• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is a better game because its exclusivity allowed more focus on quality, Todd Howard says

pasterpl

This statement would make more sense if the game development started with “one” platform in mind. It’s quite obvious that it was being developed for ps5 as well. Unless he is referring to the 1 year delay that Bethesda was probably forced to by MS to polish the game so there is less Bethesda bugs at launch.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Ordinarily he would be right but they had 2 different console specs and PC to code for so while they may have made gains by not having to worry about a PS5 version it is not like he was running the same playbook as Insomniac/ND/Nintendo etc.
Yea you can say the same thing about Redfall too
Imagine if it was multipat....on Switch. :messenger_dizzy:

Kakax11

Banned
Lol chill. No more different what the director of ff16 comments was like being exclusive. If I remember right it was him. I mean they both not lying. It just easier. Less resources have to go into making sure it runs ok on another platform

Edit: well then. Gamespot bad reporting. Hell I guess throw there reviews out the window too. They bias 🤣🤣🤣

Well i bet Todd's game sold enough to cover the $400mil budget, FF16 director hmmmm i'm sure he's getting yelled at now by SE top executives

Liamario

Banned
1337288_orig.gif

Why can't they just shut up. Why!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This means in an alternate reality where PlayStation bought the exclusivity it could have been even better then, as it would have been targeting even less hardware variations.

twilo99

This means in an alternate reality where PlayStation bought the exclusivity it could have been even better then, as it would have been targeting even less hardware variations.

It would’ve targeted only the PS5, definitely no PC for at least a year or two.

Ozzie666

I would have loved to see the bugs if it was a multiplatform game based on what he is saying. I'll give them credit for Series S actually working, with the same issues as the Series X. As people say it's just another Bethesda game. Trying to explain to the masses why it's not on the top selling platform to over come their crap coding and the ancient engine. The spin is amazing to watch. I hope Indiana Jones doesn't disappoint.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Welp, the first time an NPC tried to go on a quest with me, she walked right into another and glitched around and stuttered through some objects so yeah, it's Bethesda quality alright. But if you're up for one of those games, it's a high quality one of those games.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
SE announced it flopped financially
SE announced it sold well in-line with their expectations, the game recoup it's lenghty dev cycle and every sale after July is pure profit. It will also have good legs when the crazy 2023 dust settles like all numbered FFs do.

On the topic, both Xbox and Bethesda really need to change their public speakers and tone down PR cycle a bit. Especially regarding Todd and Hines. Not everyone is as jolly and relatable as Sven Winke, and even if you'll exclude him from PR altogether, his game speak volumes for itself.

Why is this hard to believe? Many reviewers have said that this is the least buggy game Bethesda has put out. Microsoft probably wanted to make sure there were as few bugs as possible.

Aenima

Now imagine how good the game could have been if Sony had made the exclusivity deal for the game like the rumors say it was Sony intention. :messenger_smirking:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Bethesda development chief Todd Howard has discussed the benefits of Starfield being Xbox exclusive, namechecking the brand association Nintendo enjoys with its first party games.

Speaking to the BBC, Howard stressed that working to one console lets the development team “focus”, which in turns “yields a better product”.
"When you're making something exclusive then the more you can focus,” Howard said. "You know this is the hardware or the thing people are playing on, so the ability to focus on that always yields a better product.
"You do want people to be able to access it of course. But being with Xbox means there is an ease of access for us and I'm told we're expecting more people playing this launch than anything we've ever done before and that's despite the success of our previous games.”

Perhaps more interesting is Howard’s comments about the effect on brands from exclusives. "I do also think people attach brands to certain games. When you think of Zelda you think of the Switch and I think there are times when that can be a real benefit."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Some of you quality posters love posting every sentence.

You can practically put it together like some BTK killer note. One paragraph is 12 threads.

Get a grip.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
When I think of Xbox I think “wow this gamepass on my pc is a great value.”

When I think of Xbox as a console I think Jesus Christ what a worthless paper weight.

When I think of Starfield I think Todd’s vision has created my personal GOTY thus far.

Ozzie666

3 systems Todd, 3 systems. Yes they are all Windows based. But still. I personally associate the game with Steam and PC, since that is where the MODS will live.

Pelta88

If his game was meeting expectations, Playstation would not be on his mind. I never heard Jim, Herman, House, Laden, or Yoshida talk about XBOX during any of their first party releases.

Yoshida "Here's Ghost Of Tsushima. Also... Let... me tell you why it's not on the series S"

Something seems off...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Do you have any more great ideas for threads about Starfield?
A meta thread about threads about starfield.

Like an OT but instead we compile all the threads made for starfield into one where each is linked, AND we discuss all those threads and how good/bad they are.

Sort of like reaction content but forum style.

Frfr on God no cap .

Top Bottom