• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

FACE

Banned
I was gonna go with that, but this one was too much of a headturner to ignore. Definitely want to get more people checking out the franchise.

GAF seems to have a disproportionate amount of Total War players relative to the actual fanbase/amount of people playing it.

I think most gaffers primarily game on a console, which would explain the lack of interest.

Can't wait to see how my GTX 690 will handle this.Hopefully I can run on high or something.

pC8jf5t4eWCDKcMu.jpg

Zafir

Zavvi surprisingly shipped my copy yesterday, with a bit of luck I should get it by release. Depends on the postal service I suppose.

Martian

Ordered it, even though I most likely will not be able to play in on any other setting than lowest.

Saw some pictures of the game on Reddit by people that already had theirs shipped to them. The box looks great and apparently also has a flip-cover (which I love about boxed games)

Theandrin

I like that they allowed us to preload the game on steam, but I feel it is taunting me right now by being preloaded but now allowing me to play it.

Only a few more days, must stay strong.

Necrovex

Seems like the best place to ask. Will someone play coop with me for Shogun 2? I really want to learn how to play this series. Loved Rome 1 and Shogun 1, but I have been away for such a long time. Plus I never really learned how to play the game. When my friend taught me Sins of a Solar Empire, I adored that game. I want the same with this series!

Martian

Seems like the best place to ask. Will someone play coop with me for Shogun 2? I really want to learn how to play this series. Loved Rome 1 and Shogun 1, but I have been away for such a long time. Plus I never really learned how to play the game. When my friend taught me Sins of a Solar Empire, I adored that game. I want the same with this series!

Perhaps its a good idea to tell us where you live (if you live in the US people from Europe cant easily play with you and vice versa).

I am excited for this game, just hoping that they bring the ''impact'' factor back from games before Shogun 2. I feel the units in Shogun 2 were too easily killed, and therefore I never really had a connection with my troops.
Whereas in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 I actually felt like there was a massive clash between troops

Gaz_RB

Perhaps its a good idea to tell us where you live (if you live in the US people from Europe cant easily play with you and vice versa).

I am excited for this game, just hoping that they bring the ''impact'' factor back from games before Shogun 2. I feel the units in Shogun 2 were too easily killed, and therefore I never really had a connection with my troops.
Whereas in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 I actually felt like there was a massive clash between troops

I'm excited to be Sparta and have a few units last for a while and get really attached to them. I wish this game can out yesterday so we could enjoy the long weekend

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Very nice OT.

I have some concerns with what we know about the game, but hopefully mods will take care of most of the issues. No doubt Rome II will still be my GOTY.

Lingitiz

viking hat and beard
medieval viking 3 confirmed!
edit: forgot we already had 2 ^^

still not a fan of the unit cards
maybe juts a matter of getting used to them but they seem excessively big

Yeah me either, and the general sentiment seems to be pretty negative on them. Mods to replace them will likely be made pretty quickly.

Some background history for you all:

"[...] After this it was customary to serve in the army for a year; one might then join the staff of a governor. Caesar served in the east from 80 to 78. When he was sent to Nicomedes, the king of the Bithynians, to take over a naval squadron, he is said to have shared the king's bed. Throughout his life this episode furnished his opponents and his soldiers with matter for ribald jokes. For pederasty enjoyed no esteem in Rome. It was widespread (though not to the same extent as among the Greeks), but even more widespread were the reproaches - or at least innuendoes - that it attracted. During Caesar's triumph after the Gallic War, the public sang:

Caesar screwed the whole of Gaul, Nicomedes Caesar.
See now, Caesar rides in triumph, after screwing Gaul.
Nicomedes does not triumph, though he screwed our Caesar."

I lol'ed so hard.

im from europe and want to play coop shogun 2

Herne

Been going crazy waiting for this game, and with only three days to go it's only getting worse. Preloaded and ready to go. Carthage shall rule the seas and put Rome down for the dog it is!

Roma delenda est!

Martian

The first thing I'll do is probably screw around in custom battles (no actual fighting involved) and checking out all the new units.

Then a round of playing as Rome and that will probably keep me busy for 50 hours:D

Martian

What was the rationale behind one turn per year? first Ive heard of it

Same as Rome 1 I guess.
Rome is supposed (set roughly in) the period between the second punic war and 0 AD

Medieval is twice that many years (1100-1500)so that gets 1,5 year/turn.

I believe they go for 200 turns a game. Shorter than that is too short, longer is too long

Same as Rome 1 I guess.
Rome is supposed (set roughly in) the period between the second punic war and 0 AD

Medieval is twice that many years (1100-1500)so that gets 1,5 year/turn.

I believe they go for 200 turns a game. Shorter than that is too short, longer is too long

Yup, I'd imagine that's the reason. I believe the attrition mechanic has been kept, but it's now tied to location/terrain rather than seasons.

Dawg

Just wanna say you did a very good job on this OP, Lingitiz.

Happy to see you ended up making it, despite having to start a bit late etc because I forgot about the release date :)

So yeah, congratulations with your first OT.

Lingitiz

Just wanna say you did a very good job on this OP, Lingitiz.

Happy to see you ended up making it, despite having to start a bit late etc because I forgot about the release date :)

So yeah, congratulations with your first OT.
Thanks! I was lucky Quick did the graphics.

It was a good chance to see all the changes in the game over Shogun 2. Definitely excited to see how campaigns play out with new the army limits.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What was the rationale behind one turn per year? first Ive heard of it

They determined through telemetry that 300 turns was the "sweet" spot for a campaign, and since 300 years adequately covers the history of the Roman Republic and a bit beyond, 1tpy made the most sense. But that comes with its own issues. I would rather have 4tpy where the seasons go through a natural progression, movement ranges are more realistic, and characters don't age so quickly.

Same as Rome 1 I guess.

Vanilla RTW had two turns per year, summer and winter.

Almighty

I just want to chime in that I hate the idea of 1 year turns as well. Hopefully it will be easy to mod like it was in past Total War titles.

diamount

Banned
Are all factions unlocked at the start? Because in the first game you had to conquer them first before they became available IIRC.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna go with that, but this one was too much of a headturner to ignore. Definitely want to get more people checking out the franchise.

GAF seems to have a disproportionate amount of Total War players relative to the actual fanbase/amount of people playing it.

Personally, I still haven't played much of Shogun 2 even after installing it, so I'm going to pass on Rome 2 for the moment.

Zushin

I've only played Shogun 2, but really enjoyed it so I'll grab Rome 2. Question: do other Total War games and/or Rome 2 have a mechanic similar to Realm Divide? I felt this was annoying in Shogun 2 as it undermined your diplomatic efforts a little too much.

Top Bottom