• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is a better game because its exclusivity allowed more focus on quality, Todd Howard says

havoc00

Bethesda's big new game, Starfield, is exclusive on console to Xbox because Microsoft owns the studio and parent company ZeniMax. The fact that Starfield is exclusive on console to Xbox is good, director Todd Howard said in an interview, because it allowed the team to "focus" and make a better game.

"When you're making something exclusive then the more you can focus," he told the BBC. "You know this is the hardware or the thing people are playing on, so the ability to focus on that always yields a better product. You do want people to be able to access it of course. But being with Xbox means there is an ease of access for us."

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Fabieter

There is no need to justify anything. Iam sure most multiplatform games wouldn't be better games if they were exclusive tho.

LakeOf9

That's a horrible headline and terrible reporting by GameSpot.

This is what the original article on the BBC says:

Despite many of the world's most popular titles being cross-platform, Howard argues that exclusives like this still have a place in the industry: "When you're making something exclusive then the more you can focus.
"You know this is the hardware or the thing people are playing on, so the ability to focus on that always yields a better product. You do want people to be able to access it of course. But being with Xbox means there is an ease of access for us and I'm told we're expecting more people playing this launch than anything we've ever done before and that's despite the success of our previous games.
"I do also think people attach brands to certain games. When you think of Zelda you think of the Switch and I think there are times when that can be a real benefit."

He literally just said exclusives still have a place in the industry and shared his experiences being able to focus on just one system.

I cannot believe a site as big as GameSpot would go so low with click baiting.

Last edited:

midnightAI

He literally just said exclusives still have a place in the industry and shared his experiences being able to focus on just one system.

Ah, that makes much more sense, what is it with dumb reporters today spreading misinformation?

Lol chill. No more different what the director of ff16 comments was like being exclusive. If I remember right it was him. I mean they both not lying. It just easier. Less resources have to go into making sure it runs ok on another platform

Edit: well then. Gamespot bad reporting. Hell I guess throw there reviews out the window too. They bias 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

Because it's Gamespot. Just like ign, Kotaku and other sites, they thrive on divisive headlines.

Its perfect material for fanboys, who flock in easily.
You can see it from this post.

damidu

A Sony developer would say this and the boys would be in this thread saying how it makes the PlayStation a better console. Y'all are a weird bunch sometimes
difference being he is not focusing on one console,
he is focusing on thousand pc variations, on top of 2 console skus, one of them being a certified dev nightmare.

so its standard pr bullshit, feel free to lap it up.

hinch7

Should've focused more on Ai then.. because it feels like a downgrade in a lot of ways from previous games.

BouncyFrag

Oh boy, lol.

If it helped optimize the XSS version that I’m playing, I can’t complain as it’s solid. I would have preferred it on my ps5 tho. 🤷‍♂️

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Lol chill. No more different what the director of ff16 comments was like being exclusive. If I remember right it was him. I mean they both not lying. It just easier. Less resources have to go into making sure it runs ok on another platform

Edit: well then. Gamespot bad reporting. Hell I guess throw there reviews out the window too. They bias 🤣🤣🤣
the title is true but it is coming from an old interview

Todd Howard on Starfield exclusivity: focusing on two platforms will make for a better product​

Top Bottom