• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Final Fantasy XVI has a medieval approach to diversity

Are you a diversity supporter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GymWolf

Might give it a go but every FF I tried, I ended up disliking. Most recently, I tried FFVII Remake and got bored.

There's just too much stuff out there to bother with games you're not interested in. FF games also tend to be very long and with huge games like Starfield, Spider-Man, Lords of the Fallen on the horizon, along with the humongous one I'm playing in now TOTK, it's unlikely I'll bother with FF XVI.

I hope it's good for those who like it though and I might pick it up down the line if it's really good. Who knows? I might end up liking it.
Ff7 remake is no bueno so it is understandable.

This one is actually good, also the campaign should only be around 25 hours and the level of challenge doesn't seems high enough for you to grind and lose steam.

Last edited:
Being of Mixed race I am going to touch on this and I'm only going to say it once. Their not having black characters in this game was not an accident and it is the right call. Having played a bit of it and been spoiled to a bit more the story is very SLAVE heavy. Putting black characters in that situation would have caused a complete and utter shit show. The world lore even states that there are other continents, we don't know what or who lives there. As for the idiots on the other site calling for people to review it lower, that is one of the dumbest things I have heard this year.

Lunarorbit

Now are the characters in ff16 white or are they really Asian? Like in anime where a character can look white but you'll get beat to death on the internet for suggesting it.

I'm kidding but this would be a line of trolling I could get behind

Now are the characters in ff16 white or are they really Asian? Like in anime where a character can look white but you'll get beat to death on the internet for suggesting it.

I'm kidding but this would be a line of trolling I could get behind
Doesn't matter. Depending on what point they're trying to make asians are "white adjacent" or some other bullshit term they make up to support their narrative.

Puscifer

Would be great if English media stopped shoving their political nonsense on the whole world.

Maybe these people should take a trip to Japan and look around.

Not every piece of media needs to have this sort of scrutiny.
I've been to Japan on vacation twice and lived there for 6 months,this comment is kinda dumb lol

Myths

Y’all need to quit bumping this thread. They wanted to use white people, it was the vision they had and they did. It’s that simple.
It’s basically this, but the fault might be in their statement being incoherent considering it’s fantasy (the standard retort). It’s quite clear they have a predilection for Caucasians in FF, but also that it’s likely what they think appeals more to their target market.

Also, their excuse or statement given was going to catch heat regardless due to either misrepresentation or (as we have here) scrutiny.

We know what it is, let’s stop capping.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I've been to Japan on vacation twice and lived there for 6 months,this comment is kinda dumb lol

Oh is it? So you lived there for 6 months and went on vacation twice, but you never turned on the tv?

That’s funny. Or is the whole premise around your remark that they have tourists, and the odd white that went there to work or maybe is a son of an expat? And where in Japan? In Tokyo where almost no one speaks English or outside Tokyo where nobody speaks English.

Tell me how much diversity is there in their culture. Please.

Edit: laughing emoji of course

Google.

“What is the racial makeup of Japan?

Japanese 98.1%, Chinese 0.5%, Korean 0.4%, other 1% (includes Filipino, Vietnamese, and Brazilian) (2016 est.) Religions: Shintoism 70.4%, Buddhism 69.8%, Christianity 1.5%, other 6.9% (2015 est.) Japan is a very homogenous society and has varying perceptions about immigration within the country.”

But I’m waiting, because you think you’re the only person I’ve talked to who has been to Japan, or lived in Japan.

I know English teachers who have been there for decades, married local, became parents. But tell me how the experience of a COD player was completely different and Japan is this really diverse country.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Why are journalists in modern media working in the games field so keen to take every opportunity to destroy the very industry they are reporting on.
Let the creators create, it's their product... not yours.

Irobot82

I wonder how much actual thought goes into people pushing diversity for diversity's sake.
Shows like Rings of Power and the Wheel of Time.
Imagine you have with small village that has existed for presumedly hundreds of years. Several generations. There's a handful of different ethnicities. Without strictly breeding within your own race, wouldn't, after a few generations down the road, the entire village mostly become homogonous again. Just a pure mixture? It never made much sense to me.

Regional diversity made much more sense to me. Like in GoT.

Puscifer

Oh is it? So you lived there for 6 months and went on vacation twice, but you never turned on the tv?

That’s funny. Or is the whole premise around your remark that they have tourists, and the odd white that went there to work or maybe is a son of an expat? And where in Japan? In Tokyo where almost no one speaks English or outside Tokyo where nobody speaks English.

Tell me how much diversity is there in their culture. Please.
You're right, I don't really watch TV and haven't regularly since I was like 14 and Dragon Ball Z ended it's run and everything else I pirated or bought on DVD/blu ray.

Generally speaking staying in Japan to say that stay that there's no foreigners living, running businesses and in relationships either with themselves or other Japanese is kind of a joke. Hell, even with the birth decline you're seeing more and more "diversity" in their work force in all fronts.

Even then no one really cared, you're visiting or living and there's nothing but indifference. Turns out, people live their lives day to day and try to make it like everyone else and foreigners living there is just part of the norm.

You sound like a those weebs in high school, get over yourself dude.

StueyDuck

sounds to me like they aren't trying to get brownie points from idiots, which means the game is probably gonna be good.

thank you idiot journos, you really have made game decision making easier than ever. if a journo is offended the game is great, easy.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You're right, I don't really watch TV and haven't regularly since I was like 14 and Dragon Ball Z ended it's run and everything else I pirated or bought on DVD/blu ray.

Generally speaking staying in Japan to say that stay that there's no foreigners living, running businesses and in relationships either with themselves or other Japanese is kind of a joke. Hell, even with the birth decline you're seeing more and more "diversity" in their work force in all fronts.

Even then no one really cared, you're visiting or living and there's nothing but indifference. Turns out, people live their lives day to day and try to make it like everyone else and foreigners living there is just part of the norm.

You sound like a those weebs in high school, get over yourself dude.

You got nothing. Stats and experience from people from there, or who have created a life there don’t align with your experience.

Footprint of foreigners in Japan is minuscule and concentrated in Tokyo. Japan has 125 million people, around 3 million are foreigners with resident status. Most of the foreigners are from other Asian countries. Not that it matters all that much, but the point that Japan is a very very homogeneous society isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact. So pull your head out of your ass.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And now the boycotting has started on Reee...

You mean it'll be as successful as Hogwarts?

stephen colbert GIF

So just a warning but the image I Spoiler tagged spoils some stuff in relation to a character that triggers lots of Retardera users. Let's just say when this game finally comes out on Steam, I will be fully supporting the game due to triggering the Woke. What was spoiled was what got me more interested in the game. I'm rolling my eyes and laughing at the post at the same time

UAb6pxD.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

What's hilarious is that the Resetera thread has lot of posts from people of colour who are like, nope not boycotting, fine with it. Which is the same as me.

Would guess a lot of these race obsessed lunatics are white.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What's hilarious is that the Resetera thread has lot of posts from people of colour who are like, nope not boycotting, fine with it. Which is the same as me.

Would guess a lot of these race obsessed lunatics are white.

Self-hating ones. I really don't understand it. Could it be a side effect of consuming a lot of BBC? You know, the British Broadcast Channel?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Might give it a go but every FF I tried, I ended up disliking. Most recently, I tried FFVII Remake and got bored.
If FFVII Remake bored you then this isn't gonna be anymore fun.
In fact it maybe more boring to you.

Also
covering marginalized gamers and their communities, writing about the intersection of video games and sex, and finding a way to make the general video gaming public care about the Overwatch League.
How the fuck is this a thing when their ONLY job is to tell us if it's fun or not to play..

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Self-hating ones. I really don't understand it. Could it be a side effect of consuming a lot of BBC? You know, the British Broadcast Channel?
A lot of this ideology developed on American college campuses, particularly the West Coast and then spread out from there. The BBC, along with a lot of western media, corporations, institutions and some politicians are now parroting and implementing them. But overall would say the diversity push is American ideological colonialism, as they're trying to force it upon other cultures. Which is ironic...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A lot of this ideology developed on American college campuses, particularly the West Coast and then spread out from there. The BBC, along with a lot of western media, corporations, institutions and some politicians are now parroting and implementing them. But overall would say the diversity push is American ideological colonialism, as they're trying to force it upon other cultures. Which is ironic...

I'm sorry about that, but I think maybe I was a bit too subtle.

The Rock Humor GIF by E!

I wonder how much actual thought goes into people pushing diversity for diversity's sake.
Shows like Rings of Power and the Wheel of Time.
Imagine you have with small village that has existed for presumedly hundreds of years. Several generations. There's a handful of different ethnicities. Without strictly breeding within your own race, wouldn't, after a few generations down the road, the entire village mostly become homogonous again. Just a pure mixture? It never made much sense to me.

Regional diversity made much more sense to me. Like in GoT.
Wheel of Time made me so sad.. it's literally a bloodline passed down in the Two Rivers and a town that maybe gets a (singular) peddler once a year... Yet it's a multiculti chill out zone. That really brings me out of the experience. Jordan already wrote in a variety of races/colors into the book - just not in that village. It's dumbfounding and so obviously agenda driven.

Eurogamer ahahahaha WOW

Make a whole article around a Ree thread that was created today. This is insane!
Sadly eurogamer have gone down the toilet. They were shown to be hypocrites when they refused to review Hogwarts yet reviewed Nintendo games who the Saudis have shares in or any game owned by tencent.

Used to be a decent site 5-10 years ago. Even the forum was good, and I’m sure a lot of them would be laughing at the current eurogamer. Now they lost a few key people and hired woke idiots.

Wheel of Time made me so sad.. it's literally a bloodline passed down in the Two Rivers and a town that maybe gets a (singular) peddler once a year... Yet it's a multiculti chill out zone. That really brings me out of the experience. Jordan already wrote in a variety of races/colors into the book - just not in that village. It's dumbfounding and so obviously agenda driven.

I've been starting to read those books

I finished Book 1 recently and loved it

The TV show not so much

Myths

Well, this issue fired up again with the release of the game only days from us. As I said before, there are a few different angles just like in life.

it’s not that one side or the other is incorrect. The most important lesson to take away from this is it’s incumbent on them to make sure any statement given is coherent.

A few bullet points I’ve seen from both sides:

• They only chose to represent wars involving Caucasians
  • Because that’s what they understand the most to represent accurately
  • But by not including other incidences and events during that time period, it can be perceived as sweeping wanton issues under the rug
  • But at the same time, misrepresenting it would do a great injustice to what really took place if they lack understanding
  • But then that goes back to understanding and being responsible with the narrative and subject matter being portrayed
  • Realistically speaking, every little thing isn’t going to be included
  • But they found the time to include X, Y, and Z elements/subjects
  • I mean it’s fantasy
  • Ah yes, fantasy yet it’s always cherry-picked to include the Caucasian saviors of the world
  • Are you going to complain about these P, Q, R games?
  • Yet the minute the MC is black, gay, and/or female it’s considered pandering and “shoehorning”
  • And how did that work out? Seems like there was more backlash even from those who identified/resonated with those characters
  • So again, would it be best to stick to what they know instead?
  • Perhaps, or do their due diligence
  • The world really doesn’t owe anyone any understanding
  • Until it’s a black, gay, and/or female character that expect everyone else to call devs out on
  • Nobody outside NA really cares
  • Because historically these issues are more pronounced in NA
  • It doesn’t take place there though?
  • But the foundation of the western world, especially NA, is innately tied to the history of western EU
Just some things I’ve observed across the board.

Also, asked my great buddy ChatGPT:
5xXuKnx.jpg

nONglnA.jpg
sLYHN33.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Forspoken JUST came out and featured a black female lead.

Kotaku wrote a hit piece about how they visited the dev team and noticed a lack of diversity, and about how Frey had some problematic stereotypes or some shit. There was a part about how they brought in BIPOC consultants to make sure their story was authentic blah blah blah

Then Polygon (I think? One of those shit sites) wrote an article complaining about how Forspoken doesn’t really count because they portrayed a black person in a fantasy world where racism doesn’t exist.

These people are a bunch of lying, opportunistic, self-serving parasites. They don’t really want “diversity”, what they really want is propagandistic overt moralizing with minorities in stereotype-shattering Mary Sue type roles. And that shit is so trite, boring, and played out.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

Forspoken JUST came out and featured a black female lead.

Kotaku wrote a hit piece about how they visited the dev team and noticed a lack of diversity, and about how Frey had some problematic stereotypes or some shit. There was a part about how they brought in BIPOC consultants to make sure their story was authentic blah blah blah

Then Polygon (I think? One of those shit sites) wrote an article complaining about how Forspoken doesn’t really count because they portrayed a black person in a fantasy world where racism doesn’t exist.

These people are a bunch of lying, opportunistic, self-serving parasites. They don’t really want “diversity”, what they really want is propagandistic overt moralizing with minorities in stereotype-shattering Mary Sue type roles. And that shit is so trite, boring, and played out.
This, 100%. We had articles calling Forspoken racist for starting the game with Frey in court. Then we had other articles from the same clique calling it racist for not portraying ENOUGH in-game racism towards Frey. I didn’t see a single article, anywhere, that celebrated the fact that a major new Square IP had a black protagonist.

There’s no way to win. They WILL punish developers. They just don’t always know why yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom