• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TrueAchievements statements about Halo recent decline news

kingfey

Banned
Don't let those Steam numbers fool you... Halo Infinite is still doing remarkably well on Xbox, as our player data confirms.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We already knew it.

samara weaving comedy GIF by Showtime

Lol no one with a brain cell didn’t know this the thirst to make halo irrelevant continues. I’m sure they’ll find other metrics soon.

Lol no one with a brain cell didn’t know this the thirst to make halo irrelevant continues. I’m sure they’ll find other metrics soon.
That doesn’t stop it being being posted here and believed by half the morons using this site though. That’s the problem, once the seed has been planted….

Dr Bass

So, did anyone actually read this article? Is it me or does the title not match the contents?

This graph for Xbox is in the article and they talk about how the player count is dropping off in total ...

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

Granted, Infinite's player percentage has dropped off substantially since late last year,

So yeah ok. I mean read the whole thing, the data doesn't match the title whatsoever. There is a massive drop in players on Xbox as well. I'd be counted in that recent player graph though.

Kagey K

Banned
So, did anyone actually read this article? Is it me or does the title not match the contents?

This graph for Xbox is in the article and they talk about how the player count is dropping off in total ...

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

So yeah ok. I mean read the whole thing, the data doesn't match the title whatsoever. There is a massive drop in players on Xbox as well. I'd be counted in that recent player graph though.
You could have at least finished the quote. Instead of stopping at that sentence. (I highlighted a couple lines for context)

Granted, Infinite's player percentage has dropped off substantially since late last year, with around 25% of tracked players firing up the game in the week its free-to-play multiplayer launched in beta and an extremely impressive 30% of tracked players getting involved in Infinite's full launch week. But no game can expect to retain around a quarter of all Xbox users playing every week for long, and this is to be expected, with many key features still yet to arrive in the shooter and multiplayer offering a pretty bare-bones suite with a progression system that has put a good few noses out of joint. In fact, if we compare the current Halo numbers to similar titles and other big recent launches, having more than 10% of Xbox players on the game this long after launch is a feat not a single other game we checked can boast. Forza Horizon 5 dropped to around 8% in the same timeframe (and even that is really solid), Call of Duty Vanguard never once even made it as high as that and hovered around the 5% mark two months in, while big Game Pass additions like Back 4 Blood and Outriders enjoyed explosive launches (17.5% and 12% respectively in their first full week) but quickly fell to around 4% within a month of release, both dropping further to around 1.5% by the end of their second month.

Kacho

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

I doubt many people take this damage control article seriously.

Dr Bass

You could have at least finished the quote. Instead of stopping at that sentence. (I highlighted a couple lines for context)
Yeah, but the numbers are the numbers. I asked if people read it, I wasn't hiding the quote, just didn't want to paste an entire paragraph when people can click and read the whole thing. I asked ... did people read the whole thing? Which includes what you pasted.

Bottom line, like I said, numbers are numbers. There is a big drop on Xbox as well as Steam, and I don't think comparing other games with even bigger drops is the right way to try and paint a picture of success but that's just me.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, but the numbers are the numbers. I asked if people read it, I wasn't hiding the quote, just didn't want to paste an entire paragraph when people can click and read the whole thing. I asked ... did people read the whole thing? Which includes what you pasted.

Bottom line, like I said, numbers are numbers. There is a big drop on Xbox as well as Steam, and I don't think comparing other games with even bigger drops is the right way to try and paint a picture of success but that's just me.
Yep you are right my bad, second most played game on Xbox only behind Fortnite.

It's dead Jim, the numbers don't lie.

zaanan

Banned
Were they waiting three months (!) with bated breath for it to fall to #6 (!) just so they could immediately publish this prewritten article lamenting it falling out of the top 5?
And holy shit, this is Forbes?
Halo Infinite has fallen outside Xbox’s top 5 most played games, sitting at #6 behind long-term leaders it was unable to unseat for any significant lengthy of time.
That was just a couple paragraphs in, couldn’t read any further. I guess the once-respected profession of Editor has joined its cousin Journalist in the mire of mediocrity.

Plantoid

"massive drop bla bla bla" i played halo for the single player portion of the game checked out mp and gave up after 2 or 3 days so I guess I count as another one who "dropped" the game after release?

It would be pretty bad if the game had none single player Campaign..

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tribalists have a hard time understanding there are spaces between "smash success" and "complete failure".

Halo Infinite is a success relative to most games.

Halo Infinite is the worst performing Halo multiplayer in the history of the franchise.

Both statements are (probably) true.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

Do you think every game just retains all the players 3 months after launch? It has stabilized and will go up again when more content is added.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Tribalists have a hard time understanding there are spaces between "smash success" and "complete failure".

Halo Infinite is a success relative to most games.

Halo Infinite is the worst performing Halo multiplayer in the history of the franchise.

I think Halo 4 might have performed worse. (I don't have information going that far back to confirm tho)

Roxkis_ii

I laughed, but the drop in players shouldn't be surprising. People said the progression was bad, and now we are seeing a reflection of that. If they fix the progression, they should get a lot of their lost players back.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I laughed, but the drop in players shouldn't be surprising. People said the progression was bad, and now we are seeing a reflection of that. If they fix the progression, they should get a lot of their lost players back.

Progression within match > Progression outside of matches.

The paradigm has shifted. I don't believe a better Battle Pass will do much, if anything. Large, open world Halo PvP is it's only chance at being a top game anymore.

zeorhymer

And quotes like this ...

I read the article. It made no sense. Every live service type game always have a decline. The article is a worthless defense article from the other bully articles beating up their Master Chief. At the end of the day, gamers don't give a shit who left. They'll still be playing while telling other people:

ByeFelicia.jpg

Bernkastel

this was Halo 4 around this time.
RGmEkjE.png

Halo Infinite is the first time since Halo Reach that a Halo game has more players than the latest COD game at launch. All of this with a barebones launch(Halo 4 was feature complete) and missing key features like co-op and forge.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Every live service type game always have a decline.

This is not true, in relation to Halo Infinite at least.

A ton of GAAS games go on growth trajectories for months, if not years after release. Go spend some time looking at player data for different games on Steamcharts.

The idea that all games lose players as quickly as Halo Infinite couldn't be further from the truth.

Roxkis_ii

Progression within match > Progression outside of matches.

The paradigm has shifted. I don't believe a better Battle Pass will do much, if anything. Large, open world Halo PvP is it's only chance at being a top game anymore.
I hopped off the halo bandwagon after 3, but even today, Halo has some very hardcore fans. So I believe the demand is there, 343 or whoever the devs are for their online just have to give players what they want.

The could have just recreated past Halo online offerings, and just put a EXP based battle pass on top if it, and I think a lot of people would have been pleased.

Maybe I'm speaking from a place of ignorance, but it too many games with battle passes to have messed this up. All you have to do is just play other games to see what is fun.

I think a lot of Xbox games would be way better if devs actually played other first party offerings and then aimed that high.

Last edited:

iHaunter

So, this article heavily contradicts itself. It's still in very heavy decline. Also take this guys article with a grain of salt, he's an enormous shill.

"Contrary to those plummeting Steam numbers — the game has dropped from a concurrent peak of over 260,000 to below 10,000 players at the time of writing — our data from the last week actually shows a very slight increase in Halo Infinite's Xbox player base, with more than 10% of all tracked Xbox accounts having played Infinite in the last seven days."

They say it shows a peak, but show 0 actual numbers. Just random percentages, but no actual data? Am I reading this wrong?

They then go off on tangents and start talking about other games. Their own graph shows a big decline.

125757.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

@ iHaunter iHaunter Dr Bass Dr Bass , Player counts drop on everything after release, that is to be expected, as the article states. Fortnite has fallen quite a bit from its peak, should we run articles about it struggling now?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

So, this article heavily contradicts itself. It's still in very heavy decline.
Ironic that you stopped right when you thought you found your good news.
In fact, if we compare the current Halo numbers to similar titles and other big recent launches, having more than 10% of Xbox players on the game this long after launch is a feat not a single other game we checked can boast. Forza Horizon 5 dropped to around 8% in the same timeframe (and even that is really solid), Call of Duty Vanguard never once even made it as high as that and hovered around the 5% mark two months in.
Every game drops players after launch and climbs up again when new content is added.

iHaunter

Ironic that you stopped right when you thought you found your good news.

Every game drops players after launch and climbs up again when new content is added.
If you're going to call me out for missing the good news, at least link it and correct me?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
@ iHaunter iHaunter Dr Bass Dr Bass , Player counts drop on everything after release, that is to be expected, as the article states. Fortnite has fallen quite a bit from its peak, should we run articles about it struggling now?

Fortnite didn't start losing players until ~1 year after release. And even then, the player decline was minimal. Halo Infinites player decline is super unhealthy and happened immediately after release.

Fortnite (2017) is XBox Lives most played game today. Halo Infinite (2021) is now 6th and we're 3 months in.

The idea that all games lose players immediately after release has been proven wrong time after time.

Bernkastel

That's your good news? Really? Okay.
When did I say that was my good news?
You are calling TrueAchievements a shill, that has been the most reliable Xbox player activity tracker since its inception. You think games just somehow retain all there players after a few months without any significant content updates.

iHaunter

When did I say that was my good news?

You are calling TrueAchievements a shill, that has been the most reliable Xbox player activity tracker since its inception. You think games just somehow retain all there players after a few months without any significant content updates.
Depends. A lot of GaaS games do, unless they flunk out. Another good example of the new BF game. Think it dropped something like 94% of it's playerbase?

Top Bottom