• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Inversive

What is the first faction you guys are gonna play as? I'm gonna check out the unit rosters in custom battle first and if there's a faction with a really interesting roster i'll play as them otherwise the Romans. I need to think up suitably nerdy names for my legions too!

patapuf

What is the first faction you guys are gonna play as? I'm gonna check out the unit rosters in custom battle first and if there's a faction with a really interesting roster i'll play as them otherwise the Romans. I need to think up suitably nerdy names for my legions too!

Romans. They may be the boring choice but their versatility has always been very appealing to me.

That and I get to screw over the senate.

Risgroo

It's got to be Rome, so I can name all my legions "THIRTEEN!"

tmespe

I'll go with the Romans for my first playthrough. Then I'm gonna go with Carthage and crush Rome like they should have done.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Will try a H/H Rome campaign first. Hopefully by the time I've gotten my fill of that, there will be a Dacian/Thracian faction DLC out.

Martian

Definitely a Roman campaign first. Ill be writing history with my elite legions that conquered the Mediterannean, Greek peninsula and Gaul.

My enemies will tremble when they hear what I do to my adversaries and no one will dare oppose me to become the Dictator Rome needs.

Ceebs

Looking forward to really diving into this one. I have played the other Total War games a bit, but never really dived in to really understand everything. (as a result I have always been awful at them)

After tackling CK2 and EU4 I feel up to the challenge this time.

Kainazzo

I was thinking of doing Parthia first since they're the closest to the Seleucids, but with them eventually coming I might hold off. There was a forum poll and almost nobody was interested in the Arveni, so I may play them. I never once played a campaign as a barbarian faction in Rome 1.

Plus, I'm pretty interested in seeing the "what if?" barbarian techs. Wonder how their cities, roads, and elite units will be. Proto-knights? With barbarian confederacies too, could I actually form Gaul? I don't think they've spoken much on that.

TheGeneral86

Neo Member
Preloaded and ready to go. I'm tempted to try Sparta but you can't play Rome TW without trying Rome (might break me in easier). Last TW I liked was MTW2 with SS mod playing as Templar Knights. Tried Empire and Shogun 2 but just couldn't get into it. Have high hopes for this one. Will be playing on i5 2500k at 4.5ghz , amd 3gb 7970 , 8gb ram

danthefan

I'll go with the Romans for my first playthrough. Then I'm gonna go with Carthage and crush Rome like they should have done.

That is exactly what I am going to do. Was going to go with Carthage first but you just have to go for Rome first.

Lingitiz

Addressing the region locking mentioned in the OP, I'll add that while retail subs for the game are indeed region-locked (here's what appears to be the RU/CIS retail sub, for instance -- note the onlyallowrunincountries flag), there's just the one universal pre-order sub for the Steam store, so it's completely region-free, meaning purchasing a copy from traders for ~$35 is a valid option:

Steam AU:
rome2_steamau6gabg.jpg

Steam RU:
rome2_steamru92xx8.jpg

The sub:

Thanks for looking into this, I added it to the OP. Definitely a great option considering the $60 retail price. Trades wouldn't include the prepurchase bonus right?

isual

Romans first, then spartans, then whatever feel like

SCIPIO AFRICANUSSSSSSS

I have an inkling that the 'realm divide' will be the 2 other factions ganking up on you if you're roman.

not sure if I want to play the tutorial, may just drop into the grand campain

Ok, so I have always enjoyed Total War games even though I always felt like a kid playing an adult game.

The first Rome Total War game is my favorite, so I want Rome II badly and already have it pre-loaded, but I was wondering if with this game they were able to streamline the game without dumbing it down like Civ 5 did.

I want to understand better how every facet of it works and again, Civ 5 did a really good job at explaining what pretty mcuh everything did and their repercussions/consequences.

Can anyone help me with that? Or is there a wiki that explains these things to weak players of the game?

Lingitiz

Ok, so I have always enjoyed Total War games even though I always felt like a kid playing an adult game.

The first Rome Total War game is my favorite, so I want Rome II badly and already have it pre-loaded, but I was wondering if with this game they were able to streamline the game without dumbing it down like Civ 5 did.

I want to understand better how every facet of it works and again, Civ 5 did a really good job at explaining what pretty mcuh everything did and their repercussions/consequences.

Can anyone help me with that? Or is there a wiki that explains these things to weak players of the game?
Check the OP. There's a bunch of various tutorial links/vids. They've added a couple of various tweaks to change the pace of the game and make managing certain things less tedious. For example, you can manage all cities in the region from one menu in the capital's management page, whereas before you would have to individually click each city without being able to quickly compare what nearby cities had. This should make specializing much easier to manage.

Kainazzo

Even though I'm a Total War veteran, I'd still recommend going through the tutorial campaign, if only to see what's changed without poring through the encyclopedia. I'll have to get used to direct-to-army recruitment.

With mods coming, I hope it's only a matter of time before we see a Warhammer 40k voice pack. FOR THE EMP-ER-OR!

Lingitiz

Even though I'm a Total War veteran, I'd still recommend going through the tutorial campaign, if only to see what's changed without poring through the encyclopedia. I'll have to get used to direct-to-army recruitment.

With mods coming, I hope it's only a matter of time before we see a Warhammer 40k voice pack. FOR THE EMP-ER-OR!

And then the upcoming (I assume) Total Warhammer....

Unity2012

Nice OT! Great job.

Cannot wait for Tuesday. Medieval TW was my last TW game... never tried Shogun TW, it didn't capture my attention in spite of looking good.

I am glad they brought back ROME to TW games.

Rome-2-Fireballs1-610x346.jpg

BTW, The Cinematic Cam in this game looks amazing!

I need to brush up on my TW skills. I re-installed Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai and have been getting whupped by the 'normal' AI. That's never happened before :0

Necrovex

I need to brush up on my TW skills. I re-installed Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai and have been getting whupped by the 'normal' AI. That's never happened before :0

Once I re-finish Alpha Protocol, I'll probably give Shogun 2 another chance. Going to play it on easy, and try to figure out the mechanics. I started to listen to the Hardcore History mini-series, Death Throes of the Republic. Each time I listen to it, my lust for Rome 2 rises.

bamboobimbo

Neo Member
I've been watching a few documentaries on Rome over the last few days. There's actually quite a few transferable things to be learnt, such as formations, proper use of certain unit types e.t.c

Anyway, I came across this image which shows a few formations that should be of use to anyone planning on playing as Rome! As far as I can see, these should all work effectively in the Rome 2 engine! Might be a bit of a pain to micro-manage though...

Mpl-frm-variations.png

Twinduct

Gah, watching videos all day swayed me :/
Bought and preloading.

Btw for anyone wanting to watch a fun Shogun 2 'Let's Play' series, would recommend Volound's Shogun 2's Otomo campaign. He plays on legendary and plays damn aggressively.

Really fun to see his battles when's like outnumbered 6 to 1 and still win.

Link

Inversive

Romans first, then spartans, then whatever feel like

SCIPIO AFRICANUSSSSSSS

I have an inkling that the 'realm divide' will be the 2 other factions ganking up on you if you're roman.

not sure if I want to play the tutorial, may just drop into the grand campain

They have said there is no realm divide mechanic but there will be civil wars.

Unity2012

Gah, watching videos all day swayed me :/
Bought and preloading.

Btw for anyone wanting to watch a fun Shogun 2 'Let's Play' series, would recommend Volound's Shogun 2's Otomo campaign. He plays on legendary and plays damn aggressively.

Really fun to see his battles when's like outnumbered 6 to 1 and still win.

Link

Thanks for sharing the link to the Shogun Videos, that guy is, a beast of a player!

Super pumped for this game as I lost years of my life to the first Rome Total War. I've found the games have become more and more complicated each iteration though - Shogun 2 I was completely not a fan of, partially due to this. Hopefully Rome is a little more streamlined.

Super pumped for this game as I lost years of my life to the first Rome Total War. I've found the games have become more and more complicated each iteration though - Shogun 2 I was completely not a fan of, partially due to this. Hopefully Rome is a little more streamlined.

Really? I felt Shogun 2 was a "back to basics" installment to some extent compared to Empire/Napoleon and perhaps even Medieval 2 to some extent.

Shady859

Thanks for looking into this, I added it to the OP. Definitely a great option considering the $60 retail price. Trades wouldn't include the prepurchase bonus right?

I bought my gift copy of the game several weeks ago from a Russian trader for $33 Paypal. It included all the pre-order items and mode for TF2 so you should get the in game bonus items as well.

Tuesday will be a busy day pre-loading now along with Rayman Legends, which also came with the Origins pre-order bonus, again a Russian gifted $15 copy. :)

Lingitiz

I bought my gift copy of the game several weeks ago from a Russian trader for $33 Paypal. It included all the pre-order items and mode for TF2 so you should get the in game bonus items as well.

Tuesday will be a busy day pre-loading now along with Rayman Legends, which also came with the Origins pre-order bonus, again a Russian gifted $15 copy. :)

Is there a way to check? When I got the game it was just a gift copy.

Really? I felt Shogun 2 was a "back to basics" installment to some extent compared to Empire/Napoleon and perhaps even Medieval 2 to some extent.

I agree, Shogun 2 also does a better job of teaching the mechanics as well thanks to a decent tutorial. I never did really crack naval combat though.

Once I re-finish Alpha Protocol, I'll probably give Shogun 2 another chance. Going to play it on easy, and try to figure out the mechanics. I started to listen to the Hardcore History mini-series, Death Throes of the Republic. Each time I listen to it, my lust for Rome 2 rises.

Heh, I've been listening to that same podcast in preparation as well. I might even suss out my Rome DVD box set.

demolitio

I can't wait to obliterate my friends army of war elephants considering he thinks spamming one unit works in every TW game until he tries and fails miserably. He tried to use elephants in Empire and expected me to just stand there and take it instead of preparing properly and it was a huge disaster to the point where I felt like reporting myself to PETA for virtual crimes against animals...

I love how well the series is balanced for the most part. Even the long-range riflemen didn't last long in the Fall of the Samurai beta.

Just picked up my copy from GMG and preloaded, great deal if anyone is still looking to purchase. Unlocks at 7pm Local Time for me, can't wait!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way to check? When I got the game it was just a gift copy.

If you check your purchase history, you'll see:

Code:
[B]Item[/B]                                    [B]Acquisition method[/B]
Total War: Rome II Preorder             Gift/Guest Pass

There's no difference between a copy bought by yourself and a gift copy offered by someone else -- since the pre-order edition is the only edition available to buy on the store, it's the only one traders can offer.

Top Bottom