• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Cruise is awesome

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, I know he's a bit nutty, but he's one of the greatest action stars who has ever lived. He does his own stunts, he never seems to age, and he just makes fun movies even if they aren't gonna win any Oscars most of the time. I actually think American Made is one of his best films of the last decade, it was a lot of fun. I'll see anything with Tom Cruise in it pretty much, because while I'll know going in it's not going to blow me away, I know I'll at least get my time's worth and at the very least be entertained through almost all of the movie.

When you step back and look at the list of good movie he's made, it's quite massive. Just wanted to give some respect to one of the greatest action stars cinema has ever seen, and I hope the guy just keeps on working.

Anyone else still a fan of the guy?

Ka-Kui

I'm a fan. The guy gets a lot of unnecessary flack, but he always puts in a solid performance and I usually find his movies are entertaining.

TC is the benchmark for action movies.

I wouldn’t say he doesn’t age though. It’s finally catching up with him and he is starting to look a bit weird from the Botox or whatever he is doing.

Snoopycat

Banned
My biggest problem with Tom Cruise is he can really act but he rarely does. Rain Man, Born on the 4th, Magnolia, Eyes wide shut. Those are great films. It's a shame he's spent most of his career making popcorn movies.

DeSo

Banned
My biggest problem with Tom Cruise is he can really act but he rarely does. Rain Man, Born on the 4th, Magnolia, Eyes wide shut. Those are great films. It's a shame he's spent most of his career making popcorn movies.
True but if those popcorn movies are actually good who cares?

Mohonky

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite Cruise flicks.
Yeh that film is awesome.

Tom Cruise always has this ability to just draw attention to himself no matter what he is in or who he is in it with. He just has presence.

I mean he seems like he went off the deep end when they scientology stuff started up but it certainly hasnt effected his acting.

llien

Definitely not Joaquin Phoenix or Dustin Hoffman levels favorite, but still a favorite actor.

Scientology stuff is weird to hear about, but his private life doesn't bother me the slightest.

highrider

Banned
He’s a leading man and a character actor, and a gifted physical performer. I’m 50 and it’s nice to see guys aging well, but I think the ageless meme about Cruise and Keanu is sort of overblown. There’s a lot of people in my age group that look great. From everything I hear about Cruise he’s like that guy that knows the first name of the lowest dude on the crew and buys him lunch. Probably the least pretentious big movie star.

Geki-D

Banned
Creepy unbearable guy. Good actor. But he wastes his talents playing in lame action movies where he pretty much plays the same character and his apparent demand that his love interest be way younger than he is is disturbing.

SiteSeer

always been a fan. the only negative on him is the scientology bs. otherwise a solid actor and human being.

KonradLaw

Yeah. Cruise rocks. Great actor, great action star and insane on-screen charisma. Pretty much the last movie star alive.

Kadayi

Banned
Lotta time for like Cruise. Doesn't matter what he's doing he's always committed. He never phones it in or just turns up for a paycheck (unlike some actors). Couldn't give a stuff about what he does outside of work, as long as everyone involved is consenting tbh.

I like him to, way to little love for Collateral in here though. One of my all time favorite movies and be plays a badass villan!

He's a good actor and I like him for the most part.

The problem though with the Scientology thing is that it's not just a weird belief system, since obviously Cruise is free to believe whatever he wants, but that as an organization it has hurt people.

Now Cruise himself is not responsible for that but as a member he gives it clout and is also willing to turn a blind eye to these stories which are increasingly public, so I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to support him, but at the same time since these things are not personally the doing of Tom Cruise himself I don't think it's a big deal to overlook it.

highrider

Banned
Creepy unbearable guy. Good actor. But he wastes his talents playing in lame action movies where he pretty much plays the same character and his apparent demand that his love interest be way younger than he is is disturbing.

Yeah I’m sure it’s out of the realm of possibility he could pull a younger woman. Middle aged men that are dumpy do that, he looks great. Why is that even disturbing? Most of his female leads are probably in their 30s.

I love him. I saw a skit he did on Conan to promote American Made, and even that was captivating. I used to have a top gun poster in my room in the 80s with him and that other guy(rip)

Fbh

Yep, he is great.

I also think that he is pretty good at choosing his projects. Not that he is always in good movies (...cough...the Mummy) but most of his recent stuff has been pretty good.
Where James Bond or Die Hard turned into shit over the years (at least IMO), Mission Impossible has remained enjoyable.
Edge of Tomorrow could be seen as risky (big budget american adaptation of a japanese book) but it was awesome.
Just saw American made the other day which was really fun
Etc

black_13

Banned
Big fan of him. He can be a crazy scientologist but he really picks good movies unlike most other actors. I've yet to see a Cruize movie that was bad. At the very worst they are ok.

John Day

Who else didn't realise he's that guy in Tropic Thunder?

I mean, i’ve always liked him since Days of Thunder and all, but that movie... man he showed some damn veritas in that character hahaha never seen him curse that much. So unexpected it was amazing and fun.

Mau5

Big fan of him. He can be a crazy scientologist but he really picks good movies unlike most other actors. I've yet to see a Cruize movie that was bad. At the very worst they are ok.

This video still weirds me out the way he salutes LRH idk why. But I agree still a big fan of his movies.

Grinchy

Banned
Cruise is definitely a nutcase. Maybe moreso than most actors, but let's be real - pretty much all actors are nutcases. The most annoying are the ones who think that they are a messenger for the human race and they go all fake activist, high on their own fart fumes.

LordPezix

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite Cruise flicks.

Me too!

I respect the shit out of Cruise, maybe I am wrong but I don't think he has ever abandoned a character for sequels?

Love that he does is own stunts and I also really like that he can play in serious roles, action roles, and funny roles. If I was an actor I'd probably use Tom Cruise, Daniel Day Lewis, and Jack Nicholson as my mentors/Heros.

jadedm17

Fan of his work, absolutely, but the guy is several levels of crazy.

I'll check out American Made; My personal love of his work didn't start until only a few years ago watching the Mission Impossible series. After that I've become hooked and see each one several times : Day one theatre, day one blu ray to name a few. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are two of my favorite action movies of the last ten years. I do have a lot of respect for his dedication.

This is where I started to really love his work :

flacopol

Yes, but after saw this.....

scijentolo%C5%A1ka-crkva.jpg

and I looking to you too travolta..

Cleared_Hot

I also love his movies. It's too bad he doesn't tackle Oscar worthy roles like he used to. But he was GREAT in American Made

Makariel

He's a good actor and I like a number of the movies he's in (Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite movies of recent years), but he's a total nutjob. I guess you have to have some sort of strange brain chemistry in order to think strapping yourself onto the outside of a plane for an action movie is a good idea?

It's Jeff

Banned
You know what? I just watched Eyes Wide Shut because of this thread. In hindsight, the premise of the movie is uniquely stupid - where Tom Cruise goes on a covert sexual discovery operation because his wife revealed an erotic fantasy while high as balls.

Tom Cruise played the role so well that I actually believed he was at a masked, secret Illuminati orgy that you get into with the same password they give the hired help. It's unreal how convincing he is.

Top Bottom