• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump fires (ie asks to resign) 46 US attorneys without warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spladam

Fox and Brietbart now have indirect control of the Presidency, and can affect policy and legislation by strategically placed articles and commentary.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So Bill O' Reiley and Hannity are president and vice-president or something.

Marquis

Banned
This is standard procedure that most presidents participate in. Why leave guys in office that were not appointed by you.

pigeon

Banned
Every president replaces US attorneys. They don't all give them no notice. When Clinton let all the attorneys go he gave them notice and also allowed them to apply for the positions again.

commedieu

Banned
Every president replaces US attorneys. They don't all give them no notice. When Clinton let all the attorneys go he gave them notice and also allowed them to apply for the positions again.

Quiet.

ahem... BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME! BILL CLINTON rabble rabble EMAILS!!!

Not sure how one president doing something similar means that the practice is now totally acceptable. By that measure, no presidential candidate should ever release their taxes again. I can't imagine that will be considered standard even moving forward.

pigeon

Banned
To expand on this, Clinton asked all the US attorneys to prepare to step down, but left most of them in place until new US attorneys could be nominated.

Starting Monday there will be approximately two US attorneys in the United States, because there are two attorneys Trump didn't fire.

Specifically, he didn't fire the acting deputy AG, currently overseeing the Russia investigation, or the nominee for deputy AG, who will oversee the Russia investigation when he is confirmed.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
As shootfast mentioned Bill Clinton canned 96. This is normal.

No it is not. As mentioned, they were informed before hand, weren't let go until replacements were in place, and were allowed to reapply for positions. How is that the same as what Cheetolini is doing?

HotHamBoy

What's different here is that there was no warning and it is happening before replacements - before nominees, even - have been found.

It's a massive disrupt to cases in-process and the justice system.

It's also very, very strange that Preet Bharara is included in this when Trump personally and publicly asked him to stay.

It could have something to do with this:

Watchdogs ask U.S. attorney to investigate Trump over foreign business deals
A trio of watchdog groups has asked the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York to investigate whether President Trump has received payments or other benefits from foreign governments through his business interests in violation of an obscure clause in the U.S. Constitution.

The request, sent by letter Wednesday morning to U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, is a novel strategy by ethics critics who have been pressing Trump to comply with the Constitution’s “emoluments clause,” which prohibits top officials from receiving payments or favors from foreign governments.

Kickz

ei5gYL1.gif

SaintR

We really need to start paying attention to context on here in general. I don't mean to single you out but some are too quick to be on the defensive/offensive that we inadvertently paint things with too broad of a stroke.

This is not the same thing as before. Yes they are asked to resign in a turnover of administrations. However, they are always notified and if they aren't kept altogether anyway (reapplying and such), they are kept in position till there is a replacement.

pixelation

Edit: it should be noted that the act of replacing attorneys is a normal and expected action by a new President and administration. The troubling and notable aspect here isn't the asking to resign, it's the sudden and en masse approach and why such an action was done now (because he was prompted by a report on Fox)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/us-attorneys-resignation/

I wonder...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/us/politics/us-attorney-justice-department-trump.html

Fuck Fox news.

Azuran

Banned
Sean fucking Hannity has power and control over the President of the United States.

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad and depressing.

besada

Banned
Levin convinced him that he was being tapped, Hannity convinced him to can US attorneys...I wonder how long until he gives Bababooey the Medal of Freedom.

What's different here is that there was no warning and it is happening before replacements - before nominees, even - have been found.

It's also very, very strange that Preet Bharara is included in this when Trump personally and publicly asked him to stay.

Ah ha, now it's all making sense

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Oh my God this is insane..... like there is no low point for this SOB

Not this abruptly. Attorneys in the middle of big investigations were even let on board for several weeks to finish them.

This, on the other hand, had everyone kicked out by the end of the business day, abruptly halting all work going on. It's really not the same thing.

MarionCB

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not going to take everything this Administration at face value. Preet Bharara was asked by Trump and Sessions to stay on and he agreed to, but then he is one of the attorneys getting sacked. Doesn't sound right.

Rachel Maddow made the excellent point last night that two days ago Preet Bharara received a letter from watch dogs groups requesting him to investigate whether Trump's business is getting illegal payments and benefits from foreign Governments that go on to Trump himself (as he has not divested himself as he is required to). Bharara has jurisdiction as US Attorney of Manhattan because that's where Trump's business is located.

Rachel Maddow made the excellent point last night that two days ago Preet Bharara received a letter from watch dogs groups requesting him to investigate whether Trump's business is getting illegal payments and benefits from foreign Governments that go on to Trump himself (as he has not divested himself as he is required to). Bharara has jurisdiction as US Attorney of Manhattan because that's where Trump's business is located.
What's worse, that he did this or that he did this so blatantly as if to say he's not worried about any repercussions

I'm sure Sessions gave him the idea, not fucking Sean Hannity,

I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that he continues to talk or act directly after a news story from one his preferred right wing sources is starting to look less and less like just random concidence

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom