• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Worst States for African Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingV

not terribly surprising, the midwest is racist as fuck

I live in the Midwest these days and can confirm. I've lived more or less all over the country (mostly coastal) and Midwest racism is different. At least here in Nebraska, white people really have almost no exposure to black people. I'm sort of surprised that Nebraska didn't make the list, as Omaha has one of the highest black on black crime rates in the country, but has a very small black population compared to many other states.

But the difference between living here and in Virginia or Georgia is night and day. Even "heritage not hate" white people in the South have some sort of casual exposure to black people and have at least a few black acquaintances. But in the Midwest it's not entirely uncommon for white people to know literally zero black people.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Study after study has shown that white men and women with no degrees (or even HS diplomas in some fields) have higher chances at jobs than black men and women with degrees.

At some point we need to call a spade and spade.

My argument wasn't that "we're all suffering" so much as "if it's bad for white people, it's going to be holy shit bad for black people"

My argument wasn't that "we're all suffering" so much as "if it's bad for white people, it's going to be holy shit bad for black people"

I can't remember the Black scholar's name, but she said it best that historically in America "When White people get a cold, Black people get a flu".

I did the math some years ago and found we have 10-12k black people in a state of 1.3 million. I think sample size creates a problem.
1.5% according to 2015 data makes it more like ~20k, but 20k treated relatively well against whatever criteria this particular review looked at, opposed to other states. Nice to hear, in any case.

What little may be there, I plan on adding to it. I hope to retire in either Alaska or Maine, but after hearing about the North East states, I might set my sights more on Alaska instead.

Alaska's on my retirement list.

Nice farm, good hunting, open air, peace and quiet, no racist jerkoffs or, if there are, I got guns.

Perfect for me.

I'm shocked Mississippi isn't on the list.

How is it?
568d31ec190000190178b28d.gif

catbird

Neo Member
The South
"Hey, they got their side a'town and we got ours. Long's they don' date none of my sisters, we won't have problems."

The Midwest
"Say, Margie, what's that black feller doin' on the lawn?"
"Says he's from the 'lectric company, yah?"
"Oh, okie."
*lingers at the window long enough to make eye contact, then shuffles behind the curtain*

The Northeast
"[N-Word], I told that [N-Word] that ain't no [N-Word] gonna do shit 'round here, muh-fucka!"
*black person walks by*
"And, uh, he told me, 'Dude, you better get," um, 'you better get out of my face,' *whispers, covers mouth* ...[N-Word]."
*sweats profusely*

The West
"I was totally gonna jump in there, but you know, there were hella Canadians, and I'm not gonna, like, fuck around with those dudes."

Actually, you could probably split up The West into like 4-5 variants. I imagine the Pacific Northwest version is just blatant confusion over seeing a black person.

Wow, this seems ridiculously accurate.

SpecX

Nice farm, good hunting, open air, peace and quiet, no racist jerkoffs or, if there are, I got guns.

Perfect for me.

And it's still affordable. I love California, but no way in hell I plan to live my last days here struggling to maintain my way of life or having to work a job all the way to my grave.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Former Michigan resident.

Not surprised in the least.

Being from Connecticut originally, this doesn't even remotely surprise me that CT is 5th.

Real talk, I went to Hartford on business not long ago and it's fucking staggering how openly segregated the place is. Like, you go to downtown, then walk 5-6 blocks and BAM, ghetto. You can almost see the dividing line.

I live in the Midwest these days and can confirm. I've lived more or less all over the country (mostly coastal) and Midwest racism is different. At least here in Nebraska, white people really have almost no exposure to black people. I'm sort of surprised that Nebraska didn't make the list, as Omaha has one of the highest black on black crime rates in the country, but has a very small black population compared to many other states.

But the difference between living here and in Virginia or Georgia is night and day. Even "heritage not hate" white people in the South have some sort of casual exposure to black people and have at least a few black acquaintances. But in the Midwest it's not entirely uncommon for white people to know literally zero black people.

Even in Midwestern states with a relatively high proportion of black people, this is true. I'm a good ole Michigander, and when my Ypsi-born-and-raised ass went off to college, I was shocked by all the people from the Detroit suburbs who didn't have any meaningful relationships with black people at all.

Not surprised by Minnesota.

It's definitely a weird situation, it's a very liberal state but in a two faced sort of way. Catholic and Lutheran white people that want to do good and be opening to everyone but end up isolating themselves off and never deigning to interact with the poor or with different cultures.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=CnYLj7oPe5w

This scene from Fargo where they shit on the whole "Minnesota Nice" stereotype fits this. Forgive the cheesy context, it's worth it.

ThisGuy

The Midwest
"Say, Margie, what's that black feller doin' on the lawn?"
"Says he's from the 'lectric company, yah?"
"Oh, okie."
*lingers at the window long enough to make eye contact, then shuffles behind the curtain*

I don't know about the rest of the Midwest, but Ohio is actually very vocal about their racism. Here's my favorite.

"There's a difference between a black guy and a n*****."

So the midwest is a shithole for Black folks, not that Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Gary, Indiana would lead anyone to believe any different.
Not all shocked that Connecticut has a big problem with racial segregation and income disparity. Tends to be the case with a lot of the northeast states 🤔

Yeah some of the biggest race wars in America went down in those northeastern cities. New York, Boston, Philly. Then you had another massive front in the race wars with the unions.

What a coincidence though that two of the 5 states Blacks as a collective do best in arent connected to the continental USA.

I don't know about the rest of the Midwest, but Ohio is actually very vocal about their racism. Here's my favorite.

You get that everywhere. For those types, a nigger is any Black person who happens to piss them off at any given moment.

Maryland still can always improve, but I'm proud it's still a state where we have reps in government and more opportunities in general.

Elijah Cummings is an American treasure. One of the few reps in the House that I admire and don't want to strangle as I hear them espouse their views. I wish there were hundreds more black communities in the country that could produce people like him.

Chris R

Perfect for me.

Oh my sweet summer child, where do you think the racist jerkoffs retire to?

Mat-Su Valley is #1 with racists (and meth/heroin heads)

Rust belt/Midwest is the new South. As a Michigan resident this is embarrassing.

It really is, 2016 marked the turning point. Georgia, North Carolina, and one day in the not too far off future Texas will all be blue states. While several Midwestern states are becoming increasingly conservative.

Viewt

Point taken! It's harder to generalize Ohio, since it's on the border of the Midwest. I've started to think of it as the Midwest's panhandle, actually.

For those of you who don't know, Florida's panhandle is one of the weirdest areas in the state. It's a hodgepodge of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia sub-cultures, while also hosting the state's capital and Florida State University in Tallahassee, which increasingly feels very liberal. As such, it's nearly impossible to find a reliable generalization.

Taking it back to Ohio, it really seems like a state with multiple personalities. The eastern portion is very much classic rust belt with the Cleveland metro area. But then you've got Columbus, which, from what I've read, can lean liberal or conservative depending on the day, and hosts the gigantic Ohio State University (pardon me, the Ohio State University, *groan*). Cincinnati is basically Northern Kentucky, and from what others have told me, Northwestern Ohio feels like an extension of Indiana - essentially blue-collar conservatives.

That's why it's always a focal swing state, I suppose. It's hard to pin down.

jehuty

Wisconsin Milwaukee resident here. Yeah, black people have it bad. Real bad here. Most with any kind of college education run to Atlanta, NYC, or DC. Its really weird too, since peoples opinion of you will automatically change if they figure out you are "kinda" black. What I mean by that is, if they find out you are of Latin American descent (Dominican, Cuban, PR, etc) they treat you completely different. Its not just the white people either, Asians and other Latinos (mainly Mexican), suddenly become your best friend and its okay to date that groups women once they figure out Spanish is your first language.

The rest of Wisconsin is not somewhere black people should even be. Unless you play for the packers (and even then you will still be called colorful names), venturing outside of Milwaukee or Madison will almost guarantee you a very unique experience (when I say unique, I mean a bad time).

Taking it back to Ohio, it really seems like a state with multiple personalities. The eastern portion is very much classic rust belt with the Cleveland metro area. But then you've got Columbus, which, from what I've read, can lean liberal or conservative depending on the day, and hosts the gigantic Ohio State University (pardon me, the Ohio State University, *groan*). Cincinnati is basically Northern Kentucky, and from what others have told me, Northwestern Ohio feels like an extension of Indiana - essentially blue-collar conservatives.

This is pretty much it, but Columbus proper is very liberal, when you out in the burbs its a mix of conservative and liberal, just like any major city.

As much as it wouldn't have made sense, a small part of me was relieved not to see Arizona on a list of "Look how fucked these states are" for once.

Yep. I love AZ.

*hides top ten worse states for Latinos and native americans lists*

Why you think the Underground Railroad stopped in Canada ?

How would Arizona be worst for Native Ameicans and Latinos? Tucson has almost 50% population of Hispanics.

Wow

How is it?

It's been pretty nice. You get to laugh at people in the lower 48 for complaining it's cold. Anchorage doesn't impose a sales tax, but that's only worthwhile for media since it has a default pricing.

Construction tends to leave a bit to desire since it's slow moving and sometimes nonsensical. The air is pretty clean and there's wildlife like moose to take a gander at even in the city. There's a good mix of races in Anchorage. Retirement here sounds nice, but if you're coming here at a younger age, scale down on what you expect to do, so like, no six flags.

Crime seems to have changed a bit, it's been getting more dangerous lately. Not Chicago level, but it's been a cause for concern lately.

ZOONAMI

MN here, disappointed but not surprised at WI, MN, and IL.

Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago all essentially have class/race based segregation. North Minneapolis, south side of Chicago, and west side Milwaukee are essentially segregated zones. It's strange and I don't really know what policies (if any) are being worked on to be prevent this. It sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom