• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump picks Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff, Steve Bannon as senior advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I did. Bannon is the owner and publisher, not the writer, which is where the distinction I asked came in.

do you have any idea what an owner and publisher does when over the span of a very long time you have hateful articles being written? I mean, if he is completely oblivious to the operations of his writing team at the very least he is defending them when contacted by outside sources asking for comments on the new hateful shit of the week. Stop playing stupid with your agenda.

I did. Bannon is the owner and publisher, not the writer, which is where the distinction I asked came in.

I have problems with this "guilty by association" stuff I'm seeing pulled by other people on the left nowadays. Do I think there is plenty enough proof that Trump is racist? Why yes, yes I do. After the scandal with his landlord/tenant disputes a few decades ago, his comments on a judge's fitness, and his diatribes on immigrations; yes. Has Bannon been in the room with many demonstrated racists? Yes, yes he has. In my own research I found out he sat at the same Conservative panel as some self-proclaimed pro-white people. But guilty by association isn't good enough, at least for me. Not for anyone, and I fear the kind of continued regression our Demotractic party is going to have if this is the way we approach our interlocutors. "You know a guy! You are racist!"
simpsons-fox-news.jpg

IJoel

It's been bad news after bad news since the election. These next 4 years will be unbearable. ☹️

Blader

Yes, Bannon is actually a proud supporter of Black Lives Matter and Planned Parenthood, it's just by sheer coincidence he happens to be the head of a white nationalist news site.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty clear that Trump is rewarding those who helped him during the campaign. Goes in line with the quote from The Guardian that said they were specifically telling people who had not been helping during the campaign to effectively fuck off. That's how he can project fear in the rest of the Republican party, showing them that if they want to get ahead they need to support him. For those who don't support him, I'm guessing we'll see what happens to them once the administration is actually in place, but my guess is few will stand openly against him. Once his administration is built and has a mix of insiders and outsiders, the rest will fall in line, those who don't will be called out and lose their seats or be forced to quit.

G0523

A anti-semite is going to be the new Chief Strategist? That's okay. I didn't feel like sleeping tonight anyway. Just gonna let anxiety do its thing.

Lime

If any of the mainstream media doesn't include the words "racist"/"white supremacist"/"White nationalist" in their description of Bannon, they completely fail at doing their job and instead they normalize the upcoming fascist administration.

Pretty clear that Trump is rewarding those who helped him during the campaign. Goes in line with the quote from The Guardian that said they were specifically telling people who had not been helping during the campaign to effectively fuck off. That's how he can project fear in the rest of the Republican party, showing them that if they want to get ahead they need to support him. For those who don't support him, I'm guessing we'll see what happens to them once the administration is actually in place, but my guess is few will stand openly against him. Once his administration is built and has a mix of insiders and outsiders, the rest will fall in line, those who don't will be called out and lose their seats or be forced to quit.

You do realize that Trump is extremely unpopular right? The big thing you need to have is having political influence not just being in a position of power, but having tons of connections inside the government or in politics. Paul Ryan opposing Donald's stupid ideas won't make him suddenly lose his job because Trump has no real way of pressuring him. All he really can do is get his get some random people to rally, but that means very little because people like Mitch, Nancy, Raul, and Henry are very safe in their states.

Going to war with his party would give him enemies not allies. Don't know why some people think people with their own influence can just be bullied.

Macam

Banned
In addition to Preibus, comes this:

Wall Street Journal said:
Another contributing factor: Mr. Trump’s victory surprised even his own top advisers, who, before Tuesday, were unable to focus the superstitious New York businessman on the 73 days between the election and inauguration, a senior aide said.

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

If any of the mainstream media doesn't include the words "racist"/"white supremacist"/"White nationalist" in their description of Bannon, they completely fail at doing their job and instead they normalize the upcoming fascist administration.

"Bannon, affiliated with a controversial news website"

you know that's as far as they'll go

Christie is a dick, but Guilliani is far, far worst.

FUck i cant feel ok for 5 seconds

It's bad, though I rather have that than having to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure that the police don't pull over to search all over me like I'm a fucking criminal.

I woudl take Christie over Guliani any day. Guliani will be fucking nighmare for all minoritiees. If you guys think it's bad how minority communities are over policed in the current criminal injustice system, it will be a 100000000000 times worse with Guliani. The FBI is going to have free reign over these communities.

I"m legit stressed out every day thinking about all of this. I was 13 when 9/11 happened, i was incredibly insecure of my identity as a Muslim but i can't say i was ever terrified like i am now.

RPGCrazied

Anyone think he is going to change his cabinet every month? I mean, he has been through what, 4 campaign managers?

If he can barely run a campaign, he sure has hell is not going to be able to run an administration.

Bannon is quite littetly goerbels. Right down to fancy himself as a film producer.

Now hes the Whitehouse.

How much grosser can this get

fester

Banned
Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal

Another contributing factor: Mr. Trump’s victory surprised even his own top advisers, who, before Tuesday, were unable to focus the superstitious New York businessman on the 73 days between the election and inauguration, a senior aide said.

During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.

It's like we're about to board a plane with a pilot who never went to flight school.

Why would we do this?

Bannon is quite littetly goerbels. Right down to fancy himself as a film producer.

Now hes the Whitehouse.

How much grosser can this get

I had to let out a "WTF" when I found out he helped relaunch Breibart using money from royalty payments he gets from the 3rd season of Seinfeld. Like what in the fuck.....
Anyone wanting to know more about how Bannon thinks should read this:
This Man Is the Most Dangerous Political Operative in America

His hatred of the started Left when "Jimmy Carter fucked everything up with Iran", he became radicalized after 9/11, then learned to hate establishment Republicans during the economic meltdown and Iraq war.

It's like we're about to board a plane with a pilot who never went to flight school.

Why would we do this?

Well not only do a majority of the passengers get easily swayed by scam artists who say they can fly without experience, many don't care if there's a crash because the other passengers will have to suffer too.

FUCK

This makes me so upset. The poison that Bannon will feed Trump and his administration. Holy shit.

Wait for the the other picks. If anything Bannon will have no allies. How I see it he'll will be trying to go against the everyone when the new administration arrives. We might hear some House of Cards and GOT type shit in the White House.

I don't know why the media is ignoring the clearly white-nationalist nature of the alt-right. It's not just another conservative group.

I don't know why the media is ignoring the clearly white-nationalist nature of the alt-right. It's not just another conservative group.

Because acknowledging it means opening deeper implications in their role in the rise of such groups. Like how they give views like that a platform in the first place and how they rarely if ever hold the feet to the fire of the people that flock to that group. If they ignore the true nature they justify the practice of acting like they, as the media, are acting neutral and have no part in why their ideals spread and take root.

Kimawolf

I just did a entire thread on this. It's been going on since Trump was announced. No "large" media outlet like CNN will call them what they are. They have been "controversial media figures/websites" or they say "alt right" as if it's some kind of explanation.

Sad and ridiculous.

Sianos

On another note, when do we stop calling them "the alt-right"? I get that the feelings of those who swear they just have "economic anxiety" but are simultaneously willing to bet everything on a man with no coherent policies are important and all, but when an architect of the "alt-right" is going to be pulling the strings of the president of hardly seems "alt" any more.

Kimawolf

On another note, when do we stop calling them "the alt-right"? I get that the feelings of those who swear they just have "economic anxiety" but are simultaneously willing to bet everything on a man with no coherent policies are important and all, but when an architect of the "alt-right" is going to be pulling the strings of the president of hardly seems "alt" any more.

We should have always called them what they are. They are the far right. the racist, sexist POWERFUL wing in the Republican party now.

Chumley

Banned
The media is going to accept and soften Trump's entire administration. Bannon will become the new normal. This is basically the nightmare scenario made real, and white supremacy will steamroll this country into the ground if people don't stand up and fight against it.

Blader

Because the news media, particularly cable and network news, are largely chickenshit afraid of offending or looking like they're not being fair and balanced.

The media is going to accept and soften Trump's entire administration. Bannon will become the new normal. This is basically the nightmare scenario made real, and white supremacy will steamroll this country into the ground if people don't stand up and fight against it.

Speaking of, I'm gonna post this video at every opportunity. People need to be on the ass of their reps at a local level as much as a state and federal level to keep the Pence and Bannon's of this administration from ruining people's lives.

We should have always called them what they are. They are the far right. the racist, sexist POWERFUL wing in the Republican party now.

I never bothered acknowledging the "alt" portion anyway. They are all cut from the same cloth. It's the same republican garbage talking points wrapped in different paper. That is it.

Zukkoyaki

Hopefully print media, websites like Huffington Post and The Atlantic, and journalists on Twitter will continuously sound the alarms over the next four years (I'm sure they will)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom