• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Throw your contenders for GOTY 2024

KàIRóS

Obviously there's a bunch of unannounced games this early in the year, so feel free to speculate a little on this one.

The 2 that are most likely to win it:

Dragon's Dogma 2
Senua's Saga Hellblade 2

The other 4:
FFVII: Rebirth
Nintendo game (probably Metroid Prime 4)
Methaphor ReFantazio
Silent Hill 2 Remake if it comes out

Honorable mentions: Avowed, Hades 2 and maybe Skull & Bones?

Last edited:
I think Rise of the Ronin will surprise a lot of people. It's a souls like open world game similar to Elden Ring but will be grounded in historical feudal Japan. Team Ninja has been working on it off and on since 2016 and it is their biggest project to date. It will also have difficulty levels, so along with being open world, hopefully casuals will give it a chance like they did with Elden Ring

Bkdk

This year could be very interesting and unpredictable, just base on current release, it seems to be a very slow year and it would be goty between ff7 rebirth and stellar blade, however crypto is once again in bull market so this could be the year that web 3 gaming absolutely explodes.

Most likely Dragon's Dogma 2 and FF7 Rebirth. And if Nintendo releases their new system possibly with whatever they have maybe?

Codeblew

I have really been enjoying Remnant 2 over the holidays, so I would at least give that game an honorable mention.

Dazraell

Out of games I've seen so far, I think Dragon's Dogma 2 and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has a strong chance to be among GOTY 2024 contenders

Edmund

Tekken 8 will win fighting game of the year and will be nominated as one of the games of the year

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The frontrunner:

Trails_through_Daybreak_artwork.jpg

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Eiyuden Chronicles
FF7 Rebirth
Hellblade 2
Dragons Dogma 2

Personally I hope Eiyuden Chronicles comes out on top, gets stellar reviews and sweeps the awards.

Granblue Fantasy Relink
Black Myth Wukong
Hades 2
Hollow Knight Silk Song
Haunted Chocolatier
EC 100 Heroes
DQ 3 HD-2D Remake
Dokev
FF7 Rebirth
Unicorn Overlord

Last edited:

ssringo

Dragon's Dogma 2 is the game to beat for me.

Scrolling through my Steam wishlist and wiki's list of 2024 games there's nothing else I can see being a threat unless Itsuno and Capcom completely shit the bed and it doesn't look like it from previews.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Depends. Does Nintendo release the Switch 2 with a big new title at the end of the year? If so, that.

It's way too early to say anything will win. Instead what big developers are due to release in 2024? Rockstar are missing it but they have 2025 wrapped up anyway. ND are highly unlikely to release anything new (TLOU2 Remaster would probably be good enough to win though).

HL3.exe

Don't know. Not a lot of stuff I look forward to. Maybe STALKER 2, but we'll see, they didn't show a lot a uncut gameplay which is a bit of a red flag. Probably not a GOTY, but who would've thought STALKER 1 is still this popular in the modding community. So 2 probably will have a long tail as well. (Those cutscenes though looked terrible and corny from a acting standpoint, in my opinion. Hope they don't focus to much on that stuff)

Vampire the masquerade Bloodlines 2? Not a GOTY either probably, but I'm looking forward to it as a Bloodline 1 fan.

That's it for me. Most things announcement (at least in the AAA space) are these epic, melodramatic, anime, Marvel type blockbuster games, which I've lost interest in as someone in his 30's. I think I'll try Dragon's Dogma 2 but I'm not really into it's tone. So don't know, looking for new stuff to be announced though.

Last edited:

winjer

It's only a DLC, but it will probably be better and have more content, than most games: Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree

Robb

Gold Member
Difficult question..

Maybe Hellblade 2? That’s a big maybe though, I still need to see way more of it. Metroid Prime 4 has potential if it releases I guess, but it has been soooo long since RETRO released a game and while I’m sure it’ll be fantastic I still doubt it’ll reach the heights of the original Metroid Prime.

Hopefully Nintendo will bring out a new 3D Mario alongside new hardware.

I’m also hoping for more great surprise announcements that release the same day, like Hi-Fi Rush and Metroid Prime: Remaster.

rofif

Banned
7 rebirth. No other.
Hellblade2 is already way overhyped. You realize what the first game was right? I loved the first game but it's really not for everyone. It's a niche game.

ungalo

If you're talking about the Game awards thing, DD2 won't be GOTY, it's too weird for journalists. Weird in its design, not weird like AW2.

So except if they try to act like posers (granted they do it more and more often to satisfy their audience) or if DD2 is not just a good sequel but a tremendous effort in every way (but i doubt that) it's not going to be the "official" GOTY.

FF7 Rebirth is the main contender right now.

There's so many yet to be announced games - especially western ones - so It's hard to say at the minute.

That being said, here's all the notable games that so far have a confirmed release date for 2024:

image.png

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
There's so many yet to be announced games - especially western ones - so It's hard to say at the minute.

These are all the notable games that so far have a confirmed release date for 2024:

image.png

Decent titles on that list but none of these make me think they will blow me away. 2024 looking pretty weak so far, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Rebirth sounds awesome with the world map replica. I wanted Silent Hill 2 in 2024. Best DLC will go towards Elden Ring.

Granblue Fantasy better be good. That game has looked good for a while now. I had Dragon’s Dogma back when it launched, so that looks good too. I wonder if they added more QoL features to it.

Sentenza

I hope to be surprised by a lot of stuff I don’t even know about yet, but currently I can’t think of much beating Dragon’s Dogma 2 among the already-announced games coming this year.

Also, crossing my fingers for Vampire Bloodlines 2 and the Gothic remake, but I’m not optimistic.

Sentenza

After countless hyped games turning out to be utter shite in the end people still do that?
We just had one of the strongest years in a while. A bunch of extremely solid releases back to back.

Tears of the Kingdom, BG3, Jagged Alliance 3, Spellforce CoE, Age of Wonders 4, Rogue Trader… Just to name a few I personally enjoyed a lot.

Some of you sometimes sound like you just like to bitch about the negatives without actually playing much.

Kurotri

Even though I sport a different game in my avatar, I know 100% in my heart that Metaphor Refantazio will be my goty easily. I always bet on Katsura Hashino.

Top Bottom