• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV's Vs Monitors, and Why TV's Make Much More Sense for Next Gen Consoles

BluRayHiDef

Banned
What? LEDs are at technological dead end, major display manufacturers are divesting from the technology and ceasing production of displays. LEDs will rather soon be relegated to the low-end segment of the market by various Chinese brands.

This couldn't be any further from the truth. Yes, there are some TV manufacturers that are focusing on alternative technology, such as QD-OLED and QNED, which are being developed by Samsung Display. However, have you heard about Mini LED and Micro LED? Samsung Electronics (not to be confused with Samsung Display), LG, and TCL are heavily investing in this technology.

LG just released their first Micro LED TV.

Samsung Electronics is so hell-bent on LED LCD technology, that they have rejected Samsung Display's aforementioned QD-OLED and QNED technology.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What? Brands such as Vizio and Samsung are just hopping on the OLED bandwagon. How is it a dying tech?

It hit the ceiling of improvement, theoretically. Doesn't mean they'll be discontinued soon, but for example there are 4,000 nit tv's like that expensive one from Sony, and it's still LCD. MicroLED (Crystal LED from Sony) should hit around 4,000-10,000 nits in the future, that's pretty far from OLED's reach.

But hey, scientists are there to find new solutions, we might get a surprise by an OLED tech that's reliable and can hit high peak brightness as well.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It hit the sealing of improvement, theoretically. Doesn't mean they'll be discontinued soon, but for example there are 4,000 nit tv's like that expensive one from Sony, and it's still LCD. MicroLED (Crystal LED from Sony) should hit around 4,000-10,000 nits in the future, that's pretty far from OLED's reach.

But hey, scientists are there to find new solutions, we might get a surprise by an OLED tech that's reliable and can hit high peak brightness as well.

OLED will be succeeded by QD-OLED.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's all agree that each tech had its positives and negatives. You just pick the TV that meets your demands and deal with the negatives. Until CLED and MicroLED, there is no perfect tv. To me, OLED is an extreme gamble as I abuse my tv for endless hours non stop up to 2+ days in rare occasions! But still an impressive one.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm glad to see a new TV enthusiast thread like this one, but I think the real point that has been demonstrated here is that the price delta between console and PC gaming is gone.

Ulysses 31

I'm glad to see a new TV enthusiast thread like this one, but I think the real point that has been demonstrated here is that the price delta between console and PC gaming is gone.
? o_O

Being a PC enthusiast will still cost a lot more.

An RTX 3080TI will cost more than XSX and PS5 combined. And good HDMI 2.1/DisplayPort 2.0 monitors will also cost a fair bit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You mean adding the price of the tv to pc? You know we don't plug our PC's to the wall and use our imagination to view :messenger_winking_tongue: . Many are still in 1080p and this should serve like a great guide for them, you can comfortably stay with a 4K@60Hz HDR tv and be 90% satisfied ;) I'm using my PC on the tv as well, but using netflix natively from the tv itself.

splattered

So with 120fps coming to gaming consoles i'm assuming existing TVs with HDMI 2.0 that have 120Hz aren't going to be compatible with the 120fps mode?

I have the older TCL 55R615 TVs in my house, i looked up the specs and it says 3840x2160p 120Hz Clear Motion Index CMI.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So with 120fps coming to gaming consoles i'm assuming existing TVs with HDMI 2.0 that have 120Hz aren't going to be compatible with the 120fps mode?

I have the older TCL 55R615 TVs in my house, i looked up the specs and it says 3840x2160p 120Hz Clear Motion Index CMI.

That's motion clarity refresh rate, I think Sony had something like 240Hz in older tv's and it should be much faster now, but that regards motion tech:

Some HDMI 2.0 TV's can run 1080p@120Hz. You don't need to upgrade if you already own a decent 4K@60Hz HDR though.

splattered

That's motion clarity refresh rate, I think Sony had something like 240Hz in older tv's and it should be much faster now, but that regards motion tech:

Some HDMI 2.0 TV's can run 1080p@120Hz. You don't need to upgrade if you already own a decent 4K@60Hz HDR though.

Hmm how do i find out if it can do 1080p@120 then?

I would be totally fine with 1080p/120 and 4k/60 for now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hmm how do i find out if it can do 1080p@120 then?

I would be totally fine with 1080p/120 and 4k/60 for now.

Not sure, you either check rtings.com or reviews. Check that on rtings.com and couldn't find that exact model. I only know Hisense H9G having 1080p@120Hz mode and now Sony XH90 before the HDMI 2.1 firmware. Probably there are other tv's supporting that, but not sure if the consoles will do support that?

Ulysses 31

ceiling.

No display technology is maxed out yet, it’s just some are closer to perfect than others. Always room for improvement.
I'm willing to bet 2020 OLEDs have 99% of the performance of 2021 OLEDs just like 2019 --> 2020. Mayor improvement will likely be cheaper price when inkjet printing production ramps up but that does nothing for the quality of the emitters.

Bolivar687

Banned
? o_O

Being a PC enthusiast will still cost a lot more.

An RTX 3080TI will cost more than XSX and PS5 combined. And good HDMI 2.1/DisplayPort 2.0 monitors will also cost a fair bit.

Most PC gamers will not own a 3080Ti.

You mean adding the price of the tv to pc? You know we don't plug our PC's to the wall and use our imagination to view :messenger_winking_tongue: . Many are still in 1080p and this should serve like a great guide for them, you can comfortably stay with a 4K@60Hz HDR tv and be 90% satisfied ;) I'm using my PC on the tv as well, but using netflix natively from the tv itself.

Just looking at the proposition of having a 4K, HDR, 120Hz, low latency TV is easily going to put you in $1,500 territory. I watched the video you linked about budget gaming TVs and combined with a console you are still looking at a $1,200 proposition. That is the threshold where I tell someone who cares about gaming visuals to take full control over it and build their own PC. Yes, you are going to watch a lot more on that display than your console games but the same goes for your PC, especially with working from home in the current global situation and the productivity and comfort that cheap low latency monitors provide on that front.

This is subjective, but I have always sacrificed color and imaging for refresh rate and latency. My first high refresh monitor six years ago was somewhere from $200-250 and the 165Hz, 1440p, GSync Display I upgraded to was on sale for $364.83. Yes, I recognize that a quality build can be expensive before you add your monitor on top of that. Even then, it still seems to me that an affordable console with a quality TV will cost you about the same as a quality PC paired with an affordable 144/165Hz monitor. I know which side of that equation I would rather fall on. Also, the first PC you build is the starting point of your upgrade path, whereas a game console is only a final destination. As I wrote above, the price delta is gone.

I suppose what initially threw me off here is when you wrote that monitors having lower latency than TVs is totally false. You then posted a bunch of charts that clearly show a range of monitors at or under 5ms next to a lot of TVs where you hope to get to 10ms in gaming mode depending on your resolution. I just don't see any reason not to keep switching my HDMI cable to a monitor the moment I take my console games online.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Your TV has a 60hz native refresh rate. The 120hz Clear Motion is marketing BS.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Most PC gamers will not own a 3080Ti.

Just looking at the proposition of having a 4K, HDR, 120Hz, low latency TV is easily going to put you in $1,500 territory. I watched the video you linked about budget gaming TVs and combined with a console you are still looking at a $1,200 proposition. That is the threshold where I tell someone who cares about gaming visuals to take full control over it and build their own PC. Yes, you are going to watch a lot more on that display than your console games but the same goes for your PC, especially with working from home in the current global situation and the productivity and comfort that cheap low latency monitors provide on that front.

This is subjective, but I have always sacrificed color and imaging for refresh rate and latency. My first high refresh monitor six years ago was somewhere from $200-250 and the 165Hz, 1440p, GSync Display I upgraded to was on sale for $364.83. Yes, I recognize that a quality build can be expensive before you add your monitor on top of that. Even then, it still seems to me that an affordable console with a quality TV will cost you about the same as a quality PC paired with an affordable 144/165Hz monitor. I know which side of that equation I would rather fall on. Also, the first PC you build is the starting point of your upgrade path, whereas a game console is only a final destination. As I wrote above, the price delta is gone.

I suppose what initially threw me off here is when you wrote that monitors having lower latency than TVs is totally false. You then posted a bunch of charts that clearly show a range of monitors at or under 5ms next to a lot of TVs where you hope to get to 10ms in gaming mode depending on your resolution. I just don't see any reason not to keep switching my HDMI cable to a monitor the moment I take my console games online.

Well, if you read again the title, it'll make more sense, as it's more of pairing consoles with tv's instead of monitors. TV's provide superior picture quality, and Sony just threw 7.2ms for 4K@120Hz, so 4K vs 4K it's near impossible now to find a monitor better than that. Samsung Q80T is doing a ridiculous 5.3ms for 1440p@120Hz if you go back to the chart, it's a bit confusing due to variable modes.

If you're a PC gamer you prefers shooters, then it's still better to have a monitor at 240-360Hz at lesser IQ for competitiveness. For consoles it doesn't make sense.

But the market is diverse, so everyone tailors his setup according to his taste and needs ;)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i was reading earlier that the c9 has 6ms input lag

Yup, 6.6ms at 1440p@120Hz according to:

But couldn't find the 4K@120Hz input lag, but here is CX

llllllllll.jpg

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Yup, 6.6ms at 1440p@120Hz according to:

But couldn't find the 4K@120Hz input lag, but here is CX

llllllllll.jpg
yeah really glad i went for the tv when i did so i’m ready for the next consoles, surprised that the CX shows 1440p @ 120hz at 7.3ms but the C9 shows 1440p @ 120hz at 6.6ms. also hoping they add support for freesync as i think it only supports g sync currently?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yeah really glad i went for the tv when i did so i’m ready for the next consoles, surprised that the CX shows 1440p @ 120hz at 7.3ms but the C9 shows 1440p @ 120hz at 6.6ms. also hoping they add support for freesync as i think it only supports g sync currently?

It has Freesync, but not sure if it'll support Freesync Premium like CX.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure honestly and wouldnt trade it with my Sony X900H though.

As a sucker punch to my plans, a sweet one, a7s III is being released! That will make me scrap Xperia 1 ii, XH90, I think. I wanna buy as much lenses ASAP! So might get the X900H (XH90) in early-mid 2021 or the newer 2021 models from Sony.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
In case anyone is thinking about getting a TV by TCL, here are some pictures that should give you an idea of what they're like in terms of picture quality. The TV on the left is a TCL 55R617; the TV on the right is an LG 43UH6500.

paJqbwn.jpg

YX48WVv.jpg

UqaOD1z.jpg

XzsCkVg.jpg

Here is the video that's playing on both TVs.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The new ROG monitor is compatible with next-generation consoles, with HDMI 2.1 giving it a full bandwidth of up to 48 Gbps to support 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) visuals at variable refresh rates of up to 120 Hz. Auto Low Latency also enables the game console to control the processing mode of the display, prioritizing low latency or processing quality depending on the content. Allion Labs subjected the monitor to stringent Fixed Rate Link (FRL) tests, including FRL Electrical, FRL Pixel Decoding and FRL Protocol tests, to ensure full compatibility with upcoming HDMI 2.1 devices.

“ROG is the first partner to provide a HDMI 2.1 gaming monitor for certification. As a leading test lab in the world, it’s our mission to assure products or services before they are launched. We are thrilled to be part of the success of ROG and this groundbreaking gaming monitor,” said Brian Shih, Vice President of Logo & HW Validation Consulting at Allion Labs.
With the impending arrival of next-generation gaming consoles later this year, ROG has an entire series of HDMI 2.1 gaming monitors for the holiday season. These monitors are available in 27-, 32- and 43-inch models.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Just pulled the trigger on a X900H (55 inch). Sony just lowered the general price, mediamarkt has a 150€ direct price reduction for sony tvs and the taxes are currently reduced.

I was set on a XG95 for better HDR and so on. The better smart tv experience, gaming features and the price sold me on the XH90 now.

Last edited:

Rikkori

should I wait for something with HDMI 2.1 or 2.0 is fine? been looking around on monitors and TV and some friend was telling me to wait for 2.1
If not on PC, there's less reason to wait. If you value picture quality more, there's also less reason to wait. Thing is, we need to know about 100 more things before we can give advice. Too bad we don't have a questionnaire template made. :messenger_crying:

If not on PC, there's less reason to wait. If you value picture quality more, there's also less reason to wait. Thing is, we need to know about 100 more things before we can give advice. Too bad we don't have a questionnaire template made. :messenger_crying:

haha, thanks. like I said before in this thread, I'm mostly looking for a monitor since TV is a little hard to do. mostly it'll be for when I put a new desktop together, hopefully when GPU price had gone down and I can get something like a 2080 for a decent price. but since talking to you guys, I've been looking into some TV also. still not too sure if I can do it since my living room situation is a little... problematic. I'm still looking into it thou.

Tygeezy

I can't f-with such a dim technology and burn in seals any chance of me ever using oled for more than a dark room non gaming tv.
SDR is meant to be 0-100 nits which is easily achievable on oled. Despite oled not getting as bright in HDR its typically more impressive due to better contrast with infinite ratio and not having blooming that lcd hdr is notorious for.

I’m looking to finally upgrade to 4K with this next console generation. I’m perfectly content with waiting until 2021 though. I would only use the tv for console gaming, broadcast tv, and UHD movies. Does it make sense to wait until next year given that the past two years of LCDs on the premium brands have been kind of downgrades or stagnant at best (Samsung and Sony)?

Top Bottom