• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd McFarlane Says It's Time for a New Spawn Video Game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

McFarlane spoke to ComicBook.com about Spawn’s appearance in Mortal Kombat 11 as well as the creator’s future plans for the character. During the conversation, we pointed out how it’s been a while since the last Spawn game released and how many people may be introduced to the character for the first time on March 17th when Spawn is available in Mortal Kombat 11. We asked if it was time for a new game, and McFarlane said it was and that he’d like to see what modern video games could do with Spawn.

“The answer is yes,” McFarlane said. “It's been a long time, and I don't know that any of them ever did it right in terms of what's possible in my brain. And part of it was, as you know, technology advanced, right? I mean, especially … he's been around long enough that video games have come a long, long way just like special effects and movies.”

As for the timing of when a game like this might happen, McFarlane said “selfish Todd says we should do it yesterday.” But to make the most out of a Spawn game, he said it’d be more pragmatic to have a buzz around the Spawn name to capitalize on. Some of that’s already there with the Mortal Kombat 11 DLC, but McFarlane suggested the new Spawn movie that’s in the works would generate the kind of buzz he’d look for. He said he and whoever else worked on the game would need to reach beyond the typical Spawn fanbase, beyond the “hardcores.”

“And the easiest way to reach all of those people is to put stuff in front of them where they spend their days, and where they spend their days are looking at their laptops and their cell phones,” McFarlane said. “And also looking and going to movies and watching TV shows. So, you need to get in front of them and say, ‘Hey, do you want to go play this cool thing called the Spawn video game that is nothing like that you've seen in any of those other areas?’ But you now are aware of the name.”

I only played Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Video Game for the Super NES thus far. A game created by the makers of the excellent Skyblazer and Hook, It was released late in the Super NES' life, so didn't get the attention it deserved (like Konami's The Adventures of Batman & Robin and Viacom's Phantom 2040).

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Without getting into a Dreamcast Spawn game lovefest, I'd just like to say that it's amazing to me that the comic is STILL going.

Meesh

Love Todd and his work, it's what got me back into comics in the early 90s.
I'm ready for a Spawn game with McFarlane art book instruction manuals please!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Super hero games have improved and Spawn should certainly be in the discussion for a video game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Has to be rocksteady,

gY3RD0h.jpg

Gargus

Banned
I could see a spawn game like a soulslike/metroidvania kind of game. Guys who did lords of the fallen wouldn't be a bad choice. Although I did not enjoy the surge.

But really todds personal quality control kind of sucks. He stopped doing good comics and figures a long time ago. Last good thing he was tied to was the HBO spawn series a while back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom