• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is a better game because its exclusivity allowed more focus on quality, Todd Howard says

It's not particularly well optimized for XSX or PC, and it's not like there is a wealth of accessibility features and customization. So not a super strong endorsement.

Also, I think Phil Spencer brandishing a gun at him from the corner of the room diluted the message a bit.

Cyberpunkd

Ah, that makes much more sense, what is it with dumb reporters today spreading misinformation?
Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Puscifer

In this case the game woudv'e been better as a PS5 exclusive. Fast/seamless loading, advanced haptics, etc.
Dawg

difference being he is not focusing on one console,
he is focusing on thousand pc variations, on top of 2 console skus, one of them being a certified dev nightmare.

so its standard pr bullshit, feel free to lap it up.

It's always PR bullshit and If this was about walky talky feels a thon photograph mode third person game y'all would be lapping this shit up

Last edited:
That's a horrible headline and terrible reporting by GameSpot.

This is what the original article on the BBC says:

He literally just said exclusives still have a place in the industry and shared his experiences being able to focus on just one system.

I cannot believe a site as big as GameSpot would go so low with click baiting.

havoc00 havoc00

Please give credit to the original article.

DJ12

Didn't square said the same thing about FFXVI being exclusive to Ps5? Why it is now a big deal?🤔
Maybe that because there wasn't an effort to make every topic on page 1 about the game when it was released.

Some dolt already bragged every new topic was about the game a week or so ago like it was a good thing.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You think it would have been 60fps if it wasn't exclusive?
No.. but if the bullshit he said was true, than making it exclusive should have given more reasons to optimize the game properly for the series X and give a perfomance mode with 60 fps.

But between this and "creative visions" I think Todd has found a good house and company in Ms and Phil spencer

Montauk

I just know Phil emailed Todd to spew this crap

I’ve just been reminded by this of the bottom-of-the-barrel last minute Starfield hype thread (no 1,235) - posted less than an hour before reviews were due - where we were shown a leaked internal email from Todd to the studio saying how amazing the game was and how smart and quite handsome and Phil Spencer was.

I feel quite nostalgic for that thread now.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Opening sales must not be where they expected. So he's taking the console war route to drum up excitement.
Because on consoles, the majority of sales would come from Playstation.

Total sales would probably be double of what it is now if there would be a PS5-version.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So, if it had just been made for Series X it would have been a 10/10, instead of an 8?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Isn't this game on PC too?

Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone can call anything with a simultaneous release on PC and console... exclusive. I mean... PC is kinda the most anti-exclusive platform there is.

Probably saying it because he's ass is owned by Microsoft. Not long ago he was ranting on emails on why cod would be on playstation and not this

Bkdk

Most polished in release, sure. However they also spent the most time at 8 years, fallout 4 is about 4 years dev time. Also the vanilla game is worse compared to their past few releases other than fallout 76. Sense of exploration is gone with one sided moral companions. Now that I finished most of the game I just wanna install skyrim and even fallout 4 with mods and not touch this again after all expansions and more mods are out. Still, I don't know if modders can fix that exploration feel that their games are used to great at. Perhaps someone can somehow add seamless landing and really enhance the procedural generation by 10x to make planets exploration fun.

It's same thing with ff16.
Developers like less platforms as it means less work for them.
Working on all platforms makes it hard to reach the deadline.
Cyberpunk 2077 suffered from that issue (Xbox one, PS4, Xbseries,PS5, and PC).
Well FF16 was an exclusive so it’s not the same thing. Xbox doesn’t have platform exclusives because they have 3 different things they program for everytime

feynoob

Banned
So, if it had just been made for Series X it would have been a 10/10, instead of an 8?
Nope.
With that engine, it will still be an 8.
If they have made the game on new engine, it would have been one of the best games (since no loading and no barrier limitations). And most importantly, we will have land vehicle.

feynoob

Banned
Well FF16 was an exclusive so it’s not the same thing. Xbox doesn’t have platform exclusives because they have 3 different things they program for everytime
Considering the scale of this game, all platforms would have been very challenging for them.
It will be Skyrim but with more bugs and unstable frame rate.

Even with these platforms, the game can't go above 30 fps and has a lot of bugs, specifically late end bugs which can break quest lines.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nope.
With that engine, it will still be an 8.
If they have made the game on new engine, it would have been one of the best games (since no loading and no barrier limitations). And most importantly, we will have land vehicle.

Pretty sure if they had been making the game for one platform, they could have squeezed much more out of it in terms of performance and game mechanics.

Because…

On My Way Link GIF by GIPHY Gaming

StereoVsn

On one hand he isn't wrong. On the other hand the game isn't exactly technically very competent...

I guess it would be even worse, so I guess he isn't wrong once again.

feynoob

Banned
The Switch is a potato.

Developing for one platform always means more can be squeezed out of it, regardless of engine. That’s why first party exclusives always are technically the best.
Consoles don't make the game, it's engine that does it.
Creation engine is an old dated engine. There is certain things that you can't do with that engine. Climbing a ladder was hard before they upgrade it.

Even if you make a game on switch, it will still be a potatoes.

Top Bottom