• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things in gaming that bring you joy

Getting on that elevator and being back in Firelink for the first time
i remember that. i was exploring undead parish and the lift took me down to skele town and i was like surprisedpikachu.mp3 it truly blew my mind.

before that when you are on the bridge where the dragon is and you can go down the ladders to the bonfire. that was another noodle blowing moment. that was the first time i had played any souls game. well i had played Bloodborne but never got far enough to realise how the maps were designed in these games.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
- To see a character / deck / strategy / etc. build come to fruition

- Being challenged by a game, making those brain cells go brrrrr

- Really well done writing (this is extremely rare :( )

- Deep game mechanics that allow me to dive in and figure them out

King Dazzar

Its evolved as time goes on. But some current stand out things for me:
  • HDR
  • Smooth and consistent 60fps frame rate
  • Fluid controls
  • Immersive open worlds
  • RPG elements in non RPG games
  • Extensive weapon & character upgrade and customisation options

kungfuian

Loved the anticipation of Sony E3 press conferences of yesteryear. Especially with the live audience reactions. They were the adult version of opening presents on Christmas morning!

Hate the new "we won't show you shit even though we have more studios than ever and have a ton in development" lame video only marketing.

supernova8

Banned
As a child, getting my parents to buy me a game and then spending the entire car ride home reading the physical manual (remember when that was a thing) with my head down, and then feeling sick and having to chill out before playing the absolute living hell out of said game.

supernova8

Banned
- One of the best feelings is when a game has both great movement animations, and the animation speed actually matches how far the character moves. It's the worst when you have a character performing a jog, and they are zipping and sliding across the floor like they have skates on.

- Getting a double jump power up

- Finding a short cut or ending up back in a familiar place from a different direction on a metroidvania map

- Playing a survival horror and actually feeling underpowered and/or nearly useless in combat.

- Landing a combo you've been practicing for a particular situation in a fighting game. Even if you lose, you feel like you made progress.
Two games that really nailed this for me in recent years were MGSV Phantom Pain and then even more recently Metroid Dread. Another semi-related thing is the games where they have proper contextual animations, such as when you run/walk up against a wall, the character puts their hand against it so that it feels that much more real. You're not just endlessly running on the spot like a treadmill once you hit the end of a certain direction.

Last edited:
As a child, getting my parents to buy me a game and then spending the entire car ride home reading the physical manual (remember when that was a thing) with my head down, and then feeling sick and having to chill out before playing the absolute living hell out of said game.
did you ever puke on the manual?

Tell me you've played Returnal because your cock would wild out
Oh yes, multiple times. But to be fair, there are far more atmospheric games than just Returnal imo. It has a great soundtrack, and the most atmospheric part is when you are in the house.

Mass Effect 1 to 3
Resident Evil 7
Half Life 2
Bioshock

Are probably the most atmospheric games I've played.

Beating up little children.
And because I can't do that, I am sad.
obviously I am joking... or am I?

Last edited:

ssringo

Killing a boss in a SoulsRing game with 1mm of health bar left. Some of the biggest pumps I've had in 30 years of gaming.
Bfpan7G.jpg

From my first, and completely blind, playthrough of Elden Ring. Great moment and much joy was had.

1080 60 fps / 120 fps / 144 fps
Doom 2016 OST
Creating the United Federation of Planets on Stellaris

The smell of new hardware (GPU, CPU, Consoles, Headset...)
Beating Liquid Ocelot
Laughing at MS/XBOX mistakes

Last edited:

Tahj

Great movement, both of character & camera -- responsive camera that doesn't pull to the character (or option to turn that off), rotating quickly (on controller in particular), sprinting w/out stamina restriction, sliding, smooth momentum w/ said movement, mantling, having a double jump is a nice bonus...

Finding a great game that I really never tire of, & after feasting on it until there's nothing but bones, it can then become a "comfort game" I am always down to replay or do more runs in. Currently, mine are Dead Cells, Returnal, & Borderlands 3.

Lastly, for now, music. Always love an OST that I want blaring both in & out of game -- my aforementioned comfort games all have these.

Last edited:

Filben

Rewarding exploration, like an item that actually helps me progress or make difficult things easier.

Amazing soundtrack, which, unfortunately, rarely happens. We need a Hans Zimmer for video games.

Lovely animations and great character interactions.

Concise dialogues with no bullshit filler lines.

Responsive controls and good feedback when traverse and fight; when the character feels grounded to the world and not "floaty".

Some specific joyus things:

* Decimating 2 dozens of bad guys with an ongoing combo in one of the Arkham-Games... I'M BATMAN!
* The nostalgia rush, I got, starting the FF7-Remake for the first time. Holey Moley!
* The high of a good (complete OP-)run in "Binding of Isaac". BLLLLAARRRGH!
* Finding an opponent online in Tekken 7 that is evenly matched and it is (rare as a unicorn) FUN to fight one match after the other against the same person. *shitty ham radio speaker voice* THE KING OF IRON FIST TOURNAMENT!
* Having a Mariana-Trench-deep mod list (Skyrim sits at about 700 single mods) and the game works! HOW?!
* Having friends over and playing the stupidest of little silly mutiplayer games, like Boomerang Fu, Genital Jousting, Duck Game, and so on. LOVE this shit!

The successful parry sound in any soulsborne game followed by the window to land that critical hit as the enemy drops their guard.

So many little things and not so little. Main one being knowing what to do but then being able to do it. Simple concept most games have but just feels amazing when it all clicks.

-Good sound design. Music, ambience noise, menu screens, guns blazing, etc. Give me an eargasm.
-Nailing a perfect parry.
-Killing someone during their ult in Overwatch just to hear their death scream in the middle of it.
-Being in the forest at night with the trees swaying staring up at a full moon enjoy the quiet peacefulness of it all.
-Anything flying.

GermanZepp

-60fps.
-Cool secret level/area.
-Good sound desing for fighting gameplay.
-Good parry.
-Cohesive lore.
-Good level desing.
-A gameplay change withing the game itself when is well done (turret section, chasing, flying).
-New game + or endgame content.

TheGrat1

There is nothing quite like the satisfaction gained from turning people into pieces of people with a good shotgun.
inside-out-joy.gif

small_law

Games that set flags for actions that complete side quests you haven't acquired. If you do all the stuff to complete a side quest you don't have, when you get that side quest, it completes and you don't have to do everything twice.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I like going back to towns/areas you started off the game in that took you away from those areas and you figured you'd never see those towns or areas again and either the story takes you back there or you can find your way back there while exploring dozens of hours later to see what changed. It's like a mini nostalgia moment within your little gaming experience revisiting an early town.

Last edited:

Valonquar

When you kill your friend in Contra when they can't catch up in time on vertical stages.
When you pause during P2's turn in Super Mario Bros.

MacReady13

Today? Nothing except VR gaming although where that is going is anyone's guess...

In years past? Getting new, exciting hardware that was fresh and innovative and exciting (think SNES from NES. N64 from SNES. Dreamcast from N64 and 360 from Dreamcast).

Playing a new Mario platformer, whether it be in 2D or 3D (in fact, this is probably the only other thing that excites me about gaming today).

Gaming today and for the foreseeable future doesn't excite me 1 bit (again, apart from the possibilities in VR). A future of renting games on a sub service and playing games on a cloud service with [input lag is not the future of gaming I want. Plus, gaming is turning into movies- FAR too expensive for crap being released and this will definitely affect the future of how games are made.

Shifty1897

That moment in a game where you are nearly dead, and then you open a door and find out you're back at the central hub / safe point, like a little shortcut back home.

This comment was inspired by all of Bloodborne.

Johnny2Bad

Funny scenes.

RDR2:
Charles Chatenay: I am a hole ass!
Arthur Morgan: You mean an asshole?
Charles Chatenay: That too my friend, that too!

The twin brothers ask Arthur to kick them in the nuts, so he does. Always cracks me up.

Caio

1) Amazing Graphics and smooth performance.
2) Great art design and level design.
3) Advanced physics and animations.
4) Deep and challenging gameplay.
5) Rewarding exploration.
6) Immersive sound.

Give me these few things and I will be happy :D

Tell me you've played Returnal because your cock would wild out
I did. It was pretty good. But if I am being honest Scorn was a far more atmospheric game, but I think its because of its first person view. Games in first person tend to me more atmospheric. Resident Evil 7 was fantastic as well Starfield is actually also atmospheric when your in an abandoned space station, or some sort of a derelict ship. There are quite a few horror elements in that game lol.

Top Bottom