• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Microsoft was previously weighing bringing Gears, Flight Sim, and the next Doom to rival platforms. Final decision has not made yet

Oh No Fire GIF
Cook little froggies, cook

Fecking dying here 💀💀💀

Sephimoth

"I understand [imagined] that Microsoft has also previously been weighing up the idea of bringing Gears of War, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and even the next Doom game to rival platforms"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only impetus NOT to port more and more titles would be if the competitive balance between Xbox and its rivals started to tilt in its favour.

Which, realistically, isn't likely to happen. In fact it seems way more plausible to assume that Xbox is going to slide further and further behind, because - unless I'm missing something really impactful - they are out of options.

Any Xbox fan who wants to chime in on this, I'd love to hear why I'm misreading the situation.

Luigi Mario

oh god this will now continue for the rest of the generation. And Spencer couldn't even stop the next rumours for like 5 minutes, jesus.
Ironically enough, this is what a lot of their faithful feared would happen this week.
Phil Spencer not being clear with his messaging and every game announcement now coming with questions surrounding its exclusivity.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They haven't ruled out putting Indiana Jones on other consoles. Phil admitted that you can't rule out any game going to other consoles. It's just a matter of time before Xbox puts their bigger games on other consoles. They'll make far more money that way than actually making a new expensive console and playing catch up with Sony and Nintendo.

…but you just watched a podcast where they just confirmed they’re making a next generation console, and talked up new (presumably intermediate) hardware reveals for later this year 😀

TheHTIC

Neo Member
Sounds to me that they're porting 4 games that basically flopped from what I gather. Their bigger games will stay where they are unless something catastrophic happens within xbox. Everything else seems like people's hopes not being confirmed and a bunch of mental gymnastics to read more into it than needed. Overall most of these discussions sounds exactly like rumors based on wrestling. Most of them made up and then when the predictions(sources) are wrong or partially incorrect then you have to save face by basically starting more rumors.

Hunnybun

Four are coming definitely. He didn't say they were the only ones coming. Phil uses a very slippery way of expression. You need to close attention to what he says.

He should've been a politician. Basically with him unless he explicitly denies something, you can guarantee it'll happen.

No decisions are going to be made based on how fucking HiFi Rush sells on Playstation. This is just the first phase. If there is still a decision over whether to bring everything, it'll be on something much more significant than how these 4 games sell. More likely, the decision's already been made and it's just a matter of trying to minimise the bad PR.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sounds to me that they're porting 4 games that basically flopped from what I gather. Their bigger games will stay where they are unless something catastrophic happens within xbox. Everything else seems like people's hopes not being confirmed and a bunch of mental gymnastics to read more into it than needed. Overall most of these discussions sounds exactly like rumors based on wrestling. Most of them made up and then when the predictions(sources) are wrong or partially incorrect then you have to save face by basically starting more rumors.
Considering this, other games might be under consideration. Now whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but I highly doubt these four games are it.

Last edited:
What the fuck does this even mean. I'm so happy I don't subscribe to the fanboy culture. I for one would be a much bigger fan of MS if they contributed even more to the ultimate demise of exclusive games and systems.

I'm already seeing many xbox fanboys saying starfield and indiana Jones will never come to PS5 or switch. Those same fanboys will have another meltdown just like they have been over the last month. Microsoft already know there's more coming but they chose not to reveal that information. Remember I'm talking about the hardcore fans here. Majority of the audience isn't even aware of this shit at all. Microsoft know who they're talking to here.

killatopak

DLC and mod support. Mod support will make it a "community game." Starfield on PS5 benefits community, blah, blah, blah.
Honestly, most console Bethesda mods are just ports from the PC side.

If you really want to have more Starfield mods, you have to push Bethesda to make official mod tools for PC and make them better.

KillaJamm

Does this guy just write whatever pops into his head, like where is he getting this information? It's like he had a template and just inserts franchise names ready to get more clicks 😂 Let's see what the first 4 games are, then we need to see if they even sell well. I mean I have an Xbox and haven't even played Grounded, Hi Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves or Pentiment (the presumed games). Says it all really.

Lupin25

phil did say exclusives are a smaller and smaller part of the industry... makes sense

To whom?

Because it’s certainly not for Nintendo or PS.

This month alone, Xbox is locked out of:

FFVII Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Pacific Drive
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Foamstars
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

This forum goes full retard every time this cunt makes a tweet. Maybe it's time to put the whole "insiders" thing to rest? The joke ain't funny anymore.
Stop giving these folks this "power". Ignore them. Play some games.
Agree with this.

It’s just all too convenient that he knows this “now”

If there’s one thing g we’ve learned about this past week or so is that these insiders are mostly full of clout chasing shit.

Darsxx82

the best part of the ‘has been considering’ line of ‘leaks’ from insiders is that nobody can call you out when you’re wrong. You’ll just say they considered and changed their minds.

Warren talked about a big game coming and had a Verge article heavily hinting at a day one port of Indiana Jones.

All wrong.
It sounds like his reaction to save his face after saying that he was clear about the arrival of Indiana Jones on PS5 a couple of months after the XSX version.... 🤔😂

It is clear that more XBOX games will come to PS5 and switch. You can't keep all ABK and Bethesda Studios and projects exclusive and expect most of them to be profitable. But it is clear that there are red lines about which games are interested in launching exclusively, which are temporary exclusives, and which are one day one. I believe that in the end the decisions will be made according to the moment and the need.

Killjoy-NL

Ironically enough, this is what a lot of their faithful feared would happen this week.
Phil Spencer not being clear in his messaging and every game announcement now coming with questions surrounding its exclusivity.
He was very clear:

Games are on the table after at least a year.

The rest was nothing but "stay positive" and "please be excited".

Last edited:
It has been made. They will go to other consoles.

Every game they announce going forward, one of the dominant questions will be about a PlayStation/Nintendo release.

They should of been honest today, I don’t think they were.

CamHostage

Flight sim should be on all platforms. Flying should be available to all.

Feels like a likely 4th or 5th move-over choice (albeit it'd be interesting to have that name "Microsoft Flight Simulator" on PlayStation Store... though the same thing happened when MS Word/Excel and other apps came back over to Apple hardware way back when.) It'd make more money in its marketplace, it'd extend its tail of audience attachment, it'd port over I imagine just fine, and it wouldn't rock the Xbox boat much (IMO.)

PS could use a flight sim, so it could find an audience there too. Whatever happened with the Dovetail deal for Flight Simulator before MS brought it back in house, they were never able to get off a console version of Flight Sim World or their other flight sims. And nobody else is doing this scale of flight simulator (aside from very specific, niche flight enthusiast companies.) So it'd be nice to see it shared, and I think FS is one of those that never really defined itself by its Xbox branding (albeit it was a nice next-gen exclusive back when Xbox Series needed to show off its strengths.) I think it would weather expansion to other platforms just fine.

Last edited:
Literally no point in any of these potential console claims they are putting out there.
Outside of a handheld- a powerful next gen console sounds like a waste or just a diversion for now.

It is a waste, one big reason is they hardly ever showcase its capabilities.

Look at how quickly the “most powerful console” narrative evaporated with 1X and Series X.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Considering this, other games might be under consideration. Now whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but I highly doubt these four games are it.

What did people expect? That MS would announce all of their games to be available on PS5 on day from now on?

The first four games are probably the furthest along in the porting process but there'll be more in the pipeline. But there's no need to announce them now. It will cause panic among Xbox fans, and besides that, studios need time to add PS5/Switch/Switch 2 to their development pipeline. For some studios it will be easy since they're already using a multiplatform 3D engine like Unreal or Unity, for other studios with proprietary 3D engines it's going to take much more time to support other platforms. And then there's the problem of finding the right places on the release calendar for these games so they'll get their chance to shin and rack up sales without being overshadowed by bigger releases. Just look at Sony, they've been porting games to PC for a couple of years now and even now they haven't yet released Ghost of Tsushima (or Bloodborne) yet.

Luigi Mario

Team probably doesn't even have devkits at this point.

Notice how the games that are supposed to be released for now are from studios that already have PS5 devkits - maybe with exception of rare.
Wouldn't be so sure about it, remember these are the same guys who developed the Plague Tale games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom