would be in, so I can search for it?

Tizoc

Then I'll get soon I guess. Someone in the BST is offering it for $25, which is tempting.
Hope I like it though =3

One other question about something that's either an easter egg or a star in a B level, outside all the puzzles:

There is a boarded-up hole in the ground. You can't take axes into levels. Should I scour this level looking for an axe somewhere, e.g. in the sand?

I don't want told what to do, but I do want to know if I'm on the right track before I spend an hour looking for an axe outside the puzzle areas that's not there. :p

Hmmm, You're definitely on the right track, though I will say it's not explicitly an axe. Though there is *something* in that level you can use to break down those doors, it's just a case of finding it. If you can't find it there's always more hints but if you look around you should eventually come across what you need.

*edit* Also I somehow missed audio log 15, and I've been pretty thorough about looking over the whole area each time I reach a new level. Does anyone happen to even know what level this would be in, so I can search for it?

Audio Log 15 is located in the Area C Memorial / Messenger world, the one you should have broken open with the axe.

deoee

Wow, I just played the "demo" and it's very interesting and chill to play. Why didn't I hear anything about this game before? :eek:

Blizzard

Banned
Then I'll get soon I guess. Someone in the BST is offering it for $25, which is tempting.
Hope I like it though =3
Worst case just ask in the thread and someone should be able to help you if you get stuck and don't want to puzzle it out. There's also a way to get 3 hints total ingame if you want to use those, too, if you've covered all the levels and there are a couple of puzzles you just can't seem to beat.

Hmmm, You're definitely on the right track, though I will say it's not explicitly an axe. Though there is *something* in that level you can use to break down those doors, it's just a case of finding it. If you can't find it there's always more hints but if you look around you should eventually come across what you need.
I'll look for something that's not an axe then. I found some bones (couldn't pick any of them up) and found a coconut (couldn't pick that up EITHER, unfortunately).

gabbo

The OP just sold me on the game, which I had been weary of, for much the same 'Serious Sam dev, what do they know about puzzles' it calls out.

Game seemed promissing since the unveil, is now confirmed to be great (maybe puzzle game of the year). Would gladly pay the 40 as it has really high production values for the genre.

My most wanted game to play as of now, too bad i don't have equipment that can play this XD

Of topic question: Guardian of Light was 30 or so correct? For some reason i can't find the launch price.

Blizzard

Banned
Game seemed promissing since the unveil, is now confirmed to be great (maybe puzzle game of the year). Would gladly pay the 40 as it has really high production values for the genre.

My most wanted game to play as of now, too bad i don't have equipment that can play this XD

Of topic question: Guardian of Light was 30 or so correct? For some reason i can't find the launch price.
Can your computer run Serious Sam 3, if you have it? You could also try the free "demo" version on Steam to see how it runs. It seems to have a ton of options and run pretty smoothly.

One more comment about easter eggs, very minor spoiler about computer messages:
I wonder if anyone else was as OCD as me and used a hex editor to translate all the hex in the middle of computer messages? Most of it was just bits of quotes, or perhaps stuff about philosophical themes, but I did like the one about Serious Engine 7 or some other really high number.

Inkwell

Banned
One more comment about easter eggs, very minor spoiler about computer messages:
I wonder if anyone else was as OCD as me and used a hex editor to translate all the hex in the middle of computer messages? Most of it was just bits of quotes, or perhaps stuff about philosophical themes, but I did like the one about Serious Engine 7 or some other really high number.

I was tempted to do this but thought it would be too tedious. I figured I would let other people do the work for me.

By the way, there are so many easter eggs it's just ridiculous. Currently there's 39 listed in the steam easter egg guide, with one of them being less of an easter egg and more story related.

And it's currently PC exclusive. GAF is still a console focused forum in terms of overall interest.

Personally, I've put it on my list of things to play when I get done with the other dozen or so things on that list ;)

Same here, would get this but have several games I just bought. Will get it on the PS4 as my PC is an entry level laptop.

Aces&Eights

Anyone have a link to a full walkthrough of this game? I stumbled across it last night and ended up watching 13 episodes
(up to half way through the Egyptian level and where the computer just admitted to trolling you about being another person lost on the world
and I really want to see the rest of the game. Don't have a PC worth a damn but I feel like I've been there since the beginning and I reeeeeally want to know what is in the damn
tower!

Inkwell

Banned
Check if you have "Alternative Use" in the keyboard and mouse settings bound to something. Mine wasn't by default, so I used middle mouse button.

Wow, I'm a little peeved about this. I was using a controller and never thought to change the controls. It should have defaulted that to LT or something.

Anyone have a link to a full walkthrough of this game? I stumbled across it last night and ended up watching 13 episodes
(up to half way through the Egyptian level and where the computer just admitted to trolling you about being another person lost on the world
and I really want to see the rest of the game. Don't have a PC worth a damn but I feel like I've been there since the beginning and I reeeeeally want to know what is in the damn
tower!

My playlist here has a full walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaDGtkBY6zFmMx75bBmYCTHRBoXjPwTbc

Though it's basically me playing the game for the first time so I commentate and take my time solving the puzzles in some cases. Part 6 is the start of the second area and a lot after that is exported from Twitch, as I played it completely on there. But if you want the story, it's there. Don't watch if you don't want to see me get stuck and take hours on a certain section at one point though, hahaha. I guess you can always scrub through.

It has all of the worthwhile Easter Eggs and the different endings too.

voodooray

Hah! Your reactions at
the top of the tower
were pretty much identical to my own, cursing and all. Although you caught on much sooner than I did that
Samsara was sabotaging your attempts. It was only after re-reading the QR codes from both Shepherd and Samsara that made me understand to stop trying to help her/him/it =)

This game was fantastic. I'm going to mess about with the Talos Editor now (under Tools in Steam).

Hah! Your reactions at
the top of the tower
were pretty much identical to my own, cursing and all. Although you caught on much sooner than I did that
Samsara was sabotaging your attempts. It was only after re-reading the QR codes from both Shepherd and Samsara that made me understand to stop trying to help her/him/it =)

This game was fantastic. I'm going to mess about with the Talos Editor now (under Tools in Steam).

Hahaha, that's great.
Yeah, that was really funny to me. Especially at that point. Came all the way to the end and I was really pushing to finish the game and Samsara was sabotaging me! Good stuff.

Still haven't messed around with that yet but will definitely check it out soon!

I've been pushing through the DLC and it's a chore. All the puzzles are in a random order and it's like an endurance test of the some of the hardest from the game back-to-back, with maybe a couple of unused / different ones. I did PuzzleSet-03 the other day and it took me about 2 HOURS 15 MINUTES. Almost killed me. My brain was fried by the end and the best part is I'd done most of them in the main game, but damn, repeatedly doing puzzle rooms with no down time is a killer.

Laws00

not something id play. i saw the game trailer review and didnt watch it. i said to myself talos? skyrim

Sciz

not something id play. i saw the game trailer review and didnt watch it. i said to myself talos? skyrim

And if you actually do watch that review, you'll find yet another guy struggling to put into words just how good the game is.

So I got enough pieces to unlock whatever the fan symbol is but I can't remember where I found it to unlock it. Any help?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

This game is so good. It's sad that this thread is only 4 pages. :/

Inkwell

Banned
Good news everyone! I've been watching lots of Futurama.

Also, I just noticed that you can pick up The Talos Principle for $28.80 on Green Man Gaming using the %20 off code:

WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE

You can wait for a better discount code/sale later on, but as far as I know this is the best deal for the game currently. That is unless you have better discount code in an e-mail from GMG. Totally worth picking up for that price for those of you on the fence.

I didn't see a timer, but it's listed under the 48 hour sales. I'm not sure how much longer it will be on sale.

Tizoc

OK so running it on Direct X11 isn't a good idea.
Set it to DirectX 9 and it runs better.

Game crashes on me as I was trying to find the right graphics settings, but what settings take up most resources? I want it to run at 60 FPS but still look good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone's curious, I played this on a 2013 Macbook Air, and despite the "below minimum requirements" warning, the game played just fine on medium settings. There was one dark room in world B with lots of shadows that caused weird visual glitches on low settings, but otherwise it was fine.

Tizoc

Got all pieces in World 1, and so far I'm enjoying it.
My FPS is at 40 average with settings at High, but I'll have everything but CPU at Medium and set AA to Low and hopefully I get it running at 60 FPS @_@

Here are m specs
Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 770M

Top Bottom