• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants coming to consoles on 4.23.24

RAIDEN1

It'll take some doing in knocking off Shredders Revenge and Turtles in Time off their perch, I'd be surprised if this is even as good as Hyperstone Heist

TwiztidElf

Very uninspired trailer. The voice acting is either AI or very phoned in. Bad character designs also, but I guess that's not the games fault.
As a TMNT fan, I'm very disappointed.
Absolute amateur hour all around.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not my TMNT so not interested. I love the Cowabunga Collection and Shredder's Revenge and right now that's all I need.

CamHostage

Who asked for this?

...Kids 20 years younger than you, for one?

So they include "Arcade" in the title to make people think of the game we'd all rather play? They'll definitely snag some uninformed consumers with this.

The original game was just called TMNT (although the NES port was called "TMNT 2: The Arcade Game".) It came out in 1989, and although children generally don't have the same level of exposure to arcades as you or did when we were 30+ years younger, they're more likely to be familiar with this Raw Thrills game than the one from 35 years ago. GameMill would like your dollars if you happened to be interested in this product, but they generally have a different business focus over trying to sell to us old farts.

Not my TMNT so not interested. I love the Cowabunga Collection and Shredder's Revenge and right now that's all I need.

Can't blame you, Shredder's Revenge is rad, and Raw Thrills just makes quickie quarter-munchers which try to ape the golden age of arcades using budgets and talent pools very different from what the old masters had. (Well, budgets are probably much higher just from timing and also how old game producers were cheapo, but relative to other competitive game productions, Raw Thrills are small-scale and behind-the-times producers making games for the now-meager arcade market.) But Raw Thrills has carved out a place for itself in kind of neo-retro game productions, and this Turtles is one of their better works from what I've seen of their product line. Not a necessary game for action fans, but for Turtles collectors, it's nice to have this available in addition to better selections.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Can't blame you, Shredder's Revenge is rad, and Raw Thrills just makes quickie quarter-munchers which try to ape the golden age of arcades using budgets and talent pools very different from what the old masters had. (Well, budgets are probably much higher just from timing and also how old game producers were cheapo, but relative to other competitive game productions, Raw Thrills are small-scale and behind-the-times producers making games for the now-meager arcade market.) But Raw Thrills has carved out a place for itself in kind of neo-retro game productions, and this Turtles is one of their better works from what I've seen of their product line. Not a necessary game for action fans, but for Turtles collectors, it's nice to have this available in addition to better selections.
I bought Cruis'n Blast for Switch because I loved the Cruis'n games in the arcade. Raw Thrills made a pretty game but to me it lacked the soul of the arcade games. I'd be afraid that this would end up like that.

Futaleufu

Well, budgets are probably much higher just from timing and also how old game producers were cheapo, but relative to other competitive game productions, Raw Thrills are small-scale and behind-the-times producers making games for the now-meager arcade market
Cheap? Back in the day arcade developers had a team of engineers dedicated to design arcade hardware, which in the case of Konami was extremely bespoke and tailor made to each game released.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm sure I'll get it cause it's TMNT and will have online coop but WTF is up with this ugly as F crude animation style? Disgusting to present the turtles in that way.

edit- I only clicked through it the first time and went back and watched it all. Game looks like complete ass :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

CamHostage

Cheap? Back in the day arcade developers had a team of engineers dedicated to design arcade hardware, which in the case of Konami was extremely bespoke and tailor made to each game released.

Sure, I'm more talking talent. The 80s blockbuster movie Top Gun made enough money to keep everybody above the line in coke until it killed them, but the 80S blockbuster TMNT game creator is probably still renting somewhere in Osaka.

But also, that was the business back in those days; that's how arcade games got made. Spending big bucks on new hardware with novelty design and hotter graphics and louder cabinets drew more quarters. If execs had a better method that made more money (as eventually consoles would be,) they'd do it, but they found the ratio in arcades that worked at the time.

I have no clue the original budget on the Konami TMNT, but I feel safe betting that it was much less than Raw Thrills even with inflation, despite being state of the art at the time.

Hardensoul

So they include "Arcade" in the title to make people think of the game we'd all rather play? They'll definitely snag some uninformed consumers with this.
Yea, I thought it was going to be the 90s arcade version. Until I saw the video! 😂

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The 2012 series’s was so good
Agreed. I'm a TMNT fan from way back in the 80s. Loved the original cartoon, but I think the 2012 version of the show was the best screen adaptation / representation of the Turtles.

However, this arcade game looks pretty shit.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Reminds me of that shite TMNT Turtles in Time Re Shelled by Ubisoft or whatever the fuck it was

The Turtle design looks god awful

Just get Shredders Revenge and The Cowabunga Collection
re shelled was good this looks ok i well grab it for 15 or less.

Crew511A

It'll take some doing in knocking off Shredders Revenge and Turtles in Time off their perch, I'd be surprised if this is even as good as Hyperstone Heist
People thought HH was bad? I suppose Turtles in Time was better, but for those of us who had a Genesis and no SNES, it was great to have.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Splinterd Fate on Apple Arcade is a TMNT game in the Hades style. Probably not what you want to hear, just sayin. LOL!!! Forgive me if you meant strictly art style.
I didn't know about it. Sucks that it is a mobile-only game, but the art style does look cool 😄 Thanks for sharing it.

Barakov

Gold Member

36MnVRi.jpg

00_Zer0

That looks absolutely awful, yikes. What were they thinking?
All out cash grab by the license holder of TMNT. After Shredders Revenge expect the garbage status quo to ensue where bad licensed games far outnumber the good ones. Raw Thrills is overall a good Arcade developer with some fun games, but this looks atrocious.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Graphically this doesn't look like much... but I give it a slight pass since the game is 7 years old.

RAIDEN1

People thought HH was bad? I suppose Turtles in Time was better, but for those of us who had a Genesis and no SNES, it was great to have.
It was a MASSIVE missed opportunity not brining it to the Sega CD, it could have had red-book audio, animated cut-scenes, not to mention the scaling

Top Bottom