• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's something so great about unboxing a new console.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm sure most of us have very fond memories of birthdays and Christmas/Chanukah where you get a new console. Anticipating the journeys this little machine will take you on. Opening the box and carefully taking out each and ever component and removing them from their plastic bags. Booting it up for the first time and hearing the jingles and seeing the menus for the first time.

Even as a 34 year old man with many such memories, the magic of these moments still hits hard. A new gaming PC is great, but it simply doesn't have that same high a new console does for some reason, especially if you're upgrading bit by bit like I usually do.

What are your favorite new console memories?

Last edited:

DosGamer

original NES. It was life changing coming from Atari 2600 days.
I remember staring at pics of Genesis and its early games in the magazines that came out. I was always a sucker for new game mags.
Most recently... it would be the ps5. Just so cool to bring it home and crank that beast up for the first time.
Also, the PS1 was a favorite at my apartment... all my friends loved to play NFL gameday and twisted metal.....

Three

I think it was getting a SNES for a birthday I couldn't contain my excitement when I unwrapped it and unboxed to set it up and play Mario Allstars. It's not the same feeling anymore with getting a new console but I still enjoy it.

Fbh

Yeah getting a new console and unboxing it is always fun. Even if you've seen tons of pictures and reviews, holding it in your hand is always different.
On topic though: Best Christmas Ever. I think my happiness meter peaked that day.

6ca47d7f07cbaf7de6d7426cf180aef9.jpg

Last edited:

Neff

It never gets old, no matter how much you do. The new console smell, the squeak of the plastic wrapping, the feel of it in your hands, the moment of switching it on- it's intoxicating.

My absolute favourite was the Nintendo 64. I'd been waiting for it (and Super Mario 64) for a long time, but the particular moment which crystallised the experience was holding the controller. It melted into my hands, and the realisation that it was finally here hit me like a truck. I've never been so excited to play a new console before and I don't think I ever will be again. Wonderful memory, wonderful times.

Spyxos

I still have the Ps4 and Ps4 Pro packaging somewhere. Even that factory smell from the packaging is kind of good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is something that these companies put an incredible amount of time and effort in to make the initial experience pleasant, and with that, PS5 had one of the worst box setups I've seen in a major electronics in a very long time. It was just very flimsy and thrown together. Maybe they have improved it since but I dunno.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah getting a new console and unboxing it is always fun. Even if you've seen tons of pictures and reviews, holding it in your hand is always different.
On topic though: Best Christmas Ever. I think my happiness meter peaked that day.

6ca47d7f07cbaf7de6d7426cf180aef9.jpg
I got the same one!!

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh
This is something that these companies put an incredible amount of time and effort in to make the initial experience pleasant, and with that, PS5 had one of the worst box setups I've seen in a major electronics in a very long time. It was just very flimsy and thrown together. Maybe they have improved it since but I dunno.
The PS5 unboxing felt like opening a refurbished unit from Gamestop

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
When I got my first Playstation circa 1995. It was the first console I bought for my own money. I was only 13 years old by the time, and I had saved up money by helping out at home with lawn mowing and helping my grandparents painting their house. I also scored a couple of odd jobs through school, which they set up during summer break, so I worked my ass off the whole summer so I could buy the Playstation when it released in september of 95. It was a great feeling to finally be able to unbox it and hook it up to the tv. I didn't have any games for three months but I made sure to play the shit out of that demo disc you got. It was a magical moment. PSX opened up my eyes to what games actually could be. It was the future and it was so cool to be part of it from day 1.

Last edited:

GrayDock

For me it was the SNES, first console that I bought with my own money 2 years after launch. Spent all the weekend playing a rented copy of SFII....
And the PS4 for me was also special because it was the first console that I bought on launch day/night. Spent 2 + hours waiting on the line at a BestBuy. Totally worth.

NeonDelta

Megadrive. I had asked for a SNES, and it was Christmas day and looking like we (me and my siblings) hadn't been given one. Then my mum said there was something else hiding behind the tree. Me my brother and sister Opened it together and it was a megadrive. She explained she went with megadrive as the games were cheaper than SNES ones. I didn't care, I had my first console.

Markio128

The last gaming hardware I unboxed was the PSVR2. I was as giddy as a kipper.
The Series X gave a great first impression while unboxing. MS peaked way too soon this gen.

Spaceman292

Banned
I just feel guilt about blowing so much of my own money on something so dumb. I want the box out of my sight as quickly as possible.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Each unboxing has been a near religious experience carefully unwrapping each thing taking the time to appreciate all the little details, the smells, how the controller feels while imaging all the new games waiting to be experienced. It's a beautiful little bubble of time where it's held in reverence before it collapses with the rest into just don't give a shit about keeping it clean.

I remember the box my N64 cam in had a certain smell. I used to sniff it just for the memories of pure joy when I got my N64 with Mario 64.
In 3 months I will have my PS5 a year. I still have not thrown out the box as I pick it up every so often and look at it remembering the sheer euphoria that I had purchased a PS5 when it was so hard to get.

Buying a Series X in a few weeks!

Last edited:
  • Strength

zcaa0g

Banned
When I opened the PS5 box, my reaction was damn, it's even uglier in person. Hopefully they do a redesign where it's straight angles.

Trilobit

Playstation 2 was my first own stationary console. It felt unreal that winter when I came home from the shop with it and Colin McRae 3. It was so gorgeous and futuristic to young me. I had put many hours of thought into whether I wanted a GC, Xbox or a PS2. In the end I made the right decision for me as I loved the multiplat games, but especially SSX 3, Sly 2, Ape Escape 2. It's still my personal favourite console of all time. The library of games really jelled with me.

ps2.jpg

Last edited:

nikos

The absolute best console unboxing was SEGA Dreamcast on 9.9.99. I still remember the way the box smelled. I kept it in the closet and would take a whiff every now and then. It was incredible.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ive literally only seen my PS5 and XsX for like 10 mins while setting it up behind my TV . :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I really appreciate the Switch Oled box size, it’s like a shoebox but very premium. Apple boxing is top class as well.

Xbox Series X unpacking was special

It really was, the whole thing was veeeery nicely put together - not that it mattered in the end since the console itself...well, we all know how these past 2 years have been for MS consoles.

The whole thing is reversed when it comes to the PS5 - like Heisenberg already mentioned, it felt like it was a GameStop used console packaging ffs and yet, the console is glorious due to its games.

Anyway, yeah, XSX packaging was really nice and it gave you that feeling of yore when unboxing it.

Also : the OG Xbox also had a really nice packaging.

Duchess

This day in March 2021 was one of the happiest I'd had in ages, due to that fucking pandemic (lost job, no Christmas with family, general uncertainty about the future). Got lucky with Amazon UK stock. Sold out 20 minutes later.

yRh0WkP.jpg

Vick

Game Boy and Pokèmon Yellow, Christmas 2000. The only unboxing I truly remember feeling special.
Played the whole damn night next to my little brother who just received Pokèmon Blue. The first dawn we ever saw, and first addiction felt towards a game.

Top Bottom