• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things in gaming that bring you joy

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Throw out some things that you experience in gaming that bring you joy. You can be as broad or specific as you want.

Entering a major boss fight and that epic music kicks in and it's like "LET'S FUCKING GO"

Solving a really difficult puzzle and the rewarding feeling it gives you.

Getting that really powerful piece of equipment/skill/ability that lets you kick so much ass and you realize the game has just changed.

Stepping out into a massive open world for the first time knowing for the next dozens of hours, this is going to be yours to explore.

When your strategy against a really difficult boss that has given you trouble pays off and you know it's checkmate and you have them dead to rights and this time you're going to beat them.

Getting double dump in a platformer or Metroidvania and knowing you now have a bunch of new areas to explore and traversing is going to be so much easier.

Eimran

Unleashing a super attack in a hack and Slash game which kills all the enemies surrounding you

Getting a huge combo in a fighting game

Arriving in a new huge city in an RPG (mostly Dragon Quest)

The slashing sound when dismembering zombies, getting critical headshots

Making the combo in a skate, snowboard or other stunt game just in time before you hit the ground

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
psv-gravity-ss5-600.jpg

The sign is the floor, but her hair reflects normal gravity. Such an elegant design choice.

Robb

Gold Member
Solving a puzzle the unintended way always feels amazing imo.

That’s probably my favorite thing in the new Zelda games. All the most memorable shrines were ones where I made something stupid that somehow actually functioned and only realized what “I was supposed to do” afterwards.

Last edited:
When I get the perfect set of items/relics/abilities on rogue like games. Binding of Isaac comes to mind with Guppy Transformation + Laser + that thing that lets you control the laser location.

Digimon World - Before I had access to Internet. Whenever I got a cool evolution without knowing the requirements. This made me think how the internet kind of ruined a lot of surprises in games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As of late? Probably playing The Division 2.

I know that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and people around here tend to have strongly negative opinions about live service games or Ubisoft, but there's just something about The Division games that's so comforting for me. It's like putting on a nice pair of slippers, wrapping yourself in a fresh robe, and kicking back in a lazy boy with a cup of warm tea in your hand. I love the atmosphere and the attention to detail, the design and aesthetics, and most importantly - the incredibly addictive gameplay loop. I've been playing this series since the first game came out back in 2016 and I'm still nowhere near getting tired of this formula. I love running around in PvE, sniping bad guys, cracking open item boxes, customizing my gear, enjoying the nice sunset... and holy hell, they even recently released a new mode in The Division 2 that's like this roguelite thing and it's amazing. It will add countless more hours to the longevity of this game.

It would genuinely make me sad if Ubisoft would ever decide to shut down the servers for these games and I wouldn't be able to play through them ever again.

Water rippling when you walk through it, especially how Naughty Dog manages to make that happen in smaller and smaller puddles with each game they make.

Trees and bushes interacting with your character like Red Dead 2 does.

Rain graphics that get better and better in games every year.

Actual recordings of thunderstorms like Days Gone has.

A.I. like Far Cry 2 and Last of Us that feels as close as you'd like to get to killing real people.

As of late? Probably playing The Division 2.

I know that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and people around here tend to have strongly negative opinions about live service games or Ubisoft, but there's just something about The Division games that's so comforting for me. It's like putting on a nice pair of slippers, wrapping yourself in a fresh robe, and kicking back in a lazy boy with a cup of warm tea in your hand. I love the atmosphere and the attention to detail, the design and aesthetics, and most importantly - the incredibly addictive gameplay loop. I've been playing this series since the first game came out back in 2016 and I'm still nowhere near getting tired of this formula. I love running around in PvE, sniping bad guys, cracking open item boxes, customizing my gear, enjoying the nice sunset... and holy hell, they even recently released a new mode in The Division 2 that's like this roguelite thing and it's amazing. It will add countless more hours to the longevity of this game.

It would genuinely make me sad if Ubisoft would ever decide to shut down the servers for these games and I wouldn't be able to play through them ever again.
Did they add the Division 1 map to that game? I may play this eventually just to explore D.C. the next one that's coming out looks like complete trash though unfortunately.

Hudo

Being able to side with the villian or straight up be the villain and still getting the girl.

I am working on it irl.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Isa

Vox Machina

Banned
I love the moment I gain a skill point to use, and weigh where I’m going to spend it.

That feeling when you've been getting close to be able to invest that skill point into something you've been looking forward to, and you get that skill point and get to use that ability in the next combat. Niceuuuu

Bartski

Gold Member
Beating games with GITGUD them rather than by getting OP (Sekiro, Returnal... ).

Also, getting OP. Diablo 4 made me hate level scaling with passion again.

Universally, good collision and hit reaction physics.

Permanent non-despawning dead enemies give me a boner.

Damigos

Anything that is a cohesive experience without mtx or battle passes or always online or season and battle passes or cosmetic shops

Mr Hyde

The smell of a new game as I open the box.

Atmospheric and good music. A kick ass OST is always appreciated.

Nostalgia. When a retro game getting a re-release with new features and modes. The new announcement of Star Ocean 2 got me super excited. A HD-2D remake of a beloved classic is freaking awesome. Other examples is Pocky and Rocky reshrined and Blizzards arcade collection. I just love this kind of retro packaging.

Beating a difficult boss that's been testing your patience for a few hours (or days).

Reactions: Isa

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
- Figuring out that I'm going to vibe with the OST when I start a new game. Granted, game music is usually inoffensively bland at the worst of times (barring RE basement caliber instances) but it's pretty rare for a game to just absolutely floor me front to back with music. Cases like Final Fantasy, Metroid Prime and Silent Hill are just so special to me partly because of this.

- Sight seeing. The initial pull of Assassin's Creed and open world in general for me, before the honeymoon phase ended and I realized all the lazy shortcuts that can and are used on any map with any kind of body to it. Again, it's the exceptions for me. Games that felt like they did the concept justice. Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood/4/Unity/Origins, The Witcher, Zelda, most Final Fantasy games, hell, even Silent Hill. Anything that has a fleshed out world that feels lived in, that I can lose myself in for awhile with convincing immersion.

- Files. Notes. Documents. Articles. Scanning. Bestiaries. Anything non-essential or supplemental that I can just lore dive into for several hours in game. I love trivia and background details. Pairs into the immersion deal above for me.

- Boss battles or parkour levels in churches/chapels/bell towers. Nothing to really elaborate on, shit just looks fucking cool.

- Rain during gameplay. I know it's one of those things that's hard to do convincingly in games, but I cut my teeth on sitting on the middle island in OOT's Lake Hylia and playing the Song of Storms, so I'm not particularly picky about my rain.

- Dynamic music. Thought this was the shit ever since Wind Waker and it's weird little musical parries.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did they add the Division 1 map to that game? I may play this eventually just to explore D.C. the next one that's coming out looks like complete trash though unfortunately.
They've added a different part of the Manhattan island in the Warlords of New York expansion. It's not the same map as from the first game but it's still cool that you get to revisit NY during a different time of year and that it's a new location instead of recycled assets:

Zko1wzR.jpg

The above is just the expansion. The main game still takes place in DC.

Last edited:

Roberts

I will never get tired of that sweet ass sound when you get a rare achievement.

Recently?

I already mentioned that today, but reaching the shores of Melee island in Sea of Thieves dlc and meeting all the familiar faces brought a smile.

Also, me and my friend got to the part where you need to fight Dr. schecter or whatver his name was in Grounded and he kicked our ass but the idea that we have finally just about finished the game made me all giddy. Can’t wait to upgrade our weapons with sour stuff, stack up on health coctails and kick his ass.

Gandih42

A few things at the top of my head:

1. Changing the rules in the final boss encounter. Examples (spoilers for old games ahead):
- Controlling ALL party members at once for the final boss of Neverwinter Nights 2
- MGS4 turning into a pseudo fighting game

2. Hype callbacks to the adventure in the final boss (generally in the form of cutscene or QTE direction). Minor spoilers for Astral Chain: For instance, doing QTE combos on the final boss with all Legions (FFXVI did this really well too, IMO).

3. The feeling of genuine discovery. This typically comes from not being afraid of the player missing out on stuff in the first playthrough (FromSoftware are excellent with this). A recent favorite example being the 'Wells' in Elden Ring.

- One of the best feelings is when a game has both great movement animations, and the animation speed actually matches how far the character moves. It's the worst when you have a character performing a jog, and they are zipping and sliding across the floor like they have skates on.

- Getting a double jump power up

- Finding a short cut or ending up back in a familiar place from a different direction on a metroidvania map

- Playing a survival horror and actually feeling underpowered and/or nearly useless in combat.

- Landing a combo you've been practicing for a particular situation in a fighting game. Even if you lose, you feel like you made progress.

Top Bottom