• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Around 40% of Toys for Bob (Crash and Spyro) dev team was laid off

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Phil senpai... Why are you doing this?

What was the point in buying acti blizz if you're gonna cut a large portion of studios like this?

I wonder how many projects get delayed because of these layoffs and how bad staff morale must be knowing there might be more rounds of layoffs.

Phil is doing what he’s always done: makes decisions that increase stock value, pleases shareholders, and increases profit margins.

The fact so many people got suckered into thinking he gave two fucking shits about games and gamers is indicative of how dumb a lot of the gaming community is.

That dumbness is why we now have an industry full of greed injected GaaS games, broken products on release, people out of jobs, and hundreds of extremely rich video game executives.

Vezgvwe.jpg

Last edited:

Stooky

i’ve been saying this deal was trash since microsoft starting talking about the acquisition. most of these studios we’ll be formally known as. they just won’t be the same. cutting almost 40% of a studio could mean that studio is gone. the remaining devs are there for tech support or to fulfill contract obligations.

Jesus Christ....Phil Spencer is such a CON MAN. Is there anything that comes out of his mouth that isn't a lie?

Just read the last sentence of this:

zzjaffvyvwc81.jpg

Phil Spencer is absolutely the worst executive to EVER take control over Xbox. Bar none. Full stop. Matrick doesn't even come close to the damage Phil has done over the years.

And of course, the regulators don't give one fuck about the damage they have now done thanks to their acquisition, misleading the public into thinking it's a good thing for the employees and industry. Microsoft is a company that deserves their lack of success and until they change their attitude/strategy, deserves to continue becoming less relevant in gaming.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
MS organization is much larger and more bloated than the completion, but Sony axed Pixelopus last year (a very small studio), 20 employees at Media Molecule and the recent Insomniac hack suggested layoffs and a studio closure being imminent.

Companies like Nintendo & Valve run a tight ship, so I don't expect much from them.
Sony axed Pixelopus because that team was inefficient and not producing anything.

They released Concrete Genie in 2019. Then Sony put them on a bigger project with Sony Animations. They couldn't produce anything of note even after 3 years. So, the project was canceled, and the team was fired. Not because of financial issues, but because of their inability to produce the work Sony needed. Media Molecule has been useless for years, too. It'd be wise to shut down that studio too if they fail to produce anything and use that money to fund another, more proficient team.

Elsewhere, PlayStation Studios has grown at a tremendous pace, so they have hired like 10x more people in PlayStation Studios than they have fired.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This definitely hurts. I actually hoped that MS would see they're better suited for making new platformers (which Game Pass seems to be lacking) instead of being the 243289th studio to help on Call of Duty games.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Jesus Christ....Phil Spencer is such a CON MAN. Is there anything that comes out of his mouth that isn't a lie?

Just read the last sentence of this:

zzjaffvyvwc81.jpg

Phil Spencer is absolutely the worst executive to EVER take control over Xbox. Bar none. Full stop. Matrick doesn't even come close to the damage Phil has done over the years.

And of course, the regulators don't give one fuck about the damage they have now done thanks to their acquisition, misleading the public into thinking it's a good thing for the employees and industry. Microsoft is a company that deserves their lack of success and until they change their attitude/strategy, deserves to continue becoming less relevant in gaming.
Well, those laid-off Toy for Bob developers will now be working on a variety of franchises, alright. Just at different studios and companies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This definitely hurts. I actually hoped that MS would see they're better suited for making new platformers (which Game Pass seems to be lacking) instead of being the 243289th studio to help on Call of Duty games.
This could actually have been a team making excellent and critically acclaimed games for Microsoft.

Xbox fails at AAA but makes very good AA games. Toy for Bob would have been a perfect fit for them, just like Moon Studios would have been.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ah yes, this consolidation was going to allow ABK to bring smaller games “for GamePass” to market.

This sucks and the cost cutting seemingly out of nowhere got to be to meet some random financial target set by MS corporate finance.
Aside from almost fully deluded lunatics, most were astroturfing or console warring and pretending not to notice that… yes, MS consolidating the industry would result in something great for developers and gamers… mmmh mmmh…

I wonder if that useless chick from Blizzard got fired, the one who did one of those "day in the life of employee" videos where all she did was sip various coffees throughout the day.

nkarafo

Ι'm going to assume a lot of these studios are now realizing how all the diversity hires they made the last 5 years or so are basically burning money.

At least i hope that's the case. Keep the people who are actually good for the job and fire the useless activists and gender studies graduates.

mejin

They were all furious with Sony for trying to stop the acquisition and happy when It was approved. Why they are shocked now? Get rekt lol

Tams

I only have one example from Nintendo in terms of a tight ship. So take it as you want as overarching truthful or a misleading one off.

But my buddy who I worked with for years jumped ship to work at Nintendo Canada during the Wii years. So were talking great sales. Our experiences coming from big companies are floors of people with lots of different departments and roles.

He quit Nintendo. He said it was a shit show. Wii is a smash hit and at his role he had to do: sales, analysis, category analysis, admin work etc.... A lot of that shit is spliced out into different roles at big companies. At Nintendo, he's like a handful of us are fucking one man shows who have to do everything. Since I've had a finance kind of role for almost my entire career, I'd ask him who does my role there as I'd help him with finance stuff when we worked together. He's like.... I do all that myself too.

Ad he also said Nintendo Japan called the shots for everything. There was like zero autonomy.

Sounds like a salesman actually having to do fucking work for a change.

It happens in most small businesses. Many of the more stable big businesses keep some of that small business ethos, especially regarding having fewer people with non jobs.

That's not to say traditional Japanese corporate culture isn't fucked and Vogan-like.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

DaGwaphics

I had hoped they could get back to games and not just being a support studio, I guess it wasn't in the cards.

I thought they did good work on bringing the old games to a newer audience.

There were earlier rumored layoffs at Toys for Bob that Activision denied, but I swear I saw some people on Twitter confirm they'd been let go.

Anyways, if I'm in their leadership team, I'm reaching out to Sony and Nintendo to see if there is any interest in sponsoring a new studio.

Sony could absolutely use a studio like this to take over Ratchet and Clank, bring back Jak and Daxter, and even Sly Cooper. These IP aren't worth as much today, but with transmedia, you never know, how big they could get. You look at Skylanders alone and it tells you what potential you have with this stuff.

We are entering a recession. The writing has been on the wall for some time.

I get that people really want to parrot talking heads on this, but it simply isn't true.

People have been fearmongering a recession in order to get people to spend less in hopes to reduce inflation, which has lead to a drag on the economy, but the idea that this promised recession is just around the corner simply isn't true.

The economy grew by 3.3% gdp in Q4 '23, the economy continues to add non-farm jobs, adding 216K jobs in December with unemployment staying at 3.7%

Some sectors of the economy are up and some are down.

Gaming in particular is still up, they're just "right-sizing" based on increased development costs. They're firing people left and right only to try to shift to contract work to hire these people back on for less money. As they hire these people as contractors they will do more layoffs, rinse and repeat until they have the margins they want.

If you hire a game developer at post-inflation rate of 150K a year and realize that per personnel rate is going to make any unsuccessful game destroy your bottom line, you fire that developer, and hire another developer as a contractor for 90K. You then fire another 150K developer once the 90K developer is up to speed, and you continue that until your payroll is where you want it to be. You then convert some of these contractors to full-time.

The problem is companies that do this in excess are destroying studio culture and it's why they'll struggle mightily to maintain and build successful franchises.

Sometimes layoffs are the right thing for a studio. It can save a studio and prevent a studio from being shuttered, but in most cases, it is an example of poor management and leadership misreading the tea leaves and projects gone off the rails. Sometimes it is employees getting too comfortable.

The big difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Microsoft does layoffs just to do layoffs and protect their bottom line regardless of performance. Sony's layoffs almost always have to do with poor performance or cancelled projects where studios simply can't keep themselves in the green. Sony generally gives studios a multitude of chances too.

You can see right now on linkedin and individual playstation studios sites that there is generally a hiring freeze for MOST but not all PlayStation Studios. Some are actually still hiring. Even Bungie has 15 roles open, whether these are backfill are not is certainly up for investigation, but my point is that you should probably get rid of you bottom 5-10% performing employees on a yearly basis anyways. If layoffs are based on poor performance of the company, teams and individuals should be looked at. Across-the-board cuts just to meet future profit margins though... seem potentially short-sighted.

RAIDEN1

Are we heading for another video game crash circa 1983? Or is there enough money floating about amongst the likes of Sony/Activision/Blizzard/Microsoft/Nintendo to keep everything afloat?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Are we heading for another video game crash circa 1983? Or is there enough money floating about amongst the likes of Sony/Activision/Blizzard/Microsoft/Nintendo to keep everything afloat?
If it gets this bad elsewhere, sure, we could ask that question. As it stands, this is an Xbox issue, not a gaming one.

Last edited:
If it gets this bad elsewhere, sure, we could ask that question. As it stands, this is an Xbox issue, not a gaming one.

Exactly. I don't see anyone else crumbling. It's just xbox. Can't sell hardware. Can't sell software. Subscriptions gone flat. They've fucked up in every metric possible. Apart from spending of course and what do they even have to show for it?

7b on Bethesda and no impact at all. 69b on Activision and for what? They don't even have full control of call of duty. By the time they do, xbox would be long dead and forgotten. Absolute shitshow the way Microsoft have managed xbox. They have no idea how to run a gaming division. Apparently nadella wanted to shut it down and he should have done. Dumbass Phil spencer thought he could turn things around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom