• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a lot of OLD MAN YELLING AT CLOUD vibe here

Outlier

What's with some of you guys. "Games arent made for US anymore" (for starters who is this nebulous "us" you are including me in) and OMG WOKE reactionary claims at the slightest provocation, most recent evidence the reaction to the new Saints Row. You'd think a vidjagame forum would be more open to novelty, something different, progression, but so much reaction is "IN MY DAY THINGS WERE BETTER", you sickly housebound nerds are old before your time.
I was JUST thinking this a second ago.

Maybe it's just my own bias, but I am seeing a bit of pessimistic cynicism lately. Normally that's my job, but when you start to see it in so many others...

What's wrong gaf? Even I'm starting to defend devs choosing to put a BIT of "wokism" in a game, if it means bringing new life to their game.

Outlier

What's wrong with games having minorities? Minorities exist just because. What's your problem with them appearing in media?
I know you're not asking me, but there is NO problem with it.

I believe the real issue here is that the relatively sudden/forced shifts for "inclusionism", just to appease vocal minorities.

It is not a natural shift. Nor is it proportional.

Lanrutcon

What's wrong gaf? Even I'm starting to defend devs choosing to put a BIT of "wokism" in a game, if it means bringing new life to their game.

Ok. I mean, apart from what's been repeated in this thread up to this page? You...wanna go read that rather? Also: imagine having complete creative control over your product and deciding the way to bring new life to it is by wokism. That's an excuse, and you know it. It's not about improving the product, it's about pandering and checklists and trying to cash in on a political climate. You don't improve a fucking gang simulator like Saints Row with prostitutes and violence by going woke: you destroy it.

And at the end of the day, you're welcome to defend what you want to defend, just like everyone else is welcome to criticize what they want to criticize. That's the beauty of the board.

Threads like these however, are just plain old bitching.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s not really the content that the problem. It’s the types of games. I just do like FPS and Online multiplayer. 🤷‍♂️

I know you're not asking me, but there is NO problem with it.

I believe the real issue here is that the relatively sudden/forced shifts for "inclusionism", just to appease vocal minorities.

It is not a natural shift. Nor is it proportional.
"Minorities"? WTF are you talking about? There's currently more Asians and nearly as much Black as Whites in the world...

Spitfire098

Remember to respect your elders on NEOGAF. These poor people are scared of change and they lash out when they feel their little "safe space" of video games is being threatened. It's a immature defense mechanism.
images

BigBooper

Bullet point PPT style for the bros

• There are more games, movies, shows, music available than ever before and it's all super easy to get our hands on
Is this true? Back in the reign of cable TV you had 15~ channels putting out original or syndicated shows and movies all day long, not to mention the live shows that were similar to Twitch streamed trash. Games didn't take 5+ years to release. Probably is more music because it's mostly a lot of bleeps and bloops now.

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
What's with some of you guys. "Games arent made for US anymore" (for starters who is this nebulous "us" you are including me in) and OMG WOKE reactionary claims at the slightest provocation, most recent evidence the reaction to the new Saints Row. This ingrained idea that nothing should ever change and evolve, but but but these are not the purple clad gangsters that I grew up with! Its Boomer as fuck. You'd think a vidjagame forum would be more open to novelty, something different, progression, but so much reaction is "IN MY DAY THINGS WERE BETTER", you sickly housebound nerds are old before your time.
Yikeroonos! That sounds pretty hateful of you to discriminate against people based on their age and calling them "boomers" as an insult (ageism is a form of hate). Also, calling someone a "sickly nerd' is hate speech. This is 2021, stop being a hateful bigot.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with complaining. Specially when you are +30 and have been there playing games since the NES. Its only natural to compare and see where we are better or worse. Since gaming is cumulative we will always be better, old games can be played in any device now. Computers are powerful as hell and tech obsolescence has slowed to a crawl.

But then on the other hand, you have way less developers releasing single player games with high production values. Games taking longer than ever to develop, releasing bugged at launch so you might as well add an extra year to their release date for them to have an adequate level of polish. The loss of AA studios and many more. Just compare the PS1 and PS2 days vs today and almost every game released back then looked "sixth gen" these days you have a lot of indie games that could run on an Xbox 360 if not less. Look at that TMNT upcoming game. Looks like something out of the GBA...

Mercador

I don't know if it's the same in the US but here in Canadaland, Gen X will never be majority. It will go from Boomers to Millenials. So yeah, yelling at clouds for sure :p

Yoboman

I dont get the fellow kids members acting like we wouldn't call out shit for being generic, and unoriginal 10 years ago. Saints Row has had that label ever since it started, but it built up a fanbase anyway because people enjoy a good gangster theme. Strip that away and whats left?

Having a set of "quirky" minorities team up against white people is the most overdone thing in games right now. And they all have that Destruction Allstars aesthetic. Felt like every trailer at E3 was this. MS even ended their show with one

And the big irony of it all is that right now would be the best ever time to come in with a GTA clone and really nail that gangster vibe that people love but nobody is actually doing with GTA not making new games. They are chasing a trend that doesn't exist while in the real world GTA5 is one of the best selling games of all time and still charting in the top ten. Why aren't they going after that market for GTA Online players ready for something fresh?

Last edited:

MacReady13

"Minorities"? WTF are you talking about? There's currently more Asians and nearly as much Black as Whites in the world...
Maybe minorities in this dude’s life but I’m considered a minority in Australia (Italian) but who gives fuck if I’m represented in games or not? It is a fucking video game! It’s not real life! Go out. Meet people. Even fuck some of them if you’re single! There’s plenty of diversity out there. Just don’t try force it to make yourself look high and mighty. Nothing worse than a god damned try hard.

oagboghi2

I dont get the fellow kids members acting like we wouldn't call out shit for being generic, and unoriginal 10 years ago. Saints Row has had that label ever since it started, but it built up a fanbase anyway because people enjoy a good gangster theme. Strip that away and whats left?

Having a set of "quirky" minorities team up against white people is the most overdone thing in games right now. And they all have that Destruction Allstars aesthetic. Felt like every trailer at E3 was this. MS even ended their show with one

And the big irony of it all is that right now would be the best ever time to come in with a GTA clone and really nail that gangster vibe that people love but nobody is actually doing with GTA not making new games. They are chasing a trend that doesn't exist while in the real world GTA5 is one of the best selling games of all time and still charting in the top ten. Why aren't they going after that market for GTA Online players ready for something fresh?
GTA hasn’t really been “gangster”, though that used to be a pretty popular visual design niche years choice years ago.

Yoboman

GTA hasn’t really been “gangster”, though that used to be a pretty popular visual design niche years choice years ago.
GTA5 less so but it was still a mix of gangster, white collar and hillbilly crime. It all fit the aesthetic

But that only emphasises my point it's an under serviced market now

Mossybrew

I think OP is probably still upset about getting told off in the Dog pics thread in Off-Topic. Maybe a bit of warm milk and sleepy time will make him feel better.
LOL I knew I was sticking my dick in a beehive by posting as I did there, obv I expected that reaction since like 80% of the population are queer for dogs. Pass on the warm milk but will take a cold beer before sleepytime.

tassletine

The idea that woke stuff isn't designed to provoke is hilarious.
Woke is just punk rock wrapped up in a transparently lame self righteous coat. It's really just about pissing off adults.
Besides, it's time has come, those woke kids are in their 30's now, and if you talk to the younger generation they hate it more that the older lot.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
A lot of "Gamers" here think that all games should be made for them and there shouldn't be variety even though there are thousands of game studios making all kinds of different games.

imissweed

Banned
Ive found something even more vile and detestable than a cockroach and its people that think like the OP.

To all the hipster saints row devs we boomers kindly ask you to jump off the highest cliff face first and kiss the ground.

I loved saint's row 2 and I loved GTA San Andreas because those games were amazing and full of something really for everybody.

I only hope that R star doesn't go in a similar direction with the real next gen sandbox game we are all craving because if they do.....God save us all.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Mossybrew

Ive found something even more vile and detestable than a cockroach and its people that think like the OP.

To all the hipster saints row devs we boomers kindly ask you to jump off the highest cliff face first and kiss the ground.
.....God save us all.

Seek help brother, you're not alone. There's probably a med or pastor that can help with your issues.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Having a minority in a game is not a feature.

if your game only selling point is “our characters are lgbt”, it probably sucks.

so far, that’s seems to be the case with saints row
Who said it's a feature? Again, minorities exist. In real life. What's wrong with them appearing in media?

Top Bottom