• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now that I think of it, the only real scene that irked me in this last episode was Herschel passing off his father's pocket watch to Glenn "because of what happened back at the bar"?? The scene seemed out of place in general, but I didn't understand how Glenn's actions in town convinced Herschel that he was right for Maggie..

you didn't notice how when they got back, maggie ran past herschel who thought she was runnign towards him; and she ran to glenn. I think its a bit of bar + this.

I think (well I know) that people here are quick to judge. I think people should watch the next 2 episodes before you start picking at everything the writers have chosen to do recently, because it's all leading to a few things. Important things.

its called a season finale. things happen! *and I was already spoilered by stupidly reading the other thread.

its called a season finale. things happen!
no but I mean the things that people are criticising, like specific things, aren't done because this and that are stupid, they are done because they're leading to something. Obviously I won't say, that's the other thread is for. But I guess it makes it more fun to see how people's opinions on things change from week to week. It's amusing. But it also makes the weeks in between longer :(

And I'm not defending the overall writing, I think this shows writing is at its worst when it tries to have serious/philosophical discussions. But I don't think it's so terribad otherwise.

oktarb

Carl is terrible now too, the kid is a completely psycho, schizophrenic mania taking over his brain. Seriously, what is this kid? He's all fucking blood thirsty like a demon baby but he can only toss rocks at a zombie? He's all "let's name the kid sophia" and now it's "SOPHIA IS DONE, YO"? Why the fuck is he wandering in the woods by himself or doing anything by himself? Why is Shane teaching him out to live his life? GRIMES, get a hold of your shit, for the love of fucking God.

I kinda take this at a different angle. All the death is taking its toll on his very malleable kid brain. Boys are notorious for messing with animals and learning about life and death in a very grim and basic form. We've all done or heard about the kids messing with frogs and cats. That's basically what we was doing with the mud zombie. Messing with it, fascinated with what it was. He's also trying to emulate his father, trying to grow up. As he see's it he needs to get hard and make decisions. It's why he tells his father "Do it." during the execution scene. He doesn't see Ricks turmoil and hesitation he sees a way to support what his father is doing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think (well I know) that people here are quick to judge. I think people should watch the next 2 episodes before you start picking at everything the writers have chosen to do recently, because it's all leading to a few things. Important things.

I don't think the fact that everything might kind of make sense in retrospect excuses bad writing. As one example, Carl's lines and behavior last night were so out of place and ridiculous. I get where they're trying to go with it, that's obvious enough, but that doesn't make it a well crafted storyline.

SamuraiX-

you didn't notice how when they got back, maggie ran past herschel who thought she was runnign towards him; and she ran to glenn. I think its a bit of bar + this.

I did notice, but it didn't sound like Herschel was referring to that.

I mean, just because it looks like your daughter thinks she's in love with a boy doesn't mean the guy is "right" for her by your standards. I'd understand if Glenn did something to contribute during the skirmish in town, but when the bullets started flying, he just ran and hid. Even he acknowledged that.

I actually thought Herschel might've been a little bitter at the fact that his daughter barely gave two shits that he was back in one piece. lol

andycapps

I kinda take this at a different angle. All the death is taking its toll on his very malleable kid brain. Boys are notorious for messing with animals and learning about life and death in a very grim and basic form. We've all done or heard about the kids messing with frogs and cats. That's basically what we was doing with the mud zombie. Messing with it, fascinated with what it was. He's also trying to emulate his father, trying to grow up. As he see's it he needs to get hard and make decisions. It's why he tells his father "Do it." during the execution scene. He doesn't see Ricks turmoil and hesitation he sees a way to support what his father is doing.

Spot on. Also, like some have mentioned (I don't think this is much of a spoiler), but Rick becomes increasingly horrified at how desensitized Carl becomes. He wants him to remain a kid and keep as much of that as possible.

I don't think the fact that everything might kind of make sense in retrospect excuses bad writing. As one example, Carl's lines and behavior last night were so out of place and ridiculous. I get where they're trying to go with it, that's obvious enough, but that doesn't make it a well crafted storyline.
ehh I don't think they are so out of place and ridiculous. I mentioned this before but with Sophia's death he is the only kid in the group. Every time he tries to get involved people push him away. He is acting out, trying to fit in. He sees the group becoming colder and colder and his behaviour reflects that. He walked in on his dad about to shoot a dude and he encouraged him to do it, once again showing that he wants to be part of what's happening.

He is acting out, trying to find his place or his role where he can fit in, and no one is giving him the time of day. And like I said, what I teased wasn't defending OVERALL writing, just a few specific things that I'm not mentioning because spoilers shmoilers you'll see in the upcoming eps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I mean, just because it looks like your daughter thinks she's in love with a boy doesn't mean the guy is "right" for her by your standards. I'd understand if Glenn did something to contribute during the skirmish in town, but when the bullets started flying, he just ran and hid. Even he acknowledged that.

And that's probably why Hershel thinks he's right for her, he froze when he thought of her and didn't want to die because he wanted to get back to her.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ehh I don't think they are so out of place and ridiculous. I mentioned this before but with Sophia's death he is the only kid in the group. Every time he tries to get involved people push him away. He is acting out, trying to fit in. He sees the group becoming colder and colder and his behaviour reflects that. He walked in on his dad about to shoot a dude and he encouraged him to do it, once again showing that he wants to be part of what's happening.

He is acting out, trying to find his place or his role where he can fit in, and no one is giving him the time of day. And like I said, what I teased wasn't defending OVERALL writing, just a few specific things that I'm not mentioning because spoilers shmoilers you'll see in the upcoming eps.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but I still just think it's done poorly. Carl's behavior switched dramatically from one week to the next rather than changing gradually which would be better. It's just a lack of foresight in the writing that seems pretty pervasive on this show to me.

Despite struggling with this show since the start I've stuck with it - until now.

Killing Dale, one of the moral cornerstones and most likeable characters on the show, is the final straw for me. I've really no interest in watching it any more, whatever happens.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but I still just think it's done poorly. Carl's behavior switched dramatically from one week to the next rather than changing gradually which would be better. It's just a lack of foresight in the writing that seems pretty pervasive on this show to me.

Disagree. Carl's behavior has been shown to be eratic and that the kid has problems. Remember right after Sophia got shot he sat there and said he would've shot Sophia. Lori expressed her concerns to Rick that Carl needs him before he left to retrieve Hershel as well. It also doesn't help that Lori seems to not pay attention and keep an eye on her kid very well.

.GqueB.

Banned
Disagree. Carl's behavior has been shown to be eratic and that the kid has problems. Remember right after Sophia got shot he sat there and said he would've shot Sophia. Lori expressed her concerns to Rick that Carl needs him before he left to retrieve Hershel as well. It also doesn't help that Lori seems to not pay attention and keep an eye on her kid very well.

Honestly I think its the actor. He's just really bad. Like really really bad. He can't even sneak through the woods convincingly.

Motherfuck :(

I'm really torn on Dale's death. On one hand, in a zombie show anyone should be at risk and able to die and usually I love it when shows have no qualms about killing off the best characters.

On the other hand, this show DOESN'T have many great characters and Dale was probably the best. If it wasn't for Dale this episode would have been absolute garbage. It's hard to imagine how the show can be better without him going forward unless the writing gets considerably better.

Dai101

Banned
I wonder how Robert Kirkman really feels about this show.

BdZmA.gif

Honestly I think its the actor. He's just really bad. Like really really bad. He can't even sneak through the woods convincingly.

The acting is a mixed bag. It depends how you look at it. I don't think he was sneaking through the woods. I thought he was just wandering through them. Sure, Carl has a lot of problems but he's just a little kid. The only person on the show that I actively dislike/hate is Lori. She is just dumb, flip-flops on everything, and can't even take care of her kid. She never seems to try and discipline him either. She turns and waits for Rick to say something instead. I wonder if they were hinting at something the fact that Lori never said her opinion on whether Randall should be killed or not.

It was predictable that something was going to happen to Dale but it was a tense moment watching him trying to fight it off. Was hoping that the group would get to him in time before the zombie took a piece out of him. Also thought he was just going end up scratched and there'd be a couple of episodes about nursing him before he turned but nope. Instead his guts were ripped open and he was put down like an animal. Harsh.

Bit surprised at all the people saying they're glad Dales dead. Was one my favourite characters on the show and the daleface will be missed. At least he went out with an epic daleface of death.

Dale went from an important character in the comics to a old nagging man whos makes funny faces in the tv show.

Dale is my least favorite character. He's NOT a moral cornerstone. WTF? He's an out-of-place old man in a world that doesn't need moral cornerstones. Now they just need to kill the son and it'll be clear sailing.

Joni

OK, one less annoying character. Now reduce the show to Rick, Daryll and Hershell. Give Maggie and Glenn a happy life on the farm, kill off everybody else. Maybe let T-Dog live, I'm sure I won't notice.

Ideal cast would be Rick, Shane and Daryl. Everyone else has met their gruesome end and the 3 remaining survivors must fight their way out of an overrun amusement park to survive.

Moofers

So with the Dale-faces out of the picture, I'm now looking forward to all the T-Dog cameos.

Yes. I keep getting surprised each time he pops up. Like the big meeting last episode, I was like "Oh shit, there he is!" and then it was a matter of waiting to see if he had any lines.......Nope! lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

:(

They killed off my favorite character, turned Daryl into a gothic punk, made T-Dog/Glenn non-existent, and introduced the boring ass farm/bunch of characters I don't give a shit about (Herschel is the only half-way interesting one). Yet, somehow I still am half-way enjoying it.

Some major shit better be going down in the next two episodes though, or I might just be tuning out. A fire-fight with Randal's thirty leading to a zombie invasion that pushes the group back out onto the road would be preferred.

Yes. I keep getting surprised each time he pops up. Like the big meeting last episode, I was like "Oh shit, there he is!" and then it was a matter of waiting to see if he had any lines.......Nope! lol
I think he had half a line (he got interrupted if memory serves)

this ridiculous show needs like a Resident Evil NEMESIS zombie to start thinning out the cast. Bazooka, tentacle kills, and all.

Now that Dale's gone I really only care about Rick and Daryl.

I do really enjoy this show. :}

It's funny how it would have just been kinder for them to shoot Randal in the head while he was impaled on the fence. Since then they've torn his leg off a fence, tied him up in the boot of a car, tried to dump him in the middle of a zombie infested nowhere, chained him up in a barn, beaten him for information and held a mock execution for him.

I think Randal is definitely not just a helpless kid though. He was able to handle himself well when he got loose during the Rick\Shane fight and seemed to take glee from killing that one zombie. He's handled everything he's had done to him pretty well too.

So yeah, he will have escaped during the Dale ruckus and will be back with his crew for the finale I reckon. Also, does anyone think theres a chance that Merle will be part of the crew? I could see it happening.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Woulda been awesome if Dale still tried to preach as he was dying.

"YOU CAN'T KILL ME, I'M STILL A HUMAN BEI-"BLAM

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Now to just kill off Andrea, Carl, Lori, and Carol.

They all suck and Rick doesn't need a wife and kid to get in the way of baddassery.

mernst23

The GF and I cheered when we saw Dale starting to get ripped open. He's been insufferable ever since he decided to take Andrea's gun away.

Now to just kill off Andrea, Carl, Lori, and Carol.

They all suck and Rick doesn't need a wife and kid to get in the way of baddassery.

Really they could kill off everyone in the show and I'd be cool with it. I haven't grown attached to any characters whatsoever because of all the stupid decisions that they make.

Edit: Except for Daryl. He's still a badass.

The GF and I cheered when we saw Dale starting to get ripped open. He's been insufferable ever since he decided to take Andrea's gun away.
Was that before or after she mistook Daryl for a zombie and shot him?

Here's my personal A team I don't want to see die:

Rick
Shane
Theodore Douglas
Daryl
Glen (and by extension Maggie)

Everyone else can eat it as far as I'm concerned.

Zeke

just got around watching it. So sad Dale is gone ;( Lori needs to keep her god damn son a leash. Also I lit up when I saw the cow I yelled out ZOMBIE COW! Randall has to get killed next ep I don't see how they can let him live after they showed a busted up Shane in the preview for next week. I'm really hoping we get some bad ass winter weather in season 3 some hard freezes or some freak snow storms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom