• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War Warhammer 2 |OT| Of Mice and Ratmen

This content is a massive free expansion to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II, and requires ownership of both games to play.

• A new grand scale campaign set across the Old World and the New World.
  • Play as any Legendary Lord from both games and any owned DLC.
  • Thousands of hours of gameplay.
  • 295 conquerable settlements.
  • 117 starting factions.
  • Up to 35 playable Legendary Lords.
  • Free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER & Total War: WARHAMMER II.

Mortal Empires is a new grand-scale campaign, free to owners of both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II. Once downloaded, the campaign is accessible through the Campaigns Menu in Total War: WARHAMMER II.
Encompassing the vast combined landmasses of both the Old World and the New World, Mortal Empires enables you to embark upon colossal new campaigns playing as any Legendary Lord from both games, including any introduced Free content packs and any you own as DLC. Players will be able to embark on campaigns as any of the 35 existing Legendary Lords from both games. This includes the Dwarfs, Greenskins, Empire, Bretonnia, Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen.

Unlike the Eye of The Vortex campaign that shipped with WARHAMMER II, Mortal Empires doesn’t focus on one overarching narrative. Instead, it offers the classic sandbox Total War experience in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world, expanding your empire in any direction you choose with no limits. You’ll still experience the escalating Chaos Warriors invasion from the original Total War: WARHAMMER Old World campaign, but with an exciting new twist: the forces of Chaos don’t just attack from the Chaos Wastes, but from other, unexpected directions as well…

Mortal Empires also features many of the new campaign features introduced in Total War: WARHAMMER II. These include treasure-hunting in ruins and encounters at sea; rogue armies, loyalty, rites and army abilities for the four New World races; new chokepoint battle maps; storms at sea; reefs and shallows; universal territory capture; plus numerous UI improvements and enhancements.

Mortal Empires is a bespoke new campaign map, not an exact reflection of the Old World and Eye of The Vortex campaign maps. As such, certain factions have unique new starting positions. The Skaven warlord Queek Headtaker of Clan Mors, for example, begins with ownership of Karag Orrud in the south-eastern Badlands. This puts him in the heart of Greenskin territory in the Old World.

PLEASE NOTE:

The Norscan factions, introduced in the Norsca Race pack for TW:WH1, are not yet playable in Mortal Empires. They will become playable to owners in a free update later in 2017, bringing the Legendary Lord count to 37.
Note that the Chaos invasion is enhanced. I'd guess they attack all three New World continents on top of their usual two-pronged attack on the Old World.

I suspect the Norsca won't be as potent while factions can actually conquer their territory, but once the Norsca DLC is integrated they will be dominant. However, with Queek in the Old World, I could see the Skaven running rampant through Norsca territory as a possibility as well...

Dmax3901

While it's really cool they're doing this, and that it's free, I can't really see myself playing it any time soon.

Simply having "more conquerable cities" etc doesn't really appeal.

Violet_0

Banned
I suspect the Norsca won't be as potent while factions can actually conquer their territory, but once the Norsca DLC is integrated they will be dominant. However, with Queek in the Old World, I could see the Skaven running rampant through Norsca territory as a possibility as well...
000000000000vvgg85lxd.png

Note that the Chaos invasion is enhanced. I'd guess they attack all three New World continents on top of their usual two-pronged attack on the Old World.

My first play though is going to be Empire or Bretonnia. I haven't decided yet.

ElyrionX

High Elves first for me. My favourite race by far.

Maybe an Empire or Bretonnia playthrough after that.

Now to decide whether to start with Tyrion or Teclis.

Violet_0

Banned
High Elves first for me. My favourite race by far.

haven't played HE yet, but they look like a very vanilla faction in the game. Generic infantry and cav for every tier and weapon category, plus two phoenixes and three slighly different dragons. I find them to have a pretty boring army, honestly. Though perhaps not the most boring, because that honor probably goes to the Brets. Even their missing units are not all that interesting, aside from that weird flying chariot/spear thrower maybe

here's the full Mortal Empires campaign map, it looks like. Lustria and the Southlands look a bit tiny on that map. Drastically reducing the size of Naggarond is fine by me, there's nothing interesting about the West and North of the continent anyway, way too much empty space. Could have cut away some of the North and give us more of the South, actually, same for the Old World

ElyrionX

haven't played HE yet, but they look like a very vanilla faction in the game. Generic infantry and cav for every tier and weapon category, plus two phoenixes and three slighly different dragons. I find them to have a pretty boring army, honestly. Though perhaps not the most boring, because that honor probably goes to the Brets. Even their missing units are not all that interesting, aside from that weird flying chariot/spear thrower maybe

here's the full Mortal Empires campaign map, it looks like. Lustria and the Southlands look a bit tiny on that map. Drastically reducing the size of Naggarond is fine by me, there's nothing interesting about the West and North of the continent anyway, way too much empty space. Could have cut away some of the North and give us more of the South, actually, same for the Old World

I mean, phoenixes and dragons are generic fantasy icons, sure. But they are powerful and amazing to behold.

You then have swordmasters and the silent phoenix guard, which are both really cool-looking and powerful in-game as well.

I've always liked the concept of quality over quantity and the HEs are exactly that. It helps that all of their units look so good. Fancy armour. Fancy weapons. Fancy birds.

Plus, their economy is so strong which means you get to field so many armies with so many high-tier units.

ElyrionX

I'd rather they combine Teclis and Tyrion's starting position so I can play either of them and not worry about confederating and also not worry about the AI being stupid with their skill trees.

Alright now I'm looking at the map more and it's turning into a euclidian nightmare. e.g. How is Estalia North in relation to the Coast of Araby. Was Total Warhammer 2's map fudging things a lot to get those four relatively evenly-sized continents?
I'd rather they combine Teclis and Tyrion's starting position so I can play either of them and not worry about confederating and also not worry about the AI being stupid with their skill trees.

Could be worse. You could be Skaven. (Or Last Defenders.)

They're very vanilla yeah but they do it very well which is why I guess people like it. I enjoyed my campaign with them at least. They have very efficient infantry, nothing fancy, nothing flashy, just phoenix guards are the tankiest motherfuckers to hold the line with and swordmaster cut through shit np(and aren't glass cannons like many of other anti infantry). And then they have stupidly good ranged, even the most basic archer with their 180 range are awesome and the Lothern Seaguards are really cool if you don't want to bother protecting your archers since they'll fuck up most of their natural "counters" in melee anyway. Like dogs, bats, most of the light cav, you really need to bring some good cav, chariots or monsters to kill them.

That said certainly not my pick for ME.

I'm thinking Vampire Counts since I haven't played them in forever, possibly Dark Elf since I haven't played them in Vortex yet. Probably one of the two, and Norsca when that's added since I haven't played them yet either.

Start positions
Hmm Teclis got a huge "buff" with this start position, one of the first area you can hit is Vampire Coast, which is like the best money making province in the game possibly due to having 4settlements and all 4 have ports, and then Ulthuan is a lot closer for confederating with. Kroq position also looks ridiculously good but it already was. Just one way out, kill everything on the way, no turning back, easy.

Lord Phol

Hmm I thought they would have more starting locations and playable sub-factions for some reason. Those are the things that really shakes things up and add replayability IMO. Still cool though. Will be interesting to see how this plays out for the old races in comparison to the old world campaign.

Hmm I thought they would have more starting locations and playable sub-factions for some reason. Those are the things that really shakes things up and add replayability IMO. Still cool though. Will be interesting to see how this plays out for the old races in comparison to the old world campaign.

They have a lot of factions, but a lot of the original factions have the same starting area, they only started mixing it up later. Like by the time they released Bretonnia, they gave them 3 distinct starting positions and all, but all the original stuff before the Beastmen DLC is pretty much all stacked on top of each other which is kinda dumb.

None of the Greenskins make any sense either since Grimgor should be way further North in Karak Ungor and Azhag should start in Troll Country(but that's like next to Chaos and stuff so I can see why they didn't do that originally especially since you couldn't settle those areas as Greenskins, but with Climate mechanics I think it'd be fine to give Azhag the northern area and then beeline through the mountains all the way south). Moving both leaves no one starting in Eight Peaks though, but I guess that'd be ok, just give the same bonuses as Skarsnik gets when he gets there to every Greenskins other than Wurzag.

Volkmar should probably have started somewhere else like Averland.
Ghorst should have been from Templehoff.
Kemmler should probably be in Mousillon even though that's also the Red Duke start, but at least Kemmler is a unique lord and all.
Ungrim should obviously start in Karak Kadrin

Gelt is really the only one where it doesn't make much sense for him to start anywhere but Altdorf which overlaps with Karl Franz, but that'd be fine probably. A few of these would be really easy changes though.

Violet_0

Banned
I played a couple of custom battles with all armies, LM are my jam. I like all the cheap heavily armored monsters with cool utility equipment, the blowpipe skinks are really good too, and healing abilities on both the characters and the Bastiladon. The higher-end Skaven units are great as well, the Warpcannon is my favorite new artillery, a Pestilence Grey Seer gives you 3 summon spells (though the Storm Vermin spell is probably a bit overpriced), and the Globadiers are really, really good. They just have way too many similar Clan Eshin units at the moment, I'm really a Clan Skyre fan at heart. DE got one of the better armies as well, particularly the Death Hags on the altar always had lots of kills in the campaign and are super durable, and they have the best basic ranged units. Super-late game, their elite stacks get a bit boring though

karnage10

Banned
I hope the starting menu isn't something like this:

DLdSlvnW4AEsYDo.jpg

If it is CA should change the Mortal empires campaign title to Mortal Kombat campaign

I hope the book of grudges has enough Pages for all These enemies I will slaughter.

LMAO. Dwarfs was my easiest campaign, their are soo good at shooting the enemy forces it.

I wonder how hard it will be to deal with the high elves; they have superior ranged and a lot of armor and a lot of strong high mobility units.

CA has said that after ME is released they would think of updating the "old" starting positions.

IMO the slayer king and azhag should get their unique factions;
I also wish that kazrak and morghur would have their starting positions switched.

CA has uploaded a fixed map, seems that the first one had errors.

Thanks

I hope the starting menu isn't something like this:

If it is CA should change the Mortal empires campaign title to Mortal Kombat campaign

They've already shown the selection screen in the stream, saw the screenshot on reddit:
7a07fc1ccf.png

Doesn't look too bad, but looks confusing as hell if you're a new player I'd think since you don't see the races or names of the factions or whatever until you click on the portraits. And since you have like humans on vampire counts and stuff, it's a bit messy, although they're grouped by race.

Violet_0

Banned
LMAO. Dwarfs was my easiest campaign, their are soo good at shooting the enemy forces it.

I wonder how hard it will be to deal with the high elves; they have superior ranged and a lot of armor and a lot of strong high mobility units.
get a bunch of grudgethrowers and cannons, position them behind your quarrellers, position those behind your shielded dwarf warriors and longbeards (some with greatweapons because you actually want to win in melee). Are hammerers anti-large, or was that slayers? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to have a few of those to fight cav/chariots/monstrous infantry/monsters that break through the first line. Wait and make the enemy come to you, because of your superior artillery. You don't care about their mobility, they're just AI controlled and you're standing still anyway

ignore any of the other dwarf units because they're honestly probably not worth it. Ironbreakers are fine, but not that much better than longbeards while far more expensive in upkeep, and super vulnerable to monsters and enemy artillery

HE doesn't have ranged armor piercing, your artillery and quarellers should do way more damage than their arrows on your heavily armored and mostly shielded troops. The DE crossbows might be a bit more problematic, but again nothing that grudgethrowers can't solve

yeah, Dwarfs are boring. Gimme Chaos Dwarfs any day, they look way cooler as well (the new FW models)

karnage10

Banned
Doesn't look too bad, but looks confusing as hell if you're a new player I'd think since you don't see the races or names of the factions or whatever until you click on the portraits. And since you have like humans on vampire counts and stuff, it's a bit messy, although they're grouped by race.

Yeah, for me the starting screen is "excelent" because i normally choose the LL first. My main complain is that there is no mention on of the starting position; at least on that image.

For a new player that menu seems like the most confusing screen ever, specially if when we get a "warhammer trilogy complete edition". Imagine a newbie starting with a campaign with all races +all DLC that was made for the trilogy and you only have the faces of the LL?

I've seen a lot of people suggesting this already, but they should have gone for an Attila style menu. I.e. Factions -> Sub-factions/leaders.

I think this is what would make the best menu. faction -> subfaction -> LL.
Attila is really a great game, i wish warhammer took a few bit more mechanics from it.

get a bunch of grudgethrowers and cannons, position them behind your quarrellers, position those behind your shielded dwarf warriors and longbeards (some with greatweapons because you actually want to win in melee). Are hammerers anti-large, or was that slayers? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to have a few of those to fight cav/chariots/monstrous infantry/monsters that break through the first line. Wait and make the enemy come to you, because of your superior artillery. You don't care about their mobility, they're just AI controlled and you're standing still anyway

ignore any of the other dwarf units because they're honestly probably not worth it. Ironbreakers are fine, but not that much better than longbeards while far more expensive in upkeep, and super vulnerable to monsters and enemy artillery

HE doesn't have ranged armor piercing, your artillery and quarellers should do way more damage than their arrows on your heavily armored and mostly shielded troops. The DE crossbows might be a bit more problematic, but again nothing that grudgethrowers can't solve

yeah, Dwarfs are boring. Gimme Chaos Dwarfs any day, they look way cooler as well (the new FW models)

Yeah, that does sound like it would work well!
I know very little of warhammer, how do you think chaos dwarves would play?

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, that does sound like it would work well!
I know very little of warhammer, how do you think chaos dwarves would play?

Dwarves with monsters, basically
the newer (semi-official) models, back when Warhammer Fantasy was still a thing, look pretty sleek, aside from the weird rifles

the classic, official models looked like this, before the army book was discontinued:

they would probably get a few original units, since it isn't really a fleshed-out faction. Forge World, a company owned by Games Workshop, produces unique high-quality Warhammer models, and they were allowed to bring Chaos Dwarfs back and make a new army book for them, which wasn't really one of the official army books, though. They also made the models for the Skin Wolves and Fimir, which aren't official Warhammer units either, but are now part of the Norsca faction in TW:W

as for how they would play, they are another well-known slaver faction of the WH world, but they mostly take gobbos

and I mean, look at this
who doesn't want that?

SamVT

I'm SO excited about the Mortal Empires campaign, however my god daughter is visiting and staying for the weekend so I'm not going to have time to get into it. Ah well, always next weekend.

karnage10

Banned
Guys and gals, currently i don't feel comfortable posting on NeoGAF at all. In the OT I promised that I would keep the OT updated with every warhammer 2 patch/DLC/FLC however the current actions of NeoGAF have sapped me of the will to support this endeavor.

I will update the OT for the patch coming tomorrow however after that I'm probably not updating the thread again.

ExReey

I'm finishing up my very first Warhammer campaign (Dwarves). I enjoyed it alot, except for the Chaos invasion.

For my second playthrough (I'm thinking VC, Empire or Wood Elves), what would be the best: Warhammer I with the no chaos invasion mod, or the Mortal Empires Campaign?

lifa-cobex

I'm finishing up my very first Warhammer campaign (Dwarves). I enjoyed it alot, except for the Chaos invasion.

For my second playthrough (I'm thinking VC, Empire or Wood Elves), what would be the best: Warhammer I with the no chaos invasion mod, or the Mortal Empires Campaign?

I started with Dwarfs on my first and went to Wood Elves for my second.
It fucked me in my tactics gameplay going from one to the other. Felt like I had to be far more on the move with flanking and kiting.

I would probably recommend going for Empire just to kinda breach the gap.

Top Bottom