• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
We just caught a porygon and named it AAI (A.I. or Advanced AI)

Perfect

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure what we're doing in the Seafoam Islands, but I know I hate it.

Just grind the team at the Cinnabar Mansion. It's close to a Pokemon Center so we don't have to worry about Parasect taking XP because we can just walk back to the center every time it's at the front of the party.

Azure J

Because they can't be caught in the game normally. This is a hacked rom they're using. The goal of this TPP run is a complete pokedex, so in order for that to happen all pokemon must be catchable.

I know about making everything catchable, but as I was playing through the game, I never really saw any of the starters, let alone any final forms in the wild. Would have been nice just for the novelty.

Toxi

Banned
There are people seriously saying we should use Democracy to move the party members around. For fuck's sake.

EDIT: We're now stuck on a single tile.

5ThM3xY.png

Temathael

This happened:
http://imgur.com/0jEE8Di

We won the Battle Tent somehow and got a bugged amount of money (999999 instead of 30K it was supposed to be). Bought a lot of stuff (99x Counter TMs and 5x Double Teams amongst others) and gambled at game corner, where managed to get the jackpot few times. Then the game was patched and our wrongly earned money taken away.

Then got stuck at Seafoam Island for a day waiting for democracy to kick in.

Double teams can be very useful if we can somehow teach them (did not do it in democracy):

Andrefpvs

This happened:
http://imgur.com/0jEE8Di

We won the Battle Tent somehow and got a bugged amount of money (999999 instead of 30K it was supposed to be). Bought a lot of stuff (99x Counter TMs and 5x Double Teams amongst others) and gambled at game corner, where managed to get the jackpot few times. Then the game was patched and our wrongly earned money taken away.

Then got stuck at Seafoam Island for a day waiting for democracy to kick in.

Double teams can be very useful if we can somehow teach them (did not do it in democracy):

Thanks for the detailed post! Very appreciated.

Temathael

This is truly the great grind of our time.

Truly. It has basically been a week of just grinding and trying to beat the ledge to Victory Road. Mostly boring, and the number of people watching the stream has been steadily degreasing.

The only things I can even remember mentioning from the past days are teaching Muk thunder and fighting Articuno.

Leech King putting in work. But now comes Blue....

EDIT: That bird vs bird double team off was something else. And Blue has his own Leech King!

Agatha used a super potion on Wheezing. Said Wheezing is level 96 so the 50 HP is really nothing. Did the elite four really use super potions in Gen 1? I thought it was hyper potions.

Just a heads up, we are at Elite 4 now.
When the hell did this happen? Last I saw of the stream was a few consecutive days on the route 23 ledge which made me think (we're never seeing Victory Road again) yet 24 hours pass and victory road is defeated.

L.O.R.D

i just start to watch again

that strange , why the elite 4 are very very strong ?
this is modded game ? not the same game they first play it ?
i don't remember lance have sedra

Thank goodness the grind is over.

EDIT: Oh my god. Zapdos held on at 1HP against Vaporeon (Blue's last pokemon), but we still used drill peck instead of thunder. That would have been an amazing clutch.

EDIT: Oh my god. Zapdos held on at 1HP against Vaporeon (Blue's last pokemon), but we still used drill peck instead of thunder. That would have been an amazing clutch.
There was Thunder PP left? Last time we got there we did 50% with drill peck as thunder had 0 PP. As for the screencap of 1HP moment. Here is an unintentionally scary one:
tppscare_zpseqrlw71v.png

edit: 264kb? sorry :(
I also have a really bad habit of tuning in just in time to see the party black out :L

Crayolan

i just start to watch again

that strange , why the elite 4 are very very strong ?
this is modded game ? not the same game they first play it ?
i don't remember lance have sedra

We're playing a modded version of the game with higher levels and the ability to catch all 151 pokemon.

So. Fucking. Close.
goddamnit.gif

Can't believe I'm missing the e4 runs :(

You're gonna miss the winning run, we're getting to Blue pretty consistently. Any run now could be it.

Crayolan

Damn, Cloyster's a boss! Looks like we kind of broke the AI at the end though since Vaporeon never attacked. A bit anticlimactic, but it's great that an unexpected team member became so useful. We gave 'em the clamps.

Oh wow I missed it. Anyone have a link to a youtube video or playback?

No doubt this was the longest beating the game run but I wonder how much longer. Also how far are we in the catching all pokemon goal?

I didn't know the game stuck you back at Palette down without healing. If we were poisoned it would be possible to black out and then where would be sent...

Oh fuck we went to bed...this looks familiar, didn't we go here in Johto?

Oh wow I missed it. Anyone have a link to a youtube video or playback?

No doubt this was the longest beating the game run but I wonder how much longer. Also how far are we in the catching all pokemon goal?
Keep an eye on this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskjCXK_u4EvFvXiPgezsEw/videos
In the successful run Zapdos faints fairly early into the Elite Four.

It says on the stream. at the bottom. We've caught 70 so less than half way there.

Growlie19

Should probably mention we captured Articuno a couple hours ago. It had ~2/3 HP left and was asleep; the second Ultra Ball stuck. Named it A unsurprisingly.

Top Bottom