• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gen is the worst ever and i've been in gaming since year 1998

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Thank fuck for Steam and PC gaming - just need to find a way to exile the streamers, zoomers, and retards who flocked to the platform in an attempt to appear 'hardcore' and we're good to go.
I like my PC very dearly and I don't need to be gatekept by anybody, leave me out of this...

Mowcno

A game that takes advantage of the new hardware given by consoles to bring newer, more innovative and exciting experiences. Think Online play with PS360 or 3D gaming with PS1/N64
What innovative exciting experiences would those be?

Like I said people demanding things that are either unachievable or they themselves don't even know what they want.

Wanting a seismic shift in gaming because you have 2020 tech instead of 2013 tech is naive.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I mean, AAA has slowed down quite a bit sure, and a lot of the titles lack creativity or innovation. But indies are definitely carrying the torch. Also, when it comes to graphics you unfortunately kind of did it to yourself if you weren't expecting this gen to really focus on fidelity, lighting, framerate, and raytracing related details. This gen was never meant to blow us away visually, it was only meant to look a bit better in various ways, when I personally think it has accomplished.

Personally I don't know if I'd say it's the "worst" since 1998, there's definitely some solid titles in the AAA/AA/indie realm. But could it be better? Sure! We can only hope it's up from here.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What innovative exciting experiences would those be?

Like I said people demanding things that are either unachievable or they themselves don't even know what they want.

Wanting a seismic shift in gaming because you have 2020 tech instead of 2013 tech is naive.
Well the thing is that the hardware jump now certainly isn't going to enable some brand new 4D game to be made. All people want are better simulations from game worlds like superior physics, destructible buildings and better enemy AI/better environment interaction. Instead people seem to be getting prettier versions of the games last gen that take longer to make and hardly expand on the original ideas or gameplay

Hohenheim

It feels like lots of people judging the whole industry based on the hottest mainstream trends.
There's LOTS of amazing games coming out every month. I can' keep up, and would probably never be able to play everything I want even if no more games came out from here on. And i've never played a GAAS game and I don't play multiplayer games.

The past 4-5 years (which is what people see as the "new generation" I guess?) have had amazing games in almost every genre.

Look a bit further than the absolute mainstream, and the industry is full of amazing experiences. Like it always has been.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Well the thing is that the hardware jump now certainly isn't going to enable some brand new 4D game to be made. All people want are better simulations from game worlds like superior physics, destructible buildings and better enemy AI/better environment interaction. Instead people seem to be getting prettier versions of the games last gen that take longer to make and hardly expand on the original ideas or gameplay
This gen really is just higher res, FPS and much faster load times than the older consoles. Developers aren't pushing super advanced physics or AI but that's nothing to do with console generations anyway as neither are pc games doing that.

The next shifts in gameplay are most likely going to involve generative AI models and that shift might not rely on local hardware power at all anyway. The tale end of this generation could see the start of it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Developers aren't pushing super advanced physics or AI but that's nothing to do with console generations anyway as neither are pc games doing that.
yeah its a problem on both sides of the aisle.

The issue with this gen isn't the hardware it's the direction game developers choose to go in where instead of making new interesting experiences they choose to Go GaaS or go back to the PAST with a remake

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think the generation has been pretty bad in comparison to the others.

Remakes and remasters have been the crutches for this gen. Im going to remember it most for Elden Ring, MS buying everyone and all of the layoffs and closures.

GTA6's release will more than likely be the high point. That shit will be historical. So at least there's that to look forward to.

Remakes and remasters have been the crutches for this gen. Im going to remember it most for Elden Ring, MS buying everyone and all of the layoffs and closures.

GTA6's release will more than likely be the high point. That shit will be historical. So at least there's that to look forward to.

Elden Ring and BG3 for me. Also Mass Effect Remaster. That's my favorite series of all time so to get a complete package like we did was amazing to me. Fixed a lot of issues on the PC versions as well.

Ceadeus

The best was late 90s, early 00s

Variety was at the center of the industry. Discrimination and politics were not a thing.

You could taste early online gaming on consoles.

You could go to the Arcade and meet people and have a cold beer.

Handheld gaming was at its peek.

During this time, we've seen the very best games releasing.

This gen is ass. I was thinking I might buy a ps5 pro but now, I'm not so sure. To play the same ass games, remakes and crossgen ports? Literally the worst gen period. Too much Gaas as well is just stinking up the gen. No creativity what so ever and too much risk aversion.

Kssio_Aug

Nah, I think it's fine.

Sure, releases have been stale this gen, if you expect current gen graphics/performance, or if you're expecting the old devs to deliver the same quality they used to.

But imo there's plenty to play, and a constant stream of release of good games overall.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
We’ve gotten some absolute bangers these past few years. That doesn’t mean this also hasn’t been the worst generation of gaming.

I was born in 1988, started gaming on my brother’s Nintendo when I was 4 years old. I remember gaming in the 90s and 2000s incredibly well. Not only were we seeing a constant and meaningful evolution in visual design and fidelity, but also creative experimentation in the birth and refinement of genres. Most of the greatest IPs that still carry on to this day started in that Era. Back then, we didn’t wait 4-7 years for the next entry in our favorites series of games. We waited 1-2.

Gaming was absolutely superior in the 90s and 2000s.

The industry is in rough shape, but we are getting incredible games every single year. And the indie space is much much better than it has ever been. Development costs, crappy GaaS, subscription type stuff all sucks. But the games are great.

BG3 and Elden Ring are all time masterpieces and there have been dozens of other excellent games the last few years. I think we are doing just fine. You may have to search harder for what you are looking for and sift through some bullshit though.

Radical_3d

Wait 1998 was a great year. Maybe the derivative platforms from the late 80s early 90s put us in a much dire situation than today. And the Atari and Spectrum era game were trash. But that’s about it concerning worst generations.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe people are bitter about less exclusives, but I have played a lot of good JRPGs this gen, and all I can say is: I've been eating good.
You and me both….
giphy.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Are indie and AA games unplayable for some reason?

Here’s what I said that you felt the need to reply to:

All of which have been completely ignored by video games companies who want to sell their tired, unoriginal shit to as many people as possible, on as many platforms as possible, regardless of how old and bad they are.

You can’t be dumb enough to think I was talking about indies, surely?

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Here’s what I said that you felt the need to reply to:

You can’t be dumb enough to think I was talking about indies, surely?
A. You were the one began the reply chain, so fuck off with this "felt the need to reply to" bullshit.

B. At no moment whatsoever you said "Only AAA games count!"

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A. You were the one began the reply chain, so fuck off with this "felt the need to reply to" bullshit.

B. At no moment whatsoever you said "Only AAA games count!"

Nah mate. You leapt to contradict a point I was making about the AAA games industry, and now you’re mad that you didn’t read my post properly. You’re right I replied to you though, so apologies for that error.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Nah mate. You leapt to contradict a point I was making about the AAA games industry, and now you’re mad that you didn’t read my post properly.
See, I've always cared about games that push forward the medium in new and exciting ways that improve upon things like character AI, environmental interactivity, gameplay complexity and ingenuity... that kind of thing.
No requirements of being AAA. Just games.
All of which have been completely ignored by video games companies who want to sell their tired, unoriginal shit to as many people as possible, on as many platforms as possible, regardless of how old and bad they are.
Reference to bad examples. In fact, there exists companies being unoriginal and bland. Like every gen. All of them? No.
This is the worst games generation of all time, for the simple reason that rampant greed has eclipsed everything else, and nobody wants to do anything experimental, different or new, because it might not make hundreds of millions of dollars.
I gave you tons of examples that contradict this very statement, with games doing experimental, new, different things that don't aim towards making hundreds of millions of dollars.

I think its you who needs to read your own posts.

Last edited:
1998 = voodoo graphics cards, HL1, the first 3d consoles with vastly different hardware features, controllers trying to figure out analog sticks, e3 was like crack, etc etc
you would sneeze and miss something groundbreaking. it was a crazy, exciting, beautiful time.

today is nothing like it.
ps5 = ps4 with an ssd. ta-da. ps5 and xbox are basically the same hardware. remakes and safe sequels. boring ass showcases on youtube.

there're a bunch of good games today, dont get me wrong, but goddamn 1998 and that whole era was ELECTRIC and wrote the check that future gens would cash.

lockdown2222

Neo Member
For me, I rate it based on hype and excitement leading up to launch and then following go live, people talking about the game. Maybe over time we’ve become desensitized. Everything feels leveled and calculated with minimal surprises-the kinds of elements that generate the excitement and hype and drives conversations for months to come. I’ve been gaming since 1994 and I miss being wow’d.

I agree. At least based on AAA offerings. I feel like this is the case in almost every medium now. Movies, music, video games - the big guys are making mostly trash

Top Bottom