• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump picks Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff, Steve Bannon as senior advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moggio

Banned
I've combed through their article archive as well, and read some of the more controversial pieces. I have found nothing that shows that Bannon himself, or even Breitbart for that matter, are actually racist. I am a card carrying liberal who voted for Hillary, but COME ON people. Give me something other than hearsay and baseless accusations to work on.

Mate, are you having a laugh?

Mate, are you having a laugh?

No, I genuinely want someone who is claiming a man is racist to prove it. I know, it is a shocking request. I did the research myself and came up with nothing but people who have a vested interest in his demise and some controversial opinions on the current situation in Germany In Re: the violence going on there, but nothing that shows he is a racist.

giga

I've combed through their article archive as well, and read some of the more controversial pieces. I have found nothing that shows that Bannon himself, or even Breitbart for that matter, are actually racist. I am a card carrying liberal who voted for Hillary, but COME ON people. Give me something other than hearsay and baseless accusations to work on.

They have a category called Black Crime and you don't think that's racist?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is this real life

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Unsupported accusations. Give me actual, tangible examples of this man's bias. I have seen and read a lot of pie in the sky think pieces, but have found no tangible examples beyond the ones I already outlined. Give me something to sink my teeth into. An op-ed by the man himself or some flagrant interview with his own words.

He's the executive chairman of http://www.breitbart.com/

What more bias do you need?

He's the executive chairman of http://www.breitbart.com/

What more bias do you need?

Bias and racism are not the exact same thing. Nor do I think being the chairman of a news organization necessarily makes one ascribe the the philosophies of the news organization they are running. No, that is not enough. Give me a symposium he spoke at, some gaffes he made on television, rallies he may have attended. Something other than a news site that allows for people to discuss conterversial news stories.

No, I genuinely want someone who is claiming a man is racist to prove it. I know, it is a shocking request. I did the research myself and came up with nothing but people who have a vested interest in his demise and some controversial opinions on the current situation in Germany In Re: the violence going on there, but nothing that shows he is a racist.
There you go, from the horse's mouth, the human garbage collection: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

Natural conservatives can broadly be described as the group that the intellectuals above were writing for. They are mostly white, mostly male middle-American radicals, who are unapologetically embracing a new identity politics that prioritises the interests of their own demographic.

If you don't see how that spells white power, we're having a disingenuous conversation and you wasted everyone's time.

Thank you for engaging in rational dialogue. To address the information you provided, it certainly does establish that; if you agree with the premise that you can ascribe the views of the writer to that of the publisher (which I think is a tenuous proposition at best), then Mr. Bannon is certainly mysogynstic and dislikes the LGBTQ community. That isn't the same as racist though.

There you go, from the horse's mouth, the human garbage collection: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

If you don't see how that spells white power, we're having a disingenuous conversation and you wasted everyone's time.

I would recommend reading the entire article. I read that pracitular one in my research. It actually discusses the fact that there is a perceived "schism" amongst the "alt-right" community. They go on to disavow racism in that very article, and say that the mainstream alt-right wishes the "1488ers" didn't even exist.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Bias and racism are not the exact same thing. Nor do I think being the chairman of a news organization necessarily makes one ascribe the the philosophies of the news organization they are running. No, that is not enough. Give me a symposium he spoke at, some gaffes he made on television, rallies he may have attended. Something other than a news site that allows for people to discuss conterversial news stories.
Many people are saying Bannon doesn't want his kid going to school with those Jews.

Dany

Banned
I literally sighed when I saw this headline.

Anytime I see or hear a new Trump headline, I will never not get frustrated.

Scrooged

Ugh. He's not really a public facing kind of person. He works behind the scenes. Read up: https://news.vice.com/story/read-up-on-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

But even putting the accusations of his website to the side. You don't think there's a problem with a presidential candidate having the executive of a news outlet as his senior advisor?

~Kinggi~

Banned
All things considered, I wouldn't Reibus but Bannon oh my fucking god why.

Well what needs to happen is the media needs to actually recognize what Bannon is involved in. CNN didnt really address much of it at all and delivered him as a fairly intelligent, reputable person. We need direct connections for this stuff. I just hope other positions filled arent as bad.

Anarky

Banned

Am I being trolled? They have a section literally called Black Crime Jesus christ.

Toxi

Banned
EDIT

TheChocolateWar said:
Stop and frisk really is not an institution of racism, and if anything you can file a federal law suit against a police officer who innitiates a stop and frisk based on race.
Wow

Ugh. He's not really a public facing kind of person. He works behind the scenes. Read up: https://news.vice.com/story/read-up-on-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

But even putting the accusations of his website to the side. You don't think there's a problem with a presidential candidate having the executive of a news outlet as his senior advisor?

I do. I agree entirely that I think the balance of power has shifted in an unhealthy fashion, and I do not like the proposition of a news outlet CEO being part of the president's power brokers. I think it could lead to the problems we are seeing in other countries where state run media has become a big problem. I think that is a perfectly fine criticism. But I am not about to call a man racist without strong proof. Those are two different discussions.

There is no rational dialogue to be had on Bannon.

The sad thing that if Trump had lost, Bannon and his ilk would be far away from the GOP. The OH GOP chair (Kasich's campaign char) just tweeted condeming Bannon as racist. And that guy might have been the new GOP chair! But now due to 100,000 votes the GOP will fall in line behind a hatemonger. Party ID is a hell of a drug.

We are outright seeing the Joseph Goebbels of this 3rd Reich Remake come to fruition, and we still got heads wondering if he's "That bad".

Good lord.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

You really think a racist that any sort of brains is going to come out in public and call someone a nigger in this modern age?

The only thing we have is his website headlines, his ex wives court deposition and the actions of the candidate's campaign he manages. You tell me...

Mary Louise Piccard said in a 2007 court declaration that Bannon didn't want their twin daughters attending the Archer School for Girls in Los Angeles because many Jewish students were enrolled at the elite institution.

"The biggest problem he had with Archer is the number of Jews that attend," Piccard said in her statement signed on June 27, 2007.

Whether that's true, I don't know.

PS im not one to call someone a racist easily, in fact i don't never had in my personal life, but come one, this is one is easy.

Nevermind, btw I was stopped and frisked on my way to school once. It fucking sucked, especially since i was a huge police supporter, this was after 9/11, and it broke my heart.

Joe

Bannon as "chief strategist and senior counselor to the president" is a lot worse than Bannon as Chief of Staff.

The Chief of Staff does a lot of legwork to make plans happens. It's high-level political wrangling.

The Chief Strategist will be in Trump's ear actually helping to form agendas and policy.

Karl Rove was George W Bush's Senior Advisor. They later changed his title to "Deputy Chief of Staf".

Jerm411

We are outright seeing the Joseph Goebbels of this 3rd Reich Remake come to fruition, and we still got heads wondering if he's "That bad".

Good lord.

I'm a married, white male with a good job.....and I'm scared out of my goddamn mind.

I can only imagine how minorities, women, the LGBT community, etc. are feeling.

This is fucking terrifying stuff....

Anarky

Banned
Yet we still got some moderates telling minorities that it's not a big deal. Still think it's not a big deal now guys?

Scrooged

I do. I agree entirely that I think the balance of power has shifted in an unhealthy fashion, and I do not like the proposition of a news outlet CEO being part of the president's power brokers. I think it could lead to the problems we are seeing in other countries where state run media has become a big problem. I think that is a perfectly fine criticism. But I am not about to call a man racist without strong proof. Those are two different discussions.

Whether he's actually racist or not isn't the issue. I know many people here think that's the worst thing ever, but it's actually more sinister than just that. Has he ever personally said something outright racist? I don't know? But what we do know is that he fosters and is in bed with groups who are clearly racist. The worst of the alt-right. The guy is a firebrand who has declared war on both Republicans and Democrats and fights them by any means necessary. If it means codding up with white supremacists, then that's fine by him.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
You know things are bad when I'm hoping with all my being that somehow Paul Ryan remains Speaker and finds some backbone.

Same with Mcconnell and Mccain.

You really think a racist that any sort of brains is going to come out in public and call someone a nigger in this modern age?

The only thing we have is his website headlines, his ex wives court deposition and the actions of the candidate's campaign he manages. You tell me...

Whether that's true, I don't know.

PS im not one to call someone a racist easily, in fact i don't never had in my personal life, but come one, this is one is easy.

Nevermind, btw I was stopped and frisked on my way to school once. It fucking sucked, especially since i was a huge police supporter, this was after 9/11, and it broke my heart.

I have problems with this "guilty by association" stuff I'm seeing pulled by other people on the left nowadays. Do I think there is plenty enough proof that Trump is racist? Why yes, yes I do. After the scandal with his landlord/tenant disputes a few decades ago, his comments on a judge's fitness, and his diatribes on immigrations; yes. Has Bannon been in the room with many demonstrated racists? Yes, yes he has. In my own research I found out he sat at the same Conservative panel as some self-proclaimed pro-white people. But guilty by association isn't good enough, at least for me. Not for anyone, and I fear the kind of continued regression our Demotractic party is going to have if this is the way we approach our interlocutors. "You know a guy! You are racist!"

Thank you for engaging in rational dialogue.

He gave more to this discussion than you have.

One of Bannon's employees egged his followers on into harass a black woman off of Twitter with racist imagery, and that employee is still working at Breitbart. Breitbart got into the spotlight by pandering to a movement that harassed women and minorities. That doesn't at least set off any alarm bells for you?

Come on. If he's magically not racist personally, then he's pandering to racists. Why bother defending a guy like that?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The silver lining here is that this whole generation of neo-fascist fuckfaces is going to go down in flames together when Trump fails to live up to all the shit that he sold the Angry White Voters™ on.

Orayn

Stop giving bigots the benefit of the doubt.

These are actual headlines Bannon published on his "news" site, this is Trump's chief strategist & sr. counselor:

lUnIuzN.jpg

The new White House chief political strategist ran a website with a category of stories called "Black Crime."

Bannon's ex-wife swore in court in 2007 that he “didn’t want the girls going to school with Jews...He said he doesn’t like Jews..."

I have problems with this "guilty by association" stuff I'm seeing pulled by other people on the left nowadays. Do I think there is plenty enough proof that Trump is racist? Why yes, yes I do. After the scandal with his landlord/tenant disputes a few decades ago, his comments on a judge's fitness, and his diatribes on immigrations; yes. Has Bannon been in the room with many demonstrated racists? Yes, yes he has. In my own research I found out he sat at the same Conservative panel as some self-proclaimed pro-white people. But guilty by association isn't good enough, at least for me. Not for anyone, and I fear the kind of continued regression our Demotractic party is going to have if this is the way we approach our interlocutors. "You know a guy! You are racist!"

Your standard for racism appears to be be saying "nigger" for everyone to hear. Anything less, and I guess we just can't know for sure.

Sianos

Thank you for engaging in rational dialogue. To address the information you provided, it certainly does establish that; if you agree with the premise that you can ascribe the views of the writer to that of the publisher (which I think is a tenuous proposition at best), then Mr. Bannon is certainly mysogynstic and dislikes the LGBTQ community. That isn't the same as racist though.

are we going to play the "muslim isn't a race, therefore [bannon] isn't racist" card?

If you proudly call yourself a "nationalist", then red flags should immediately go up. (and that's not getting into the content of his trash website). Bannon is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom