• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andor and House of Cards writer to write Dawn of the Jedi with James Mangold

ManaByte

Dawn of the Jedi is not Willimon’s first time in hyperspace. The scribe worked on season one of Andor, the acclaimed and Emmy-nominated Star Wars series focused on the character played by Diego Luna. Willimon wrote three episodes, including the prison breakout installment titled “One Way Out.” The episode earned Willimon an Emmy nomination for outstanding writing for a drama series and featured the heartbreaking line, “I can’t swim,” uttered by Andy Serkis.

The writer is known for his dramatic prowess and his work features political undertones and deals with themes of power. House of Cards was set in the halls of Washington, D.C., and was one of the most acclaimed series of the mid-2010s, helping put Netflix on the map as a destination for original television. He also co-wrote the George Clooney-Ryan Gosling political thriller The Ides of March and created Hulu’s space drama The First.

Movie is set 25,000 years in the past. Mangold will make it when he wraps filming the Bob Dylan biopic he’s filming right now.

Bridges

Eh, is an origin story of the force really a good Idea? I feel like every time Star Wars tries to explain its concepts they end up being stupid as fuck (saying this as someone who has found enjoyment in all three trilogies).

Keep the mystique and tell a new story.

ManaByte

Eh, is an origin story of the force really a good Idea? I feel like every time Star Wars tries to explain its concepts they end up being stupid as fuck (saying this as someone who has found enjoyment in all three trilogies).

Think LOTR with lightsabers.
1170837.jpg

Ah should've figured this was based on some existing lore.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only recent TV/movie lore that exists and isn’t connected to the original trilogy might just be Star Wars: Visions.

Aside from that though, I am glad to see these recent trailers and announcements of Disney finally branching out and unshackling themselves from the Skywalkers.

FunkMiller

Disney does not have the creative talent, skill or guts to do this. It‘s too risky for them. They survive on remakes, reboots, sequels, prequels and ’reimaginings’ because everyone who works there now is an accountant or an executive. The people with talent all left a long time ago.

Any hope for this project will be dashed as they strangle the creativity out of it to please the shareholders.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well the thing about Andor is that to fight evil overwhelming regimes you cannot be a good guy. You need to become a ruthless murderer. That's what I loved about the show. They depicted what a true freedom fighter looked like. He'll shoot you in the fucking face if you're a nazi no question.

Just go back and take a look at those who fought the nazis. They got vicious because they had to.

Thaedolus

Star Wars is like an abusive ex to me at this point…every time I think I’m done, they tease me back into the room then slam the door and they got a strap on all ready to go and tell me to bend over

ManaByte

Well the thing about Andor is that to fight evil overwhelming regimes you cannot be a good guy. You need to become a ruthless murderer. That's what I loved about the show. They depicted what a true freedom fighter looked like. He'll shoot you in the fucking face if you're a nazi no question.

Just go back and take a look at those who fought the nazis. They got vicious because they had to.

This guy created House of Cards and wrote the prison arc of Andor, which most consider to be three of the best episodes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only recent TV/movie lore that exists and isn’t connected to the original trilogy might just be Star Wars: Visions.

Aside from that though, I am glad to see these recent trailers and announcements of Disney finally branching out and unshackling themselves from the Skywalkers.
Oh, there will be some chick named Skywalker in it, 10000%

Or worse, she manifests a force jump and some doofus says "She walks....across the sky!"

I don’t really care who they get to write and direct, as long as certain people at the top are still calling the shots I don’t have any hope for future releases.

Aaaaaaahhhh!!!! NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

I cannot fucking stand seeing her in movies and shows, which all seem to be by Disney.

Nothing personal against the actress herself, fwiw but you really had to go there didn't you? Lol.

I swear that she must have been the inspiration for that fucking new Fable character they showed off.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
£10 says the Dawn of the Jedi lead character will be a female ancestor of Ray Skywalker(LOL), called Dawn Skywalker.

And it will be shit.

Book it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Andor is the only good show out of the three 😜
Agreed.

I only tuned into that show because they filmed the bit when he's at the beach side planet, round the corner from my house. Ended up really enjoying the show.

Was funny seeing stormtrooper's with bags of shopping, eating Gregs pasties walking past the house lol.

a54ccK7.jpg

I sit on these steps with the dogs regularly.

nZZ9Kid.jpg

Real life not so exotic lol.
IR4ihsO.png

Last edited:
Agreed.

I only tuned into that show because they filmed the bit when he's at the beach side planet, is round the corner from my house. Ended up really enjoying the show.

Was funny seeing stormtrooper's with bags of shopping, eating Gregs pasties walking past the house lol.

a54ccK7.jpg

I sit on these steps with the dogs regularly.

nZZ9Kid.jpg

Real life not so exotic lol.
IR4ihsO.png

That's awesome

I wish it was Tony Gilroy that was the head of Star Wars so we can get more shows/movies that are quality like Andor

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I've been a full blown hater for most of Disney's Star Wars output... but Andor was fuckin awesome.

Pretty sure this guy specifically wrote Luthen's badass monologue in Andor as well.

Cautiously optimistic

Filoni is the Chief Creative Officer now. He’s running Star Wars.
As long as KK is still president of Lucasfilm then he doesn’t have that “Unlimited Power!!” yet. Unfortunately, Ahsoka and later Mandalorian seasons didn’t pan out under his watch sooo yeah…Best of luck to him though.

Top Bottom