• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Apple Event, "One More Thing," announced for November 10th - ARM Macs

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

zgJdcgi.png

"
Apple has announced a new “One More Thing” event for November 10th, which will presumably see the company announce its first Arm-based Macs that run on Apple Silicon chips instead of the Intel processors that the company had used since 2005.

The language here is particularly notable: the One More Thing” phrase has long been used by Apple — and particularly by former CEO Steve Jobs — in keynotes for significant product announcements. The last time Apple used the phrase was for the announcement of the iPhone X in 2017.
"
Livestream:

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Right thing to do for Apple but not an easy transition to make. Will pay dividends in the long run. Compatibility is going to be a nightmare. Boot Camp users will also be stranded. Hackintosh users are done for too. I wonder how long they'll offer both x86 and ARM machines?

I'll tell you what though, Intel is taking small jabs from all directions right now; funny enough Apple will now be licensing the ARM instruction set from Nvidia.

Last edited:
Who would have thought x86 architecture would be fucked one day.
Good riddance, though.
Still ridiculous this shit beat the Motorola 68000 back in the 90ies.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
so.... What are the chances this affects the PC market in the future? Will we ever see Intel/AMD/MS give in and switch to an RISC based instruction set completely?

I wonder how poorly these new apple chips will perform when having to virtualize the old intel chips. So curious about this whole thing.

Last edited:

theHFIC

With the new phones are capable of editing a single stream of 60 fps 4K Dolby Vision HDR video, I am excited to see what desktop class chips can produce.

Also the entire iOS app store becomes available on the AppleSilicon Macs day 1 of Big Sur (except for the devs who opt-out). Potential to disrupt a lot of Mac specific apps that have gotten comfortable on the platform. if they can work out the interface changes.

This is going to be a good one to follow. I am guessing they are starting off with the low end Macbook and maybe an iMac.

Fake

so.... What are the chances this affects the PC market in the future? Will we ever see Intel/AMD/MS give in and switch to an RISC based instruction set completely?

I wonder how poorly these new apple chips will perform when having to virtualize the old intel chips. So curious about this whole thing.

Well, judging Microsoft attempt, no so much.

Modern OS are so much battery hungry. And lets be honest, IDK if Apple even notice, but most of their users are heavy software users. The fact companies collect brute data to make their conclusion are nuts.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
so.... What are the chances this affects the PC market in the future?

I think this will just be something specific that you buy. If you are looking to get into the Mac environment this is what you will go for, because everything is built around it to work better as it's built from the ground up the way Apple wants it to be built. As with anything Apple, this is just going to make the MacOS more proprietary and probably eliminate the hackintoshes, etc.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder how long it will take Adobe to make a risc version of the creative suite and if it’s going to break cross platform comparability (which would totally screw up my studio work flows that use both Pc’s and MacBooks pros)

theHFIC

I wonder how long it will take Adobe to make a risc version of the creative suite and if it’s going to break cross platform comparability (which would totally screw up my studio work flows that use both Pc’s and MacBooks pros)
Most of it is in progress. Photoshop and Illustrator have been using iPad Pro as a testing ground for a couple years and Premiere was demoed at I believe NAB 2019. AfterEffects is going to be the tricky one since it is so plug-in heavy.

Adobe got burned bad when Apple went from PPC to Intel and I think Apple and Adobe worked to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Still wouldn’t expect a formal release of CC for Apple Silicon for another year. Will be interested to see the performance with Rosetta 2 in the meantime.

As an Avid guy I think I may be hosed though.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Most of it is in progress. Photoshop and Illustrator have been using iPad Pro as a testing ground for a couple years and Premiere was demoed at I believe NAB 2019. AfterEffects is going to be the tricky one since it is so plug-in heavy.

Adobe got burned bad when Apple went from PPC to Intel and I think Apple and Adobe worked to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Still wouldn’t expect a formal release of CC for Apple Silicon for another year. Will be interested to see the performance with Rosetta 2 in the meantime.

As an Avid guy I think I may be hosed though.

Seriously After Effects gives our workflows nightwares as. We have to carefully vet every plugin that goes in and we do our best to stay extremely limited on there use. Luckily Red Giant has been good keeping updates to their plugins.

Last edited:

Yoda

If the watt per performance trends follow what we've seen w/the iPhone and iPad, this'll be a major shock the consumer laptop/desktop market. It'll probably take a year or two for the machines to be ready for professional use, but everyday use (email, web browsing, etc...) I bet will be solid within a few months.

Super Mario

Banned
If the watt per performance trends follow what we've seen w/the iPhone and iPad, this'll be a major shock the consumer laptop/desktop market. It'll probably take a year or two for the machines to be ready for professional use, but everyday use (email, web browsing, etc...) I bet will be solid within a few months.

Right, that's the point. Apple could give two shits about a year of bumps in the road for software they don't make. Apple users have already proven time and time again, they will comply to the experience chosen for them. In the end, it will make them even richer.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Everyday use has been fine on ARM for a decade at this point, on their smartphones and tablets. I don't see any reason why Apple can't pull this off sooner rather than later, and the leaks that came from the test Mac they sent out a few months ago were positive and encouraging.

I'm interested to see what Apple has planned for their ARM-based models. I wonder if they'll start with the MacBook Air and non-pro lines first, or if they'll lead with the pro models. Also, I wonder how locked-down they'll be.

TTOOLL

I'm planning to get a new MacBook next year so I hope they deliver. I don't think getting an Intel Mac nowadays is a smart choice.

theHFIC

I'm interested to see what Apple has planned for their ARM-based models. I wonder if they'll start with the MacBook Air and non-pro lines first, or if they'll lead with the pro models. Also, I wonder how locked-down they'll be.

If it is like PPC to Intel they start with the lower end MacBooks and iMacs so maybe the MacBook will come back from the dead or they will refresh the MacBook Air. Most of the apps for Apple Silicon from Big Sur's release this month until WWDC in June are probably going to be A LOT of content coming from the new dual iOS/Mac App Store for the platform.

As for locking down... At WWDC they did mention limited virtualization would be available along with container based platforms like Docker. Apple is actively supporting and sponsoring projects like the Homebrew package manager so there are going to be sources for applications outside of the official App Store. Notarization will still be a requirement for 3rd party downloads to run without warning on first launch. AFAIK you can still bypass that non-notarized warning by right clicking on the App and picking open even in Big Sur.

deafmedal

While I'm curious to see what the new chips will offer, it'll be a bit before I upgrade my DAW due to compatibility. Hopefully my '15 MBP keeps kicking for a bit longer as well.

Now, where the fuck are the new ATVs?! :mad:

mango drank

Bloomberg thinks Apple will debut the Air, and the MBP 13" and 16" next week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm planning to get a new MacBook next year so I hope they deliver. I don't think getting an Intel Mac nowadays is a smart choice.

I just upgraded this year! Oh well, it's still a badass machine that will last me for many years.

Will buy*

*not first gen

Yeah, never buy Apple first gen anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

TTOOLL

I just upgraded this year! Oh well, it's still a badass machine that will last me for many years.

They are amazing machines, I actually wouldn't rule out getting one next July when I intend to buy it.

I had a 2017 Air but had to replace it because of online teaching. It could handle the job. I got a windows machine and I regret it everyday since. Power-wise it's a much better machine (ryzen 7), but using it is a chore. MacOS is leagues ahead.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I was really hoping for a new Macbook 12'
Will probably get the Pro as the recent Airs have been incredibly unappealing and pointless these past few years.

Also considering that new Surface Book Go... although I would need to do some upgrades.. the base model is seriously gimped.

Dark Rider

Finally we will see what Apple bring with this, I'll be watching with great interest.
IF good though the question will be to risk getting first gen or to wait for whenever the 2nd gen is released.

TTOOLL

Today’s the day.

I’m pretty excited about it, first gen and all that but their SOCs have been amazing.

I finally jumped the Android ship and the difference is night and day. I can’t wait go go back to using a Mac. I have zero pleasure using my new Windows machine.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’m pretty excited about it, first gen and all that but their SOCs have been amazing.

I finally jumped the Android ship and the difference is night and day. I can’t wait go go back to using a Mac. I have zero pleasure using my new Windows machine.

Yeah, user experience is king at the end of the day, but Apple’s SOCs are killer too.

diffusionx

Gold Member

First gen yes, but Apple has been making their own SOCs since the iPad 1, and they've surely had MacOS running on them since not long after that. This is a long time coming, longer than the switch to Intel, which they pretty much had to do because PPC hit the end of the road.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Thanks, I'm kind hoping they are not too good. I literally just bought a MacBook Air for my wife for Christmas.

I'm rediculious and selfish I know.

but why? They're supposed to release a new one today. There's a 14 day period you can return a Mac. I'm sure your wife will want the newest one.

dottme

but why? They're supposed to release a new one today. There's a 14 day period you can return a Mac. I'm sure your wife will want the newest one.
Especially, if it’s for Christmas, the box is probably close. It shouldn’t be an issue to return.

Trogdor1123

I bought it a month ago, got a killer deal on it. Can't return it now though.

But still... I get I'm being foolish, and selfish

I don't honestly hope it's bad, I just hope it's not way better.

Last edited:

McCheese

Been rocking my 2014 Macbook Pro waiting for the new chipset, the current Air systems have been way too hot and loud for a few generations now. Hoping they might even have a passively cooled model with the iPad chip in it, fuck speed, I just want something that doens't burn my dick when browsing in bed.

Top Bottom