• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Just when I thought I was getting used to OLED motion... I started Paper Mario on Switch and NOPE. The very first scene of the game has the background panning from left to right and the stutter is just horrible in Game Mode.
Someone in the OLED thread asked to stop talking about stutter, but I don't see why that shouldn't be discussed, seeing that any OLED performs significantly worse than LEDs in RTINGs.com's charts regarding stutter.

Does anyone have direct experience of the Samsung QT80? I'm looking into 49" FALD LEDs and this one seems the best for mixed use (movies + games) at the moment. The Sony X950H (aka XH95) seems a little better on the IQ side, but it's much more expensive and appears to be a little behind the Samsung with its gaming features.

I'm just worried the 49" is gimped like the 49" Q70R was in 2019. I know 55" is a much more popular size, but even sitting at 2.5+ metres from the screen, 55" isn't optimal for me with games (it's ideal for movies and TV though).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I have a technical question. I expect it to be a little baffling, and to show my poor grasp of the matter.

As you may know from some previous posts of mine, I am having trouble with image stuttering since I switched my trusty old plasma for a LG C9. A few days ago I started Paper Mario on Switch, and the stutter in horizontal motion is immediately apparent on the C9. The lines of the image appear to double as soon as the image starts scrolling from side to side. Foreground objects suffer from this much more than background objects, with the doubling effect getting progressively less distracting the farthest an object is from the foreground. This is very apparent In Mario's eyes, which in this game are just two vertical slits. They appear to double, with a very noticeable stuttering effect, whenever Mario moves sideways.

Yesterday I tried the game on two different LED TV while visiting some friends, and... no stutter on Mario's eyes. I can absolutely swear on this. If there was the faintest hint of stutter, it was invisible to me in motion. Yes, some of the bigger shapes in the backgrounds would show a faint trace of the same effect, but it was completely tolerable to me.
This had me wondering. Is it possible that the slight delay in image refresh on LED compared to OLED can be so noticeable in motion? All TVs were in gaming mode too, so we can exclude the influence of any motion interpolation.

Then I looked up my friends' TV models, and I found out that both those TVs mounted 60Hz-only panels. All medium- and high-tier TVs today run at 120Hz instead, and 120Hz is considered practically a necessity for modern gaming TVs (hence this very thread).

However, I was under the impression that 120Hz panels should make the image clearer, reducing blur and allowing for greater picture and motion clarity (and to allow for more aggressive motion interpolation). Still, what I saw on my friends' LED TVs wasn't blur. It was the absence, virtually complete to my eyes, of the stuttering that I see all the time on my OLED set.

Anyone can explain this to me? Am I crazy? Are my eyes broken? Am I doomed to see the stutter on any modern 120Hz TV? My fears are somewhat reinforced by this comment on the AVS Forum. The poster there seems to have witnessed the same problem with motion after switching from a 60Hz old TV to the new Sony XH900, that I was considering to replace the C9.

Halp?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have a technical question. I expect it to be a little baffling, and to show my poor grasp of the matter.

As you may know from some previous posts of mine, I am having trouble with image stuttering since I switched my trusty old plasma for a LG C9. A few days ago I started Paper Mario on Switch, and the stutter in horizontal motion is immediately apparent on the C9. The lines of the image appear to double as soon as the image starts scrolling from side to side. Foreground objects suffer from this much more than background objects, with the doubling effect getting progressively less distracting the farthest an object is from the foreground. This is very apparent In Mario's eyes, which in this game are just two vertical slits. They appear to double, with a very noticeable stuttering effect, whenever Mario moves sideways.

Yesterday I tried the game on two different LED TV while visiting some friends, and... no stutter on Mario's eyes. I can absolutely swear on this. If there was the faintest hint of stutter, it was invisible to me in motion. Yes, some of the bigger shapes in the backgrounds would show a faint trace of the same effect, but it was completely tolerable to me.
This had me wondering. Is it possible that the slight delay in image refresh on LED compared to OLED can be so noticeable in motion? All TVs were in gaming mode too, so we can exclude the influence of any motion interpolation.

Then I looked up my friends' TV models, and I found out that both those TVs mounted 60Hz-only panels. All medium- and high-tier TVs today run at 120Hz instead, and 120Hz is considered practically a necessity for modern gaming TVs (hence this very thread).

However, I was under the impression that 120Hz panels should make the image clearer, reducing blur and allowing for greater picture and motion clarity (and to allow for more aggressive motion interpolation). Still, what I saw on my friends' LED TVs wasn't blur. It was the absence, virtually complete to my eyes, of the stuttering that I see all the time on my OLED set.

Anyone can explain this to me? Am I crazy? Are my eyes broken? Am I doomed to see the stutter on any modern 120Hz TV? My fears are somewhat reinforced by this comment on the AVS Forum. The poster there seems to have witnessed the same problem with motion after switching from a 60Hz old TV to the new Sony XH900, that I was considering to replace the C9.

Halp?
Some Switch games require me to mess with the settings to reduce blurriness/jaggies. Specially the blacks. Are you playing on game mode?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Some Switch games require me to mess with the settings to reduce blurriness/jaggies. Specially the blacks. Are you playing on game mode?
Yes, I've stated that in my post.

But I've actually had to turn it off, set the image mode to Standard and use some motion interpolation because the unique artstyle of Paper Mario looks terrible to me in motion on the C9 in game mode. I don't like soap opera, fake-60fps effect and the added input lag, but I simply cannot put up with playing with that kind of stutter.

Ulysses 31

Halp?
It makes the image clearer if the signal is 120 Hz.

Being a 120 Hz Panel unfortunately doesn't mean it's always refreshing at 120 Hz, current gen consoles output at 60 Hz(Xbox One can do 120 Hz), the TV doesn't double the images to display at 120Hz to my knowledge.

Weird thing for me is that the LG CX stutters worse than the Q900R according to RTINGS scores but I found its stutter less annoying. The CX's stutter was more "motion blurred between 2 frames" there the Q900R's stutter was annoying back and forth flickering of frames. o_O

On the CX I tried gamig outside of game mode with De-Judder at 10 and the input lag wasn't annoying at all. 👀

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I've stated that in my post.

But I've actually had to turn it off, set the image mode to Standard and use some motion interpolation because the unique artstyle of Paper Mario looks terrible to me in motion on the C9 in game mode. I don't like soap opera, fake-60fps effect and the added input lag, but I simply cannot put up with playing with that kind of stutter.
I didn't see the post from a few days ago.

All game mode does is turn off "enhancements" to reduce lag I believe so I don't see how changing it to "standard" makes it better. What are your settings on your switch? Other tv settings? dynamic contrast ect?

Ulysses 31

I didn't see the post from a few days ago.

All game mode does is turn off "enhancements" to reduce lag I believe so I don't see how changing it to "standard" makes it better. What are your settings on your switch? Other tv settings? dynamic contrast ect?
Game mode, on LG CX at least, doesn't have a de-judder setting so you'll have to use another mode like standard. :lollipop_grinning:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
See the quote below for "enhancements".
This isn't a Switch-only issues. Sub-60fps stuff from XBox One does the same. Paper Mario was just the latest example in my personal experience.

Game mode, on LG CX at least, doesn't have a de-judder setting so you'll have to use another mode like standard. :lollipop_grinning:
Exactly. Neither it does on the C9. All you can do in Game mode on LG OLEDs is to activate BFI (which at least has incremental settings on the CX, on the C9 it's as extreme as it gets and flickers like a wall of CRTs, lol).

Weird thing for me is that the LG CX stutters worse than the Q900R according to RTINGS scores but I found its stutter less annoying. The CX's stutter was more "motion blurred between 2 frames" there the Q900R's stutter was annoying back and forth flickering of frames. o_O

On the CX I tried gamig outside of game mode with De-Judder at 10 and the input lag wasn't annoying at all. 👀
The increase in input lag on LG's OLEDs isn't as bad as in many medium-tier TVs (my friends have a LG LED that has 11ms of lag in Game mode and 110ms in other modes, lol), but it's still not the best for gaming.

I've read Samsung's top QLEDs have some bad motion too. I've read comments about the Q90R having bad stutter in panning shots, while Rtings.com rated the Q70R and the Q80T among the best TVs for stutter.

De-judder at 10 is worse for me than a little blur, imagine that.

The bottom line is, motion on the C9 looks unnatural to me unless it's a 60fps game or a movie with motion interpolation set to Clear.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I've read Samsung's top QLEDs have some bad motion too. I've read comments about the Q90R having bad stutter in panning shots, while Rtings.com rated the Q70R and the Q80T among the best TVs for stutter.
QLEDs have bad stutter if you don't use the game motion plus de-judder. When I was talking about the stutter of the Q900R that's with no game motion plus. That's one clear advantage Samsung has over LG in game mode atm.

Anki

Banned
Hi guys, i have a 1080p sony 49” kdl-wd755 which has amazing 1080p image but after seeing philips 4k ambilight i now really want to get one.

Its this one https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/58PUS7304_12/7300-series-4k-uhd-led-android-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided

I can get it for 500euros. I know its not some high end 4k tv and probably has some shity hdr but the reason i want to get it is ambilight, bigger size 49”->58”, price and of course 4k.
Anybody has this tv to share their experience?

Jon Neu

Banned
Hi guys, i have a 1080p sony 49” kdl-wd755 which has amazing 1080p image but after seeing philips 4k ambilight i now really want to get one.

Its this one https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/58PUS7304_12/7300-series-4k-uhd-led-android-tv-with-ambilight-3-sided

I can get it for 500euros. I know its not some high end 4k tv and probably has some shity hdr but the reason i want to get it is ambilight, bigger size 49”->58”, price and of course 4k.
Anybody has this tv to share their experience?

I have a 65' Phillips TV with ambilight.

I never set it on, for me is just a fad that grows boring rather quickly.

onesvenus

So I was thinking on buying a CX but seeing the problems with the lag and stutter makes me worry. Is it a good buy or there are better options?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I was thinking on buying a CX but seeing the problems with the lag and stutter makes me worry. Is it a good buy or there are better options?

I think it's a wonderful TV overall, I've never seen it in person, but some videos aren't looking good at 30fps. Before buying if you can have like 30fps gaming video on a USB and take it to the shop and test it on game mode on the wanted tv, and see how it looks.

For me, I still think X900H is the best value for next gen, but I narrow my recommendations to C9/CX/X900H. Overall, nothing beats Sony in color accuracy, upscaling, motion, but you should see for yourself and choose what you think is better for you.

Ulysses 31

Samsung high(er) end QLEDs as alternative for the game motion plus, brightness and more vivid color profile.

I own both a CX and a Q950TS and the 30 fps stutter on CX wasn't as bad as I'd feared so far... 👀

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Can you give me a model number?
4K Q80T/Q90T/Q95T
8K Q800T/Q900T/Q950TS

Difference between Q90T/Q95T is that Q95T comes with a connectbox to hook everything up to instead of the TV itself and is also available in a bigger size, same case for Q900T/Q950TS. To my knowledge all these TVs only have 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Samsung high(er) end QLEDs as alternative for the game motion plus, brightness and more vivid color profile.

I own both a CX and a Q950TS and the 30 fps stutter on CX wasn't as bad as I'd feared so far... 👀
I’d like to see Samsung’s game motion plus in action, but I’ve seen videos showing that their game mode sacrifices some image quality. I doubt it’s very noticeable while you’re playing and without a side-by-side comparison with a different TV, though.

If we are to believe reviews, actually, all Samsung’s QLED models should be very good for gaming. The big difference in the higher-end models is FALD for a better movie experience, but it seems that all their QLEDs focus on good/excellent input lag. And really, when you go over the $500/$600 treshold, it’s hard to be unsatisfied with most TVs when it comes to image quality for games. As of now, though, I think that LG’s OLEDs are the only TVs have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports and the full set of 2.1 functions before next year? Not even the X900H will have all the functions on all ports.

scalman

but one person watching this on phone , other on cheap hdtv and someone on OLED 4k Lg maybe and they all seeing different picture ... so what it means rly here ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
but one person watching this on phone , other on cheap hdtv and someone on OLED 4k Lg maybe and they all seeing different picture ... so what it means rly here ?

It's better to have all recommendation of all people here, take notes, and see what negatives you can live with, then check a tv shop by yourself and be the judge for your wallet ;)

Dontero

Banned
I am waiting to switch my old TV when all of those will be fulfilled:

- OLED (or same quality wise)
- 120hz
- HDR
- VRR

And that day is aproaching fast. First models are already selling but they are bit too expensive for me. Probably in next 2-3 years they should get much cheaper and this is when i will make switch.

scalman

im still on my 1080p HDTV but good one at least i thinkg its good one from SOny KDL 40w605b. i think its better to have good maybe lower res TV then cheap higher res TV out there. but it will be time i think with next gen when i twill upgrade to 4k there. again not to best ones not to OLED i think but to something good for gaming and good for blacks and HDR.
but someone whos on laptop OLED 4k screen 15' its allready like miles ahead from everyone compare to PPI at least. just imagine how detailed and clean picture must look on small 15' on 4k on OLED . you cant just beat that with 50' oled 4k screen can you ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
im still on my 1080p HDTV but good one at least i thinkg its good one from SOny KDL 40w605b. i think its better to have good maybe lower res TV then cheap higher res TV out there. but it will be time i think with next gen when i twill upgrade to 4k there. again not to best ones not to OLED i think but to something good for gaming and good for blacks and HDR.
but someone whos on laptop OLED 4k screen 15' its allready like miles ahead from everyone compare to PPI at least. just imagine how detailed and clean picture must look on small 15' on 4k on OLED . you cant just beat that with 50' oled 4k screen can you ?

I would sincerely say that any cheap 4K will be much better than high end 1080p at this point. It's always better to have some raw 4K footage of gameplay or videos on a flash and play it on tv's in a shop and see by yourself on normal and game modes.

I am waiting to switch my old TV when all of those will be fulfilled:

- OLED (or same quality wise)
- 120hz
- HDR
- VRR

And that day is aproaching fast. First models are already selling but they are bit too expensive for me. Probably in next 2-3 years they should get much cheaper and this is when i will make switch.

Keep an eye for Xiaomi and Vizio, and see as much reviews as possible.

Rbk_3

Been using TV for a monitor since 2007. I will never go back to monitor and sitting behind desk.

Alternatively, I just bought an LG 27GL850 to go along with my C9. For somethings, you just need a desk. It will be nice to have the option of both.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Alternatively, I just bought an LG 27GL850 to go along with my C9. For somethings, you just need a desk. It will be nice to have the option of both.

That's why the market is quite diverse, everyone has his own needs ;) But for console next gen gaming, I can't suggest monitors over HDMI 2.1 TV's, especially with a recliner :)

BTW, you gonna walk alone.:messenger_smiling_horns:

I would say wait for CES 2021, most of them either 8-bit panels or lacking HDMI 2.1. It's better when you invest you get the whole package.
Looked into 10bit panels for the first time, now I want one....

fuck you Bo!

gregs_frog_2944.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Looked into 10bit panels for the first time, now I want one....

fuck you Bo!

gregs_frog_2944.png

Well, Samsung QNED might be the first 12-bit panel. But 12-bit is mostly good for viewing raw material. 6K@30fps on blackmagic camera at 12-bit can consume 256GB within 17 minutes! But it's always better to have wider color gamut support, especially versatile for people using it for PC like me and deal with raw photos and videos (I'm still with 8-bit videos so far).

BTW, all tv's are 10-bit so far.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

That's why the market is quite diverse, everyone has his own needs ;) But for console next gen gaming, I can't suggest monitors over HDMI 2.1 TV's, especially with a recliner :)

BTW, you gonna walk alone.:messenger_smiling_horns:

Oh yeah, I would definitely buy a TV with HDMI 2.1 for next gen consoles if I only had one option.

onesvenus

I still think X900H is the best value for next gen, but I narrow my recommendations to C9/CX/X900H
Difference between Q90T/Q95T is that Q95T comes with a connectbox to hook everything up to instead of the TV itself and is also available in a bigger size, same case for Q900T/Q950TS. To my knowledge all these TVs only have 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

My idea was to connect my Home Theater via eARC but it seems CX has some problems with it.
After looking at both X900H and Q95T I'm even more confused.
X900H spec sheet says that eARC will be added in a future firware update
Q95T seems to also have some problems with eARC
In addition to that I'd love to have more than 1 HDMI 2.1 ports so I can eventually connect both the XSX and PS5.

So it seems I'll have to wait a little bit more to see if some new TV appears before next year that support eARC and has multiple HDMI 2.1 ports :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My idea was to connect my Home Theater via eARC but it seems CX has some problems with it.
After looking at both X900H and Q95T I'm even more confused.
X900H spec sheet says that eARC will be added in a future firware update
In addition to that I'd love to have more than 1 HDMI 2.1 ports so I can eventually connect both the XSX and PS5.

So it seems I'll have to wait a little bit more to see if some new TV appears before next year that support eARC and has multiple HDMI 2.1 ports :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

X900H will have port 3+4 to support full HDMI 2.1 features, even if you look at reviews they look shinier and stand out compared to 1+2. The firmware is most likely being optimized for PS5 right now, and for XSX next, no worries about that. My Sony XD70 back in 2016 had no HDR then got a firmware update to unlock it.

Ulysses 31

I have a HW-Q90R soundbar hooked up to my Q950TS(Samsung things work nicer together) and a Sonos Arc on my LG CX with X1X and PS4Pro.

Yeah, X1X won't send 5.1/7.1 uncompressed through eARC but I use Dolby Atmos anyway. Sonos Arc is working fine otherwise on LG CX, I don't use voice commands or music streaming services though.
On PS4 Pro I have to set Dolby or DTS to get surround, PLCM only gives stereo unless I connect it directly to the HW-Q90R, same with Switch to get surround LPCM.

Can confirm Sonos Arc wouldn't work if eARC was set to auto on my Q950TS. The HW-Q90R is working fine with eARC as long as sound format is set to passthrough.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have a HW-Q90R soundbar hooked up to my Q950TS(Samsung things work nicer together) and a Sonos Arc on my LG CX with X1X and PS4Pro.

Yeah, X1X won't send 5.1/7.1 uncompressed through eARC but I use Dolby Atmos anyway. Sonos Arc is working fine otherwise on LG CX, I don't use voice commands or music streaming services though.
On PS4 Pro I have to set Dolby or DTS to get surround, PLCM only gives stereo unless I connect it directly to the HW-Q90R, same with Switch to get surround LPCM.

Can confirm Sonos Arc wouldn't work if eARC was set to auto on my Q950TS. The HW-Q90R is working fine with eARC as long as sound format is set to passthrough.

Wonderful, what size is yours? I wanna put you as a reference if someone looking for 8K Q950TS.

Last edited:
Well, Samsung QNED might be the first 12-bit panel. But 12-bit is mostly good for viewing raw material. 6K@30fps on blackmagic camera at 12-bit can consume 256GB within 17 minutes! But it's always better to have wider color gamut support, especially versatile for people using it for PC like me and deal with raw photos and videos (I'm still with 8-bit videos so far).

BTW, all tv's are 10-bit so far.
I'm still running a 60' fullhd tv from many years ago. I only got my tv for 1-2 hours of netflix a month.

May I ask a stupid question? What's the link between HDR and 10 bit panels?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm still running a 60' fullhd tv from many years ago. I only got my tv for 1-2 hours of netflix a month.

May I ask a stupid question? What's the link between HDR and 10 bit panels?

It's the color gamut. 10-bit has wider color gamut so it provides wider color range, so is 12-bit. 8-bit sometimes suffer from banding in the sky due to the lack of smooth grades of color.

bitsc200-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So imagine having the panel itself 8-bit, and I think most 10-bit tv's try to lesser the effect of 8-bit videos like on youtube to some degree, and some even have artificial processing built in. Smaller details can as well not be shown as cleaner as they should be.

Ulysses 31

It's the color gamut. 10-bit has wider color gamut so it provides wider color range, so is 12-bit. 8-bit sometimes suffer from banding in the sky due to the lack of smooth grades of color.

So imagine having the panel itself 8-bit, and I think most 10-bit tv's try to lesser the effect of 8-bit videos like on youtube to some degree, and some even have artificial processing built in. Smaller details can as well not be shown as cleaner as they should be.
8 bit displays often also have FRC to display more colors than normally possible. A pure 10 bit panel is obviously better but 8 bit + frc can appear as good to untrained eyes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
8 bit displays often also have FRC to display more colors than normally possible. A pure 10 bit panel is obviously better but 8 bit + frc can appear as good to untrained eyes.

Thanks for the details! I personally can't wait for 12-bit panels, Sony already providing 4K@120fps 16-bit with their FX9 camcorder! It will help more with raw footage editing.

Top Bottom