• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Blakero said:
I came to this thread late, but has this question been asked and discussed?

By what measurement do the "for" people win? I would say above an 76-84% = Draw, 75% or lower = Againsts win, and 85% and up means that the "fors" win.

Summary: In the OP Dennis claims this is their best game ever (Eternal Darkness rated a 90.something% or so), but also states that he basically thinks that people won't think that it's "crap." He then later posts and more or less sets the bar at games that were overhyped but sucked ass, Haze and Lair (57%). Then some people say he backpedaled since he said it was their best game ever (indicating it would be over 90%), but then some people said he was referring to it wouldn't be crap (basically saying anything better than 57%). Ultimately no one knows because Dennis is insane, and completely ignored Evilore's charity bet unless I missed something. Now Flighty is trying to run the riot act on Amirox who could care less to justify anything, and most of us are just amused in general.

Sweet, this is like a People's Court intro. Let's Watch.

Blakero said:
I came to this thread late, but has this question been asked and discussed?

By what measurement do the "for" people win? I would say above an 76-84% = Draw, 75% or lower = Againsts win, and 85% and up means that the "fors" win.

Most "good" games muster a score of 80% or more. Its counter intuitive but the industry really works from between 50-100. A game that scores 75-80% is usually mediocre.

sky

sein_out.gif

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kintaro said:
I gotta say though, Denis is a fuckin' genius for this thread. Such awesome PR for the game.
This isn't awesome PR. I think it's incredibly sad that it's come to this. Many of the people in this thread are only anticipating the game for the schadenfreude.

Flavius

akachan ningen said:
You give him too much credit. Didn't you listen to his interview on egm live? The guy is obviously clueless.

Yes, I did. It was embarrassing.

It was worse when he popped in here afterwards and started picking fights with the 1up guys, including Skip and Luke.

That said, you don't have to be intelligent to be a pretty damn effective manipulator, and I'd say that about sums up the situation here. If you know the history of SK and their relationship with the internet community, this thread isn't surprising in the least.

FightyF

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well thanks for your resume FlightyF, but as already established I'm not trying to argue why you guys should care what i say. I'm not Denis Dyack. I don't frankly give a shit, my only point was that from my perspective the only reviewer that matters is myself.

Hey, that's a great point. The only reviewer that matters is yourself. I completely agree there.

But what is happening here is that I can't use that as a defense to go into any other thread for any other game here, and call it "shit".

What is also happening is that you're basing your decision before even playing the game for yourself.

Which means you are quite confident that it will be "shit".

So...why not accept Dennis's bet?

There is no way to accurately weigh the opinion of "gamers in general", and as I said once gamerankings and metacritic entered into the discussion with the metric of HAZE AND LAIR I was only here for the lulz. There's no way for me to backpeddle here since I never started peddling.

You started "peddling" when you criticized the metric of HAZE and LAIR. Why do you have a problem with that, if you think the game is "shit"? This is all I'm saying here.

But for Denis Dyack, who has set this standard, there's no way we're going to mass enforce a bet which is so heavily stacked against once side.

Why not reach a compromise? Why not moderate threads on an equal basis?

What he's doing is whining like a little bitch on a forum. What I was doing was criticizing his catalog of games in threads past, and I have gone into elaborate detail on why games such as Eternal Darkness are atrocious on many occasions. And I've stated why Too Human looks and seems terrible multiple times. One does not need to "man up" to some imagined unfairness to continue doing so.

So you're going to walk away from the bet...

Fine. It just tells us how confident you, and all the other haters are, in their opinion. As I said, you all know you're wrong.

:lol :lol :lol

Heh, I know deep down you're in tears here.

The fact that you label my quotes as "FlightyF"....wow, that's original. What a diss man. It doesn't even make sense, but hey, you gotta add that little twist to the name of the guy you're arguing with because it makes yourself feel better...somehow.

The funny thing is that I don't care for this game. I think GaimeGuy made an excellent point about having a guy being very vocal about the game and developers sometimes need to just shut up.

But I've posted on this forum since it's inception (well, just around the time it was renamed to "Gaming-Age"), it's been 10 years (I know, I'm an addict), and to see certain games getting openly trolled and such trolling is condoned by certain mods...it's disappointing to see.

I think it's admirable for Evilore to bring charities into this, but on the other hand, it's hypocritical to label the game as shit, and then when you are called out on it, you set a high standard that has to be met.

A summary of this entire situation:
GAF mods: Game is gonna be shit, troll to your hearts content guys
Dyack: It's not going to be shit. If it is, change my tag
GAF mods: Ok, the deal is the game has to be STELLAR, if not you have to donate $1000.

That's not manning up to what you guys have been saying. For years and years you're calling the game "shit"...so man up and accept what you've said, stick by what you've said, and bet $1000 (proceeds going to charity of course) that the game will be "shit".

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
einhard said:
You can never have too much negative press am i rite guys?

As much as I'm not seeing the potential in the game, negative press is better than no press. Besides, IF his game delivers, he just pwned GAF creating more press.

JoeBroni

Neo Member
There is no way to accurately weigh the opinion of "gamers in general", and as I said once gamerankings and metacritic entered into the discussion with the metric of HAZE AND LAIR I was only here for the lulz. There's no way for me to backpeddle here since I never started peddling.

"back-pedal"

JoeLang

It was worse when he popped in here afterwards and started picking fights with the 1up guys, including Skip and Luke.

That said, you don't have to be intelligent to be a pretty damn effective manipulator, and I'd say that about sums up the situation here. If you know the history of SK and their relationship with the internet community, this thread isn't surprising in the least.

You obviously don't remember the thread Flavius. I suggest you go back and read it over.

If you don't want to, here's the cliffs notes:

Luke gets panties in a bunch that IGN has exclusive Too Human reveal thinking it because of EGM podcast. Says sarcastic mumbo jumbo to Dyack.

Dyack says 1up knew about IGN exclusive well before podcast.

Skip and Luke put tail between legs and exit.

SailorDaravon said:
Now Flighty is trying to run the riot act on Amirox who could care less to justify anything, and most of us are just amused in general.

Sweet, this is like a People's Court intro. Let's Watch.

COULDN'T care less, is the one you're after.

Why do so many posters use could care less? There's no such thing. Another one...Addicting. There's no such word, the word is ADDICTIVE.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
JoeLang said:
You obviously don't remember the thread Flavius. I suggest you go back and read it over.

Luke gets panties in a bunch that IGN has exclusive reveal thinking it because of EGM podcast. Says sarcastic mumbo jumbo to Dyack.

Thread still available to see?

einhard

Kintaro said:
As much as I'm not seeing the potential in the game, negative press is better than no press. Besides, IF his game delivers, he just pwned GAF creating more press.
Im sure the 12 - 16 demographic is loving this, everyone else is just watching a train wreck in progress.

einhard said:
Im sure the 12 - 16 demographic is loving this, everyone else is just watching a train wreck in progress.

Previous Too Human threads have been the worst examples of forum hive mind ever to grace the internet. This thread is heading for a collision course but at least there are two sides here.

Flavius

JoeLang said:

Luke gets panties in a bunch that IGN has exclusive Too Human reveal thinking it because of EGM podcast. Says sarcastic mumbo jumbo to Dyack.

Originally Posted by LukeSmith: :lol

I am really looking forward to having a face to face with you.

Moving on, I hope everyone likes what they see.
Denis.

Wow. You are correct. I was completely off the mark there.

Amir0x

Banned
FightyF said:
Hey, that's a great point. The only reviewer that matters is yourself. I completely agree there.

But what is happening here is that I can't use that as a defense to go into any other thread for any other game here, and call it "shit".

What is also happening is that you're basing your decision before even playing the game for yourself.

Which means you are quite confident that it will be "shit".

So...why not accept Dennis's bet?

Ok I think there's still a problem here with intent.

My point is that this bet is stupid and makes Denis look childish, and that his further clarification makes the bet even more retarded.

For however shitty I think his games are, it really doesn't matter. I am telling Denis my opinion, and others like mine, mean shit. He's trying to give them some importance that they do not have, and he's looking even more silly with his SonyGAFLOL conspiracies and bets.

FightyF said:
Why not reach a compromise? Why not moderate threads on an equal basis?

At the end of the post you quoted, I specifically said 75-80% is a good compromise number. In between the shit and the great. The bet is no less fucking ridiculous, but it would at least take some form of value if he would accept the charity bet.

FightyF said:
So you're going to walk away from the bet...

Fine. It just tells us how confident you, and all the other haters are, in their opinion. As I said, you all know you're wrong.

Again: :lol

FightyF said:
Heh, I know deep down you're in tears here.

The fact that you label my quotes as "FlightyF"....wow, that's original. What a diss man. It doesn't even make sense, but hey, you gotta add that little twist to the name of the guy you're arguing with because it makes yourself feel better...somehow.

Haha. Timeout, genuinely, for some reason I consciously was writing FlightyF and that was how I was reading it in my head too. I was not meaning it to be a "diss". :lol I used to make a similar mistake re: DrinkyCow/DrinkyCrow

Tmac

I've never seen any media about this game (video, trailer, etc), but because of this tread ill check some trailers lol.

(I just jumped in with a next gen console)

barnacles

Banned
Flavius said:
Denis The Puppetmaster: Yes. Ohhhhhh, yes! Dance my pretties! DANCE!!! Muahahahahahahahaha...

Denis to GAF:

Yes! That's it you stumblebum puppets! Your whole life is just one long series of Jedi Mind Tricks(TM)! Just keep on flipping me off and taking your little leaks in my bowl of chocolatey cocopuffs! Your tiny brains can't even begin to imagine that you have no choice in the matter for it is I DENIS DYACK who pulls your strings!

Roll your eyes at me and sneer oh marionettes! Mock my game! Make fun of my Mom! Kick out your little Howdy Doody legs in pointless displays of your e-fury! But know, oh wooden myrmidons, that at the end of the day, it is I, DENIS DYACK who am in control of your every movement! You are ALL merely mindless pawns set in motion by my brilliant master stratagem to insult and degrade my own life's work INDIRECTLY! For what good is a game if it is not DROWNING in controversey, ginned up by the irresistable manipulations of my unseen tendrils!

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
This thread is hilarious.:lol :lol :lol

No game has gotten the treatment Too Human has, although the next Banjo game could come close.

The use of Lair (Mega Hyped) & Haze (Inexplicably Hyped) by Dennis is obviously because his game has been compared to those masterpieces in numerous GAF threads. If certain Mods cannot see that, then they are truly blind to what goes on in Too Human threads, despite the fact that they are often those leading the charge against the game.

I'm somewhat interested in game, but because of the treatment it has received here and elsewhere...
FOR

Speevy

Banned
Yes, Denis Dyack is a marketing genius. The 12 people who bought Eternal Darkness are surely aware that Too Human's release is imminent.

FightyF

Banned
Amir0x said:
Ok I think there's still a problem here with intent.

My point is that this bet is stupid and makes Denis look childish, and that his further clarification makes the bet even more retarded.

For however shitty I think his games are, it really doesn't matter. I am telling Denis my opinion, and others like mine, mean shit. He's trying to give them some importance that they do not have, and he's looking even more silly with his SonyGAFLOL conspiracies and bets.

I think your opinion weighs heavily into this because it is partially responsible for turning Too Human threads into shit-fests.

At the end of the post you quoted, I specifically said 75-80% is a good compromise number. In between the shit and the great. The bet is no less fucking ridiculous, but it would at least take some form of value if he would accept the charity bet.

You actually implied the bet was not enforcable, nevermind the terms. Again, what is wrong with moderating threads equally?

Again: :lol

So you seem pretty confident that you are right...so I say:

-Accept the bet.
-Set the line for "crap" to anything less than say, 60% (which is on par with other crap games such as LAIR and HAZE).
-If the game falls below that, the game is indeed "crap" and he pays $1000 to a charity GAF chooses. If not, GAF pays (through funds raised by us posters) to a charity of his choice.

I mean, you're all laughter here, you're confident that you are right...what's the harm in accepting his bet?

His rules are perfectly fitting as for years GAF mods have called it crap, and condoned people trolling in TH threads.

Haha. Timeout, genuinely, for some reason I consciously was writing FlightyF and that was how I was reading it in my head too. I was not meaning it to be a "diss". :lol I used to make a similar mistake re: DrinkyCow/DrinkyCrow

I do that often so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

X26

Banned
People are really exaggerating any sort of impact this thread and the mentions on various gaming sites has

Impact on reviews: none

Impact on sales: none

Impact on GAF: lulz

Hell this thread hasn't even been about TH for awhile, now it's just thinly veiled console warzz consisting of the usual suspects, with TH somehow representing the 360 as a whole to fanboys on both sides

Flavius

JoeLang said:
Do you have the attention span of a squirrel? The exchange was obviously longer numb nuts.

I read it all long, long ago.

But please, don't let that stop you from culling through that long ass thread in some sad attempt at justifying his actions.

Just let me cue up the Michael Jackson eating popcorn animated gif here...ah, yes...and we're all set.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Amir0x said:
Nah, the bet is brilliant. The majority of the Fors won't be willing to back down from that position and it will guarantee the game some level of positive reception because they'll be more likely to rationalize in the games favor, whether it deserves it or not.

Anyone done a tally on the Fors and Against in this thread?

Cheerilee

Gattsu25 said:
Have the mods even agreed to the bet? What the fuck are the stakes again? You don't post here, so why the hell should you care what your tag says?
There seems to be no shortage of people willing to sign up without knowing the terms or rules or even having GAF approval.

Here's my thought. Make it a permaban bet. If TH scores 91% or higher, everyone officially in the hater camp (including any mods) gets banned, and Denis gets a forum that he might actually feel comfortable posting in. If TH scores 56% or lower, Denis and all his followers get banned, which would remove his protection from personal insults (since GAF members aren't allowed to insult each other). Anything from 57-90% resolves nothing, so life goes on as usual. Maybe make a compromise point for some tag changes.

GAF could use a good culling.

barnacles said:
Denis to GAF:

Yes! That's it you stumblebum puppets! Your whole life is just one long series of Jedi Mind Tricks(TM)! Just keep on flipping me off and taking your little leaks in my bowl of chocolatey cocopuffs! Your tiny brains can't even begin to imagine that you have no choice in the matter for it is I DENIS DYACK who pulls your strings!

Roll your eyes at me and sneer oh marionettes! Mock my game! Make fun of my Mom! Kick out your little Howdy Doody legs in pointless displays of your e-fury! But know, oh wooden myrmidons, that at the end of the day, it is I, DENIS DYACK who am in control of your every movement! You are ALL merely mindless pawns set in motion by my brilliant master stratagem to insult and degrade my own life's work INDIRECTLY! For what good is a game if it is not DROWNING in controversey, ginned up by the irresistable manipulations of my unseen tendrils!
jiyj2r.jpg

Here's my thought. Make it a permaban bet. If TH scores 91% or higher, everyone officially in the hater camp (including any mods) gets banned, and Denis gets a forum that he might actually feel comfortable posting in. If TH scores 56% or lower, Denis and all his followers get banned, which would remove his protection from personal insults (since GAF members aren't allowed to insult each other). Anything from 57-90% resolves nothing, so life goes on as usual. Maybe make a compromise point for some tag changes.

Have you gone insane, boy? That would mean banning half the people who posted in this thread!

I RIKE IT!

Flavius

barnacles said:
Denis to GAF:

Needs more editing (how many attempts have you made so far?).

I see your response as something of an allegory for my current feelings on Too Human. Started off with a great deal of promise, then it started looking a little shitty, then it got interesting again, and now I don't know where the fuck it's all headed.

Perdew

FightyF said:
Hey, you might want to check on the history of this game on this forum before making yourself look like ass (again).

Sorry to be late, this moves fast.

So, you picked one sarcastic comment from my recent post history and think that makes me look like an ass? Against Mortal Kombat vs DC? Realllly?

Anyway, I'm willing to be reasonable here. He came here to make a bet. I first put forward my position on the game (I'll buy it if it's good, and I haven't really even considered purchasing many next gen titles including Gears and Halo, etc.) so reviews will heavily influence me here.

Then the thread pushed on to take a side, 'put up or shut up'.

I picked against, since I think he's lying, and that it won't be as well received as Eternal Darkness. So I pit him against my personal favorite game this year on the 360, albeit an arcade release, Ikaruga HD. See my icon? I represent it fine. So I pulled up the metacritic score, an 88, and laid out my conditions clearly, which Denis has yet to do.

Then he pulls this bullshit, saying that if we 'AIM to high' we are 'showing our true colors'. That is 100% back-pedaling, and that's nothing you or anyone should be defending. I have hopes that it will be a great game, I'd love to see it play out well so I finally have a decent next gen experience not involving 'just guns' (DMC4 let me down).

So, I made him a fair proposal, but he's obviously trying to bait the mods, so it's pointless defending or going against him. When Evilore wanted to make this something that would be fun and beneficial (a charitable bet... that's a pretty friendly endeavor honestly, even at $1,000), Denis ignored him and brought up that we can compare his game in some fashion to Lair and Haze? And not Eternal Darkness? Fuck that noise, yo.

fearlessidiot

Neo Member
Wow, i say against, just because Dennis reminds me of Jeff Bell right now, no doubt this is going to be a great game, but does the personal opinion of the developer really reflect how the game holds up? I don't think so. And Fuck am I late to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom