• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4Lukins

Azih said:
You know how Jeff Bell was raked over the coals in the entire gaming press for a PRIVATE PM on GAF?

Well this thread reflects a thousand times worse on Denis Dyack.

I think to an outside observer, it is not Denis that is going to receive the brunt of the ridicule. Well maybe I spoke to soon. I doubt MS is enjoying this.

CowboyAstronaut said:
:lol :lol

I think Denis mentioned Haze and Lair in this thread because, despite how terrible those games have looked all throughout the entire stage of their development, they were being still receiving large amounts of hype by people here on GAF.

I don't think people like to revisit it, but Lair was being called a Killer App and was one of the biggest guns in the Console war. At least that's what a lot of people here on GAF were making it out to be. With the known outcomes of both Lair and Haze, it might be possible to say that, even now, the level of negativity Too Human has gotten has eclipsed even those 2 terrible games. How does that happen? Denis isn't likable? People think he talks too much? Whatever the case may be, the Lair devs talked far more trash than Denis has ever done. Denis' biggest crime here on GAF might truly be the fact that he actually cares and believes in the game his team is developing just as much as he's been saying he did all along.

There was a brief moment of honesty during the later development periods of Haze, but that still doesn't put the level of criticism it got anywhere on the level of what Too Human was/is receiving.

The low metacritic scores those games received being pointed out might have a bit of significance because, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the majority of Too Human's largest critics here on GAF expect Too Human to be this year's Lair? Weren't most people expecting this game to end up being so horrible that it would score as horrible an average on Metacritic as Haze and Lair did?

Maybe my interpretation of why Denis mentioned Lair and Haze is completely off, but I think it makes some sense. I don't it's so much that he's trying to set the bar low, but that his game wont be quite the trainwreck that everyone expects it to be. To know where he stands on the metacritic bar it's in his words, not the numbers. He believes this is the best game they've ever made. The best game they've ever made can't score in the 60s and 70s on metacritic. He believes that the game will be one of this year's best games. It's clear he doesn't see getting above Lair and Haze as a success. It's pretty clear to me that he expects his game to be unbelievable and worthy of 90s.

Whether it actually gets those is another story entirely, but I feel it will personally end up between 86-90 and that wont make it a flop in my book. That will make it amazing.

As I said before though, I'm excited for the game, but if it doesn't deliver for me I wont hesitate to say so.

Fuckin' A. You nailed it.

EDIT - and so did Puncture!

SPEA

Puncture said:
WTF is this? Unprofessional? So he needs to be professional when he is here now? :lol As if we would return the favor? Really? REALLY?

Look, I dont like Dyack, and I havent ever liked a game he has made (sorry dude, just being honest) but the bull in this thread has reached an epic level. You guys trying to act like he is some tremendous douche for doing the kind of thing GAF does on a REGULAR is stupid. Let him have his bet, lord knows you all have spent the last 3 freaking years laying in to him and his game. Now he confronts you head on, on your own level (yea....act like you've never seen a Gaf tag bet before, go ahead) and you are suddenly above this immaturity?

Complaining that this thread is some sort of stain on GAF is ridiculous when we get multi paged threads on topics much sillier. Jesus Christ I hope this game pulls something amazing and dethrones OOT or whatever the hell is sitting on top of meta critic and the like just to watch you guys writhe in pain. Who the hell cares if you arent going to buy it, go click on another one of the dozens of topics then.

I'm going to bet For, just to piss you guys off.
applause.gif

Damn right.

Chrange

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
:lol :lol

I think Denis mentioned Haze and Lair in this thread because, despite how terrible those games have looked all throughout the entire stage of their development, they were being still receiving large amounts of hype by people here on GAF.

I don't think people like to revisit it, but Lair was being called a Killer App and was one of the biggest guns in the Console war. At least that's what a lot of people here on GAF were making it out to be.

Lair was even being hyped after Sony didn't mention it AT ALL in their E3 showcase just before it launched. If there was ever a sign of problems, that was it.

Lykathea

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
Yeah..... no.

If you actually look into the behind-the-scenes gameplay of Diablo 2 (which I do) then you'll see that they aren't even close.

Which is why I highly doubt Too Human will be even remotely close to Diablo 2's core gameplay..... but I still want it, so I have hope.

Don't get your hopes up, TH is fundamentally not Diablo and going in expecting it to be another series is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Of course TH has elements from that larger genre, but it will fundamentally play different due to different design principles and goals.

Amir0x said:
No. The game is shitty because I say it is shitty. Most games above 80% are still shitty, because I say they're shitty.

The problem is that Denis Dyack himself apparently believes in setting such an astronomically low standard for his game that even he isn't confident enough in his product to defend it with anything approaching real risk. What sort of bet is that? I can't exactly blame him. If my game was Too Human, I'd probably be comparing it to the metacritic rankings of ELF BOWLING and call it a day. That's probably the only sure bet. And remember, HE is the one who called for the bet. It is he who has to own up.

But hey maybe it moves past the laughable abuse of classic Norse mythology and his cliff note browsing and interpretation of Friedrich Nietzsche (wouldn't count on that though, judging by the poor literature rape Lovecraft went through in Eternal Darkness), and maybe it's much better looking than the mishmash of art direction and awful texture and lighting work that is in videos and screens. Maybe it also plays better than a generic RPG-cum-dungeon crawler with action elements, and it's way more rad that anything we should assume. Maybe. But I think if SK's catalog of disasters-shakily-defended-by-console-specific enthusiasts is any indication, it won't be.

But if he is confident in his product, than we should meet halfway between shitty and great no? 75%-80%? In any events once gamerankings and metacritic became the criteria, I just entered for the lulz because setting his game at HAZE and LAIR and trying to stapple SONYGAF conspiracy to the end was too good to believe.

What's your favorite game? It's shitty because I say it's shitty.

Can't say I can predict one way or the other with this game - I hope it turns out great, but the media shown so far hasnt impressed me that much.

One thing that I do find pretty abhorent is the way Too Human threads are basically a mandated trolling zone when there are certain other titles where even the slightest piece of critical posting risks a ban. I wouldn't have started a thread like this but it must be pretty disheartening for any SK employees to read some of the threads on here, which often make Gamefaqs look intelligent.

JoeLang

Further update.

Hilary from IGN Xbox has finished the game and will have hands-on impressions on Monday along with new videos apparently.

Flavius

GauntletFan said:
Can't say I can predict one way or the other with this game - I hope it turns out great, but the media shown so far hasnt impressed me that much.

One thing that I do find pretty abhorent is the way Too Human threads are basically a mandated trolling zone when there are certain other titles where even the slightest piece of critical posting risks a ban. I wouldn't have started a thread like this but it must be pretty disheartening for any SK employees to read some of the threads on here, which often make Gamefaqs look intelligent.

Turok what???

FightyF

Banned
Amir0x said:
No. The game is shitty because I say it is shitty. Most games above 80% are still shitty, because I say they're shitty.

Why should we care about what you think?

Honest question.

Give us a few reasons, why the rest of us on GAF, should take your opinion on games seriously to any degree.

Whenever I criticize a game, I always make it a point to back up what I mean. I try to give alternatives, or other ways the issue I have with the game, could be addressed. Sometimes I don't have time to go into detail, but for the great majority of my posts, I try to.

This is because I come from a Computer Science background and thus have a very, very basic understanding of game development, a decent understanding of software development, and a decent knowledge in regards to graphics, audio, AI, physics, and current technologies.

I've also used to do videogame reviews for a major Calgary newspaper. I've played tons of games, good and bad. My analysis of said games went deep, for not only the review itself, but my own understanding of what makes a great game.

When it comes to racing games, hockey games, wrestling games, FPS games, I know my opinion is valued here on this forum. Can you say the same for yourself, especially when talking about action games such as this?

The problem is that Denis Dyack himself apparently believes in setting such an astronomically low standard...

That people like YOURSELF have set...

...for his game that even he isn't confident enough in his product to defend it with anything approaching real risk. What sort of bet is that? I can't exactly blame him. If my game was Too Human, I'd probably be comparing it to the metacritic rankings of ELF BOWLING and call it a day. That's probably the only sure bet. And remember, HE is the one who called for the bet. It is he who has to own up.

Wait, it's YOU who are not owning up to the bet. It's clearly stated:

"If I am wrong and gamers in general think the game is “crap” then I am comfortable with getting tagged “Owned by the GAF”."

Why do you back-peddle, and now consider anything less than a 90% to be "crap"?

What Dennis is doing here is calling you out. If you're gonna call the game "shit", and repeatedly slag the game in every thread, uphold unfair double standards in regards to trolling for just his game, why don't you man up if it turns out that you're wrong?

But hey maybe it moves past the laughable abuse of classic Norse mythology and his cliff note browsing and interpretation of Friedrich Nietzsche (wouldn't count on that though, judging by the poor literature rape Lovecraft went through in Eternal Darkness), and maybe it's much better looking than the mishmash of art direction and awful texture and lighting work that is in videos and screens. Maybe it also plays better than a generic RPG-cum-dungeon crawler with action elements, and it's way more rad that anything we should assume. Maybe. But I think if SK's catalog of disasters-shakily-defended-by-console-specific enthusiasts is any indication, it won't be.

Yeah, that's right. MAY BE. So why aren't you confident in betting that the game will not get over an aggregate rating of 60%?

I think the answer is simple...you know you're wrong. You know that the game isn't going to be shit. You know that a lot of people will like the game. You know that this won't be another LAIR or HAZE.

But if he is confident in his product, than we should meet halfway between shitty and great no? 75%-80%? In any events once gamerankings and metacritic became the criteria, I just entered for the lulz because setting his game at HAZE and LAIR and trying to stapple SONYGAF conspiracy to the end was too good to believe.

Because the whole point of this is to prove the guys labelling the game "shit", wrong. Sure, call it childish. I can see why people would consider this childish. But the fact is, the game is being treated unfairly on this forum, trolling the game seems to be sanctioned by the mods, and he apparently doesn't like that.

Man up.

If you're gonna call the game "shit", fucking man up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My fellow Too Human fans. Sons and daughters of Baldr. For ten years, we have been a tortured nation. Shunt, oppressed, and mocked by those we sought to escape. 10 years ago, our marvelous leader, Denis Dyack, asked for more time and some Shakespearean vag jokes, and that time and that suspension of disbelief was granted by you. You, the strength in my Baldr's genetic implants, the holders of Denis' vaguely interesting dreams.

His forefathers, Kojima-sama and Miyamoto-sama, embarked on the greatest endeaver in the history of all mankind-- to create a game with fart jokes for the masses. A fart-joke machine of freedom. Too Human became that freedom. Too Human changed our minds. At first, it weakened us, but in fact, we were growing... more well versed in basic Nietzsche.

In the time you have given Denis, he has rebulit our nation, he has rebuilt out strenth, and he has rebuilt our pride! His enemies, the trolls on the internet, the mean, oppressive Sony-paid moderators at GAF, and Mark McDonald at home have been reeducated. We have given them new insights into our cause. On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those driven to divide us will hear our Shakespearean verse. On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be mocked NO MORE!

Defenders of the Too Human, NOW IS OUR TIME!

I_D

Amir0x said:
haha you must have mistaken me for Denis Dyack, I don't actually care what anyone says

See.... but Dennis Dyack HAS to care what people say, because people are what make him money.

Honestly, if I was a game developer and the hate for the game really was this strong (it's not just GAF that hates it.... it's a lot of forums) I'd try to change things around, rather than just argue.

But again, I have hope for the game. So I'm still for. I won't go anywhere near a purchase until good reviews show up though.

MrDaravon

Puncture said:
WTF is this? Unprofessional? So he needs to be professional when he is here now? :lol As if we would return the favor? Really? REALLY?

Look, I dont like Dyack, and I havent ever liked a game he has made (sorry dude, just being honest) but the bull in this thread has reached an epic level. You guys trying to act like he is some tremendous douche for doing the kind of thing GAF does on a REGULAR is stupid. Let him have his bet, lord knows you all have spent the last 3 freaking years laying in to him and his game. Now he confronts you head on, on your own level (yea....act like you've never seen a Gaf tag bet before, go ahead) and you are suddenly above this immaturity?

Complaining that this thread is some sort of stain on GAF is ridiculous when we get multi paged threads on topics much sillier. Jesus Christ I hope this game pulls something amazing and dethrones OOT or whatever the hell is sitting on top of meta critic and the like just to watch you guys writhe in pain. Who the hell cares if you arent going to buy it, go click on another one of the dozens of topics then.

I'm going to bet For, just to piss you guys off.

I think what you and some other people are completely missing is that 99% of this thread, even the people hating on the game, don't actually care. Having an opinion about something doesn't mean you have a deep personal interest in it. Almost every post I've seen in this thread (not all) commenting on his lack of professionalism or whatnot hasn't been some crazy hater, just someone making an observation. Do I think this is unprofessional of him? Sure. Do I care? Hell no, this is fucking hilarious. Your post is just as bad as any of Amirox's in this thread. Also add all of Fighty's posts to that, holy shit dude :lol :lol

Fuckin' A. You nailed it.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm on the fence about the game itself, but as far as this thread goes, the haters look like idiots right now (Sorry Amirox, I actually think you're a great mod though).

Lair and Haze were pumped up and hyped from the day of their announcements (funnily, I thought the games looked like shit from day one, mooooohahahahaha now who's laughing?) Too Human has been shitcanned for literally years despite it's better than average pedigree.

So using Lair and Haze as examples seems cool to me. Everyone is saying "You're comparing your game to Lair and Haze?" but I bet if these games release at the same time, you'd telling him his game would get owned by both. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and is generally only used as a crutch by those with no balls.

Like I said earlier, a game in development for 10 years to me, doesn't have a great future ahead of it, but I still think it will get average review scores higher than what the negativity on this forum would rather dictate, so good on you Denis.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dyack, you need to realize that people don't want you to fail as much as they want you to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

you talk. A lot. Too much, in fact. And you constantly are hyping your games up as being these wonderfully artistic mergers of the greatest aspects of literature, movies, and games. You try to draw parallels between your games and shakespearean works or some ridiculous crazy hyperbole like that.

Dennis Dyack said:
I hope you can you can see the difference, between this and our previous game (Blood Omen), is that everything is much more coherent, much more brought together. And when you’re playing Eternal Darkness, hopefully the story will flow into the gameplay, and the gameplay will flow into the story, and there’s really this sort of mix. Hopefully it’s more seamless transitions, where you just think, “Oh, what’s happening now? Cool.” You know you don’t have control, because it’s letterboxed, but that’s all you know. Those are the kinds of things we’re trying to get. It is very challenging, but I really think that as game designers, we’re responsible for the content that we create. And because Eternal Darkness (as an example) is a “mature” product, we want through the storytelling and through the gameplay, and through what you’re doing, we want there to be repercussions of your actions, and we really want the player to sort of understand his environment. And if people start learning things like, again going back to the Roman Centurions, what their helmets looked like back then … or going to Angkor Wat with Ellia in Cambodia, those different locations, people will actually look at it and go “Wow, I just actually learned something from that.” That’s very important, because if people are going to play videogames as much as they’re playing, then I think that it’s important that they learn things through osmosis. I personally find that very interesting, and so do a lot of people at Silicon Knights. So that’s what we’re trying to do.

It’s the same sort of Shakespearean analogy, where Shakespeare would write dirty jokes for people in the front rows, cerebral metaphors for the aristocracy in the balconies. What he would try do by doing all of that, is that he would try to reach as many people as possible and touch them, where that’s what we’re hoping to do as well … by the gameplay, the graphics, by combining all these elements. We’re gonna say, hey the average game player is going to want to play this, but the non-average game player, or the person who never plays games, will sit there and look at Eternal Darkness and go, “This is really different. I might check this out.” And that’s what we’re trying to do, is grab them and reach them in. All that together combines into the sort of design philosophy we have.

I mean, I can understand hyping your games up, but good lord. Shakespeare? Are you kidding me?

Dennis, you're the head of a small Canadian studio that has released a grand total of six games in its sixteen years of existence, and only three games in the last twelve years. Two of these games had the supervision of EAD, and they still turned out to be extremely underwhelming. Eternal Darkness was a game, what, five, six years in the making? I enjoyed the game, and would give it maybe an 8 out of 10, but good lord, considering the development time you had, the fact that you had EAD providing supervision, and the amount of crap you spewed out of your mouth about shakespeare and poe and lovecraft, the game was pretty damn flawed, unpolished, and downright boring in sections.

Oh, and the only game you've released since that is a pretty average remake of Metal Gear Solid. Actually, calling it a rerelease with new graphics and audio would be more appropriate than calling it a remake in lieu of games like Resident Evil for the GameCube. And you had both Konami and Nintendo supervising that one.

Now you're releasing a game that has been, what, ten years in the making, that has had innumerable features cut. Yet here you are, still hyping your games up as though you've created a masterpiece, as you were doing with your last original game early this decade.

When guys like Itagaki hype their games up, people don't hate on them about it because:
#1: Itagaki is funny, and you're not.
#2: They don't compare their games to Shakespeare
#3: They don't spend more time talking about their games than their PR departments
#4: They don't care about their reputations on internet message boards
#5: They consistently deliver on their hype
#6: They don't take six years to make games,
#7: This is probably the biggest one of all. They usually don't talk about their games and hype them up frequently in interviews IF THEY'RE NOT SHOWING THEM.

You say "Put Up or Shut up." What you need to do is put up. And please, for once in your life, shut up.

Twig

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
See.... but Dennis Dyack HAS to care what people say, because people are what make him money.
And starting a stupid fucking thread on an internet gaming forum is going to make his game popular before it's even released.

Yes, I see now...

SPEA

Y2Kev said:
My fellow Too Human fans. Sons and daughters of Baldr. For ten years, we have been a tortured nation. Shunt, oppressed, and mocked by those we sought to escape. 10 years ago, our marvelous leader, Denis Dyack, asked for more time and some Shakespearean vag jokes, and that time and that suspension of disbelief was granted by you. You, the strength in my Baldr's genetic implants, the holders of Denis' vaguely interesting dreams.

His forefathers, Kojima-sama and Miyamoto-sama, embarked on the greatest endeaver in the history of all mankind-- to create a game with fart jokes for the masses. A fart-joke machine of freedom. Too Human became that freedom. Too Human changed our minds. At first, it weakened us, but in fact, we were growing... more well versed in basic Nietzsche.

In the time you have given Denis, he has rebulit our nation, he has rebuilt out strenth, and he has rebuilt our pride! His enemies, the trolls on the internet, the mean, oppressive Sony-paid moderators at GAF, and Mark McDonald at home have been reeducated. We have given them new insights into our cause. On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those driven to divide us will hear our Shakespearean verse. On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be mocked NO MORE!

Defenders of the Too Human, NOW IS OUR TIME!
:lol Haha. Amazing.

JoeLang

Honest question.

Give us a few reasons, why the rest of us on GAF, should take your opinion on games seriously to any degree.

Whenever I criticize a game, I always make it a point to back up what I mean. I try to give alternatives, or other ways the issue I have with the game, could be addressed. Sometimes I don't have time to go into detail, but for the great majority of my posts, I try to.

This is because I come from a Computer Science background and thus have a very, very basic understanding of game development, a decent understanding of software development, and a decent knowledge in regards to graphics, audio, AI, physics, and current technologies.

I've also used to do videogame reviews for a major Calgary newspaper. I've played tons of games, good and bad. My analysis of said games went deep, for not only the review itself, but my own understanding of what makes a great game.

When it comes to racing games, hockey games, wrestling games, FPS games, I know my opinion is valued here on this forum. Can you say the same for yourself, especially when talking about action games such as this?

Quote:
The problem is that Denis Dyack himself apparently believes in setting such an astronomically low standard...

Quote:
...for his game that even he isn't confident enough in his product to defend it with anything approaching real risk. What sort of bet is that? I can't exactly blame him. If my game was Too Human, I'd probably be comparing it to the metacritic rankings of ELF BOWLING and call it a day. That's probably the only sure bet. And remember, HE is the one who called for the bet. It is he who has to own up.

"If I am wrong and gamers in general think the game is “crap” then I am comfortable with getting tagged “Owned by the GAF”."

Why do you back-peddle, and now consider anything less than a 90% to be "crap"?

What Dennis is doing here is calling you out. If you're gonna call the game "shit", and repeatedly slag the game in every thread, uphold unfair double standards in regards to trolling for just his game, why don't you man up if it turns out that you're wrong?

Quote:

Yeah, that's right. MAY BE. So why aren't you confident in betting that the game will not get over an aggregate rating of 60%?

I think the answer is simple...you know you're wrong. You know that the game isn't going to be shit. You know that a lot of people will like the game. You know that this won't be another LAIR or HAZE.

Quote:

Because the whole point of this is to prove the guys labelling the game "shit", wrong. Sure, call it childish. I can see why people would consider this childish. But the fact is, the game is being treated unfairly on this forum, trolling the game seems to be sanctioned by the mods, and he apparently doesn't like that.

Man up.

If you're gonna call the game "shit", fucking man up.

applause.gif

I_D

TheOneGuy said:
And starting a stupid fucking thread on an internet gaming forum is going to make his game popular before it's even released.

Yes, I see now...

Well it's too late now to change anything major in the game (or apparently not.... since they can cancel 4-player coop) so this is a pretty retarded move.

However, if it was early in development, then a thread asking what fans would like to see would have been a great idea.

Vish

Banned
Well I am strongly against TH but my expectations are not for the game to literally suck ala Lair, but for the game to not average in the 90's, for it not to be some masterpiece or even that great.

I expect low 80's---a decent or good game. No 90's for TH = bomb to me since that seems to be where the expectations...used to be =P.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
As I said, the problem people have with Dennis is that he rarely puts up, and he NEVER shuts up.

Amir0x

Banned
FightyF said:

Honest question.

Well thanks for your resume FlightyF, but as already established I'm not trying to argue why you guys should care what i say. I'm not Denis Dyack. I don't frankly give a shit, my only point was that from my perspective the only reviewer that matters is myself.

FlightyF said:

There is no way to accurately weigh the opinion of "gamers in general", and as I said once gamerankings and metacritic entered into the discussion with the metric of HAZE AND LAIR I was only here for the lulz. There's no way for me to backpeddle here since I never started peddling.

But for Denis Dyack, who has set this standard, there's no way we're going to mass enforce a bet which is so heavily stacked against once side.

FlightyF said:

What he's doing is whining like a little bitch on a forum. What I was doing was criticizing his catalog of games in threads past, and I have gone into elaborate detail on why games such as Eternal Darkness are atrocious on many occasions. And I've stated why Too Human looks and seems terrible multiple times. One does not need to "man up" to some imagined unfairness to continue doing so.

FlightyF said:

:lol :lol :lol

i like living on the edge...i have no real stake in this bet as i haven't followed the game at all but i'd like to vote AGAINST in the hopes of a new GAF tag and possibly being part of internet history on NeoGAF's Wikipedia page :D

Twig

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
Well it's too late now to change anything major in the game (or apparently not.... since they can cancel 4-player coop) so this is a pretty retarded move.

However, if it was early in development, then a thread asking what fans would like to see would have been a great idea.
Well, yes, but that wouldn't be a "stupid fucking thread", as I put it. That would actually be pretty neat!

But that's NOT what he did. He made an ass of himself, and continues to do so. "Put up or shut up," he says.

IT'S A FUCKING TAG ON A FUCKING VIDEO GAME FORUM. What a tool.

Amirox, he was not whining like a "little bitch". I think you need to go back and read the OP. All he said was that he believes his game is great and calling all the people out who have bashed this game including you. Where is all this whining? Seems to me your whining more than him.

Karish

I came to this thread late, but has this question been asked and discussed?

By what measurement do the "for" people win? I would say above an 76-84% = Draw, 75% or lower = Againsts win, and 85% and up means that the "fors" win.

Tobor

Amirox's potential douchiness aside, I just want a nice lootfest. No more, no less.

As I said way back on page 2, I'm putting my money where my "for" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom