• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Remastered just quietly censored one in-game detail after most recent patch

Power Pro

Exactly! I can see why more people aren't having sex until they are in their 30s now. This is what makes people mad now?
Comments like this on forums like this just make me shake my head.

This is a GAMING section on a forum...if people aren't going to talk about this here, then where? Are you expecting no posts at all regarding this? wouldn't be a very active forum then. Or do you think people should post about how often they're having sex on a gaming forum?

FFS, get over yourself and this stupid attitude.

remember when you could just go into the settings and turn blood on and off. Can we not just get a WOKE toggle option setting nowdays?
Were you not paying attention when Nexusmods banned the mod that removed "preferred pronoun" from Starfield?

This was never about them playing the game their way, this was always about them not wanting you to play your game your way.

This is why they hate Stellar Blade so, because their plan doesn't work if there was out there even one developer making a AAA game that doesn't follow their worldview. In order for them to control the type of games you can play, they have to get all the major developers/publishers on board, and they are pretty close to achieving that goal, and the existence of Stellar Blade must really gnaw at them.

Boglin

Exactly! I can see why more people aren't having sex until they are in their 30s now. This is what makes people mad now?
Yup. Activism of this flavor used to be part of a rebellious phase that usually ended during or shortly after college, but now it has become a large part of more and more people's adult identities, leaving them in a state of arrested development and skewed priorities.
These days, there are countless people within corporations that are up in arms and on an angry crusade to remove even minor depictions of sexuality in media which caters to straight men. Those people truly need to get out and get laid.

I know what you meant.

Robb

Gold Member
4vniE7C.jpeg

Madonis

I don't think this should have been removed, honestly, but it doesn't affect my opinion of the game either way.

Just bizarre that someone, somewhere cared enough to change something so minor.

Dr.Morris79

Exactly! I can see why more people aren't having sex until they are in their 30s now.
What.
The.
Fuck.

How did you even come to that conclusion from this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People not having sex into their 30's is not because they're angry over a pretend poster of a nice'ish bunch of pixels in a computer game, and it's nothing to do with people moaning about it's removal on a video game forum..

How do you even gain this type of logic? Is it taught? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If it's taught then you might have answered your own question..

Which wouldn't surprise since the west has been neutering young boys and men in regards to 'Toxic masculinity' for years now having it pumped into their heads that they're shit..

In other words. Men bad.

This is just another faucet of that bollocks.

It's not too late to wake up to what's actually going on though (y)

Kupfer

We’d better go scorched earth on every possible thing that might make a couple internet fools cry.

who fucking cares
I do care.

I don't care about the posters in the background, I care about the attitude of the developers / studio.

Decisions were made and the game was released, then you should stand by them and not deprive the customer afterwards of content that did not negatively affect the game.

In my opinion, this shows a lack of integrity towards your own product; you turn like a flag in the wind as soon as you fear a headwind.
And all this for what? A better EGS score? Has an investor complained about this patriarchal content? The game has its roots in the 90s, those were different times. "Hanging" these posters in the game as a tribute should bring a smile to the face of every player who grew up with these Lara Croft posters and magazine covers back then.

To fail to recognize this now, after the release, is a sign of weakness.

You don't release a flight simulator with a Boeing 767-200 only to patch it out six months later because you realize that this plane was flown into the WTC 20 years ago.
Either you think beforehand about how you want to deal with nowadays sensitive content and, if in doubt, leave it out from the start, or you stand by it, especially if it's not a problem at all.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
who fucking cares

Where does it stop though? Our apathy and tolerance is why these cunts are so emboldened. I think those Lara posters are pretty stupid but I'd never want them removed. It was part of the original vision but now these cunts have gone and scrubbed it out of existence because they want to thought police us.

We have sensitivity consultants coming for our books and shows, and now coloured haired freaks from the likes of SBI tone policing and (re)designing games to what they think should be acceptable. How is this any different from fascist dictatorships like the CCP doing the same thing to their arts and humanities. People should fucking care because maybe one day they might come for you and your stuff.

BbMajor7th

I think it's less the change itself and more the principle. This is one person imposing their moral perspective on another - the implication that the male gaze of the '90s has no place in the modern world (even in games that largely built their success on it).

Moonjt9

I mean it might sound absolutely stupid, but this alone is enough for me not to buy this game. Not because I need ps1 era Lara posters, but because I can’t STAND this shit happening in my hobby. And as one individual, I can only voice my annoyance with my wallet.

Give me back games made by sweaty nerds who loved video games.

I really just want to know who are those posters hurting...

Also, do they know the audience that will play these games? Or would play this game, if it wasn't such an embarrassing guilt fest from the developers?

The super hyper ultra progressives those changes are being made for, don't play video games pre-The Last of Us 2.

I mean it might sound absolutely stupid, but this alone is enough for me not to buy this game. Not because I need ps1 era Lara posters, but because I can’t STAND this shit happening in my hobby. And as one individual, I can only voice my annoyance with my wallet.

Give me back games made by sweaty nerds who loved video games.
Me too, and It think everyone has this exact same reasoning, honestly.

People will try to frame it as "horny basement dwellers mad cuz they are taking their boobies away", but that's missing the point completely.

No one ACTUALLY cares about those posters. It's what the removal of them represents. Not to mention it's incredibly pathetic.

It doesn't change the game in any meaningful way.
Of course it doesn't, but dumb shit like that would lead me to search for a nude mod, just because. If I would own those TR games. I don't have enough interest in them anyway... and if someone actually want's to get aroused there is ton of material with Lara that is much more graphic than these old poster of very outdated Lara. It serves no important purpose and I doubt anyone stopped there to jerk off... But removing instead of embracing her past, is just weird nevertheless.
Lara became what she is today because she was sexualised. Same as Bayonetta or Eve now, or Bond since forever. All those official cosplay models incl. Angelie Jolie used that. Practically all singer, athletes, actors, male and female, owe part of their success to that, sometimes it enhances their money gains sometimes it is the core of their fame.

Filben

Man, why does Aspyr go through the trouble they evoked now just for small pin-up posters that belong to the era the original game was made in and was rightly disclaimered so in this game.

Maybe they thought it doesn't make sense lore-wise having them posters up there and it feels a bit like a meta-commentary? Maybe it was a technical oversight? Could be, but with this climate we have now people are very prudent about developers' intentions these days. If you don't want Lara to be sexualised in any way maybe stop dressing her in tight shorts in snow-covered Peruan mountains and caves instead of removing posters. So that's what they ultimately decided to remove to fight Lara's sexualization? This brings them way more trouble than it does anyone good, just seeing the Steam forums already flooded with comments and threads about that.

You can't really fight values represented in a different era by taking the same product of said era and remaster it. If you want to change certain depictions, you would have to remake the game. Otherwise it gets watered down with unfaithful and capricious changes.

It's a principle thing. You can't go around saying you'll leave everything in the game only to cut out whatever like a damn sleazeball ninja.
People will find out and call out.

Thats whats happening. The fact that its a bunch of posters doesnt change the fact that we were lied to.
If you cant understand this and want to make it about 30 year old virgins, you obviously don't understand what we're on about.

It's a gaming forum. We're talking about games. You are the only one making this about sex. No-one else.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Damn, I really wanted to play through these remasters eventually with trophies. But I can’t support this bullshit censorship. Lost a sale from me unfortunately.

magnumpy

but realy, I mean you can see so MUCH MORE of the wall in the after pics. sure you lose some of the silly pinup textures, but just seeing those additioinal few inches of the wall texture gets the architect in me all hot and bothered :pie_drooling:

BlackTron

This is why they hate Stellar Blade so, because their plan doesn't work if there was out there even one developer making a AAA game that doesn't follow their worldview. In order for them to control the type of games you can play, they have to get all the major developers/publishers on board, and they are pretty close to achieving that goal, and the existence of Stellar Blade must really gnaw at them.

H0B9y3g.gif

Impotaku

The hurr duhh brigade who say who cares? Are pretty short sighted it maybe just something inoffensive as posters been removed now, but that’s how all this starts. Little by little they will normalise it chopping and changing games as they see fit. if you are remastering something you have a responsibility to present it as it originally was. You are in no position to decide to alter it years later to try to win woke points with the danger hairs like some sad little simps.

Makes me glad I play mainly Japanese stuff as western gaming is slowly going down the toilet.

King Dazzar

Give an inch take a mile. Its the mindset that's infecting games that's the bigger concern. And the fact that they're so sensitive to it, they went out of their way to remove it. I think its great that people push back against it in principle. Besides, what's wrong with a bit of tongue in cheek eye candy in an archaic looking remaster. The game looks bland enough.

Top Bottom