• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TrueAchievements statements about Halo recent decline news

Haggard

Banned
But Halo is dad?
xXACNIk.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You think games just somehow retain all there players after a few months without any significant content updates.

Fortnite had 2 months of zero updates after release. It skyrocketed in player count during those 2 months.

Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, GTAV Online, Warframe, Minecraft all had essentially no support in the first months after launch. They all grew because fun + depth is waaaay more important than "significant content updates".

New maps, new weapons, new skins will have minimal impact on Halo Infinite. 343 needs to create a mode that's fun + depth for a wide spectrum of gamers.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i'll get hate for this but i was always under the impression that halo enjoyed its popularity due to the immaturity of the console gaming / competitive fps as a whole, combined with underdeveloped competitive gaming for normal folk. when halo2 was huge (in ancient times, when i was in college), kids had pcs but still they chose to play halo on xbox over the LAN. why? because PCs are hard, xbox on the other hand has a controller and is meant for playing games.

of course, i was a quake guy. but 98% of those kids, despite having their own pc and being in college, never even heard of quake, all they knew was halo. i don't think they even understood you could play pvp fps on PC.

it took 20 years but i think people are finally starting to realize that halo just isnt that great of a game, the gameplay, art direction is unashamedly derivative, etc i could go on.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Fortnite had 2 months of zero updates after release. It skyrocketed in player count during those 2 months.

Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, GTAV Online, Warframe, Minecraft all had essentially no support in the first months after launch. They all grew because fun + depth is waaaay more important than "significant content updates".

New maps, new weapons, new skins will have minimal impact on Halo Infinite. 343 needs to create a mode that's fun + depth for a wide spectrum of gamers.
GTA V :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So, did anyone actually read this article? Is it me or does the title not match the contents?

This graph for Xbox is in the article and they talk about how the player count is dropping off in total ...

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

So yeah ok. I mean read the whole thing, the data doesn't match the title whatsoever. There is a massive drop in players on Xbox as well. I'd be counted in that recent player graph though.

Wow, so this whole thread and clickbait article was for nothing.

Nothing No GIF by Fantastic3dcreation

iHaunter

i'll get hate for this but i was always under the impression that halo enjoyed its popularity due to the immaturity of the console gaming / competitive fps as a whole, combined with underdeveloped competitive gaming for normal folk. when halo2 was huge (in ancient times, when i was in college), kids had pcs but still they chose to play halo on xbox over the LAN. why? because PCs are hard, xbox on the other hand has a controller and is meant for playing games.

of course, i was a quake guy. but 98% of those kids, despite having their own pc and being in college, never even heard of quake, all they knew was halo. i don't think they even understood you could play pvp fps on PC.

it took 20 years but i think people are finally starting to realize that halo just isnt that great of a game, the gameplay, art direction is unashamedly derivative, etc i could go on.
That and there were far fewer FPS options no? So many FPS IPs nowadays.

You could have at least finished the quote. Instead of stopping at that sentence. (I highlighted a couple lines for context)

Damn, it's almost as if Halo Infinite is outperforming even Forza Horizon 5 and COD Vanguard on the platform in terms of player count. But, why aren't people making FUD narratives that those games are dying off, too?

Is it because by focusing on Halo, which is often seen as the face of the Xbox brand, that by implying it's dying they can then trick people to infer that Xbox as a brand is doing badly? No way, there's just absolutely no way people could be wanting to do that. I'm shocked 😲!!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Damn, it's almost as if Halo Infinite is outperforming even Forza Horizon 5 and COD Vanguard on the platform in terms of player count. But, why aren't people making FUD narratives that those games are dying off, too?

Is it because by focusing on Halo, which is often seen as the face of the Xbox brand, that by implying it's dying they can then trick people to infer that Xbox as a brand is doing badly? No way, there's just absolutely no way people could be wanting to do that. I'm shocked 😲!!

Because the idea that Forza Horizon is somehow the bar to measure Halo Infinites success is preposterous considering the history of both franchises. We've also seen a litany of posts pointing out the fact that traditional CoD multiplayer is losing relevance. Warzone is obviously another story.

Also, is there anyone here who actually thinks XBox as a brand is dying? They just spent 78 billion dollars over the last two years building a stable of developers that dwarfs both PlayStation and Nintendo in size. I think not.

There's a thread here on NeoGAF asking members to predict when Halo Infinite would slide out of the top 3 position on XBL Most Played. 76% of NeoGAF (including me) was wrong. [I can't link to thread because NeoGAF has been acting weird for me lately]

Halo Infinites struggles are a point of discussion because it's interesting to hypothesize why the slide in popularity. I understand your sentiment if it were 2017 when XBox had little outside of Halo but we're in a different time today. XBox is healthier than it's ever been. We all know that. Halo is...decidedly not.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So, did anyone actually read this article? Is it me or does the title not match the contents?

This graph for Xbox is in the article and they talk about how the player count is dropping off in total ...

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

So yeah ok. I mean read the whole thing, the data doesn't match the title whatsoever. There is a massive drop in players on Xbox as well. I'd be counted in that recent player graph though.
There are no numbers, its a percentage of the accounts that share data with True Achievements that have played Halo Infinite on any given day. Since they are only looking at people who share their account with TA, this data may be more useless than Steam numbers.

DaGwaphics

Fortnite didn't start losing players until ~1 year after release. And even then, the player decline was minimal. Halo Infinites player decline is super unhealthy and happened immediately after release.

Fortnite (2017) is XBox Lives most played game today. Halo Infinite (2021) is now 6th and we're 3 months in.

The idea that all games lose players immediately after release has been proven wrong time after time.

Fortnite became an event of its own, not every game can do that. LOL

As the article states, no other multiplayer game released near Halo even hit 10% and all dropped. Steep declines are normal outside of a handful of games. If you are inside the top 20 you are doing well, top 10 even better. If you bomb you will quickly be out of the top 50. Keep trying though.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnite became an event of its own, not every game can do that. LOL

As the article states, no other multiplayer game released near Halo even hit 10% and all dropped. Steep declines are normal outside of a handful of games. Keep trying though.

Didn't Naraka Bladepoint release a couple of months before Halo Infinite? Go compare that games retention numbers to Halos. Night and day.

The multiplayer successes we've seen over the last 7, 8 years are mostly games that steadily climbed in popularity after release.

And let's be real, if Halo Infinite had a big BR esque mode right now it would almost certainly be far more popular.

The BR they should have cared about was Battle Royale.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Didn't Naraka Bladepoint release a couple of months before Halo Infinite? Go compare that games retention numbers to Halos. Night and day.

The multiplayer successes we've seen over the last 7, 8 years are mostly games that steadily climbed in popularity after release.

And let's be real, if Halo Infinite had a big BR esque mode right now it would almost certainly be far more popular.

Halo being n6 on 3rd month is great, since Most people finished the SP mode. Not to mention the game has little content for now. That itself is achievement.

BR mode is not an easy task. For BR mode, you need constant content, and good progression mode. With current Halo progression, the BR mode would be dead fast. Until they fix the progression mode, BR is of the table.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
BR mode is not an easy task. For BR mode, you need constant content, and good progression mode. With current Halo progression, the BR mode would be dead fast. Until they fix the progression mode, BR is of the table.

Respawn Entertainment had ~ 100 employees and 2 years to produce Apex Legends.

343 had ~ 500 employees and 6 years (or 4 years depending on when they should have decided) to make one.

The idea that 343 didn't have the time or resources to produce a multiplayer mode that resonates with the wider audience is a little silly if you ask me.

kingfey

Banned
Respawn Entertainment had ~ 100 employees and 2 years to produce Apex Legends.

343 had ~ 500 employees and 6 years (or 4 years depending on when they should have decided) to make one.

The idea that 343 didn't have the time or resources to produce a multiplayer mode that resonates with the wider audience is a little silly if you ask me.
Respawn didnt have new engine work, and story mode.

DaGwaphics

Like I said, if you are top 20 or top 10 you are doing well. If you bomb like say Battlefield2042 you will find yourself out of the top 50 real fast.

No one realistic ever expected Fortnight levels of success, even seeing Apex over it is no surprise. Halo obviously isn't as big as it used to be. Nevertheless, it is far from a flop on the Xbox platform.

ZehDon

There are no numbers, its a percentage of the accounts that share data with True Achievements that have played Halo Infinite on any given day. Since they are only looking at people who share their account with TA, this data may be more useless than Steam numbers.
Not quite. For me, it's a sample size of accounts interested in sharing their data with an Xbox fan site. This sample shows us a steady decline in player population. Steam is another sample, this time of specifically PC players on Steam, and it also shows a steady decline in player population. If we're seeing a decline in two samples for the same game across the same timeline, the odds of it not representing a trend in the greater population is basically zero. Looking across social media and discussion forums, the general feedback is Halo Infinite's core gameplay is rock solid, and literally everything else needs to be completely re-done. This sentiment fits with the steady decline in players across both samples - the game simply has too many issues for most to stick with it.

At this stage, I think there's enough clear evidence to say Halo Infinite is floundering. Halo Infinite had it's opportunity to capture an audience for a new generation. They decided to release an incomplete and broken game with a terrible progression system and extremely heavy handed monetisation. They'll need to fix most of that before they'll see a reverse in these trends.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No one realistic ever expected Fortnight levels of success, even seeing Apex over it is no surprise. Halo obviously isn't as big as it used to be. Nevertheless, it is far from a flop on the Xbox platform.

There's a NeoGAF poll here that asked members to predict when it would fall out of the top 3 on XBL Most Played. 76 percent predicted after the first 3 months. It's now #6 and we're not at the 3 month mark.

I'd say it's performing below expectations for a Halo game.

DaGwaphics

There's a NeoGAF poll here that asked members to predict when it would fall out of the top 3 on XBL Most Played. 76 percent predicted after the first 3 months. It's now #6 and we're not at the 3 month mark.

And? How many votes was that, 100 - 200?

Like I said, if you were "realistic" it was obvious that Halo was going to need to find its footing again. The IP has definitely softened over the years, but if it can hang in the top 20 for an extended period after launch and the TV show does anything, it can still find evergreen status. Every game doesn't stay top 20 for years, even bona fide hits. Staying ahead of Fortnite and GTAV can't be the only barometer of success, unless you are saying almost everything that is released is a failure.

I don't think GAF polls are a good indicator of anything in the games space. GAF predicted Switch failure too. GAF was certain MS would drop out the hardware market, some even thinking so AFTER the announcement of the Activision acquisition. It is way too early to predict failure for the new Halo and comparing it to the most successful MP games on the market isn't the best barometer.

demonstr8

125757.jpg

And quotes like this ...

I pretty much came in to say this but don't have to now because you did already, so thanks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not quite. For me, it's a sample size of accounts interested in sharing their data with an Xbox fan site. This sample shows us a steady decline in player population.
It's a sample size of people who are achievement hunters , whom by nature move on from a game once they have all achievements. In other words, it's a horrible sample to use for measuring longevity.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And? How many votes was that, 100 - 200?

Like I said, if you were "realistic" it was obvious that Halo was going to need to find its footing again. The IP has definitely softened over the years, but if it can hang in the top 20 for an extended period after launch and the TV show does anything, it can still find evergreen status. Every game doesn't stay top 20 for years, even bona fide hits. Staying ahead of Fortnite and GTAV can't be the only barometer of success, unless you are saying almost everything that is released is a failure.

What does "find its footing again" mean?

Halo needed to do one thing. It needed to be fun to play, by a large audience of gamers, for more than a few weeks.

Halo had every advantage in the world going for it. 6 years, massive well funded studio, one of the largest names in gaming, huge advertising budget, the unanimous adoration of gaming press (this one particularly irks me as Halo looked vulnerable at every step Ieading to release).

It's launch was massive. 256k concurrent player on Steam with, probably more, on XBL.

The fact that goalposts are now shifting to "Halo doesn't need to stay in the top 20" is crazy to me. It's Halo for goodness sakes! Hay! Lo! That game was a 1st overall pick that's telling its parents "Well, at least I'm getting to play special teams and some 3rd and long passing downs."

I suspect 343 leadership played it so safe with Halo Infinite because that studio is a likely a dumpster fire. At some point, they decided "We'll make a slightly better SplitGate (game developed by 2 college students). We're not capable of making anything more ambitious." It's kind of astounding because that campaign was actually pretty fun.

PS: The Halo show won't do anything for the game other than provide a small bump that evaporates quickly because very few people find basic arena shooters fun anymore. The game needs a mode that gets with the times.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Enjoyed the first 5 posts or so who didn't read the article or look at the graph they provided, and essentially went off the headline.

As others have pointed out, this is only a scan of people who use "true achievements" which is why they can say its number 2 on there, while it is Number 6 in the USA....

Oh and number 12 in the UK, but I guess the US since its higher than any other region is what people go off.

Last edited:

Concern

This is getting embarrassing. From "halo struggling" to "people buying wrong nail polish" and to "actually halo is doing well" threads.

Im dying for metagaf so I can watch people just beat each other senseless on there and get that out out their system lol

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It is way too early to predict failure for the new Halo and comparing it to the most successful MP games on the market isn't the best barometer.

Why wouldn't we compare it to the most successful multiplayer games on the planet? That's what Halo historically has been. It's had more advantages at its disposal than 99 percent of the top multiplayer games.

It's literally The Yankees, with the highest payroll in baseball, saying "It doesn't matter that we missed the playoffs. We finished with a better record than half the league and dog gone it, that's pretty good."

In sports, many industries probably, if you don't deliver when you've been given more resources than your competition, you pack your bags because ownership replaces you.

We'll see if Joseph Staten is the new guy or not.

Last edited:

ZehDon

It's a sample size of people who are achievement hunters , whom by nature move on from a game once they have all achievements. In other words, it's a horrible sample to use for measuring longevity.
In a multiplayer game with lots of achievements designed around encouraging long term play measured across the three months the game has been officially available?
You’re also outright excluding achievement hunters from playing multiplayer games in your argument.
It’s a sample. So is Steam. So is Xbox. Add them together and what do we see? People are dropping Halo Infinite.

Now imagine what population Infinite could have grown and kept outside the US with proper player server selections.

Now imagine what Infinite could have sustained with optimised PC support and better anti-cheat systems.

Now imagine what Infinite could be with monthly content drops ready out of the launch bag.

Now imagine what a Battle Royale mode or a PvE coop at launch could have done.

I'm not after the fall of Halo or failure of 343 but I'll be damned if I don't hold them accountable to opportunity loss; just as they did with MCC's launch and early years.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Now imagine what population Infinite could have grown and kept outside the US with proper player server selections.

Now imagine what Infinite could have sustained with optimised PC support and better anti-cheat systems.

Now imagine what Infinite could be with monthly content drops ready out of the bad.

I'm not after the fall of Halo or failure of 343 but I'll be damned if I don't hold them accountable to opportunity loss; just as they did with MCC's launch and early years.
Their unforgivable act is making the franchise a 10 year game. That is not a good idea, for a video game, unless the resources are there on day1.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Now imagine what Infinite could be with monthly content drops ready out of the launch bag.

Now Imagine what Infinite could have been if it was a finished product headed by competent directors and didn’t try to create a greedy, low effort “Free to Play” rushed release?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So is Halo for a lot of ppl. Not everyone plays all games modes.

I don't consider Bioshock 2 to be a multiplayer game and never touched the multi.

Difference is a game with a heavy MP component should see longer player retention versus a single player only release. Halo has always thrived on its MP and 343i fucked it up a fourth time in a row.

Yoboman

You could have at least finished the quote. Instead of stopping at that sentence. (I highlighted a couple lines for context)
Did they check the five games ahead of it? How can you simultaneously claim it has the highest % of retained players for the userbase while it is also behind older games?

Three

Don't let those Steam numbers fool you...
But kingfey weren't you the one fooling everyone with those steam numbers to begin with?

Why wouldn't we compare it to the most successful multiplayer games on the planet? That's what Halo historically has been. It's had more advantages at its disposal than 99 percent of the top multiplayer games.

It's literally The Yankees, with the highest payroll in baseball, saying "It doesn't matter that we missed the playoffs. We finished with a better record than half the league and dog gone it, that's pretty good."

In sports, many industries probably, if you don't deliver when you've been given more resources than your competition, you pack your bags because ownership replaces you.

We'll see if Joseph Staten is the new guy or not.
The multi-player competitive shooter space has changed significantly since the last Halo game. On top of that Halo 5 was released only on X1, a platform that wasn't MS's best effort.

Success of a game that is continually updated is also tough to gage. Sea of Thieves was considered a complete failure at launch. No one who is being honest would call it that now. Halo in its prime didn't have the competition it has today. That being said it is doing quite well considering no other platform holder has put out a superior product.

Am I supposed to go back and play the campaign over and over again? Once was enough.
I came I saw I blew stuff up. Done.
Now bring on the Robot Dino game.

The Alien

Banned
Shit....are u telling me that, over time, the player count numbers decline? SMH

Oh wait..your telling me its not? Huh?

Thanks for the...news (?)

kingfey

Banned
But kingfey weren't you the one fooling everyone with those steam numbers to begin with?

That post wasnt about keeping players, but how many people tuned out to test the game. Same for god of war steam chart. That was for US pc players.

This on other hand, is about Xbox players. Since Halo is mainly an Xbox game. They are the one who are playing this game. not us PC players.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Halo in its prime didn't have the competition it has today. That being said it is doing quite well considering no other platform holder has put out a superior product.

Here's what I read when I read your post.

Ryan Leaf (#1 overall pick) is actually doing pretty well through his first 4 games. Defenses are way better today than when Joe Namath played.

Ryan Leaf is doing pretty well through his first 4 games because no one else from Washington State (his college) has done very much in the NFL this year.

It's a strange framing you're doing to protect a game that had more resources at its disposal than basically all its competition.

And the thing is, I don't think its stabilized yet. I think we're still in the "losing a decent percentage of player base each week" phase.
This on other hand, is about Xbox players. Since Halo is mainly an Xbox game. They are the one who are playing this game. not us PC players.

250k concurrent PC players played the game. ~235k have seemingly stopped.

kingfey

Banned
250k concurrent PC players played the game. ~235k have seemingly stopped.
Yup, people have other games to play on pc.
Halo doesnt have a chance on the pc market sadly. PC has tons of games, which xbox doesn't have. That is why its not losing alot of players.
Valorent and CSGO are exclusive to pc. If those were on xbox, it would stole some of halo players.

Top Bottom