• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to buy a cellphone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaking

I'm going on a trip to Baltimore at the end of this week and my mom wants me to get a cellphone incase something happens like I get kidnapped or die or something. Looks like I finally have to take the purge and buy one of these abominations from hell. But if I'm buying one, I want one that looks nice. A decent plan would be good too. However, looking over all the choices I have, I don't know what to do. I see Verizon all over the place with their "In" plan. But then again Sprint has their PCS no guesswork plan. And I don't know what cellphone brands work with these plans. Do you need a certain phone to use certain plans, or can any phone work with any plan? I don't want something that looks like it came from the year 1999...but I don't need fancy camera taking features. Something that fits in my pocket and flips open is preferred. What's a good phone to get based on this criteria?

way more

B0000AGRYX.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
Price after rebate, -$150. at Amazon.

Phoenix

Get a deal from Amazon where you get paid to get your phone.Don't spend money on a phone unless you have a choice. Before the end of the quarter all of the cool phones will be out and the ones out there will be declared obsolete.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Otaking said:
I'm going on a trip to Baltimore at the end of this week and my mom wants me to get a cellphone incase something happens like I get kidnapped or die or something. Looks like I finally have to take the purge and buy one of these abominations from hell. But if I'm buying one, I want one that looks nice. A decent plan would be good too. However, looking over all the choices I have, I don't know what to do. I see Verizon all over the place with their "In" plan. But then again Sprint has their PCS no guesswork plan. And I don't know what cellphone brands work with these plans. Do you need a certain phone to use certain plans, or can any phone work with any plan? I don't want something that looks like it came from the year 1999...but I don't need fancy camera taking features. Something that fits in my pocket and flips open is preferred. What's a good phone to get based on this criteria?

Each carrier will have a selection of phones to choose from, right now taking one phone from one carrier to another is, generally, a pain in the ass that's not guaranteed to work. Verizon is going to be the most expensive, but their east coast coverage, especially in the northeastern-area, is rock solid. Sprint seems to be doing okay these days, too. I don't here quite as much bitching about them as I once did.

Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile are a roll of the dice. If you're going to be in generally urban areas, they'll probably be fine, but GSM service outside of major towns and cities is still kinda/sorta spotty. I'd give it another year or two before it starts to have the same amount of coverage as the technology that Sprint and Verizon use.

Another thing: If you're unsure of what to do, and this isn't something that should really be decided rashly, as contracts are contracts, start off with a pre-paid phone from Virgin or the larger carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom