• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

You guys have no idea how hyped I am to play this game. Love Jpop. Love anime artstyle. Love the pure style that this game oozes, and I'm glad to have a Persona without the shite daily life stuff in it.

Can't waaaaiiiiiittttttt

Seems reviews are all over the place. Guess I'll wait for the eventual bargain sale .

Maybe it's due to the fact that they aren't in any order in the OP but I think the reviews are heavily leaning towards the positive at this point. Eighty-four percent metacritic.

Javier

Nintendo Inquirer - 7/10

http://nintendoinquirer.com/blog/2016/06/22/review-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE is a game with a history of surprises. The reveal of the initial partnership between Nintendo and Atlus was unexpected, as was the nature of what that collaboration would become. Most pleasantly surprising is that it still manages to work, and I’ve enjoyed playing the game and seeing all it has to offer Wii U owners. While I don’t think it reaches the heights its source materials do, it’s still an enjoyable RPG with a fantastic battle system, cast of characters and interface. Sadly, the narrative doesn’t reach these heights; and with a sparse overworld and some tedium in place, it doesn’t reach its full potential. My likes outweigh my dislikes though, and with the lack of RPGs on the Wii U, I can comfortably recommend it for anyone who enjoys JRPGs. Simply put: If those aren’t for you, then neither is this game. I do hope that people will play it so they can enjoy the strengths that I’ve come to appreciate so that this cast can potentially see a better encore performance.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Seems reviews are all over the place. Guess I'll wait for the eventual bargain sale .

I highly doubt Nintendo printed enough copies for that to ever happen, and as someone already replied with, we're talking about an 84 metacritic here....

Vena

Reception seemed to be mixed overall, but it looked like the one common element was the response to the game's scope. Some liked the smaller scale, while others railed against it.

Kotaku had an import review that tore into a lot of the common complaints aside from the scope: http://kotaku.com/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness-the-kotaku-imp-1774392290

Its a good read for those interested in the title if making comparisons, as are our import impressions threads, obviously.

Shin-chan

I'm actually very excited to get my copy now. I hope the localisation changes aren't too shit (but I know some are).

The art style is one of the big things I've loved about this game since reveal and my biggest concern has been the new additions not meshing with the original design properly.

Anyway, I'm excited to get started with such a colourful game.

Shun

are there social links in this?

No, there's a Topic system and a set of character specific side stories and quests that you can take which fulfill the same role, but is a lot more streamlined because there's no real hard time limit to accomplish them.

They unlock new scenes, costumes, skills etc.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Reviewing a lot better than I expected. I still can't stand the game's style so I won't ever touch it and I'm still super salty that it ended up being nothing like I was expecting, but it's cool to see something as niche as this get published over here.

I wonder if this will end up with the long term availability of an Atlus game or a Nintendo game.

I am still able to walk into stores in Toronto and find new PS2 copies of Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne sitting on the shelf after that last re-print they did.

This strikes me more as something that will be low in availability though.

My limited edition is arriving tomorrow yissss! Also, I'm glad that the reviews are so favorable. I saw the recent treehouse segment and it seems like there's so much you could do in terms of combat.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the upbeat story comments and good reviews put this back on my radar

i know some of the creepier young ppl stuff got cut from the game, but is the age appropriate fan service still in?

Shun

Dualshockers is blacklisted here I think but.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Review: Persona 4 Lite

I’m fairly surprised that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE has not been launched with more fanfare — while Nintendo may be skeptical about whether the game will find an audience in North America, the game is for the most part superb. A fascinating take on JRPGs, the crossover successfully merges two well-established franchises while creating something entirely new. And, at the end of the day, I’m looking forward more to a sequel of Tokyo Mirage than either of the franchises that make it up.

All in all, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is not only one of the best Wii U games I have played in years, but also one of the best JRPGs I put my hands on in a while. If you own a Wii U, Tokyo Mirage is a must-have in your library. Whether you are a die-hard Shin Megami Tensei or Persona fan, this game will scratch that itch. Despite some half-baked and unnecessary localization, the game is a unique spin on a tried-and-true formula, and one of the best JRPGs to ever grace a Nintendo console this decade.

the upbeat story comments and good reviews put this back on my radar

i know some of the creepier young ppl stuff got cut from the game, but is the age appropriate fan service still in?

The game always had age appropriate fan service and nothing creeper young, whatever that means. There are localization changes but that didn't seem to bother the reviewer's enjoyment. So I mean, you'll enjoy the game if you trust the reviews that have been posted.

Lucentto

Banned
Well I just bought this game because of the positive word. I wasn't going to get it because the subject matter doesn't mesh well with me. But if the game is that good, I can get over it. Console JRPGs are too rare, ones that are actually good are even rarer. Now I need to adjust my game budget this year...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My review for now is: I can't play it D=
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Edit: My 1/10 may have been a bit mean.

I don't think I've ever seen such a thoroughly invalid opinion.

Emu-Fred

Banned
I was going to get the game regardless. But with all the negativity towards its censorship, I had my doubt on whether it would be well received.

Glad I was wrong

Giolon

Do any of these reviews cover what all was changed/censored by Nintendo for the US release? I want to know how dumb they got. That wedding dress thing was already a pretty low benchmark.

The site I write for (GameSkinny) gave it a 9/10.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a great JRPG addition to the Wii U's library. It takes elements from both the Persona series and Fire Emblem series to make something new, and it is truly something worth experiencing. The game is beautiful, the plot is enjoyable for anime fans, and the battles are exciting and flashy enough to capture the attention of any fan of either series.

I would recommend at least borrowing or getting the game on sale for the presentation alone. The battles, overworld, and even the dungeons are easily some of the most visually impressive on the Wii U. The anime style, as well as the abundance of color, really helps this game's overworld pop out of the screen. This goes doubly for the battle scenes, and make this game easily one of of the most impressive games visually on the Wii U hardware.

As expected following the import impressions, it sounds like it's pretty great even if it's not what many people wanted from a FE/SMT crossover. I don't think I'll be able to play it anytime soon, but I'll probably pick it up in the event it becomes rare.

Jeffrey

Man atlus/nintendo must be happy that a lot of poorly reviewed games this week (mighty no 9, Umbrella, trials, mario and sonic).

Going to be curious how persona 5 reviews next year.

-shadow-

wait, there's audio/text details on front cover? lol

Late respose but for Nintendo it makes sense. In Europe they always have English audio(with Japan being used sometimes) and the sub is always, with few exceptions, in EFSGI. Since NOE has moved and fired a bunch of people a couple of games have actually completely dropped a bunch of languages: Devil's Third is only EF which was noted but doesn't state it on the cover, Maiden of Black Water is only EFG subbed but has Japanese audio extra and now this is only E with Japanese audio. It's rather new for them to do so.

Balb

A subtitled game with a jpop theme couldn't possibly get universal praise from the US media. These are great scores for this kind of game.

marrec

Banned
I hope this game is super successful so that Atlus/Nintendo censors more superfluous fanservice in games to drum the small.... small... small minority of gamers who actually care about these insignificant changes mad.

Vertti

Very nice scores considering the themes can be very off putting if you don't like j-pop/idol stuff. It just says me that the core gameplay is very strong.

Got my copy today but still weighting between should I start playing now and take a break when Zero Time Dilemma releases. Or just wait and finish ZTD first before starting at all. #firstworldproblems

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I hope this game is super successful so that Atlus/Nintendo censors more superfluous fanservice in games to drum the small.... small... small minority of gamers who actually care about these insignificant changes mad.

Oh, give me a break.... You shouldn't be playing JRPG's if a little fanservice bothers you, Nintendo can't always be there to protect you.

I've been positive about the game, but COME ON.

knkng

Looks pretty solid to me, I guess I'll be picking it up then...

...Oh, what's this? It's already downloaded onto my WiiU and ready to go for Friday! :p

Top Bottom