• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Regardless the materials, a non-spherical shape for the pressure vessel is inherently a sub-optimal design for the job. By making it any other shape, you pretty much also make it weaker by default.

The deep sea is not a place for being sub-optimal.
Never said non-spherical shapes were the problem. Just watching butter fingers there snap that wax recording cylinder into a million pieces reminded me of what ultimately happened to that carbon fiber.

Shape was not the problem with the Titan sub. The list of problems with the sub is a small book but the catalyst was likely that carbon fiber hull.

Impotaku

8Xf0MEb.jpg

Mikado

Those parts are in way better shape than I would have thought.

I hope those poor bastards didn't suffer 🙏

Last edited:
Those parts are in way better shape than I would have thought.

I hope those poor bastards didn't suffer 🙏

Because its not what imploded. The pressure chamber in which the 5 men were housed is what's going to be fragmented or in a million pieces.

That titanium ring from the end of the cylinder is now distinctly oval-shaped, that thing got pulverized.

How can you tell its distinctly oval shaped in this footage?

Last edited:

I was joking before saying the reason they covered up parts of the debris was to hide blood from public view but this is absolutely astonishing that presumably recovered human remains

What. The. Fuck !!!

Last edited:

Gametrek

Banned
The Titanic was replace by the Olympic. AKA the sister ship. Even JP Morgan ( The one that help start the crippling Federal Reserve bank ) removed his belongings. Their are tons of logs, recordings ( journals ) related to the employees, clients, and management. Including photos of the insides of both ships

The "Touring" vessel had faults in testing.

Admittingly tests that should have been run was not done.

You got what you paid for. A visit to a grave site that only a robot could get close enough to. We are talking about what Nuclear-Subs are built for.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Could also be that pieces of their bodies got entangled in the debris soon after it imploded. Either way I really didn't expect any human remains to be recovered from the debris.
But if the implosion were at such a depth as to be instantsneous there shouldn't be remains right? They'd be goo in milliseconds wouldn't they?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

I was joking before saying the reason they covered up parts of the debris was to hide blood from public view but this is absolutely astonishing that presumably recovered human remains

What. The. Fuck !!!

Yeh this is fucked up.

While the assumption right now is "instantaneous implosion", if there are human remains amongst the wreckage then that theory might well go out of the window.

I have to say that the sub parts they've recovered look in much better condition than I expected them to, for instance a lot of the wiring is fully in-tact. Really unexpected twist and it will be interesting to see what they manage to find out.

Last edited:
But if the implosion were at such a depth as to be instantsneous there shouldn't be remains right? They'd be goo in milliseconds wouldn't they?
There's always going to be remains. They were not vaporized.

What is left might be pieces of human flesh stuck to the wreckage as it was flung free of the now obliterated hull.

Probably why the wreckage was covered when they lifted it off the ship ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ItsGreat

Looks like this video contains some of the final footage of the sub and a couple of the people that were on board:

Was these two getting the trip for free? Imagine having him chatting constant shit like a 10 year old for the whole trip.

Neff

How can you tell its distinctly oval shaped in this footage?

You can see as it twists back and forth that it's lost its symmetry. The other ring looks pretty good but this one's taken a beating. It's possible it could have ended up looking like that simply from hitting the bottom, but I'd say it's more likely that it was caused by sudden warping and shattering of the cylinder.

FdW3Pw.jpg

Human remains means no instantsneous death.

Nah, the sub clearly imploded. You will still get human remains in high-pressure accidents, even in the deep sea. There's probably all sorts of bits of gristly vertebrae and bone and whatnot lodged here and there among the debris.

Last edited:
Remains could mean bits of flesh/organs, blood, bone fragments, etc. I doubt there are body parts like limbs/torso/head. I don't know shit though so we'll need to wait and see what they found.

Eh, I'd rather risk a plane failing and crashing than a sub implosion. Maybe just me though.
The decision is between instant death (sub implosion) vs lifelong PTSD-causing chance of survival (surviving a plane crash by parachute/riding it out, or dying after knowing it's coming for some time). Tough choice. I still think I'd go plane.

Ownage

The decision is between instant death (sub implosion) vs lifelong PTSD-causing chance of survival (surviving a plane crash by parachute/riding it out, or dying after knowing it's coming for some time). Tough choice. I still think I'd go plane.
Sitting on my porch rocking chair watching a summer storm blow by sounds much more appealing than any of these.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Small planes NOW are that dangerous. One of those crashes damn near every week! Same with helicopters.
I co-piloted unlicensed for a few months before going for a PPL back in 2013. Small planes when well maintained, piloted by the experienced (preferably instrumentally trained) are really not that dangerous. The crashes seem frequent but can occur for a number of things like stall, runway overshoot, inadvertent VFR into IMC, oversighted maintenance or engine failure. However, go for hard training and you're trained on: spin-out recovery, stall correction/control and how to attempt a safe landing should engine failure occur. Most crashes with an experienced pilot are survivable too as training is vigorous and you have much more instrumental control, pre-flight checks and safety inspections pre-flight. Planes have more safety protocol in place than cars and crash far less. They're not high flyers either, so you're dealing with mostly breathable altitude which doesn't require cockpit pressurization such as with commercial (commercial being even safer than small private aircraft).

There's a whole lot less you can control with a sub should something go wrong. Even on the best submersibles (there aren't many out there...). That's why Cameron had the money to have a back-up sub on him with each Titanic dive just in case they became entangled or needed assistance; that'd be about their only hope. Then again, given everything we know about Titan...the thing wasn't even classified. So, I feel calling it a submersible is just a formality but that thing shouldn't have been dropped into a lake. It was destined to fail and piloted by someone who clearly knew/cared nothing about souls onboard. In Stockon's many rants against safety; you'll notice he leaned more on insurance of his business before human liabilities. That's the type of person I wouldn't even issue a driver's license too as they have a complete disregard for others and feel they're invincible.

At any rate, we're all going to die. Yet, if I had to choose my death; I'd go with a plane that I can control...than a submersible with an uncontrollable atmosphere around it and no safety protocol whatsoever.

BlackTron

This is quite a twist to the story. The mere existence of remains at all, even if we don't know their extent, combined with the knowledge that they became aware of a problem and began an emergency ascent, frankly raises all kinds of question marks as to the true timeline of all events and real degree of suffering involved that will likely never be answered with certainty. Maybe for the better...

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is quite a twist to the story. The mere existence of remains at all, even if we don't know their extent, combined with the knowledge that they became aware of a problem and began an emergency ascent, frankly raises all kinds of question marks as to the true timeline of all events and real degree of suffering involved that will likely never be answered with certainty. Maybe for the better...
I'm guessing "remains" means fragments of clothing and stuff like watches and teeth. It's not like everything gets atomized. I doubt there were intact bodies/skeletons or whatnot.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This popped up on my YT and decided to watch. The communication and line of events seem plausible, but 19 minutes seems like a long time between the first hull cracks and implosion.
Same. I'm not into speculation or unconfirmed data but my time, so I watched. From what I gather this is plausible. The big piece missing here are cited sources and I mean legit. This just seems to be floating around on the internet and anyone with some imagination could conjure up a transcript like this. You'd also have to consider that maybe the descent rate seems too fast because if this is a fake...they had know idea how to calculate the rate & were just making crap up. I'm with you that if an acoustic beacon warned them about cracking and an alarm went off; I can imagine an implosion happening possibly only seconds/milliseconds later. The poor mathematics of descent and the 19-minutes of panic mode just don't seem accurate. Once an actual transcript does surface...we'll know then, I guess. But I never buy into things like this that say 'leaked' when dealing with a disaster.

Mr1999

Gold Member
Couple of things stick out for me, they mention the name Carlos, which there's an electrical engineer who works/worked there. Still this could have been gotten the same way I got it. Another thing is the crackling sounds, I could have sworn James Cameron said they likely heard it, something along those lines. 50/50 at this point for me.

Top Bottom