• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Microsoft was previously weighing bringing Gears, Flight Sim, and the next Doom to rival platforms. Final decision has not made yet

NEbeast

His wording made it obvious. It was the die hard xbros who can't see the forest for the trees thinking it would only 4 the 4 named.

StueyDuck

Obviously it depends on porting costs but just do it all. Why play picky choosey and leave money on the table, if they can get a port of gears ultimate or flight sim then just do it 🤷‍♂️.

I'd rather they just flat out make a yes/no decision then do all this pussyfooting around

Last edited:

CamHostage

Notice how Phil said "4 games" but didn't mention Microsoft releasing As Dusks Falls on PlayStation?

Interior Night Ltd. is listed as self-publishing this PlayStation version, as opposed to the PC and obviously Xbox versions of the game, so the studio may have the rights elsewhere once the Xbox deal time runs out even though Xbox Game Studios was the homegrown publisher. However. there's always weird publishing labels in digital distribution. (Ori 1 on Switch is listed as "Microsoft", Ori 2 was handled by IAm8Bit; Minecraft on PS and Switch is listed as Mojang, but of course MS owns Mojang.)

Skelterz

What the fuck does this even mean. I'm so happy I don't subscribe to the fanboy culture. I for one would be a much bigger fan of MS if they contributed even more to the ultimate demise of exclusive games and systems.

Exclusive games are more or less the reasons we ultimately decide our platform of choice, If exclusives didn’t exist it would be come a race to the bottom whereby the company with the most money would undercut everyone else to become the sole platform.

Competition is super important and healthy in every space don’t be fooled because you can’t play Spiderman and Phil says it don’t benefit anyone, he’s just mad because they currently have spent more money than the other console manufacturers and nobody is interested in there system.

Not only this but I’m pretty sure Starfield among other games were planned to launch on PS5 and I’ve read that decision upon the purchase of Bethesda was revoked, wake up and smell the coffee ☕️.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly, I get that they needed to put out a community fire and probably struggled for a long time with crafting a messaging narrative that would dilute this for their community, but this entire thing was a tremendous waste of time. Even the interview pieces afterwards talking about 'biggest leap in hardware'.

This entire outfit is just unbelievably misguided. I already felt this way based on just years of working with/for and with loads of other folks who have experience with Xbox and Microsoft, but Xbox is without a doubt one of the most poorly run gaming orgs in the industry. They just have a lot of capital to cover up the mistakes, and even then its not enough.

For once I actualy called something correctly. I posted this earlier this morning.

We gotta keep in mind that this whole thing is designed to calm the masses. Announcing games going to other platforms ain't going to do that. Doesn't matter if it is "only" Hi Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves (as many have pretended as being trivial ports). Any step in that direction is a sign of things to come and folks are going to act badly in response. That's why I think we get no details at all on games.

I do think we get a recommitment to hardware. That's an easy win. I think "cross-platform mentions" will simply be a matter of saying the words "cross-platform". The pertinent questions everyone wants answered, won't be.

Now that I've laid out my predictions for this enitre thing........I fully expect to be completely wrong.

Topher

Gold Member
When even Topher can predict your shitty damage control you know u fked up

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
What did people expect? That MS would announce all of their games to be available on PS5 on day from now on?

The first four games are probably the furthest along in the porting process but there'll be more in the pipeline. But there's no need to announce them now. It will cause panic among Xbox fans, and besides that, studios need time to add PS5/Switch/Switch 2 to their development pipeline. For some studios it will be easy since they're already using a multiplatform 3D engine like Unreal or Unity, for other studios with proprietary 3D engines it's going to take much more time to support other platforms. And then there's the problem of finding the right places on the release calendar for these games so they'll get their chance to shin and rack up sales without being overshadowed by bigger releases. Just look at Sony, they've been porting games to PC for a couple of years now and even now they haven't yet released Ghost of Tsushima (or Bloodborne) yet.
Exactly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Notice how Phil said "4 games" but didn't mention Microsoft releasing As Dusks Falls on PlayStation?

Because Microsoft isn't the one who published the playstation version.

What the fuck does this even mean. I'm so happy I don't subscribe to the fanboy culture. I for one would be a much bigger fan of MS if they contributed even more to the ultimate demise of exclusive games and systems.

Just say 'xbox is ded lul' and roll with it, you're gonna keep seeing posts like that regardless of what actually gets announced. (y)

hlm666

Maybe they are trying to get it to work in PSVR2 like GT7.
It works with VR already, what exactly do they need to try to do with it to make it work on psvr2. Sony are part of openxr aswell so the port work on that should't be hard either, so it has to be other reasons.

Mr.Phoenix

Honestly, I get that they needed to put out a community fire and probably struggled for a long time with crafting a messaging narrative that would dilute this for their community, but this entire thing was a tremendous waste of time. Even the interview pieces afterwards talking about 'biggest leap in hardware'.

This entire outfit is just unbelievably misguided. I already felt this way based on just years of working with/for and with loads of other folks who have experience with Xbox and Microsoft, but Xbox is without a doubt one of the most poorly run gaming orgs in the industry. They just have a lot of capital to cover up the mistakes, and even then its not enough.
I am not even bothering anymore. I have just accepted that Xbox is a stupidly run platform with more money than they know what to do with, and more disturbingly, they have some of the most gullible and ignorant fans in gaming.

For almost a week now, a lot of us outright described exactly how or what MS would say and how things would be going forward. Down to the BS PR talk of promising new hardware. I even mentioned that they would say something about Activision games coming to gamepass, And yet we got people acting like everything is just fine and business as usual and today was some sort of win. Because all they did was confirm 4 games for now and to treat the future on a case-by-case basis, lol. Like they expected MS would come and say... hey, going forward everything will come to PS?

At this point its easier to just be quiet and watch things unfold.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Because Microsoft isn't the one who published the playstation version.

Just say 'xbox is ded lul' and roll with it, you're gonna keep seeing posts like that regardless of what actually gets announced. (y)
- there's a rumor that xbox will release more games on ps5
"No! Xbox will not leave the console business"
- no mate, the rumor is about GAMES being released on Ps5"
"Thats absurd they will always make consoles, you sony fanboys are wrong and you will meltdown when Xbox is not dead"
- mate, again , is about GAMES
Xbox announces 04 games as a soft start to their third party strategy
"See! Its only 4 stupid games, xbox is fine and you wont get nothing more!"
- friend he never said that, phil lIes a lot and probably more and bigger games are coming in the furute
"NO XBOX WILL NOT STOP MAKING CONSOLES AND DIE YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN!!"

This is what we get when trying to talk with a crazy copium filled fanboy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Thats absurd they will always make consoles, you sony fanboys are wrong and you will meltdown when Xbox is not dead"
- friend he never said that, phil lIes a lot and probably more and bigger games are coming in the furute

Relax, don't blow a vessel.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

yazenov

MS already opened the floodgates with the 4 initial games. More will come flooding out to other platforms without a doubt. It's over for exclusives on the Xbox. They might as well announce that they are going to 3rd party.

Watch their hardware sales further decline into obscurity. It was already dead but this is just the final nail in the coffin for hardware sales.

havoc00

MS already opened the floodgates with the 4 initial games. More will come flooding out to other platforms without a doubt. It's over for exclusives on the Xbox. They might as well announce that they are going to 3rd party.

Watch their hardware sales further decline into obscurity. It was already dead but this is just the final nail in the coffin for hardware sales.
Gamepass is getting stronger Diablo next month baby

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sounds to me that they're porting 4 games that basically flopped from what I gather. Their bigger games will stay where they are unless something catastrophic happens within xbox.
Sea of Thieves and Grounded are two of Xbox’s only successes in the past ten years.

If they were porting flops Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport would be the first games being ported.

Vblad88

Both Sony and MS did the same thing recently - admitted that going PC with GaaS is inevitable.

Difference is, for Sony it was a clear conclusion from quarter analysis, said straight „in the eye”, and Xbox almost seemed like lying.

That’s a strong kindergarten PR damage control. Just like if there was internal pressure from internal studios to leverage their position to decide if they want to stay exclusive or not. What a joke

yazenov

Gamepass is getting stronger Diablo next month baby

Gamepass subscribers has declined with no growth untill MS had to artificially inflate it will gold subs. It's slow death is coming soon with the death of the hardware, as hardware sales are the main driver for subscriber growth. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Also not all Gamepass subscribers will get to play Diablo from the Verge tweet :p

havoc00

Gamepass subscribers has declined with no growth untill MS had to artificially inflate it will gold subs. It's slow death is coming soon with the death of the hardware, as hardware sales are the main driver for subscriber growth. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Also not all Gamepass subscribers will get to play Diablo from the Verge tweet :p
Core people don’t care about Xbox and are just cheap leeches Xbox wants premium gamers

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They probably will bring some more. I think it's a good move if it's worked for playstation and pc.

I'm not sure it has, but maybe microosft needs to compile that data themselves.

Gears could do huge numbers and help warrant further sequels etc

Last edited:

havoc00

They probably will bring some more. I think it's a good move if it's worked for playstation and pc.

Gears is amazing and would prob get to cod numbers when ported, aside from helldivers ps is lacking

foamdino

I find phil's "you've got to keep growing" completely disingenuous.

No as a games industry platform don't have to keep growing.

However

Xbox has spent stupid sums of money and an ROI is expected - at that point sure they have to keep growing to claw some money back. Phil chose to project the dire situation his company is in and apply it to the games industry as a whole.

Let's look at who is in trouble:
* Embracer - borrowed vast amounts of money at 0% interest went begging to Saudi when interest went up - complete lack of corporate responsibility
* XBox - went on a shopping spree with owners credit card and is now under the microscope when it comes down to profitability (and everything they've tried in the last decade+ has a been a disaster)
* Ubisoft - management team from hell, awash with sex pests and well known for working on giant AAA games which the market has grown increasingly tired of

This is only an "industry wide" problem if you look at the industry as only those companies managed and run by incompetent fools with no appreciation of economics.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Comforting 30 Rock GIF

The sooner you manage to wrestle your way out of that demon warrior husk, the better.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Dude, you have issues. What is this fanboy drivvle you are fantasising about.

I think a few more posts and you will deffo earn your ban. Keep it up.

Mr.Phoenix

I am kinda confused though... this is what a lot of us have been saying? They start with a few, and then more will come. But MS would not put it that way, MS will make it sound as harmless as possible and suggest that the rest will be on a case-by-case basis and depending on this or that. But thats just what they have to say...

But what is really confusing to me, is why are you talking about Xbox starting to bring their games to PS, like its the exact same thing with PS eventually bringing their games to PC? Is it that you really don't see the difference?

Absolutely. The retarded train is still full steam ahead I see.

But “Gears? No.” Is still consideration. Have we learned nothing in the last two weeks? Exclusives days are numbered, but Microsoft can’t/won’t do it alone. As Spencer said, in five to ten years they’ll be much less significant, and hopefully over.
You know how it would be "over"?
AAA games would just show up on PlayStation by default. No exclusivity deal because there is no deal to be made. You are technically right, it just doesn't sound as dramatic as you made it out to be. When Xbox no longer gets third party games, by definition there is no more need for 3rd party exclusives anymore. You either make a game on PlayStation or you try to make a lighter version for Switch.

There is only a need for 3rd party exclusivity deals when there is actually a rival console.
But what is really confusing to me, is why are you talking about Xbox starting to bring their games to PS, like its the exact same thing with PS eventually bringing their games to PC? Is it that you really don't see the difference?
As someone who primarily game on PC, I would welcome more PC ports. But you don't understand; the whole point why Consoles is a thing, is because 3rd parties make more money on Console than they do on PC. If people want to play on PC there was never anything stopping them. It is Console gamers refusing to move, that meant they become a lucrative market.

If you think everyone will start playing on PC and consoles will die, you are not understanding the appeal of consoles. I don't play on consoles but i don't act like they don't matter to gaming. Consoles are big and they make good money. Only Xbox managed to fail at this simple task of just making games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I am kinda confused though... this is what a lot of us have been saying? They start with a few, and then more will come. But MS would not put it that way, MS will make it sound as harmless as possible and suggest that the rest will be on a case-by-case basis and depending on this or that. But thats just what they have to say...

On the podcast, Phil put it pretty well. He said he can't set an expectation on something that might not happen.

If they say everything is coming, and then they release a few games and they tank on PS5 and they decide to stop releasing games, suddenly they are getting shit for going back on what they said.

He openly said, they will release the 4 games and see how everything goes then they will make decisions in the future, that Playstation players should not expect to receive every game. Simple

On the podcast, Phil put it pretty well. He said he can't set an expectation on something that might not happen.

If they say everything is coming, and then they release a few games and they tank on PS5 and they decide to stop releasing games, suddenly they are getting shit for going back on what they said.

He openly said, they will release the 4 games and see how everything goes then they will make decisions in the future, that Playstation players should not expect to receive every game. Simple

They're not going to stop putting games on PS if there are flops here and then. They're investing in a development pipeline for PS ports and once that's in place more will just keep coming.

Mr.Phoenix

Has it ever occurred to you that that very statement, goes both ways? That's the beauty of PR talk like that. It could happen, it could not, but regardless of the outcome, what he said covers it.
I do not think anyone expected them to, or even said they would say "Everything is coming". I believe a lot of us said they won't do that. But I feel you are still missing the point, even here.
Funny enough, everything that you have just said isn't even addressing the simple question I asked. I will ask you again.

4 games, maybe 3 more in the future, and then maybe 4 more after that, and maybe 2 more after that....etc. Case by case. Or maybe NONE. Why are you talking, as if Xbox putting their games on PS5, in any capacity, is the same thing as Sony putting their games on PC?

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Doom shouldn't be out of the question anyway, especially since it's been a cross platform game since 90's Doom.

Well I did make some suggestions to you. Hopefully when your back you blown off all your steam. It's really not worth getting worked up over things like this.

Top Bottom