• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

Astral Dog

Serious question: Is anyone who was originally dissuaded by the premise now tempted by the game's apparent legitimate quality?
To me this game never looked bad as in, "this is going to be garbage" after every trailer released the threads were filled with that, just a weird, very weird mash of confusing concepts and presentation that turned people off, but still was a game developed for a long time with Atlus/Nintendo so it was guaranteed polish that games like Star Fox Zero never got.

...anyways, not that surprising the game turned out fine, after all.for the people that will give it a chance.

george_us

Serious question: Is anyone who was originally dissuaded by the premise now tempted by the game's apparent legitimate quality?
I wasn't going to because Star Ocean 5 is around the corner but I tempted. It's a little disappointing that the TMS apparently doesn't go that in depth with its subject matter though. That would have made it a definite buy for me.

muteki

Do any of these reviews cover what all was changed/censored by Nintendo for the US release? I want to know how dumb they got. That wedding dress thing was already a pretty low benchmark.
I doubt any of the early reviews are going to get into it, you would have to have a thorough understanding of the original release to really comment on it, and I doubt most places want to double the effort a review normally takes.

Impressions from here after people that imported have had enough time to play through it are probably as good as it is going to get.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

You do realize that most of that stuff is still in the game, right? Do you also realize that the tiny minority is people who actually demand cuts like yourself? The reality is that it had a very small effect on the game's content, but some people have been put off a bit by it and that's fine. I'm not going to engage with you anymore since "lol" is the extent of thought that goes into your posts, but give me a break. I don't really care too much about the stuff that was changed myself, but the reality of your position is a very lonely one. Nintendo probably wasn't comfortable with the content and wanted a guaranteed T/12+, that's all. It wasn't done for the 12 people who enjoy going to youtube comments and derive enjoyment from seeing other people complain.

I found the first trailer hilarious and pretty much ignored the game until the positive import impressions. After that, I was on board.

I was really surprised how vehemently people hated the game after that. I can understand being upset it's not what you want, but people treated the game being good as a literal impossibility.

bomblord1

Banned
Anyone got an opinion on this?

capture4zuge.png

"Love letter to SMT and Fire Emblem fans"

lt519

I'd really like to play it but the j-pop is just too much. I had a hard time with FFX-2 and that seems super tame in comparison.

cwistofu

How long is Best Buy's buy one, get one 20% off deal on video game cards going to?

Gonna buy digitally, I have some rewards money coming in soon. Can't find the deal's end date on the site.

Nyoro SF

Just a heads up though... there is still fanservice in the game. You guys aren't getting away that easily... :p

Enjoy Tsubasa jumping around in her bikini for a super move, your very open-chested manager, Kiria's visible underwear and Mamori asking you if she can call you onii-chan with very cute anime face included!

Any word on the length?

This is seriously a must buy for Persona fans. The wait just got alot better for Persona 5!

I have 35 hours and I'm on chapter 5. I would anticipate the full run with all side stories included to be around 50 hours.

rhandino

Banned
Anyone got an opinion on this?

capture4zuge.png

"Love letter to SMT and Fire Emblem fans"
That he is right, of course.

AqPk0Y1.gif

The game feels like a passion project that incorporate elements from both series to make something unique and special and I am legit surprised at how this project turned so much better than what I was expecting (I was expecting some kind of "worlds collide" run of the mill plot)

matmanx1

I am very excited to play this game and see what Atlus and Intelligent Systems have created with this collaboration. I probably won't start it for a few weeks while I work on finishing up Xenoblade Chronicles X but am very much looking forward to it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I have limited experience with Fire Emblem and I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game...how difficult would this be for a newbie?

Nyoro SF

I have limited experience with Fire Emblem and I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game...how difficult would this be for a newbie?

It's a standard RPG, you should have no trouble.
The game has no Fire Emblem combat elements outside the weapon triangle which is merely rock paper scissors.

The idea of Japanese idol culture and heavy presence of an upbeat j-pop vibe was a far cry from what I expected when the project was announced. While I don't hold a particularly strong interest in those themes, I don't at all oppose them either -- they've been present in other media that I've managed to hold immense interest in. It was just such a far cry from the imagined imagery and tone that I had built up that I couldn't help but be taken a bit off guard by it. Lucky for me, the radical departure from the expected tone and theme actually bolstered my interest in the game -- it kind of made me pay attention to how things were shaping up. Been enjoying seeing the vibrant visuals and tone in the marketing so far.

That said, I've still been back and forth about whether or not to open a pre-order. While I did take interest in seeing the game more and more as we worked toward release, I didn't feel confident enough to make a purchase decision.

Coincidentally, however, I had followed the beginning of the import impression thread here on GAF back in December/January, and decided to revisit it earlier this week to see if I felt like I wanted to buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Friday. I ended up placing my pre-order yesterday, and kind of glad to see today that the reviews are adding legitimacy to my purchase decision and re-affirming the positive import impressions from months ago! Can't wait!

Our copy turned up today. I'm watching the girlfriend play it. This game looks fantastic.

Tree house stream totally sold us on it last week. Good job they showed more than Zelda.

Only slight issue I've seen so far is that during battles there is a fair amount of spoken dialogue, but no subtitles.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Didn't everyone in Japan hate Star Ocean 5? #FE was getting GOTY nods.

GOTY competition for Wii U last year is around 3 games competing.

This year in Japan Twilight Princess HD will automatically get GOTY for Wii U. It's competition is Star Fox or Might No. 9 lol.

FluxWaveZ

Not being able to see a historical log of previous text in an ongoing dialog sucks. That should be a standard feature in modern (J)RPGs.

Legitimately surprised that TMS is scoring very high. I was expecting mostly 7's with maybe a couple of eights here and there.

Can't say the reviews will change my mind about getting the game though. I've long since lost interest in the game even before the localization changes came about.

OuterLimits

Damn. Wasn't really expecting these good scores. Time to visit Amazon I guess. Unlikely physical copies of this game will drop significantly in price anyway.

You need to have the right session attack skills equipped and session attacks and links are triggered by things like targeting enemy weaknesses, performing special performances, etc.

Session attacks can also be negated and cancelled if you miss, hit enemy resistances, etc.

Your entire party, not just the main 3, can do session attacks, it's just a matter of getting used to the rhythm of it.

It's like the Press Turn system, but unlike Press Turn system where you get a stats/crit bonus or an extra turn, the Session system has party follow up attacks that you link and work around. I personally find it more fun than Press Turn.

The budget would have to be big considering that they not only funded an HD RPG for the Wii U, but also had to fund 2 live stage concerts for the game, several different kinds of merchandise for the fans, a 18 track vocal soundtrack CD, and a variety of other events with their collaboration with avex.

Considering their comments and the fan reaction, the team behind the game and project would say that the investment was worth it. Nintendo on the other hand may think differently.

Is there a link to a story with this info in it? Interested to read what the team said and why they felt it was a success.

Bane

Here. I don't mind j-pop but It's not really something I seek out, and I've less interest in idol culture, but the reviews got me to order it a bit ago. I've never played a straight SMT before so I'm curious to see what it's like.

Natiko

Banned
Really glad this seems to have turned out well. I was looking forward to getting this and Star Ocean so close together, but then I read some pretty negative opinions of Star Ocean that has me hesitant for that one. Sounds like this should pick up the slack!

The budget would have to be big considering that they not only funded an HD RPG for the Wii U, but also had to fund 2 live stage concerts for the game, several different kinds of merchandise for the fans, a 18 track vocal soundtrack CD, and a variety of other events with their collaboration with avex.

This all, aside from the music on that soundtrack assuming it's in the game as well, would surely come out of the game's marketing budget, not it's production budget. No?

Not being able to see a historical log of previous text in an ongoing dialog sucks. That should be a standard feature in modern (J)RPGs.

Yeah I'm playing Ar Nosurge atm and not only does it have a log, but it also has an index that you can pull up anytime you see an unfamiliar word during a conversation for an explanation of it in it's in game lore and it's amazing. That along with a little box in the pause screen that always tells you what you need to do next in case you take an extended break from the game, makes me wish every JRPG had these QoL features.

My review for now is: I can't play it D=
I don't think there's a way to use headphones with this game since the gamepad doesn't let you listen to the game audio. There's also no way to play to play off tv.
Considereing it's a game about music, this is a pretty baffling design choice ( expect if I am wrong and there is a way but I didn't find it yet).
Since I don't have a Tv with sound, this game became kinda unplayable for me.

Edit: My 1/10 may have been a bit mean.

Why the hell doesn't it just send all audio to the headphone jack when something's plugged in? It should've happened at a system level, but okay fine it didn't. It happening on a per game level is such an oversight. This is such a no brainer quality of life feature. Guess I won't be playing this for a long ass while, thanks for the heads up.

Damn, that's pretty.

Top Bottom