• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 Most Popular PlayStation Games in Each Country in 2023

Ogbert

You sir, are part of the problem 😞
Oh stop being such a drama Queen.

I’ve been playing video games for nearly 40 years. I have no problem bemoaning the state of the industry. FIFA is fucking awful. Diablo 4 sucks balls and CoD is on life support.

But Fortnite is an objectively excellent game. It’s fun, colourful and inventive. The controls are tight and it’s a sandbox world is continuously reinventing itself. It’s also welcoming for kids and people learning to play games. The Battlepass isn’t intrusive or necessary.

RickMasters

Is anybody really surprised? MP games always have exponentially better player retention than SP games. but wow..... not a single 1st party exclusive in sight......

you see why sony are chasing that GAAS money so hard. The way epic, activision, etc. can keep charging players for stuff you can easily get more out of them than a single up front cost of a game. Id bet most fortnight players have spent more than the cost of a game at retail plus DLC on fortnight. And I wonder how many of those COD players buy battle passes every month?...and then buy COD again at the end of the year...and then buy yet more battle passes....thats an insane amount of money...and lets not forget the skins! jeez! nah....I just couldnt do it... sure even on COD and halo and a few other games Ive bought the odd skin, but once I got my character (just give me blue-arctic or grey-urban camo- and a cool looking helmet and im good to go) and weapons looking how I want I dont go buying anything else. would rather spend the money on another game, or an expansion for a a game I like (cyberpunk and ESO:eek:nline come to mind, and they have been totally worth it)

to me the best kind of DLC is stuff that expands the game. new areas, new stories, new stuff. that feels like better value for money than over priced skin packs that cost more than a descent indie game.

Microsoft looking at this list.

".... Buy EA...."

Honestly it shows how important call of duty is to PlayStation and more reason why the deal is bullshit in that regard. They take call of duty away and PlayStation loses a huge gap in their portfolio. Let's see how the go about plugging it.
Playstation is save for the coming 10 years...CoD however...🤔

Why there are always the same threads on resetera and here? It look like a clone.

On the other hand a laugh at people saying that playstation sells because of it's exclusive games lol.
What's with the thread whining lol? I legit wanted to make this thread since yesterday when I originally saw the regional gaming trends on the PS website, but I just couldn't be arsed to spend the time to manually collect the info for each country from that interactive map. In the meantime, someone else did it for me so good on them as it made my "job" easier lol.

Anyway, Happy New Year!

P.S. I hope you won't start complaining about Reddit and Twitter/X next since I'm using content found on these platforms as well. :p

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No wonder Sony’s funneling money away from single player campaigns, and towards GaaS multiplayer.

Honestly, it's been one of the most fascinating mass formation psychoses I've ever seen. Ignoring how popular multiplayer has become by gamers obsessed with this industry has been very bizarre to watch.

Wulfer

It's sad none of these young gamers will ever experience system link or split screen gaming. Some my best friend interactions happen to be gaming in the same room! You can't top trash talking to someone face to face with online gaming! (even on screen video doesn't top it!)

Last edited:

Mowcno

Japan is the only country where all three of the top played games are digital only and f2p titles. Had no idea they loved Apex

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Honestly, it's been one of the most fascinating mass formation psychoses I've ever seen. Ignoring how popular multiplayer has become by gamers obsessed with this industry has been very bizarre to watch.

The younger generation of players are leading the charge on this. I think at some point AAA will be almost entirely GaaS, so people better start appreciating the indies. They’re going to continue to be the ones that deliver the solo experiences

Killjoy-NL

They are.

And Fortnite is incredible. As a dad of three young boys, it’s amazing how much fun they get out of the game. Inventive, exciting and open to all.
People are just salty because their favorite games didn't make the lists.

These results are pretty much no-brainers.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
GoW:R and HFW were in the top 10 in sales last year in the US. If it was only ever about the top three games then Xbox would be neck and neck with PlayStation since all those games are on Xbox as well. So while I don't think it is correct to say exclusives are the reason PS5 sells, seems obvious that exclusives do have an impact.

Xbox would win since Xbox now owns one those games on almost every top 3, plus Diablo was on one of the lists. So, 2 Xbox games zero Sony games.

aclar00

Oh stop being such a drama Queen.

I’ve been playing video games for nearly 40 years. I have no problem bemoaning the state of the industry. FIFA is fucking awful. Diablo 4 sucks balls and CoD is on life support.

But Fortnite is an objectively excellent game. It’s fun, colourful and inventive. The controls are tight and it’s a sandbox world is continuously reinventing itself. It’s also welcoming for kids and people learning to play games. The Battlepass isn’t intrusive or necessary.
I was being a bit facetious...ive personally not played it as the intricacies of the building stuff just doest appeal to me....felt the same way when COD started adding super jumps and other unnecessary stuff IMO.

As a parent myself though, i do bemoan the microtransactions and customizable obsessions GaaS games create. While not a personal issue, ive witness a few crazies whose parent let them run rampant with Robux and V-bucks, etc...

But, you can also call me a fundy duddy and with that said, given my traditional outlook on games, i dont wont GaaS becoming the predominant way to play.

PaintTinJr

CoD and Fornite being in the lists makes sense IMO because they are at the top of what they do respectively.

What is so off is that eFootball(PES) is so unbelievably better than Fifa/EA FC and plays second fiddle by such a margin. If eFootball was in the list all would make sense IMO. I signed El Diego(Maradona) at age 23 for free over Christmas and he's such a great in-game approximation of the real legend I really do scratch my head at anyone being a real football fan and buying Fifa/EA FC when eFootball(PES) is still so amazing and completely free. In a football mad world how is F2P eFootball not the most played game on PlayStation?

Barlow

CoD and Fornite being in the lists makes sense IMO because they are at the top of what they do respectively.

What is so off is that eFootball(PES) is so unbelievably better than Fifa/EA FC and plays second fiddle by such a margin. If eFootball was in the list all would make sense IMO. I signed El Diego(Maradona) at age 23 for free over Christmas and he's such a great in-game approximation of the real legend I really do scratch my head at anyone being a real football fan and buying Fifa/EA FC when eFootball(PES) is still so amazing and completely free. In a football mad world how is F2P eFootball not the most played game on PlayStation?
Nothing new people care more about licenses/names than other stuff since decades.

PaintTinJr

Nothing new people care more about licenses/names than other stuff since decades.
Yeah, which is why I think the list could be interesting next year. Even more interesting if Sony decided to cut EA adrift - which they won't - and buy Konami and then agreed to pay Fifa the cut that EA declined to publish it under the Fifa branding. PlayStation making peace with the MLB licensing requirements to do it on Xbox indicates it would be a workable possibility, but unless EA are positioning closer to Xbox like Ubisoft did in the acquisition of ATVI, I suspect we'll continue to see only two of the top three MP games on PlayStation in most regions be there on merit. Shame really, as eFootball is peerless IMO - going by how well the likes of Cole Palmer was playing in the game before he was properly recognised in recent weeks/months as a great new talent.

yazenov

Rankings are based on total hours played across PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles between 1st January 2023 and 30th November 2023.

The title is misleading. The ranking is based on hours played, therefore, GAAS / multiplayer games will top the charts. More like the top 3 engagement charts. 💍 🖖

The only anomaly is Eldern rings in Korea which is pleasantly surprising.

Last edited:
No exclusives: people buy consoles to play third party mainstream games. And besides, there's no exclusive online title worth investing into.

On the other hand a laugh at people saying that playstation sells because of its exclusive games lol
aren't those games on Xbox as well?
Confused Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Zug

Fifa games have been best sellers since the 90's, so this is not surprising.
A lot of console players only buy their annual FIFA and COD (and GTA every 10 years), for a lot of them, it's the only thing they'll ever play, and it's been this way for a long time.

yazenov

No exclusives: people buy consoles to play third party mainstream games. And besides, there's no exclusive online title worth investing into.
Then why are people buying a PS5 to play these game when they could buy a Series S for pocket changed?

Last edited:
Then why are people buying a PS5 to play these game when they could buy a Series S for pocket changed?
Brand recognition (it's the hottest and more powerful toy), and friends. You play where your friends / family are. In some countries that's PS by default.

Most sales come from mainstream gamers, who don't give a damn about the great first party games all three produce.

Top Bottom