• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of buying a Wii U for the kids

bitbydeath

I was looking at a Switch initially but Wii U games are like 70-80% cheaper, there’s a lot more of them and performance wise it holds up pretty well against the Switch.

My kids are between ages 4 and 7.
Mario Kart is number one on the list.
Probably get Mario Party as well.
What else would you recommend? (Kid friendly only games).

Is the Luigi game any good?
Do you have to use the screen controller or can you just use regular ones?

Any other gotchas I should be aware of?

I was looking at a Switch initially but Wii U games are like 70-80% cheaper, there’s a lot more of them and performance wise it holds up pretty well against the Switch.

My kids are between ages 4 and 7.
Mario Kart is number one on the list.
Probably get Mario Party as well.
What else would you recommend? (Kid friendly only games).

Is the Luigi game any good?
Do you have to use the screen controller or can you just use regular ones?

Any other gotchas I should be aware of?

Well you'll find them second hand so make sure the gamepad works before buying.

Other game controllers can be used.

Luigi game? I think that's just a Mario game but you play as Luigi.

Zelda: BoTW. The kids will love that!

You can also play Wii games on the Wii U, So there are some decent games to pick up. Too many I can pick off the list, Do a quick search on the youtube for kid friendly Wii & WiiU games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yoshi's Woolly World should be perfect for them. It is a great platformer that is easy to pick up, but not completely trivial and it has an adorable style. Also, of course Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U are great choices.

jts

...hate me...
Main gotcha for the Wii U? Without the gamepad the system is done for. I’m not sure there’s even more games on Wii U than Switch at this point. Future proof your purchase and get them a Switch. There’s always games on sale and besides it doubles as a portable console and as a multiplayer portable console (out of the box). It is a lot more value.

bitbydeath

You can also play Wii games on the Wii U, So there are some decent games to pick up. Too many I can pick off the list, Do a quick search on the youtube for kid friendly Wii & WiiU games.

Luigis Mansion was the one I was thinking of.

bitbydeath

Main gotcha for the Wii U? Without the gamepad the system is done for. I’m not sure there’s even more games on Wii U than Switch at this point. Future proof your purchase and get them a Switch. There’s always games on sale and besides it doubles as a portable console and as a multiplayer portable console (out of the box). It is a lot more value.

The portability factor turns me off it honestly. Kids walking off with screens or asking to take it places is the last thing I want.

Reactions: jts

Mattyp

Gold Member
You could probably pick up a Wii cheapest with about 40 games and give the kids years of entertainment. Wii right now is in the prime time to be buying bulk lots gutting the good games selling the rest and building the collection while turning a profit.

bitbydeath

You could probably pick up a Wii cheapest with about 40 games and give the kids years of entertainment. Wii right now is in the prime time to be buying bulk lots gutting the good games selling the rest and building the collection while turning a profit.

I don’t like the wands, having to select a menu item with those things has to be the most excruciating experience ever invented.

It takes a good 20-30secs just to select something.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

There is none on Wii U. There is one on GameCube, one on 3DS and one on Switch (soon).

I saw this??

images

I don’t like the wands, having to select a menu item with those things has to be the most excruciating experience ever invented.

It takes a good 20-30secs just to select something.
Get A Wii U...
Your kid can do everything on it "autonomously" without even bothering you when you watch your stuff on the big tv screen... ;)

I hated this console until my kid grew up, now I feel it's a gods send gift..

bellome

I bought a Switch to introduce my 3 and 1/2 young boy to gaming.

It is perfect.

Games are pricey but i don't need to buy dozens of them and second hand helps a lot.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wii-U cannot bear Nintendo land.
this has a Luigi’s mansion mini game
Pick up four wiimotes and nunchucks.
Tbh for multi local play games the wii-u was really decent.
Mario 3D world
Smash brothers
Lego games etc
Other games escape me at the moment but yeah it has

wii
super Mario galaxies

Also for after hours play you have some great mature games for yourself. Pick up zombie-u , ninja gaiden razors edge , the Arkham games.
Also wii games you can’t got wrong with :
Tatsunoko vs capcom
Sin and punishment 2
Red steel 2

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a WiiU for the same reason!! There are quite a few good games for it that are exclusive and you can get them relatively cheap nowadays. Plus you have the whole wii library available as well. My plan will be to get it for Christmas for them...and it adds to my collection as well.

MB2Z

Will be listing non single player games.

If Wii U:

- Super Mario 3D World
- Yoshi’s Wooly World
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Mario Kart 8
- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
- Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
- Star Fox Zero
- Mario Party 10
- New Super Mario U
- Whole Wii library

If Switch (Non Lite version):

- Pokémon Let’s Go (coop included)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Super Mario Party
- Arms
- New Super Mario U Deluxe
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
- Yoshi’s Crafted World
- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
- Kirby Star Allies
- Snipperclips
- Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

BigBooper

I don't know whether to recommend or not, because I'm fully expecting to try to turn my Gamepad on one day and it not work, and being too expensive to get a replacement. It has a ton of great games, and can also play Wii games, so if you want access to a ton of games for cheap, yea it's a good option.

Most of it's exclusives have been ported to the switch though, which will certainly be easier to get ahold of in the future than a working wii u.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get a "new nintendo 2ds" if the switch is too expensive. the wii u is awful. i bought one and returned it after 2 days because of the awful gamepad. if you're gonna get a Wii U then at least get a pro controller.

Literally EVERY game Nintendo has ever made up to the Wii U is playable on the Wii U.

get a "new nintendo 2ds" if the switch is too expensive. the wii u is awful. i bought one and returned it after 2 days because of the awful gamepad. if you're gonna get a Wii U then at least get a pro controller.

WRONG.

Last edited:

cireza

I bought a Switch to introduce my 3 and 1/2 young boy to gaming.

It is perfect.

Games are pricey but i don't need to buy dozens of them and second hand helps a lot.
A Wii U is a much better budget choice. The console is around 100$ and you can get many of these 50$ Switch games for 15$ used on Wii U. With only the price of Switch, you get a Wii U with easily 8 games, including Nintendo First Party games of course.

New Mario Brow U
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
etc...

The Wii U is awesome. The gamepad is perfectly fine and actually offers good ergonomics, which is not the case of the Switch. How do you do multiplayer with a single 2DS ?

Last edited:

radewagon

Get them a Switch.

Nothing against the WiiU. It's a great little system, but it also has a very finite library and is, obviously, a discontinued product. Also, kids like new stuff. Let them have a system with current games. For example, every cool new Mario or Link game that comes out, they won't be able to play. It's going to be annoying. And depending on how much that 7 year old takes to gaming, you're probably going to end up getting him or her the Switch anyway when he or she asks for one for a birthday or xmas gift.

Save yourself the headache. Buy the Switch.

Last edited:
If you don't mind having a small* library for it, I'd say buy it. Nintendo didn't make a ton of them relative to its other consoles, so it'll become a collector's item for some future Nintendo fanboy, if nothing else. I my kids enjoyed Minecraft: Super Mario edition, Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario World 3D, Donkey Kong, Splatoon, and even W101.

*excluding the Wii compatibility, which might not be a factor for you at all or it might make the Wii U purchase all the better.

BlackTron

Wii U is still viable as it's cheaper and has many of the games that might be enticing on Switch. But since you mentioned it in your post, be aware that the Wii U's Mario Party got a pretty bad reception compared to the new one.

The Wii U plays Wii games as well so it makes more sense to get the Wii U and cover both bases.

Get them a Switch.

Nothing against the WiiU. It's a great little system, but it also has a very finite library and is, obviously, a discontinued product. Also, kids like new stuff. Let them have a system with current games. For example, every cool new Mario or Link game that comes out, they won't be able to play. It's going to be annoying. And depending on how much that 7 year old takes to gaming, you're probably going to end up getting him or her the Switch anyway when he or she asks for one for a birthday or xmas gift.

Save yourself the headache. Buy the Switch.
EVERY SINGLE NINTENDO GAME RELEASED BEFORE THE SWITCH IS PLAYABLE ON THE WII U

I'm sure the kids will be happy with literally 10,000 games.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I keep forgetting that GameCube titles didn’t work on the Wii U right out of the box.

Add all the titles above with Wii games and Nintendont, and you have a crazy Nintendo machine. I’m not sure if you want to go down the rabbit hole of hacking a console, but it is something that is also there to do.

TLZ

Banned
Almost same age as my kids. They love playing Mario Party and Mario 3D World the most.

My oldest likes playing Wii's Mario Galaxy as well. Good thing Wii games work on it perfectly.

Last edited:

The Shepard

I'd say wind waker HD over Botw for the kids as it's not the easiest zelda and takes a while to get going.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Toad Treasure Tracker is a good kid game.

If you live in MD I'll sell you mine. I have the hated white one.

Daymos

I'd go with a 2ds xl if you don't want a switch, but really a switch or even a ps4 if you don't want portable would be the best choice. 2ds/3ds has a HUGE library of cheap games.

I have a wii U and my daughter plays it from time to time (shes 11) and I really wish she's just play ps4 or switch with the pro controller for durability purposes. She has a 2ds xl and really likes animal crossing, tomadachi life, and pokemon Y occasionally. My son has the switch and takes it everywhere playing a ton of dragon quest builders 2. .. says it's better than minecraft.

I worry about the wii U since if you drop the wii U gamepad or scratch/destroy the screen that's it.. also my wii U has connection issues from time to time where I have to be 3 feet from the console with the gamepad. You also have the charge cord for the gamepad that is just asking to be eating by a dog or yanked around breaking the connector on the gamepad, the batteries don't last very long so you're always sitting there with it plugged in.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Once I've traded my Xbox One for a Wii U with lots of games... for my kid ofc... By the time he was still a newborn so he couldn't beat any game yet. So I've beaten several games for him to help him out in the future.

5 years later he was playing his first Wii U game: Mario Kart 8. It had everything already unlocked. Because I did it for him .... only.

/s
Just wanted to share this history with you guys

Get Super Mario 3d land and you are good to go.

Last edited:

Cravis

I love my Wii U. Hacked it and now I can play GameCube and Triforce games on it. Nice not having my GameCube and original Wii hooked up since my Wii U can do (mostly) everything they can.

sol740

My kids have a Switch, and the Wii U still gets regular use. Even better now that they can be had dirt cheap.

Hinedorf

Banned
I would skip Wii U if it's a money issue. Go with 3DS! You can probably get 2 for the price of a console, they can share games, and you have a MASSIVE library of kid friendly games for them to grow into over time giving the handhelds far more usability and longevity.

Getting a WiiU is like getting a shittier version of the Switch. 3DS stands on it's own and Mario Kart on it is fantastic. 3DS gives you the price with portability Wii U wont!

Last edited:
go for the wiiu (black model)! with my kids we're still having a lot lot lot of fun thanks to zelda botw, mario kart, smash (up to 8 players!), super mario world and bros, splatoon, lego city undercover (take it! a gta for kids) and nintendoland. this one is a gem for young kids! especially this minigame where the one with the gamepad has to hide from the others players :D

also we played with mario maker, minecraft, runbow, lovers in a dangerous spacetime, steamworld dig, tetrobot, affordable space adventures, rayman legends, pikmin, hyrule warriors, tokyo mirage sessions and one of the best openworlds ever done: xenoblade chronicles X!

Last edited:

Malio

Wii U is trash, but your kids won't know the difference so it's a good choice. :D

Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
NintendoLand
Just Dance 4
Super Mario 3D World
Yoshi's Wooly World

All good for kids and fun.
(that's about it though)

Get them all used off Ebay for cheap, be a hero.

Last edited:
Top Bottom