• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU averaging 32 Million View across Platforms in the US. Most Watched title EVER on HBO Max in Europe and South America

Pelta88

32 Million views Per episode in the US? The Last of Us is literally moving markets.

Those that focused on Bella Ramsey's looks instead of her acting ability, reacting to this news like

c2c681b52e8e50ca613a6134f125bb3e.gif

Last edited:

XXL

Looking back at the show with a clear mind now, I don't think it was all that great of a show or ground breaking. It was just okay to be honest.
I agree. It's good, but not great. I could be biased, because I love the 1st game soooo much, I'm assuming it's a different expierence for casual viewers who went in blind.

Thaedolus

Google says it's $600k per episode. Sounds like they got him cheap honestly, probably had him on a multi-show contract when he was unknown and wanted a GOT part. Looks like GOT top actors were around $1.2 million per episode by the end so I'm sure his pay will increase for however many seasons he has left ...
Sure- but some people online were trying to stir the “how did Pedro get paid 6x Bella??” pot earlier.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Last of Us is literally moving markets.

Those that focused on Bella Ramsey's looks instead of her acting ability, reacting to this news like

c2c681b52e8e50ca613a6134f125bb3e.gif

Goes to show you that the internet literally has NO IDEA what they are talking about when it comes to casting for actors in TV shows and movies.

DarthPutin

The story is good and dismissing it was always nonsense. But it also shows how silly all these "zombie fatigue" conversations were. People love zombies and will watch shows and movies about them, as long as those are good.
I dislike zombies myself as enemies, btw, but facts are facts. At least TLOU's zombies are easier for me to suspend disbelief though, unlike dead rotting bodies having working digestive system for some reason....

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Makes me wonder if the success of the show is continuing to give legs to the games as a trailing benefit. I know they had a big push while the show was running.

Mokus

In Europe where? HBO Max is not widely available on the entire continent, so it could have been even better.

Pelta88

In Europe where? HBO Max is not widely available on the entire continent, so it could have been even better.

That's not how it works. THey license/sell the show to different services. In the UK, HBO Max shows are shown on SKY which is a cable service. The specific channel on that service is "Sky Atlantic."

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Bella Ramsey's acting ability is worse than her looks. Fight me.

It's everything else that is so good that makes up for Bella's singular facial expression.

Hugare

Huge fan of the game, but the show was just ok

And thats not because i'm a hardcore fan or anything. My mom and my sister that have never played the game were also lukewarm on it.

My mom cries over tv commercials sometimes. She didnt drop one tear watching the show (besides Bill's episode).

And my sister complained about Ellie/Joel's relationship developing too fast, which I agree with. It was a far cry from their relationship in the game.

HOTD was a much, much better HBO show, imo

Lasha

I would like to see the methodology for viewers. The notes in the earnings presentation imply that reruns on TV are additive which seems odd. HBO max viewership methodology is also nebulous. Impressive numbers nonetheless.

StereoVsn

Personally I don't get why this show is so beloved. Found it to be a bit boring especially toward 2nd half. I am not a good judge for TV though since I wasn't a fan even of GoT, lol.

Minsc

Gold Member
Episode 8 - "That's ok, I believe him" has got to be the best one-liner in a show I've seen in ages.

EDMIX

The deep lolz, I called this shit a mile away and even told people to relax on all those comparisons to game, the amount of people watching the show would surpass the amount who bought the game and soon, this will be known more for the show, then the game.

I don't even know why people kept acting like the show needed to be 1.1 as the game for it to succeed. My older sister loves this show and she had no idea it was based on a game, but shit MOST of the people I know talking about this show are not gamers, don't give a shit that it was a game and simply like it for what it is as a tv show. That second season is going to be breaking all dem records lol

ratburger

"Most Watched title EVER on HBO Max in Europe and South America"

Which isn't saying much, considering HBO Max launched on May 27, 2020 in the United States and only started expanding internationally the following summer.

Last edited:

Pelta88

"Most Watched title EVER on HBO Max in Europe and South America"

Which isn't saying much, considering the service launched on May 27, 2020 and only started expanding internationally the following summer.

Game of Thrones and House of Dragon speak otherwise.

Crayon

This thing with the movies and shows was so out of left field for me. Makes sense I guess, but the assumption is that game adaptations would be mostly failures. But apparently it can be done. If you edited god of war cutscenes into a movie it would be better than all this marvel and star wars shit people watch. I saw the first season of the witcher and I thought it was good (I watch very few shows, idk.).

I suppose game characters now are a bit like comic book characters. Or like graphic novel characters, in the case of tlou. More the watchmen than spandex-league. Movies and shows seem to be scraping at any ip that already is proven so it makes sense to turn to these game characters eventually.

geary

Congrats to all the media and twitter people who did the marketing free of charge. Business lesson from Sony.

RaduN

For once, I can actually agree with you Slime.

The show is functional, but it is as quality as the typical shlock you see with shows like Walking Dead.
Nah

TWD at its best, wipes the floor with anything TLOU, in any conceivable aspect. But maybe that's not fair, as TloU games copied TWD from the get go.

Top Bottom