• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it possible to make the stand on Sony X900H smaller since my table is 80 cm wide, and will it have 2.1 hdmi support on all the ports or just one?

I think only X950H has that flipped stands, so I think you can't. And it's said to support 2 ports out of the 4, number 3 and 4. eARC should be supported in the 3rd one, so probably that's where you wanna plug your next gen console in.

Tailer

I think only X950H has that flipped stands, so I think you can't. And it's said to support 2 ports out of the 4, number 3 and 4. eARC should be supported in the 3rd one, so probably that's where you wanna plug your next gen console in.
Darn shame, made me rethink of buying cx but it seems like it'll be the option since don't have any more space for a wider table. Well both of them sounds great so guess it isn't to bad beside the wallet and size
😅

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Darn shame, made me rethink of buying cx but it seems like it'll be the option since don't have any more space for a wider table. Well both of them sounds great so guess it isn't to bad beside the wallet and size
😅

You can always wall mount it though:

s0zewovetu801.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's funny that the Belgian official Sony website has now a PlayStation dedicated page with 4K@120Hz and HDMI 2.1 mentioned there:

28e3af9f5e8125773ed79792b157f81b

HDMI2.1 wordt via een toekomstige software-update beschikbaar gemaakt, alleen geschikt voor XH90.

Oops, even the UK Webpage:

Perfect for PlayStation®
Using advanced picture and audio technologies, Sony BRAVIA® brings games to life, delivering vibrant, vivid visuals with three-dimensional, atmospheric sound.

Last edited:

icerock

You hear a lot from experts, but you'll be more than amazed by OLED's HDR content, maybe let's say shocked of how good it is. Those experts have extremely high expectations, so that can be somehow tricky to see what actually matters to you.

I you love OLED and you think you won't be gaming 8+ hours daily or use it as a monitor for very long periods, and you can deal with some judder at 24-30fps then pick LG C9/B9/CX/BX.

If you have a tight budget and you still want a wonderful image with amazing motion control (240Hz) and accurate colors/picture details then go for Sony X900H. If you don't have enough space for it on the desk, you can always place it on the wall and use some of those flexible mounts. A recliner chair is the best combination but you can still use your usual desktop setup but 2 meters to the back.

I bought my recliner for like 44 OMR ($114 USD) in clearance which is a steal! Those manual recliners aren't expensive and you'll laugh at the traditional desktop setup once you start gaming on it.

My desktop is generally always on save for when I sleep, so yeah OLEDs are a no go for me.

I'm looking at a panel with good color accuracy, currently I'm using Dell Ultrasharp and even though it was little bit steep I'm very satisfied with the product. But, for next-gen, I want 4K, HDR and VRR. The monitors which fulfill those requirements are ludicrously priced. So, I guess I'll be on the hunt for a QLED. Let's see what 2021 lineup from Samsung is like.

TaySan

Banned
It just blows my mind why Sony didn't release a HDMI 2.1 OLED this year when they have a game console launching so soon. :/ I would buy a 65 inch A8H in a heartbeat otherwise. Looking for almost any excuse to upgrade to a 65 inch from my 55 inch C9.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It just blows my mind why Sony didn't release a HDMI 2.1 OLED this year when they have a game console launching so soon. :/ I would buy a 65 inch A8H in a heartbeat otherwise. Looking for almost any excuse to upgrade to a 65 inch from my 55 inch C9.

It's a compatibility issue with their processors. They're still fighting to release the HDMI 2.1 for their X1 processor and still not ready. Expect them to fully support it by next year. It's a problem with most other companies, I guess, maybe that's what Samsung looks like shit in game mode? Rushing it out just to have it slapped in their TV's?

Next CES 2021 should open up much more choices for HDMI 2.1. I respect Sony that they don't sacrifice picture quality for game mode. Just listen to what he says here: (Timestamped)

DeepSpace5D

This guy Quantum seems a bit opinionated but I thought it relevant since it’s a direct comparison between two tv‘s talked about often in this thread. The H9G looks like it has an unreal picture quality for its price. 180 dimming zones and 1,000 nits peak brightness, 480 motion rating and native 120hz panel, all for just $899 for a 65” which is $100 cheaper than the X900 55 Inch.

However obviously the X900 has the (eventual) HDMI 2.1 update Sony promised. Also reliability may play a factor when comparing Sony to Hisense, although honestly I have never owned them both to compare. I would definitely get the extended warranty for as many years as you can if going with the Hisense.

Also it seems the X900 comes much better calibrated out the box, but supposedly when dialed in right, the H9G is a beast. Tough decision for me personally, but I think I have at least narrowed my next TV down to 2.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This guy Quantum seems a bit opinionated but I thought it relevant since it’s a direct comparison between two tv‘s talked about often in this thread. The H9G looks like it has an unreal picture quality for its price. 180 dimming zones and 1,000 nits peak brightness, 480 motion rating and native 120hz panel, all for just $899 for a 65” which is $100 cheaper than the X900 55 Inch.

However obviously the X900 has the (eventual) HDMI 2.1 update Sony promised. Also reliability may play a factor when comparing Sony to Hisense, although honestly I have never owned them both to compare. I would definitely get the extended warranty for as many years as you can if going with the Hisense.

Also it seems the X900 comes much better calibrated out the box, but supposedly when dialed in right, the H9G is a beast. Tough decision for me personally, but I think I have at least narrowed my next TV down to 2.

The H9G is wonderful, picture quality, brightness, and blacks should go for it (180 dimming zones vs 32).

But it's HDMI 2.0, so sometimes it's better to slightly downgrade overall image quality for more gaming focused features. In his video the Sony looks off actually, before going to final decision it's better to see them in person.

I would still recommend X900H for gaming, as it still provides very solid picure quality and HDR with full HDMI 2.1 features.

If you have the luxury/rooms, have both ;) H9G is gorgeous and near OLED level with LCD reliability.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

The H9G is wonderful, and picture quality and, brightness, blacks should go for it (180 dimming zones vs 32).

But It's HDMI 2.0, so sometimes it's better to have slightly downgrade overall image quality for more gaming focused features. In his video the Sony looks off actually, before going to final decision it's better to see them in person.

I would still recommend X900H for gaming, as it still provides very solid picure quality and HDR with full HDMI 2.1 features.

If you have the luxury/rooms, have both ;) H9G is gorgeous and near OLED level with LCD reliability.

Sadly I can only pick one of these for the foreseeable future. I think I’m leaning towards the X900H for the more gaming-specific features and better future proofing with HDMI 2.1.

You’re right though, probably best to see them in person if possible.

Rikkori

Quantum is a clown, don't trust anything he says. He also likes to max out vibrance, pump up contrast and turn on every motion setting on his TVs. His preferences are like the most obnoxious sweetfx preset that you can think of. Worst of all - he has 0 appreciation or understanding of HDR.

Way back when a few years ago he had something useful to say, calling out this or that TV for some niggles other reviewers didn't cover but he just developed a martyr complex and went completely off the rails.

Not sure whether I'd put him below, above or on par with trash channels like Digital Trends which are just disguised advertisers, but I put 0 trust in either of them.

DeepSpace5D

Quantum is a clown, don't trust anything he says. He also likes to max out vibrance, pump up contrast and turn on every motion setting on his TVs. His preferences are like the most obnoxious sweetfx preset that you can think of. Worst of all - he has 0 appreciation or understanding of HDR.

Way back when a few years ago he had something useful to say, calling out this or that TV for some niggles other reviewers didn't cover but he just developed a martyr complex and went completely off the rails.

Not sure whether I'd put him below, above or on par with trash channels like Digital Trends which are just disguised advertisers, but I put 0 trust in either of them.

Oh wow I had no idea about the guy and just stumbled upon that while searching for a comparison video between specifically those two televisions. Thanks for the heads up! All the more reason to judge for yourself in person if possible.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I would still think H9G is a step above X900H, not sure about overall build quality but I have no reason to question that. But he exaggerated on the negatives of X900H and actually I don't like how he speaks, sounds like a spoiled, whiny girl to me that pushes me off.

Oh wow I had no idea about the guy and just stumbled upon that while searching for a comparison video between specifically those two televisions. Thanks for the heads up! All the more reason to judge for yourself in person if possible.

Indeed, you would still prefer the image quality of H9G, just like I prefer the image quality of OLED but would rather go for LCD do to my extremely long gaming/PC sessions.

Rikkori

Yup, I always tell people to do that. In the end all the numbers & techno-babble doesn't amount to all that much. Nothing beats first-hand experience.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As an unsatisfied C9 owner, I'm pretty bummed that 2020 isn't bringing any real alternative that can offer a complete package for gaming and movies. The X900H is clearly the best of the bunch on paper, but on the whole it's clear that 2020 is a transition year for Sony TVs. Their best TVs for picture quality and features won't get HDMI 2.1 and on the opposite side, the X900H is the most complete package but lacks the most advanced image features. Also, I still think I'd be happier with a 48"-49" than a 55".

So we'll have to wait a full year for a new line of TVs that can offer everything in a single product (not just from Sony, of course), and at least a year and a half for a sale on those new TVs. Had I waited before buying the C9, I'd definitely be considering the X900H now (or probably the X950H if it just had the gaming features), but as more and more information gets out, this looks less and less the ideal moment to buy a new TV. Alas, in Europe we don't get Vizio, and Hisense/TCL are budget brands with no intention of putting their best products against the LG/Sony/Samsung trifecta, so there's really no alternative but to wait for Sony on the LED front.

First world problems, yeah :messenger_winking:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As an unsatisfied C9 owner, I'm pretty bummed that 2020 isn't bringing any real alternative that can offer a complete package for gaming and movies. The X900H is clearly the best of the bunch on paper, but on the whole it's clear that 2020 is a transition year for Sony TVs. Their best TVs for picture quality and features won't get HDMI 2.1 and on the opposite side, the X900H is the most complete package but lacks the most advanced image features. Also, I still think I'd be happier with a 48"-49" than a 55".

So we'll have to wait a full year for a new line of TVs that can offer everything in a single product (not just from Sony, of course), and at least a year and a half for a sale on those new TVs. Had I waited before buying the C9, I'd definitely be considering the X900H now (or probably the X950H if it just had the gaming features), but as more and more information gets out, this looks less and less the ideal moment to buy a new TV. Alas, in Europe we don't get Vizio, and Hisense/TCL are budget brands with no intention of putting their best products against the LG/Sony/Samsung trifecta, so there's really no alternative but to wait for Sony on the LED front.

First world problems, yeah :messenger_winking:

The only reason I'm not gonna wait is because I'm gonna buy another 8K Crystal LED (microLED) Sony tv by 2024-2025, and I can comfortably upgrade TV when I wish to. Also, I'll be upgrading the whole PC to PCIe 5.0 and 8K powerhouse for video editing by then as well. 8K for me at least is massive, and for photography it can't get any less important as it's literally 33.2 MP, which I'll believe when I get an 8K video cam by then I'll ditch photography totally and only use video stills if 10-bit or raw 12-bit, for like few seconds if something pops on me like a rare animal or so.

Fuck me those speakers are beautiful.

Probably, but you better be living alone for them and far from any neighbors, lol. I'm more into headsets though so they don't amaze me.

Rikkori

As an unsatisfied C9 owner, I'm pretty bummed that 2020 isn't bringing any real alternative that can offer a complete package for gaming and movies. The X900H is clearly the best of the bunch on paper, but on the whole it's clear that 2020 is a transition year for Sony TVs.

Funny thing is Sony's been transitioning since 2016. I don't hold much hope for next year either sadly. I think the next big thing is gonna be QDCC LCDs, which is probably going to arrive before any of the major players go for miniLED and figure out a working algorithm.

Otherwise, same old same old. Samsung & Sony are just gonna keep re-selling the same LCDs, and OLED's pretty much peaked. Dual-layer LCDs have yet to deliver & seem to have massive input lag issues, while miniLED is promising but so far TCL completely whiffed and there's no indication that their LD algorithm is going to get to where it needs to before others jump in to do it properly.

I think the big thing right now is that HDMI 2.1 is genuinely a value add (at least with a PC) and the TVs are getting cheaper & bigger, but qualitatively there are no big jumps for IQ.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
qualitatively there are no big jumps for IQ.
I'm not looking for the best IQ. I thought I'd had gotten that with OLED, and in a sense it's true, but OLED motion is something I cannot unsee.

If Sony made a X950H with the full HDMI 2.1 gaming features, I think I'd be more than happy with that.

Anyway, it's amazing how hard it is for TV manufacturers to keep the basic qualities and features in all models while making improvements in the more expensive models. 25 years ago, a basic CRT would do literally everything required, and you'd have to spend big cash only for a big screen or for features than 99% of users wouldn't know what to do with. Now you can't even have the most up-to-date processor and low input lag for gaming in basic models from big manufacturers. Plasma was also exceptional on so many levels, and all these modern technologies are still struggling to catch up with that, almost a full decade after plasma peaked.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The big boys should be worried:

Xiaomi launches the 65-inch Mi TV Master Series: Gaming-friendly 120 Hz OLED with MIUI for TV priced at 12,999 yuan (US$1,840)

xiaomi_tv.jpg

65_inch.jpg

master_tv_2.jpg

master_details.jpg

delta.jpg

Xiaomi has officially launched its first OLED TV in the form of the 65-inch Mi TV Master Series set, which will be sold at a price of 12,999 yuan (US$1,840) in the company’s domestic market. The smart TV is bursting with gaming-friendly features and offers a 120 Hz panel with a 1 ms response time. MIUI for TV and a MediaTek processor are also onboard.
----
As for gamers, the Xiaomi Mi TV Master Series OLED has just as much to offer. Along with the aforementioned high refresh rate and decent response time, the 65-inch smart TV can tackle variable refresh rates (VRR), supports HDMI 2.1 connections that are all-important for the next generation of consoles, and it features the increasingly standard MEMC high-speed motion compensation technology.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The big boys should be worried:

Xiaomi launches the 65-inch Mi TV Master Series: Gaming-friendly 120 Hz OLED with MIUI for TV priced at 12,999 yuan (US$1,840)
Not that it'd ever show up in Europe, but 65" only? It's quite amazing to me that the big-screen market is more profitable for these manufacturers than the sub-50" segment. Looking for comments on the X900H I've seen lots of people reporting on their 75" or even 85", but I've never personally seen anything bigger than a 65" in a real household. I'd probably struggle to fit a 65" in my living room, and even sitting at 8-10 feet from the screen even 55" isn't always comfortable for my gaming.

I wish fully-featured TVs were still made in the 40"-49" tier, the notable exception this year being two 48" OLEDs, but having small OLEDs instead of quality LEDs in the same size is truly puzzling to me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not that it'd ever show up in Europe, but 65" only? It's quite amazing to me that the big-screen market is more profitable for these manufacturers than the sub-50" segment. Looking for comments on the X900H I've seen lots of people reporting on their 75" or even 85", but I've never personally seen anything bigger than a 65" in a real household. I'd probably struggle to fit a 65" in my living room, and even sitting at 8-10 feet from the screen even 55" isn't always comfortable for my gaming.

I wish fully-featured TVs were still made in the 40"-49" tier, the notable exception this year being two 48" OLEDs, but having small OLEDs instead of quality LEDs in the same size is truly puzzling to me.

55" like ~2 meters away looks already small to me, not too small, but average at best. Going for 65-85" X900H personally for the same distance. Bigger is always better! I think every market has some specifics, but 55"+ is becoming more mainstream here especially with lots of 75" cheap, yet good 4K tv's like from Nikai and other brands. I've seen 85" in person and there was 3 Sony's at least in one shop and all sold out in 1-2 months when discounted to around $2600 USD. The box itself is near my chest level from the ground!

I think large screens bring a lot more immersion. 27-32" gaming feels like a small upgrade over smartphone gaming. :messenger_winking_tongue: It's like you won't expect big SUV's to sell well in Europe, yet the top 2 best selling cars here are full-size SUV's (Nissan Patrol and Toyota Land Cruiser).

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Probably, but you better be living alone for them and far from any neighbors, lol. I'm more into headsets though so they don't amaze me.
It isn't even about loudness though. But a warm sound and clear bass. I'm happy with my bookshelves I was just admiring how good these look.
900x900_l3.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It isn't even about loudness though. But a warm sound and clear bass. I'm happy with my bookshelves I was just admiring how good these look.
900x900_l3.jpg

They indeed look sweet! But if they're not shaking the room at high volume then it's a waste of money. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

nomad171

Neo Member
Just gonna drop my own few cents here. I was doing a research before upgrading the tv, and settled down on 55' C9 quite a while ago. I still believe that it is the best TV you can get for a moment for mixed use (Streaming/Video playback from external sources/gaming). Yes, the HDR is not as bright as Samsung's top-tier QLEDs, and motion (de-judder) setting are too extreme out of the box, but everything is perfectly fixable with the settings. I usually play in the evenings/nights due to work schedule, so OLED fits me due to inherited suitability for dark rooms. However, even on the bright day I cannot say that I have a need to close the curtains or anything like it. That said, I suppose that if one have a really sunny and bright room, LED/QLED will do better job for viewing comfort.

With my PS4 Pro, I haven't spotted anything wrong with motion on 30FPS resolution mode in GoW, or 60FPS locked in COD:MW for that matter (using game mode, naturally). 24fps movies are going smooth as well, with de-blur and de-judder set to 2 each, Real Cinema on and OLED motion turned off (I keep it turned off for all modes, it does not make much sence to use it tbh), and needless to say that the image quality with HDR/Doulby Vision content is just so great.

One more good thing about -9 and -X LG series is the support of HGIG HDR sub-format that improves the HDR quality of the games that support it (COD:MW is in the list at the moment, not sure about any other games). I am not sure if HGIG is supported by XH90, but as soon as Sony is a member of HGIG group I believe that support should be there. AFAIK HGIG removes the double-HDR application by source and TV on some occasions if dynamic tone mapping is used (it actually substitutes DTM for game content), plus carry the HDR metadata (as HDR10/DV), making picture subjectively brighter and increasing contrast.

Instant game response (and VRR!) is actually not supported by PS4, but manually assigned game mode to the respective input works just fine. I hope PS5 will support instant game response though.

Few cents on burn-in as well - RTINGS test for older panels (7-series LGs) does not show any kind of extreme degradation within a reasonable time:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Since then, panels' pixel layouts have changed to diminish the burn-in effect more. That said, if you would like to run an OLED as a PC screen, I would be worried, too.

By the way, here in Poland we have a huge LG assembly facility where those OLEDs are made. I got in touch with LG rep before purchase, and I got informed that officially none of LGs from series 9 have ever been returned/called for warranty due to the burn-in. That said, if any significant burn-in occur, the usual practice it to grant 1 panel replacement within the standard 2-year warranty period.

Last but not the list - I have been looking for XH90 as well. However, 2 things have stopped me from going for it:

1. Only 1 port supporting HDMI 2.1 features - I am planning to get both consoles eventually (PS5 first ofc :messenger_grinning:), so I don't really want to plug and unplug those constantly;
2. Price. Here in Poland, 55XH90 costs exactly the same money (max $100-150 cheaper) as 55C9:

Should we have XH90 cheaper (as it is, let's say, in US) then it would have some great leverage.

Anyways, if anyone around is interested in any kind of info on this set, I would be glad to share more first-hand reviews :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just gonna drop my own few cents here. I was doing a research before upgrading the tv, and settled down on 55' C9 quite a while ago. I still believe that it is the best TV you can get for a moment for mixed use (Streaming/Video playback from external sources/gaming). Yes, the HDR is not as bright as Samsung's top-tier QLEDs, and motion (de-judder) setting are too extreme out of the box, but everything is perfectly fixable with the settings. I usually play in the evenings/nights due to work schedule, so OLED fits me due to inherited suitability for dark rooms. However, even on the bright day I cannot say that I have a need to close the curtains or anything like it. That said, I suppose that if one have a really sunny and bright room, LED/QLED will do better job for viewing comfort.

With my PS4 Pro, I haven't spotted anything wrong with motion on 30FPS resolution mode in GoW, or 60FPS locked in COD:MW for that matter (using game mode, naturally). 24fps movies are going smooth as well, with de-blur and de-judder set to 2 each, Real Cinema on and OLED motion turned off (I keep it turned off for all modes, it does not make much sence to use it tbh), and needless to say that the image quality with HDR/Doulby Vision content is just so great.

One more good thing about -9 and -X LG series is the support of HGIG HDR sub-format that improves the HDR quality of the games that support it (COD:MW is in the list at the moment, not sure about any other games). I am not sure if HGIG is supported by XH90, but as soon as Sony is a member of HGIG group I believe that support should be there. AFAIK HGIG removes the double-HDR application by source and TV on some occasions if dynamic tone mapping is used (it actually substitutes DTM for game content), plus carry the HDR metadata (as HDR10/DV), making picture subjectively brighter and increasing contrast.

Instant game response (and VRR!) is actually not supported by PS4, but manually assigned game mode to the respective input works just fine. I hope PS5 will support instant game response though.

Few cents on burn-in as well - RTINGS test for older panels (7-series LGs) does not show any kind of extreme degradation within a reasonable time:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Since then, panels' pixel layouts have changed to diminish the burn-in effect more. That said, if you would like to run an OLED as a PC screen, I would be worried, too.

By the way, here in Poland we have a huge LG assembly facility where those OLEDs are made. I got in touch with LG rep before purchase, and I got informed that officially none of LGs from series 9 have ever been returned/called for warranty due to the burn-in. That said, if any significant burn-in occur, the usual practice it to grant 1 panel replacement within the standard 2-year warranty period.

Last but not the list - I have been looking for XH90 as well. However, 2 things have stopped me from going for it:

1. Only 1 port supporting HDMI 2.1 features - I am planning to get both consoles eventually (PS5 first ofc :messenger_grinning:), so I don't really want to plug and unplug those constantly;
2. Price. Here in Poland, 55XH90 costs exactly the same money (max $100-150 cheaper) as 55C9:

Should we have XH90 cheaper (as it is, let's say, in US) then it would have some great leverage.

Anyways, if anyone around is interested in any kind of info on this set, I would be glad to share more first-hand reviews :messenger_beaming:

What a wonderful breakdown, man. I can't say how great your post is and how helpful it should for most OLED lovers around here! I was about to buy C9 65" but maybe if you noticed at one time here I spent 44 hours non-stop on neogaf! I would have the NeoGAF logo carved into my screen if I was using OLED's! For most users, it's one of the best tv's out there, that's why I'm still consistent with my recommendations: C9/CX/X900H.

But the X900H actually supports 2 ports, number 3 and 4 as reported from Vincent, that's Samsung Q70T that supports 1, not sure about the other Samusngs.

Graciaus

I didn't really plan on buying a TV but my 5 year old Samsung one stopped working. Not paying 100s to have someone fix it and the likely parts that need to be replaced are always out of stock. After reading this thread I am going to get the x900h. I use my TV for my pc so oled while probably better I dont really want. Now can I stomach playing on my old 40" or will I cave and not wait for a sale?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sadly I can only pick one of these for the foreseeable future. I think I’m leaning towards the X900H for the more gaming-specific features and better future proofing with HDMI 2.1.

You’re right though, probably best to see them in person if possible.

The H9G has the better picture quality over the 900H when watching 4k HDR content as I still have them sitting side by side in my basement (about to return the Hisense though)

Every other aspect the Sony wins out.

Faster UI, better 4k upscaling, obviously the gaming features, handles motion better I could go on but overall the Sony is the superior TV.

If a person just wanted a great TV for watching 4k hdr movies and such hand down I would get the H9G especially considering price.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Slim pickings for folks like me who prefer to game on their monitor. Desk space is limited (27" max I can fit in), so I can't use a TV as a monitor either. Looking at some of these 4K HDR monitors with high refresh rate, the prices are completely absurd. You could buy both PS5, Series X and still have enough change for a cheap 4K TV for the price of one! Also, the HDR on these monitors is so ass, it'll pale in comparison to some of the gimmicky HDR you find in entry level 4K sets. Perhaps, time to do a redesign of the room later this year.

What's the progress on these OLEDs from perspective of HDR? Can they stack up to QLEDs from Samsung?

I have the EVE on preorder but also looking at this display.

Though it only has HDR 600 thats still very bright sitting on your desk imo.

It only has HDMI 2.0 as far as I know thing is I don't see games next gen pushing 4k 120fps.

These games have been saying they have a high frame rate option which says 1440p or 1080p to hit 120 fps which HDMI 2.0 will handle.

icerock

I have the EVE on preorder but also looking at this display.

Though it only has HDR 600 thats still very bright sitting on your desk imo.

It only has HDMI 2.0 as far as I know thing is I don't see games next gen pushing 4k 120fps.

These games have been saying they have a high frame rate option which says 1440p or 1080p to hit 120 fps which HDMI 2.0 will handle.

Eve Spectrum looks amazing but unfortunately not something which I'll be getting in my country anytime soon. I'm looking for HDMI 2.1 mainly due to VRR and not so much for bandwidth because I agree with you, there ain't going to be many games running at 4K 120fps.

I hope more monitors come up in next few months, the options are seriously thin at the moment. Whereas if you look at TV market, it's over-saturated.

nomad171

Neo Member
What a wonderful breakdown, man. I can't say how great your post is and how helpful it should for most OLED lovers around here! I was about to buy C9 65" but maybe if you noticed at one time here I spent 44 hours non-stop on neogaf! I would have the NeoGAF logo carved into my screen if I was using OLED's! For most users, it's one of the best tv's out there, that's why I'm still consistent with my recommendations: C9/CX/X900H.

Thanks Bo! The struggle was real though. There were not so many choices for HDMI2.1 at the time I bought it, but there was some serious side-by-side comparison between LG and Samsung Q90/Q80. Hell, I was considering even Q900, and image was so good, but price and lack of 8k content diverted me from the purchase.

One more thing forgot to mention about the LG - it is so thin, and the outer layer of panel is covered with glass, so I am constantly worried that I will crack it :messenger_beaming: (in fact, my first one arrived with broken lower left angle). However, no kids so far and cat does not express any meaningful interest to it, so I guess I am safe :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And yes, I know that you are practically living here. There is no TV in existence that will hold for long with your uptime. Get some life ffs :messenger_beaming:

I would fully agree with your recommendations, with more specific detailed breakdown below (there is a lot of text, so I broke it up as Q&A). Disclaimer: the wall of text below is related purely to discussion of TVs for next-gen consoles and everyday use, and represents my personal opinion on the matter based on 6 months of reading/watching the reviews and lurking on forums. If you are looking for set with intention to use it for different (more specialized) purposes, please go ahead and check the dedicated reviews.

- If not to be used as a PC monitor;
- If the room is dimly lit, dark, or if curtains are acceptable - you would really love that amazing black color and colors intensity;
- If rather safe placement is possible - construction is sturdy overall, but LG OLED's top half is super thin and glass screen can be cracked;
- If price is not an issue, as most of OLEDs are more expensive than their LED counterparts.

For OLEDs, you would not find many options that have HDMI 2.1 on board. You would want to go for LG -9 or -X series. In theory, you also have LG -W series and Sony Z8H, but prices for those are so high that I will not even go into the details about it. If you would like to save some, try to find the B9 - there is a high chance that you will see some good deals for those. C9 is a baseline model, with BX/CX to follow (however, currently there is no reason to recommend BX over B9/C9 for any use). All those boast 4 HDMI 2.1 port that should serve you well in the future ahead.

If you are not in rush to get one, there are couple of upcoming options you may be interested in.

For US customers, Vizio is about to release a new 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 support this year:

Xiaomi is releasing their own 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 as well:

However, just time will tell how good those will be; pretty much the only thing can be said for certain - those will not cost as much as LGs. For current situation, LG -9 and -X series recommendation still holds.

- Software is not updated very often, and OS version does not making a "big" jump from gen to gen (e.g from WebOS 4 to WebOs 5 - so 9 series is not bound to have the version 5, unless LG will change its policy). Usually not a big issue as all "necessary" apps are available anyway;
- Some issues with AVR-first setups (if you are plugging your source to AVR and doing a pass-through of video signal to TV cia ARC/eARC); some degree of sound delay is observed with such setups and LG OLEDs (from 7 series). Could potentially be solved with new eARC HDMI 2.1 compatible AVRs (such as new Denon AVR-XX700H series - X6700H, X4700H and such) and/or with the software update (it is a known issue, but update is pending from LG for quite a while);
- You will need to spend some time playing around with settings for each picture mode (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision, Game SDR, Game HDR) to get optimal results;
- Not super-bright HDR - however, this is applicable to all OLEDs.

- If you are using a TV as a PC monitor;
- If you are using TV to watch the content with a lot of static elements (news, sports) - while OLED burn-in is not even remotely as common as it was before, with LED you are completely immune to one (for more info on burn-in check here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test);
- Subjectively, LCD TVs build are less "fragile" (at least in comparison to LG OLEDs). Could be important if kids/animals/any other "dangerous" environments are involved. Now, here is important to mention that I have never seen or heard about anyone broken their LG OLED TV, but its very thin body in the upper half and glass screen does not add any confidence :messenger_beaming:;
- If you are using your TV in a brightly lit room, as peak HDR brightness of LEDs (QLEDs) is usually much superior to any OLED;
- Bigger variety of different options on the market and generally lower price in comparison to LEDs (in general, it is not so much applicable for the HDMI 2.1 ones just yet, with some new models coming this year).

There are not many options here either. You are bound to buy a Samsung QLEDs (Q70T, Q80T, Q90T, Q90R, Q95T, Q800T, Q900TS, Q950TS ), LG 2020 lineup of NanoCell TVs (LG brand of Quantum dot LEDs), or new Sony XH90/X900H. According to the most of opinions I have seen and heard, the XH90 is the best out of the bunch, among the 4k models. If you have a generous budget, you may look for Samsung Q900/Q950 which are absolutely stunning - I have seen those personally, running real-life 4k content from Netflix and not a demo videos from the store. Recently released 2020 lineup of LG Nanocells were getting some good reviews as well; you may want to take a look on 8k models (99 series) that are very good for the price, too. Other then that, Vizio and TCL are about to release new models with 2.1 support in 2020 as well; however, in Europe and most countries outside of North America Vizio is not available at all, and TCL are very selective and not shipping some top-of-the-line models to many countries.

In my opinion, there is no big benefits of going for X series over 9 series. If you cannot have a good deal on the former (for example if you are living outside of US and don't have those crazy Black Friday deals), slight differences (I am not even calling those improvements with that regard) does not worth it in the end, IMO.

If to talk about real, meaningful differences of X, I can name an addition of FreeSync Premium to and newer WebOs in CX (as I mentioned before, LG is infamous of not updating the older models all the way up to the newer systems).

On the one hand, picking X over 9 you are loosing native DTS decoding (for those who need one - e.g. if you are watching digital content from hard drive or streaming platform), along with paying more for this year's model.

On the other hand, one thing that is circulating around is the difference in the bandwidth between the -9 series (full 48Gbps) and -X series (40Gbps). This is quite interesting topic, but for sake of brevity I truly believe that it is not needed to go deep into in there. There are just 2 things to mention: 40Gbps is all you need for for 4:4:4 RGB, 10-bit HDR, 4k/120 FPS. So you are all set. In addition, CX supports BFI (black frame insertion) for 120Hz and native AV1 decoding (may be relevant in future, YT and Netflix are rumored to test the format for the future rollout). There is a slightly better processor, too (this enabled AV1 support and FreeSync).

Now, you will still get all you need for next-gen and day-to-day use with C9. Does all those small updates of CX cost all the extra money, taking into account that C9 prices went down significantly? I will leave it to you to decide. For me it didn't.

Short answer: No for majority, and depends for all the rest.
Long answer: if you have a decent 4k TV that can push 4k/60 FPS, and especially if it boasts a decent-level HDR, I would not update just yet. Yes, there will be some 120fps games on PS5 and XSX, but 4k/60 will be good for absolute majority of games for a while and prevent spending unnecessary amount of money on some marginal update you may get. Wait for another year or two - Samsung OLEDs should be released next year, plus MiniLED should eventually arrive as well. On the other hand, if budget is not a problem, and/or if you currently have just 1080p TV, go for it - difference is staggering.

But the X900H actually supports 2 ports, number 3 and 4 as reported from Vincent, that's Samsung Q70T that supports 1, not sure about the other Samusngs.
Indeed, my bad here. Price argument still holds though :)
About the Samsungs - I actually like their approach with ConnectBox that they have, its pretty flexible and allows for cool cable management.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I didn't really plan on buying a TV but my 5 year old Samsung one stopped working. Not paying 100s to have someone fix it and the likely parts that need to be replaced are always out of stock. After reading this thread I am going to get the x900h. I use my TV for my pc so oled while probably better I dont really want. Now can I stomach playing on my old 40" or will I cave and not wait for a sale?

I would say wait at least around PS5 release, it should get cheaper by then!

The H9G is wonderful, picture quality, brightness, and blacks should go for it (180 dimming zones vs 32).

But it's HDMI 2.0, so sometimes it's better to slightly downgrade overall image quality for more gaming focused features. In his video the Sony looks off actually, before going to final decision it's better to see them in person.

i agree with a lot of us this but how many games are ever going to go above 120 fps or ever hit 8k? Right now we know of Dirt doing it. We have heard Ori mite and gears 5 was running at 100 or so when xbox showed it off so I see that but for new games I dont see it happening so much. Hell it seems like a lot of games are going to be sticking to 30 FPS With hdmi being new and LG reducing it on its oleds I feel you are better off waiting till next year or get the oled. If you don't do oled I feel like both the H9G and the 900H are the best options with the H9G being the better one. If it breaks down after a few years by then the tvs will be better anyway. I have had 2 hisense tvs for years and they havn't broke on me yet.

dDoc

But i also bought the 5 year warranty so I dont have to care. If I get burn in its a bonus, can just ca;; in the warranty and get my money back.

Does your warranty cover burnin for sure? read somewhere that most warranties dont include burnin cover.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks Bo! The struggle was real though. There were not so many choices for HDMI2.1 at the time I bought it, but there was some serious side-by-side comparison between LG and Samsung Q90/Q80. Hell, I was considering even Q900, and image was so good, but price and lack of 8k content diverted me from the purchase.

One more thing forgot to mention about the LG - it is so thin, and the outer layer of panel is covered with glass, so I am constantly worried that I will crack it :messenger_beaming: (in fact, my first one arrived with broken lower left angle). However, no kids so far and cat does not express any meaningful interest to it, so I guess I am safe :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And yes, I know that you are practically living here. There is no TV in existence that will hold for long with your uptime. Get some life ffs :messenger_beaming:

I would fully agree with your recommendations, with more specific detailed breakdown below (there is a lot of text, so I broke it up as Q&A). Disclaimer: the wall of text below is related purely to discussion of TVs for next-gen consoles and everyday use, and represents my personal opinion on the matter based on 6 months of reading/watching the reviews and lurking on forums. If you are looking for set with intention to use it for different (more specialized) purposes, please go ahead and check the dedicated reviews.

- If not to be used as a PC monitor;
- If the room is dimly lit, dark, or if curtains are acceptable - you would really love that amazing black color and colors intensity;
- If rather safe placement is possible - construction is sturdy overall, but LG OLED's top half is super thin and glass screen can be cracked;
- If price is not an issue, as most of OLEDs are more expensive than their LED counterparts.

For OLEDs, you would not find many options that have HDMI 2.1 on board. You would want to go for LG -9 or -X series. In theory, you also have LG -W series and Sony Z8H, but prices for those are so high that I will not even go into the details about it. If you would like to save some, try to find the B9 - there is a high chance that you will see some good deals for those. C9 is a baseline model, with BX/CX to follow (however, currently there is no reason to recommend BX over B9/C9 for any use). All those boast 4 HDMI 2.1 port that should serve you well in the future ahead.

If you are not in rush to get one, there are couple of upcoming options you may be interested in.

For US customers, Vizio is about to release a new 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 support this year:

Xiaomi is releasing their own 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 as well:

However, just time will tell how good those will be; pretty much the only thing can be said for certain - those will not cost as much as LGs. For current situation, LG -9 and -X series recommendation still holds.

- Software is not updated very often, and OS version does not making a "big" jump from gen to gen (e.g from WebOS 4 to WebOs 5 - so 9 series is not bound to have the version 5, unless LG will change its policy). Usually not a big issue as all "necessary" apps are available anyway;
- Some issues with AVR-first setups (if you are plugging your source to AVR and doing a pass-through of video signal to TV cia ARC/eARC); some degree of sound delay is observed with such setups and LG OLEDs (from 7 series). Could potentially be solved with new eARC HDMI 2.1 compatible AVRs (such as new Denon AVR-XX700H series - X6700H, X4700H and such) and/or with the software update (it is a known issue, but update is pending from LG for quite a while);
- You will need to spend some time playing around with settings for each picture mode (SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision, Game SDR, Game HDR) to get optimal results;
- Not super-bright HDR - however, this is applicable to all OLEDs.

- If you are using a TV as a PC monitor;
- If you are using TV to watch the content with a lot of static elements (news, sports) - while OLED burn-in is not even remotely as common as it was before, with LED you are completely immune to one (for more info on burn-in check here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test);
- Subjectively, LCD TVs build are less "fragile" (at least in comparison to LG OLEDs). Could be important if kids/animals/any other "dangerous" environments are involved. Now, here is important to mention that I have never seen or heard about anyone broken their LG OLED TV, but its very thin body in the upper half and glass screen does not add any confidence :messenger_beaming:;
- If you are using your TV in a brightly lit room, as peak HDR brightness of LEDs (QLEDs) is usually much superior to any OLED;
- Bigger variety of different options on the market and generally lower price in comparison to LEDs (in general, it is not so much applicable for the HDMI 2.1 ones just yet, with some new models coming this year).

There are not many options here either. You are bound to buy a Samsung QLEDs (Q70T, Q80T, Q90T, Q90R, Q95T, Q800T, Q900TS, Q950TS ), LG 2020 lineup of NanoCell TVs (LG brand of Quantum dot LEDs), or new Sony XH90/X900H. According to the most of opinions I have seen and heard, the XH90 is the best out of the bunch, among the 4k models. If you have a generous budget, you may look for Samsung Q900/Q950 which are absolutely stunning - I have seen those personally, running real-life 4k content from Netflix and not a demo videos from the store. Recently released 2020 lineup of LG Nanocells were getting some good reviews as well; you may want to take a look on 8k models (99 series) that are very good for the price, too. Other then that, Vizio and TCL are about to release new models with 2.1 support in 2020 as well; however, in Europe and most countries outside of North America Vizio is not available at all, and TCL are very selective and not shipping some top-of-the-line models to many countries.

In my opinion, there is no big benefits of going for X series over 9 series. If you cannot have a good deal on the former (for example if you are living outside of US and don't have those crazy Black Friday deals), slight differences (I am not even calling those improvements with that regard) does not worth it in the end, IMO.

If to talk about real, meaningful differences of X, I can name an addition of FreeSync Premium to and newer WebOs in CX (as I mentioned before, LG is infamous of not updating the older models all the way up to the newer systems).

On the one hand, picking X over 9 you are loosing native DTS decoding (for those who need one - e.g. if you are watching digital content from hard drive or streaming platform), along with paying more for this year's model.

On the other hand, one thing that is circulating around is the difference in the bandwidth between the -9 series (full 48Gbps) and -X series (40Gbps). This is quite interesting topic, but for sake of brevity I truly believe that it is not needed to go deep into in there. There are just 2 things to mention: 40Gbps is all you need for for 4:4:4 RGB, 10-bit HDR, 4k/120 FPS. So you are all set. In addition, CX supports BFI (black frame insertion) for 120Hz and native AV1 decoding (may be relevant in future, YT and Netflix are rumored to test the format for the future rollout). There is a slightly better processor, too (this enabled AV1 support and FreeSync).

Now, you will still get all you need for next-gen and day-to-day use with C9. Does all those small updates of CX cost all the extra money, taking into account that C9 prices went down significantly? I will leave it to you to decide. For me it didn't.

Short answer: No for majority, and depends for all the rest.
Long answer: if you have a decent 4k TV that can push 4k/60 FPS, and especially if it boasts a decent-level HDR, I would not update just yet. Yes, there will be some 120fps games on PS5 and XSX, but 4k/60 will be good for absolute majority of games for a while and prevent spending unnecessary amount of money on some marginal update you may get. Wait for another year or two - Samsung OLEDs should be released next year, plus MiniLED should eventually arrive as well. On the other hand, if budget is not a problem, and/or if you currently have just 1080p TV, go for it - difference is staggering.

Indeed, my bad here. Price argument still holds though :)
About the Samsungs - I actually like their approach with ConnectBox that they have, its pretty flexible and allows for cool cable management.

Man, what a wonderful post you made there! You sum it up in a very elegant way! Thanks a lot for your amazing, thoughtful post and hope new buyers find it useful in their decision! Glad to have you here, bro ;)

i agree with a lot of us this but how many games are ever going to go above 120 fps or ever hit 8k? Right now we know of Dirt doing it. We have heard Ori mite and gears 5 was running at 100 or so when xbox showed it off so I see that but for new games I dont see it happening so much. Hell it seems like a lot of games are going to be sticking to 30 FPS With hdmi being new and LG reducing it on its oleds I feel you are better off waiting till next year or get the oled. If you don't do oled I feel like both the H9G and the 900H are the best options with the H9G being the better one. If it breaks down after a few years by then the tvs will be better anyway. I have had 2 hisense tvs for years and they havn't broke on me yet.

For the H9G and X900H it's better to ask HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , although it seems that it looks better, there are some critical things that made him take X900H over it: Motion, upscaling, HDMI 2.1, faster UI etc.

So it's better if you have a question to throw it towards him so he can check it and give a feedback before he returns H9G to the shop ;)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The H9G is a gorgeous TV and has a better picture then the 900H in 4k HDR content from the fact it has a better contrast ratio, more dimming zones and higher nits.

The H9G will also do 1080p @ 120fps with the Xbox One X so you will still get the high frame rate options from games like Gears 5 and Dirt because those games wont be running that 120 fps at 4k anyhow.

Gaming on the H9G is great the game mode seems to have very low input lag and the picture stays very nice.

Now the reasons I picked the Sony over the Hisense including several things Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem said.

The main reason I am returning the Hisense is this one at least is buggy. It has rebooted a few times while watching TV making me go through the whole set up process. Plus it has frozen a couple of times while searching through apps and some of the apps that I donwloaded simply wouldnt work.. All of this could potentially be fixed via firmware update.

The Sony UI is so much snappier.

The Sony handles motion better and the 4k upscaling is fantastic. Even watching old movies like Days of Thunder (old NASCAR movie) over Directv made the movie look great.

Plus having the HDMI 2.1 because I will be buying a 3080ti at launch and will push games 4k 120fps on this thing.

Here are some games running on the Hisense and it handles them great:

Kuranghi

Possibly that an indicator that there won't be many games with a 4K@120hz output mode on the PS5, at launch anyway. I think you'll see a new image processor (X1 Super Duper Ultimate) in the fall or CES 2021 so prob best to wait anyway I'd say.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Possibly that an indicator that there won't be many games with a 4K@120hz output mode on the PS5, at launch anyway. I think you'll see a new image processor (X1 Super Duper Ultimate) in the fall or CES 2021 so prob best to wait anyway I'd say.

We wont see any visually demanding games running 4k 120 on next gen but maybe when we get the Pro versions :)

Thinking about getting a new tv some time this yr was looking into the lg OLED48CXPUB,48 in. Is the perfect size cause I have a small room,any opinions on this model?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This guy has Sony X900H 85" and sits only 8 ft away (~2.4m)! It's about how far I sit, makes me think of 85" even more!

This guy had LG B9 OLED and speaks of better overall picture quality with X900H minus blacks, and says that he had some ghost effect on Samsung Q80T.

Same guy showing his picture settings:

Those guys have few subscribers so better ask them directly for better feedback.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Just to add to the discussion of how to set things up and figuring out what to do living room vs desk type config.

What I've done for years, is have a computer desk right next to my TV stand. The PC's video out goes to both the TV and PC monitor and usually I just leave it on clone mode.

This way, you can seamlessly switch between couch gaming with a controller, or sitting at the desk for an FPS or RTS type game (or just to use Windows). This is my "public PC" my family will use occasionally because it's out there and convenient, and even they know that all they need to do to watch youtube or whatever using it is turn the TV on and presto, desktop on the TV.

I have a weak netbook in my backpack and "yesterdays gaming PC" in my bedroom for all other types of work or playing games alone.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just to add to the discussion of how to set things up and figuring out what to do living room vs desk type config.

What I've done for years, is have a computer desk right next to my TV stand. The PC's video out goes to both the TV and PC monitor and usually I just leave it on clone mode.

This way, you can seamlessly switch between couch gaming with a controller, or sitting at the desk for an FPS or RTS type game (or just to use Windows). This is my "public PC" my family will use occasionally because it's out there and convenient, and even they know that all they need to do to watch youtube or whatever using it is turn the TV on and presto, desktop on the TV.

I have a weak netbook in my backpack and "yesterdays gaming PC" in my bedroom for all other types of work or playing games alone.

Sounds like a smart setup. But for youtube/netflix alone I would rather use the smart tv directly. Picture quality, sound quality is just better than using the PC from my experience as it runs native in the tv system. But of course, PC has much more uses than that. Thanks for the addition!

Top Bottom