• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: XSS specs (20CU at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF, similar CPU to XSX, PCIe4 SSD ,, >250W, 10GB of ram and no disk drive)

Well, while we're dumbing it down.

The original issue was people with large disc libraries they they want to keep using. Those people cannot purchase the PS5 digital or Series S.

Those customers will need to 'pay significantly more just to get all the bells and whistles and a disc drive' in both cases.
Yes, in both cases but both cases are still different if my price predictions hold true. IF. $200 more for an Xbox with a disc drive vs $100 more for a PS5 with a disc drive. That was my point. It's not the same hit. $200 hits your wallet different than $100 does lol

MilkyJoe

Its seriously just a gamepass game console. It's what they want people to buy just to get on to Gamepass as a cheap next gen entry point. That's all it is. The Series X is for the serious gamer who will buy lots of multiplats and want best performance. There are probably so many casuals who probably fit the Series S criteria. Especially still being powerful enough to easily output everything at 1440p/60. If it's cheap enough it will be much more desirable then series X, its more powerful than One X and its going to be cheaper than the One X was, that's why they discontinued the One X, it doesn't fit in their business model.

I know what it's for, but I'm not so sure it's going to work out for them, same for the ps5

gow3isben

Damn it now PS5 multiplats will be downgraded. Sony better buy a lot more 3rd party exclusive deals. In going desperation mode with their wonky plans to secure price and power MS has really given the finger to developers who have to deal with this limiter of a product.

It is interesting as it will have a RAM deficiency against the One X, likely only 8 GB of RAM available to games and if you see a game pushing very strongly for RT and other expensive techniques bringing to native 1440p on XSX, should we expect sub 1080p native on XSS or less?

Also, it apparently is not just CU count being reduced, but clockspeed too (we do not know if they go with 3 DCU per Shader Array and this still keep the same amount of ROP’s and Geometry Engine resources as XSX).

Reducing the clockspeed does lower fill rate, triangle processing, and the performance of other fixed components that are outside of the CU’s: before CU’s can transform and shade those vertices and fragments you need the geometry to go through a processing phase (clip, setup, rasterise, etc...) that has a lower ceiling limit on XSS. Essentially: if you try to maximise the geometry throughput (think UE5’s micro polygons based engine) of XSX you will have a resolution independent problem on XSS (meaning that lowering resolution does not help you much, you need to focus more on rejecting tiny triangles with little screen coverage).

Ray tracing will not be on XSS.

XSS is your cheap entry to next gen console hardware. You play at 1440p60 fps max at high medium graphics settings.

Series X- Ultra 4k 60/30 with or without ray tracing.

reinking

Gold Member
I see people saying the Series S is a Game Pass console. The way I see it, for the foreseeable future, the One S is the cheap Game Pass console. If/when they stop production on those maybe the S steps in. I am looking at the Series S as the upgrade to the One S. Those One S people are typically not the upgrade type until they have a reason to upgrade. If they already wanted an upgrade they would have bought the One X.

Damn it now PS5 multiplats will be downgraded. Sony better buy a lot more 3rd party exclusive deals. In going desperation mode with their wonky plans to secure price and power MS has really given the finger to developers who have to deal with this limiter of a product.

Multiplatform are also on PC and support hardware specs lower than XSS. So those PCs will hold back more than XSS which using all same Series X hardware just at lower speed ans and power to cut cost. SSD is same afaik

John254

Banned
Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 disc versions-$600

Xbox Series S($400) and PS5 digital version-$450
Lol. Why would XSS cost only 50$ less as PS5DE?

Both don't have disc drives, but XSS has: 16 CU fewer, 6GB less GDDR6 RAM, cheaper SSD solution, probably cheaper built costs thanks to lower cooling requirements.

So why in hell would Microsoft priced it almost same as PS5 DE?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ray tracing will not be on XSS.

XSS is your cheap entry to next gen console hardware. You play at 1440p60 fps max at high medium graphics settings.

Series X- Ultra 4k 60/30 with or without ray tracing.

1.) you did not seem to have read anything else I wrote there (please do) and 2.) you are seeing how limiting this starts being after a while (RAM wise too, less RAM than XOX).

BeardGawd

Banned
Question for you guys. Would a discless Series X be too many skus? So you have an all digital X and S and a disc based X. The all digital Series X would compete with the all digital PS5 price wise with the Series S coming in even lower.

One S $199
Series S $299
Series X DE $399
Series X with disc $499

Last edited:
why are people thinking that removing a $10 disk drive makes the price drop $100?

1. Its not just $10, its more like $20-40.
  2. It isnt just the cost of the drive. You also have to add in the extra revenue on a digital console as every purchase will be through the digital store on that platform. Over the lifetime of the machine that extra revenue can easily add up to the $100 difference.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
So the Series X was held back in ram department to have a 10 gb block of similar ram to the Series S. I guess this will make scaling easier? but another example of being held back. Starting to think The X only exists for Microsoft to claim the most powerful, but they really want the S to be in every household.
Has to be dirt cheap to even be worthwhile. Even then I imagine a lot of casuals will just stick with their Xbox One /PS4 consoles for the time being.

The traditional way is for last gen consoles to fall in price.

Casuals don't go into a gen at the first midnight sale- sales don't peak in the first year. Hardcore is always hungry for next gen (there are people who bought an Xbox one for $499 and they are among us- there are even those who got a second job for the PS3- and although we are not allowed to talk about it there are those who bought a PS4 on launch and had to play Resogun for months). Casuals wait until PS/Xbox price is at normal level. They are the smart ones.

Ascend

why are people thinking that removing a $10 disk drive makes the price drop $100?
It's highly unlikely that they would sell a digital version at a profit. They will use the digital one to increase market share and get people on the platform that have less to spend on a console. They don't want to price it too close to the disc version either, because then everyone would skip the digital one.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Because they will make that money back off your first 2 or 3 purchases.....which you will do through their store.
People with disk drives can buy second hand or on sale stuff which already has a high cost for the platform holder compared to the digital store.

P.S I dont think the PS5DE will be 100 dollars cheaper......one of two things would have to be going on, the DE is being sold at a super super loss, or the reggie is overpriced.

Justin9mm

I know what it's for, but I'm not so sure it's going to work out for them, same for the ps5
Sorry, was more an opinion statement then actually thinking you don't know.

I think it works better than the all digital PS5 because Gamepass being an all digital service is what's keeping Xbox afloat. It's more forgivable.

If the PS5 had their own version of Gamepass and Exclusives were part of the subscription then the all digital PS5 if cheap enough would sell like hot cakes. PS now is not the same thing, its not even available in a lot of countries, we surprisingly don't even have it here in Australia. Gamepass is pretty much worldwide. Not sure where you are but Australia is usually one of the first to get everything so I don't know why we don't have PS Now.

Not an Xbox Fanboy by the way, I have One X and Pro but going PS5 only next gen. I don't care for Xbox at all.

Question for you guys. Would a discless Series X be too many skus? So you have an all digital X and S and a disc based X. The all digital Series X would compete with the all digital PS5 price wise with the Series S coming in even lower.

One S $199
Series S $299
Series X DE $399
Series X with disc $499

How does removing a disk save a hundred dollars? Maybe 50 at best, but 100?

saintjules

One S $199
Series S $299
Series X DE $399
Series X with disc $499

They most likely won't do a discless Series X. The fact that they're hiding the Series S this long, leads me to believe this is all we're getting from that lineup.

Sorry, was more an opinion statement then actually thinking you don't know.

I think it works better than the all digital PS5 because Gamepass being an all digital service is what's keeping Xbox afloat. It's more forgivable.

If the PS5 had their own version of Gamepass and Exclusives were part of the subscription then the all digital PS5 if cheap enough would sell like hot cakes. PS now is not the same thing, its not even available in a lot of countries, we surprisingly don't even have it here in Australia. Gamepass is pretty much worldwide. Not sure where you are but Australia is usually one of the first to get everything so I don't know why we don't have PS Now.

Not an Xbox Fanboy by the way, I have One X and Pro but going PS5 only next gen. I don't care for Xbox at all.
PS4 has consistently sold more software digitally for compared to physical the past year. Sony releasing an all digital PS5 is a reaction to that to ensure better profit/more money in their pockets.

So it makes complete sense as to why we're getting an all digital PS5.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
They most likely won't do a discless Series X. The fact that they're hiding the Series S this long, leads me to believe this is all we're getting from that lineup.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think we will absolutely get a discless Series X. The only question is when. I think they will price match the Series X with the regular PS5 (otherwise why wait for the price) and could possibly do a discless sku sometime down the line if the all digital PS5 proves popular at it's pricepoint.

Then you have the Series S which will be the best bang for your buck 1080p console which is future proof for next-gen games.

There's also a rumored new One S v2 sku going around. My guess is it will come out bundled with the new controller. It will also include some of the hardware latency improvements that are coming to the Series S/X platforms. Thus making it a great and super cheap Game Pass streaming box.

saintjules

I don't think that's the case at all. I think we will absolutely get a discless Series X. The only question is when. I think they will price match the Series X with the regular PS5 (otherwise why wait for the price) and could possibly do a discless sku sometime down the line if the all digital PS5 proves popular at it's pricepoint.

Then you have the Series S which will be the best bang for your buck 1080p console which is future proof for next-gen games.

There's also a rumored new One S v2 sku going around. My guess is it will come out bundled with the new controller. It will also include some of the hardware latency improvements that are coming to the Series S/X platforms. Thus making it a great and super cheap Game Pass streaming box.

It's a thought for sure. Well if it happens that's a win for Microsoft.

DaGwaphics

Lol. Why would XSS cost only 50$ less as PS5DE?

Both don't have disc drives, but XSS has: 16 CU fewer, 6GB less GDDR6 RAM, cheaper SSD solution, probably cheaper built costs thanks to lower cooling requirements.

So why in hell would Microsoft priced it same as PS5 DE?

Let them dream, as they say. :messenger_beaming:

Neo_game

Why are people saying 1440P at 60fps. May be Halo infinite or racing games but I think and hope this crappy console is 1080P console. Otherwise gfx on Xbox is not going that impressive if Microsoft are going after pixels count, fps count and RT. This is a horrible idea.

DavidGzz

The bolded is the thing I just refuse to believe. I've seen Gaffers say this a lot lately, but I think it ignores that their needs to be demand for something before consumers decide to buy it. Millions of people worldwide aren't going to buy the XSS "just" because it's the new thing on shelves. MS will have to give those people a reason to demand or want an XSS. And if the choice is a $299 disc-less XSS and a $399 disc-less PS5, I'm not sure the majority will go with the XSS.

I think of MS was set on the price of $299 they would have revealed it. I think they're flexible with the pricing depending on what Sony does. If Sony really went down to 399 I could see Microsoft going to 250 or 200. If Sony can afford to be $399 Microsoft can afford to be $199 with cheaper hardware, but they're probably just stop at $250.

THE DUCK

Banned
Why are people saying 1440P at 60fps. May be Halo infinite or racing games but I think and hope this crappy console is 1080P console. Otherwise gfx on Xbox is not going that impressive if Microsoft are going after pixels count, fps count and RT. This is a horrible idea.

Its actually a good idea, 1440p still looks very good, and if they can hit a price point and deliver decent games loading with a fast ssd it could do very well. Its a lot less taxing on the system than 4k, you might be surprised how well that system coukd handle it.

I'm still left in the dark though, will lockheart support an xbox one x mode? Just wondering how they are going to deal with backwards compatibility.......a lockheart that plays xbox one games in original xbox one mode vs xbox one x mode would be a fail in my eyes.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

PS4 has consistently sold more software digitally for compared to physical the past year. Sony releasing an all digital PS5 is a reaction to that to ensure better profit/more money in their pockets.

So it makes complete sense as to why we're getting an all digital PS5.
Here we go again.

I think you missed my point and not in Australia unless they were digital titles on deep sale. A new release game is $30 more digital than a physical copy in store. PS All digital will not sell well in Australia. It has nothing to do with data speeds, caps or access.

The price difference between consoles for us will most likely be like $100-$150 AUD. You buy 4 games and you would of spent that already when you didn't have to. There are no refunds if you don't like it and there is no resale option. So why buy the digital version.. I can still buy digital with the disc version!?

I was making the point that because Xbox has Gamepass, that is a reason to buy all digitial but Playstation does not have this. You can save $30 every single game you buy by purchasing a physical copy. You cut off your own legs with that option if you don't buy the disc version.

You need to look at the market in other countries not just the situation of your own country. And Australia is one of PlayStation's biggest markets.

Edit: And by the way this is no dig at PlayStation. I don't give two shits about Xbox and Gamepass. I'll be upgrading from my Pro to PS5 day 1.

Last edited:

Redlight

Yes, in both cases but both cases are still different if my price predictions hold true. IF. $200 more for an Xbox with a disc drive vs $100 more for a PS5 with a disc drive. That was my point. It's not the same hit. $200 hits your wallet different than $100 does lol
In your scenario Series S is the best way to enter next-gen on a budget, it's a genuine alternative. In my opinion your guess about the price difference between PS5 digital and PS5 isn't big enough to make it worth the loss of functionality.

In your scenario Series S is the best way to enter next-gen on a budget, it's a genuine alternative. In my opinion your guess about the price difference between PS5 digital and PS5 isn't big enough to make it worth the loss of functionality.
And I agree with the former part of your paragraph. Series S will sell a lot because of it's alluded price and that's a good thing. As far as the price difference between the digital PS5 and the disc drive version, I think $100 is enough to sway people while $50 wouldn't make sense to have a separate SKU.

But we'll see soon enough what these consoles will ultimately be priced at. Hopefully we won't have to wait enough to find out at the register 🤣

1440p 60fps isn't far off on Series S based on the specs no? the blessed cheaper console is having the same beast of a cpu, and a decent gpu.

Redlight

And I agree with the former part of your paragraph. Series S will sell a lot because of it's alluded price and that's a good thing. As far as the price difference between the digital PS5 and the disc drive version, I think $100 is enough to sway people while $50 wouldn't make sense to have a separate SKU.

But we'll see soon enough what these consoles will ultimately be priced at. Hopefully we won't have to wait enough to find out at the register 🤣
The cheaper the Series S is the better it will be for everyone I guess. I think Sony will try and position their Digital version in between the full PS5 and the Series S. Well, at least as far as common sense will allow.

At the register? We'll have to sign an NDA and there'll be a withdrawal from your credit card with the amount redacted. :)

sendit

If the Series S is 299, whats another 200 dollars to buy the premium console. Seems like a waste.

How does removing a disk save a hundred dollars? Maybe 50 at best, but 100?

Once again - it isn't just about the amount they save by not including the drive.
It is also about the extra revenue they will gain by forcing people to buy all their games through their own online store (where they get more profit than they do from physical media).
Yes, the drive itself may only cost $20-40. But $10 extra profit on each game someone buys easily adds up to make up the $100 difference.

Remember, the Xbox 360 models were $100 apart at launch and the only differences were a 20GB HDD and the component cables - certainly not a $100 difference in cost to MS.

kikkis

Gold Member
Once again - it isn't just about the amount they save by not including the drive.
It is also about the extra revenue they will gain by forcing people to buy all their games through their own online store (where they get more profit than they do from physical media).
Yes, the drive itself may only cost $20-40. But $10 extra profit on each game someone buys easily adds up to make up the $100 difference.

Remember, the Xbox 360 models were $100 apart at launch and the only differences were a 20GB HDD and the component cables - certainly not a $100 difference in cost to MS.
I think people who buy digital only ps5 were already digital only on ps4, so no extra revenue there. Besides why would sony do loss leader, first 10 million will be sold out regardless if its 400 or 500.

DaGwaphics

The cheaper the Series S is the better it will be for everyone I guess. I think Sony will try and position their Digital version in between the full PS5 and the Series S. Well, at least as far as common sense will allow.

At the register? We'll have to sign an NDA and there'll be a withdrawal from your credit card with the amount redacted. :)

It's unbelievable that we are this far along without pricing. They will probably be X$ + 1 Kidney.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There is a $499 there you know....

besides, it is not about to sell them at $599, but if the components are priced high, they are high 🤷‍♀️

Produce more = costs less. Both PS5 consoles are the same, one is discless. XSX and XSS are different, and depends on how many console they're gonna produce for each = priced accordingly. Of course, you may speculate as you like until we get the official numbers. I only can see Sony changing plans and pushing production from 6 to 10 million is due to having a price advantage, assuming both won't eat losses from each console.

John254

Banned
My "predcitions" would be
Xbox Series X, Playstation 5 - 599$
Playstation 5 Digital Edition - 549$
Xbox Series S - 349$

Yeah. It clashes with Sony's strategy to move players to new consoles as soon as possible, but there is a line between "to loose a big bucks on consoles but it still make business sense" and "absolute madness"
That consoles won't be cheap.

7nm process with huge chips, Sony's insane SSD solution, another dedicated chip for audio, expensive cooling solution, huge box, advanced (and expensive) controller. It they go for 499$ i would applaud them both. But i just can't see how it would make sense.

Ar¢tos

599$ will bring "2nd job" memories to many people.
Has to be 499$ max. They can take losses until they can make the hardware cheaper.
399$ for Ps5D would make it a top seller while successfully limiting people to the digital store.
XSS is in a worse position. It needs to be a minimum of 150$ cheaper than the Ps5D, otherwise people will just realize they can get a machine with more than double of the power for just 100$ more.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do you guys think Sony is INSANE and CRAZY? No way they can sell 10 million PS5s if it cost $599. All of the PS execs would have to be on crack if they think they'll be able to 10 million units at that cost.

I think of MS was set on the price of $299 they would have revealed it. I think they're flexible with the pricing depending on what Sony does. If Sony really went down to 399 I could see Microsoft going to 250 or 200. If Sony can afford to be $399 Microsoft can afford to be $199 with cheaper hardware, but they're probably just stop at $250.

I don't think MS can "afford" to sell Lockhart a dollar below $299. It's just not feasible or realistic to do so. At some point, the cost of the SSD, controller, and APU alone would prohibit that price point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If this is true, it's gonna be painful:

Reading through this persons tweets.....I wouldnt bother posting their rumors on here.

P.S No way the Series S is cheaper or equal in price to the PS5DE lest they are really hoping to steal the casual market with people who dont know which console is more powerful....it could work.
Their marketing keeps talking about most powerful console, but thats not about the Series S.

Has this guy ever been right about something he tweeted?

Only when its common knowledge.
When the official channels says something its Breaking News on his Twitter.
Instead of retweeting it, he types up a whole new tweet to make it seem like he is breakingt he news.
Other than that....Nope.

kikkis

Gold Member
Do you guys think Sony is INSANE and CRAZY? No way they can sell 10 million PS5s if it cost $599. All of the PS execs would have to be on crack if they think they'll be able to 10 million units at that cost.

I don't think MS can "afford" to sell Lockhart a dollar below $299. It's just not feasible or realistic to do so. At some point, the cost of the SSD, controller, and APU alone would prohibit that price point.
Ps4 sold worldwide over 110m million units, surely there is at least 10 million hardcore sony console fans worldwide without monetary issues. But bom has already been speculated to be slightly under 500 so no console is unlikely to be 600.

Top Bottom