• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Needs Another Dino Crisis (Article) Also Dino Crisis 2 is now 15 years old

Jawmuncher

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3361403/world-needs-another-dino-crisis/
I have never been more ready for dinosaurs to be scary again. Nature didn’t take its time building impossibly large creatures made of muscle and teeth so a legion of geeks could spend a couple hundred hours building bigger, toothier versions made of CG and Red Bull. The Velociraptor isn’t a trainable attack dog, it’s a “clever girl” that disembowels you with its foot scythe.

Our shameful mistreatment of a creature like the Tyrannosaurus Rex may beat Jurassic Park III as the worst atrocity we’ve committed on Dino-kind. This is the same toothy bastard that could swallow you whole after eating three quarters of a goat and have more than enough energy to chase Jeff Goldblum — Jeff fucking Goldblum — on a speeding truck despite not being even a little bit hungry.
I’m no scientist, but I’m pretty sure it was a crippling fear of being eaten whole that inspired the Quetzalcoatlus to learn how to glide, and that thing was basically a giant bird monster with a 35-foot wingspan and a sword for a head that we named after a god.
The point I’m trying to make is dinosaurs are super cool and they don’t deserve to have their reputation sullied any longer. If we’re going to set things right, Capcom will need to get the ball rolling with another Dino Crisis.

It’s true. I’ve examined this problem with my journalism, and this really is the only way.
The timing is right for a horror series like Dino Crisis to put the terrible back in terrible lizard, only not at all in the same way Dino Crisis 3 did. Horror games are big right now and dinosaurs are beginning to make a comeback thanks to the blockbusting blockbuster that was Jurassic World.
Looking at the success of Ark: Survival Evolved, and even The Stomping Land before its meteoric downfall, could be a sign that gamers are ready to see Dino Crisis return like the video game equivalent of a Dino-Jesus so it can save us from the pitiful zoo animals we now call dinosaurs.
If you’re with me on this, let me know in the comments. We’ve already squeezed the stubbornness out of Capcom until they agreed to a Resident Evil 2 remake. Surely there’s another Dino Crisis in there somewhere, we only have to squeeze hard enough.

I forgot to make the thread yesterday about the anniversary so i figured I would combine it with the only news that related to it. Though technically i'm a few weeks late, since yesterday was the NA launch. The first release was in japan on Sept 13th. Much like other articles I have posted we're at such a perfect time for a revival of any sort, and yet sadly seems like not much is being done. It's pretty disheartening that with the current dino success that there hasn't even been a peep from capcom. I would have at least expected maybe someone just touching up the two DC PC ports which aren't all that bad.

With all of that said, lets take a moment to remember how great dino crisis 2 was.

Still waiting on a new Dino Crisis.
13344db9834d5f85e5b008aa56ba173e.jpg

Tizoc

They should have announced an HD collection right after Jurassic World's success

Eh I'd settle for a cleaned up re-release on PC.

Non the less, the story shouldn't be anything grand, just have us explore a compound and kill dinosaurs, with dinosaurs doing scare jumps in least expected areas.
Dat
t-rex
in DC1 whooooooboy!

Jurassic World is a very bad movie and I hate it. But if it recenters global enthusiasm towards dinosaurs, I can accept it as a blessing.

But seriously. I hate that movie.

Jawmuncher

Jurassic World is a very bad movie and I hate it. But if it recenters global enthusiasm towards dinosaurs, I can accept it as a blessing.

This plus the good dinosaur from pixar should really help us see a change in the coming years. At least I hope.

soultron

Banned
New DC thread from superfan JawMuncher? Yep.

I feel the pain too. I'd love for a DC1/DC2 HD remaster in the vein of REmake.

sublimit

Banned
Jawmuncher i honestly feel sad for you. :( It's obvious how much you love this series yet this series belongs to a company that has changed so much it basically doesn't exist anymore.Same goes for all Onimusha fans and fans of other older Capcom franchises.

The best thing it could happen is if some other company took the basic concept of Dino Crisis and made a new IP out of it.Basically what Koei is currently doing with Ni-Oh and its obvious references to Onimusha.

Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher i honestly feel sad for you. :( It's obvious how much you love this series yet this series belongs to a company that has changed so much it basically doesn't exist anymore.Same goes for all Onimusha fans and fans of other older Capcom franchises.

The best thing it could happen is if some other company took the basic concept of Dino Crisis and made a new IP out of it.Basically what Koei is currently doing with Ni-Oh and its obvious references to Onimusha.

Yeah it's a damn shame. I had a chance of getting the void filled with Turok 08 but then the sequel was cancelled so I was back to square one.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
New DC thread from superfan JawMuncher? Yep.

I feel the pain too. I'd love for a DC1/DC2 HD remaster in the vein of REmake.
I don't think that a Dino Crisis like the old ones would work today. They'd clearly have to go for full 3rd person view.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I feel your pain, Jawmuncher. A DC 1/2 replay every 6 months or so is what keeps me going. I'd love a remake a la Resident Evil, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

It’s true. I’ve examined this problem with my journalism
This had me rolling

Javin98

Banned
I'm with you on this. I really, really hope a new Dino Crisis game is in development. I want dinosaurs to make a comeback in media and replace zombies, which I personally think are overrated.

Can't agree with you on this, man, but I guess the movie has some mixed views. I personally loved the movie. It was the perfect comeback for dinosaurs and I enjoyed the movie the whole way.

Maedhros

DC 2 is perfection. I always liked it a lot more than... let's say... Resident Evil 3 (even though I love Resident Evil 3 too).

mp1990

Banned
I want them to make another one, just to make you happy, Jawmuncher.
Heh, this. Also, Dino Crisis 1 was the first, and one of the only, games that made me lose my sleep, and have nightmares for a full week (granted, i was 5 at the time, but still it was scary as shit), so maybe a new DC would give me the same felling few other games had.

The RE6 engine, or some version of it, would be perfect for reviving this series. The time has never been more ripe with Jurassic World's colossal success.

I would also be fine with DC or DC2 à la REmake.

Wasn't Onimusha a success? If it was, it's crazy how Capcom has completely ignored it since then, but Capcom has been ignoring a lot of their properties lately. I'm still stunned Mega Man Legends made it onto PSN.

Roni

Gold Member
The RE6 engine, or some version of it, would be perfect for reviving this series. The time has never been more ripe with Jurassic World's colossal success.

I would also be fine with DC or DC2 à la REmake.

A similar character moveset to the one used in RE6 would be great for a Dino Crisis 1 type game, but I think a slightly faster move set would be required for a Dino Crisis 2 style game.

But I like the idea, overall.

MetalSlug

I wish they would put them up on Steam, as I haven't played them in years. I also never had an Xbox, so I didn't get a chance to play Dino Crisis 3.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Wasn't Onimusha a success? If it was, it's crazy how Capcom has completely ignored it since then, but Capcom has been ignoring a lot of their properties lately. I'm still stunned Mega Man Legends made it onto PSN.

Inafune was heavily involved with it I think & the sales with each game were less too as well. Dawn of Dreams fucked it all up so it's best left untouched for now.

Still crushes me that Dino Crisis/2 aren't on Vita, I'd replay DC2 so many times it'd be unreal. Don't care for DC that much, but 2 is such an amazing game, still retains all the violence and Regina but strips away the survival aspect and makes it more arcade-like with a really massive pay off. To this day I still want a proper conclusion to the ending of DC2, I do not acknowledge Dino Stalker, Regina was meant to save Dylan and Paula.

soultron

Banned
DC2 was recently on sale on PSN and you should all feel bad if you didn't buy it
if you don't already own it.

PantsuJo

I'm glad that I'm one of the few players that played Dino Crisis 3 on Xbox.
This terrible, awful, poor game should be banished from earth to preserve the joy of future generations of gamers and the memories of the fans.

Can't agree with you on this, man, but I guess the movie has some mixed views. I personally loved the movie. It was the perfect comeback for dinosaurs and I enjoyed the movie the whole way.

I've got no beef with people who enjoyed the movie. Obviously it was very successful. It's a movie that people wanted, and wanted to be good, and it's great to finally see dinosaurs in the forefront again.

But the movie has its vocal, and thorough, critical dissenters. I am one of them. I expect that appreciation for the movie will weaken with time. But man. I couldn't enjoy it at all.

Jurassic World, O, how I hate thee.

It's time to start a crowdfunding campaign for Jawmuncher so he can start up the Third Energy Project and go back in time to prevent the series from dying.

Dino Crisis 1 is perfection.

But I came to realise 2 is not a very good game.

2 is different but also great

sublimit

Banned

If i'm not mistaken Onimusha 4 (Dawn of Dreams) kinda flopped and it was probably Capcom's excuse to drop the franchise. And it's a damn shame too because the game was pretty good.Anyway we're getting Ni-Oh now so Capcom can feel free to continue make shit like the last online RE game they announced.

I just hope the same thing will happen to Dino Crisis and one day another studio will revive it as a new IP.Also it would be great if they make it more like a true survival horror than another shooter.

With all of that said, lets take a moment to remember how great dino crisis 2 was.

I mean Dino Crisis 2 was a fun action dino shooter, but a great game?

DC 1 did the whole survival horror element so much better.

Either way, people are mentioning RE6 x DC and I love this idea.

I couldn't agree more with Capcom making another Dino Crisis. Hell at this point, just give me a remake, and I'll throw my money. If RE2 remaster is happening, then I still have hope CAPCOM will see the light.

Xpliskin

In honor of this, think I might do a playthrough of 1.

Watched jurassic world 1 this week.

Jurassic World 2 seems to be a reality.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dino Crisis 1 is perfection.

But I came to realise 2 is not a very good game.

LSdwqFL.png

THAT'S NOT TRUE. I struggle to play Dino Crisis 1 last time I tried to replay it. Although it has some great ideas with the multiple endings and the post-game content is decent. If Dino Crisis 2 had some costumes which it was lacking then it'd probably be my favourite game of all time, the post-game content for 2 is outstanding. The plot is dumb though. (Talking to dinosaurs. lmao.)

Dino Crisis 2 even has that GOAT ending theme which you should expect from 90s Capcom.

Ralemont

not me
I mean Dino Crisis 2 was a fun action dino shooter, but a great game?

DC 1 did the whole survival horror element so much better.

Either way, people are mentioning RE6 x DC and I love this idea.

Contrary to what the article wants, I think Dino Crisis was better served by transitioning to an action focus than Resident Evil.

A Dino Crisis series reboot with RE6's gameplay mechanics would be ideal, yep.

Anung

Un Rama
The timing is so perfect. Dinosaurs are so hot right now (did they ever stop?) so bringing back Dino Crisis should be a no-brainer. Get Dino Crisis and use the excellent Resi 6 mechanics, which would probably be better suited to fighting dinosaurs than Zombies, and it has the promise of being something excellent.

Javin98

Banned
I've got no beef with people who enjoyed the movie. Obviously it was very successful. It's a movie that people wanted, and wanted to be good, and it's great to finally see dinosaurs in the forefront again.

But the movie has its vocal, and thorough, critical dissenters. I am one of them. I expect that appreciation for the movie will weaken with time. But man. I couldn't enjoy it at all.

Jurassic World, O, how I hate thee.
Oh, well, I guess something will always appeal to some, but is trash to others. But it was definitely the movie I wanted, as a big fan of dinosaurs. To me, it captured some of the greatness of the first movie and the nostalgia scenes were great. Also, while some may find it silly, I really enjoyed the
the fight scene at the end.
It was epic.

I actually just watched it yesterday and while it is slightly less delighting than the first time, it is still a great movie in my book. I have to admit, though, I probably consider it my favorite movie of the year because of years of hype building up. I was waiting for this movie since 2008, LOL.

The timing is so perfect. Dinosaurs are so hot right now (did they ever stop?) so bringing back Dino Crisis should be a no-brainer. Get Dino Crisis and use the excellent Resi 6 mechanics, which would probably be better suited to fighting dinosaurs than Zombies, and it has the promise of being something excellent.

OMG I really want to dropkick dinos now!

soultron

Banned
I don't think that a Dino Crisis like the old ones would work today. They'd clearly have to go for full 3rd person view.

That would fundamentally change the way the game plays, so I disagree. It's like how that fan project remake of RE2 (RIP) tried to adopt the RE4 OTS camera -- it didn't work, in my opinion.

If we were ever to get a new-new DC game, I hope it's less Jurassic World and more Jurassic Park, if you get my feeling. Tonally and in terms of scope, JW seemed dumbed down and the worldbuilding ambitions seemed larger than what they could deliver on. Hopefully that makes sense. I thought JW was awful, basically.

Jawmuncher

It's time to start a crowdfunding campaign for Jawmuncher so he can start up the Third Energy Project and go back in time to prevent the series from dying.

If I could just drop in on DC3 development and prevent them from making what they did, all would be right with the world. That's one of my biggest hang ups on th series. It's not that it ended. Just it didn't get the ending it deserved.

I would be so happy if we got a new Dino Crisis.

Ok, so I love dinosaurs and want more dinosaur everything. But seeing Dino Crisis again would genuinely make me so happy.

Jawmuncher

Was the original PC version ever released/was it good?

Yes there are two versions of the game.
The original and the new game Extinction.

They're pretty fun MP games and honestly what I would say are the best dinosaur games atm, minus something like Lego Jurassic World. Just as I said they're MP only, though they did add a horde mode.

Top Bottom