• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump fires (ie asks to resign) 46 US attorneys without warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: it should be noted that the act of replacing attorneys is a normal and expected action by a new President and administration. The troubling and notable aspect here isn't the asking to resign, it's the sudden and en masse approach and why such an action was done now (because he was prompted by a report on Fox)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/us-attorneys-resignation/
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has asked for the resignations of 46 US attorneys, igniting anger from officials who say they were given no warning about their dismissals.

The Justice Department announced the firings Friday afternoon, and many prosecutors had not been formally notified or even told before they were fired, according to a law enforcement source. Acting Deputy Attorney General Dana Boente was in the beginning stages of calling each US attorney individually to tell them they had to resign when the DOJ issued a statement.

I wonder...
A person familiar with the calls that have been made said there was no advance warning of the move. It came less than 24 hours after Sean Hannity, the Fox News commentator who often speaks with Mr. Trump, called for a ”purge" of Obama appointees at the Justice Department on his show.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/us/politics/us-attorney-justice-department-trump.html

sangreal

The trend of 'leave your most evil acts until the end of Friday' continues.

It's not really evil, just poorly executed like everything else Trump does. It's normal for incoming admins to purge the US attorneys -- gradually. It's really similar to how he mishandled the ambassadors

TrounceX

I swear I heard on NPR today that it's normal procedure for US attorneys assigned under the previous president to resign and open spots for the current president to fill.

It's not really evil, just poorly executed like everything else Trump does. It's normal for incoming admins to purge the US attorneys
I swear I heard on NPR today that it's normal procedure for US attorneys assigned under the previous president to resign and open spots for the current president to fill.
Troubling part IMO is less that it's so poorly executed, but rather that once again policy and action by the president was prompted by cable news

As in why he did it now, so suddenly, and en masse

sangreal

Troubling part IMO is less that it's so poorly executed, but rather that once again policy and action by the president was prompted by cable news

Yeah, we should be used to it by now but it is still deeply troubling. It's going to be a long 4 years. He can't even get his marching orders from decent shows on Fox -- Fox & Friends and Hannity? Really?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
It's almost like they don't even give a fuck about what it looks like anymore. I want to call it reckless but when so much shit is sticking to you and you still have the gumption to walk around like your clean and suffer NO consequences of someone covered in shit... a person may be moved to think "Maybe he isn't covered in shit afterall."

pompidu

Will be many of books written on the downfall of Democracy in America, I imagine stuff like this will have little excerpts.

kcp12304

Banned

The last two Presidents staggered the resignations. There was some outcry when Janet Reno asked all them to resign.

CHC

From what I understand it is common practice, but with this being Trump, it seems to have been done in the most simultaneously bungling and insidious manner possible.

It's standard practice by both sides, Bill Clinton fired all 93 US Attorneys in one day.

No, when Reno did it there were remarks that it was contrary to previous, staggered departures from the department.

All 93 United States Attorneys knew they would be asked to step down, since all are Republican holdovers, and 16 have resigned so far. But the process generally takes much longer and had usually been carried out without the involvement of the Attorney General.

Sessions is basically taking marching orders from Fox News now, and has turned into this pair of assholes as a result

roNT88T.jpg

What part of "It is common for administrations to ask holdovers to step down, but what is less common is the abruptness of Friday's announcement" means 'standard practice' to you, out of curiosity?

Yeah, this thing is really abrupt, just like everything else this administration has done so far.

shootfast

What part of "It is common for administrations to ask holdovers to step down, but what is less common is the abruptness of Friday's announcement" means 'standard practice' to you, out of curiosity?

Note the date of the article Published: March 24, 1993. Back then it was not but it set a precedent for both sides where it is now become standard practice. Once you get away with something, it's standard practice for everyone else.

Note the date of the article Published: March 24, 1993. Back then it was not but it set a precedent for both sides where it is now become standard practice. Once you get away with something, it's standard practice for everyone else.

Note that I quoted today's article, in which this nugget also exists:

In mid-March 2001, President George W. Bush's attorney general said he was transitioning most of the 93 US attorneys before June of that year.

Dubya gave attorneys 3 months. Agent Orange didn't even give them a day. This is not 'standard practice' unless you're being incredibly dishonest about the meaning of that phrase. I grow increasingly convinced that you haven't even read the article in the OP.

It's a bit unusual since the president is being investigated for treason at the time.

shootfast

Dubya gave attorneys 3 months. Agent Orange didn't even give them a day. This is not 'standard practice' unless you're being incredibly dishonest about the meaning of that phrase. I grow increasingly convinced that you haven't even read the article in the OP.

My bad, for thinking it was the 1993 article. As for standard practice, I'm not being dishonest. It's not an outrageous act without precedent from a former President. It's like removing super majorities in the senate. Once you break precedent you can't put the genie back in the bottle in politics the other side can always point to the first instance and it's now standard practice.

Jams775

Maybe he's using the Russian definition of standard practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom