• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a lot of OLD MAN YELLING AT CLOUD vibe here

oldergamer

What's with some of you guys. "Games arent made for US anymore" (for starters who is this nebulous "us" you are including me in) and OMG WOKE reactionary claims at the slightest provocation, most recent evidence the reaction to the new Saints Row. This ingrained idea that nothing should ever change and evolve, but but but these are not the purple clad gangsters that I grew up with! Its Boomer as fuck. You'd think a vidjagame forum would be more open to novelty, something different, progression, but so much reaction is "IN MY DAY THINGS WERE BETTER", you sickly housebound nerds are old before your time.
Man, do i ever agree with you! Whatever happened to playing games to see if they are fun first. Too many people shitting on games they have no intention of playing

I miss the simple days of gaming where you didn't have to pay for the complete game, there were no microtransactions or lootboxes and you didn't have to be connected to the internet just to play the damn game.

I just want some good old fashioned single player games where I don't have to worry about grinding to level my character/weapons up and I can just pick them up as I go.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You young whippersnappers with your HDR 6 billion colors and plug n'play game consoles just don't know the struggles us old timers had to deal with back when you had to edit the config.sys and autoexec files to sacrifice a couple of programs in order to free up a few K of memory to run the joystick while squinting at a 13" CRT screen that weighed 20 pounds and just got magnetized because your stupid kid brother was playing around with the speakers. We had 16-256 colors AND WE LIKED IT. Why you so intolerant of diverse ideas. Listen to our voices and hear us, this is a safe space, your ageist comments are hurtful and unwelcome.

Get with the times old timer *chews gum*

Just turned 39 😜

Vectrex 4 life <3 (I'll never forgive my mom passing it on to her ultimately hated trailer park esque step sister)

Last edited:

ssringo

I agree. Cloud shouting, ok millennial zoomer boomer and whatever.

The new Saints Row still looks like ass.

But it's okay. I'll focus my cloud shouts at Tim Epic instead.

I guarantee nobody actually gives shit about any of this stuff. Its just a front for fanboyish bullshit! the same thing these guys complain about, they would be praising it if it was the company they worship who was doing it. Its always been like that in gaming forums.

Alot of people complain about resetera but a lot of people on here are just the same.... But the other side.

For half a year we had 5 threads every day about TLOU2 'wokeness'. Xbox announced a Forza 5 controller the other day and some arnt buying it because its a woke controller and 'looks LTBG or whatever they call it nowdays'.

What's with some of you guys. "Games arent made for US anymore" (for starters who is this nebulous "us" you are including me in) and OMG WOKE reactionary claims at the slightest provocation, most recent evidence the reaction to the new Saints Row. This ingrained idea that nothing should ever change and evolve, but but but these are not the purple clad gangsters that I grew up with! Its Boomer as fuck. You'd think a vidjagame forum would be more open to novelty, something different, progression, but so much reaction is "IN MY DAY THINGS WERE BETTER", you sickly housebound nerds are old before your time.
You sound like a furry lol.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Alot of people complain about resetera but a lot of people on here are just the same.... But the other side.

For half a year we had 5 threads every day about TLOU2 'wokeness'. Xbox announced a Forza 5 controller the other day and some arnt buying it because its a woke controller and 'looks LTBG or whatever they call it nowdays'.
Yup; reverse resetera, and it gets old fast.

I wish this was a place to discuss games w/o people screaming about wokeness, or being overly woke.

True, I am getting a head start. Though I am going to bed now and will savor the fruits of my labor tomorrow at work with a giant coffee.
38a32NYDkBidAF33V7FYVHL-AZWNRooftK5aKpOQdA4vP9AaGfiAqGVllsZZ30o3C_dIB3c

Maybe the next generation isn't so bad. Nice work kid.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I'm forty years old, which means my character was molded during the 80s and 90s. As a result, things and ideas that mirror the ideology and pop culture of those days shall always appeal to me more.
Many of us are old, kid.

OP when you are old enough

For the record I am OLD (and yes yelling at cloud myself) but I was born without this Nostalgia Gene that many people seem to have. I enjoyed all the typical 80's stuff of my youth but it holds no sacred place in my heart, these are corporate media products. Keep giving me new shit, that old stuff will always be there if you want to revisit it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For the record I am OLD (and yes yelling at cloud myself) but I was born without this Nostalgia Gene that many people seem to have. I enjoyed all the typical 80's stuff of my youth but it holds no sacred place in my heart, these are corporate media products. Keep giving me new shit, that old stuff will always be there if you want to revisit it.
I get your point, by imho most of what's coming out is just plain shit, and I don't need to compare them to the old games to realize that.

Most games looking the same, being done in the same engines, same anti-consumer practices and same dumbed down gameplay to appeal to the masses. Nah.

Last edited:

Danknugz

all the true woke folk know that games now aren’t about playing them at all, but worrying about others opinions and then arguing about it. It’s the new meta gamer trend that’s been going on for years, this thread is another example.

IntentionalPun

Have any of y'all seen how the people from the culture these games borrow from are dressing these days?

AxYAECu.png

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'm not into the outrage culture wars much, but it grinds my gears when people refer to "change" as "progress."
I was gonna post the same sentiment. The idea that change automatically equates to progress is laughable. The current change in society feels much more like regression than progress. We're going back to segregation and judging people by qualities they were born with and can't change. It's beyond pathetic to try to label such ideologies as "progress". For Saints Row to work in 2021 it needs to be counter-culture, if it just follows the woke trend then it's nothing but propaganda and most gamers aren't going to want to spend their money on that. You can be sure that most of the users that liked the OP were never going to buy this new Saints Row, yet alone at launch for full price. What I find ironic though is the OP calling users here that are disappointed about the new Saints Row "sickly housebound nerds" when that's how the woke are viewed by normal people. You only have to read through some threads over at the asylum to confirm this as many of them claim disability due to mental health issues.

Obviously, anyone without a motive to go against you will tend to agree with you. I agree with you. If i never get a warning about creeping "wokeness" for as long as i love I'll be happy as larry
Your backhanded insult to a large part of the userbase here is not as veiled as you think it is. But I guess you when you live in an ivory tower you need to be on a high horse. I say this because you like to mention you live in Japan every other post you make and the land of Delivery Health isn't exactly the wokest country. You complaining about people calling out wokeness while you live in Japan is like celebrities who live in gated communities with private security complaining about those who oppose open borders and defunding the police.

I realized half the people here don't want women in games unless they have giant anime tiddies, only games to be bought via disc or its killing the industry, no online at all because all GAAS or multiplayer is bad and a ton of other things from the industry circa 2000 thats are outdated or arbitrary. Gaming is better than ever, is sucks they can't enjoy it cause nostalgia.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda agree, but not 100%.
It is ridiculous that "woke" and "SJW" gets thrown around at pretty much every chance possible. In case of the new Saints Row though, my problem with the characters doesn't stem from having a diverse cast, but a cast that doesn't look gangster and quite frankly lame and boring. I really don't care about their sexuality, their hair cut, their skin color or whatever reason people get outraged over. I do care however that a game were the main cast always consisted of gangsters also has a main cast that actually look like gangsters and not like a bunch of run of mil people that look like you told them to put on a grim face. That's my problem. I don't think it fits. It's like having Jason Voorhees as the main character for Pulp Fiction.

With that being said, I need to see more of the game to really say that it is something for me or not.

Boss Mog

Did they dress like this when Saints Row 3 came out?

Saints-Row-The-Third-2-1024x576.jpg
That's because they were narcissistic celebrities at that point, did you not play the games? To me a reboot would be about going back to the origins. The struggles of a crew that had to grow up in a rough neighboord, not the struggles of hipster instagram influencers trying to repay their student loans for their doctorate in gender studies.

IntentionalPun

That's because they were narcissistic celebrities at that point, did you not play the games? To me a reboot would be about going back to the origins. The struggles of a crew that had to grow up in a rough neighboord, not the struggles of hipster instagram influencers trying to repay their student loans for their doctorate in gender studies.

I did play the games; they quickly became far removed from their roots and haven't really been about anything resembling 90s gangster movies since the 1st game.

Why a reboot would need to go back to that is beyond me. It's a reboot.

Boss Mog

I did play the games; they quickly became far removed from their roots and haven't really been about anything resembling 90s gangster movies since the 1st game.

Why a reboot would need to go back to that is beyond me. It's a reboot.
Reboot literally means to restart from the beginning. If you're not gonna keep the original premise then might as well make a different game not called Saints Row.

Boss Mog

That's not how it's used to describe the reboot of a fictional universe; reboots can have totally different backstories, plots.. characters.

It's a broad term.
Yes because in every Spider-man movie reboot it's never been Peter Parker getting spider powers and juggling real life with fighting villains in New York City. :pie_eyeroll:

oagboghi2

this is an internet forum. People say things. I honestly don't understand this mindset. If you don't want to hear opinions that might be negative...

Should we have resetera like moderating and just ban anyone who doesn't have the right opinion?

That's not how it's used to describe the reboot of a fictional universe; reboots can have totally different backstories, plots.. characters.

It's a broad term.

"Let's reboot Titanic and make it about a toaster protesting for the environment."

Reboot is a broad term

Last edited:
Games I grew up with are so much better than today that it’s just sad. People are conditioned to their times so you don’t see it.

But the 90s and 00s were like a golden age that ended when the Xbox one generation started. And even I could see in the 360 era things getting worse and worse until budgets and greed finally got the best of the industry.

Gaming has gone from a fresh young industry of passion, talent and ideas to one of endless iteration, middle management bloat and corporate greed. Oh and the Hollywood remake syndrome has come to gaming as well.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Games I grew up with are so much better than today that it’s just sad. People are conditioned to their times so you don’t see it.

But the 90s and 00s were like a golden age that ended when the Xbox one generation started. And even I could see in the 360 era things getting worse and worse until budgets and greed finally got the best of the industry.

Gaming has gone from a fresh young industry of passion, talent and ideas to one of endless iteration, middle management bloat and corporate greed. Oh and the Hollywood remake syndrome has come to gaming as well.
People pay more for less content, but believe it's a good thing because we are conditioned to think "change is good, new is superior."

I never understood the whole "woke" thing. It's like this thing ppl created cause they needed something to blame. It always come off a very selfish and self-centered.

Pantz

I've been wondering if gamers around 50 years old now were annoyed about games changing 10-15 years ago. Aside from motion controls I feel like they probably didn't get that annoyed as with the changes in the last 5 years or so. Curious what they would say.

IntentionalPun

Which actually made sense in the context of the universe.

You haven't play Saints row, have you? Be honest

I played the first 2 to Death, the 2nd is the best open world gta style game ever IMO (including any GTA); the third I liked but it was a bit of a letdown as I felt the side mission structure sucked compared to 2.... but haven't played the fourth because the concept didn't appeal to me and 3 was a letdown, but I will probably play it some day since they updated it not too long ago IIRC.

Number of posts where I cried about it online: 0

You do understand the new one is a new story? It doesn't have to make sense in the context of the first completely. We don't really have all of the details even. TBH I think it looks corny, but I'ma wait for far more than a dumb trailer.

But "making sense" is not the first term that comes to mind when I think of the Saints Row series lol

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Yeah, games are so much better now that we have a roguelike being praised.
GaaS, MTXs, F2P mechanics on full price games, female shaming and forced diversity.
Don't even get me started on "journalists and devs" that either failed on other fields and lack the passion for games, or are dead set on ruining gaming for the "cis male gamer".

Sorry for being "out of touch" with the times.

Top Bottom